Remote desktop over vpn

Hi
  one of my client is connecting to my network through vpn.
is there any possiblity to start a remote desktop or Dameware or some
desktop sharing tool to view his desktop??

renil

comp.security.firewalls 10672 articles. 0 followers. dfinc1988 (97) is leader. Post Follow

In article <1133193038.054285.173450@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
renil.lambert@gmail.com says...
> Hi
>   one of my client is connecting to my network through vpn.
> is there any possiblity to start a remote desktop or Dameware or some
> desktop sharing tool to view his desktop??

Run VNC on his computer and then connect to his private IP address back
through the VPN.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
> In article <1133193038.054285.173450@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> renil.lambert@gmail.com says...
>> Hi
>>   one of my client is connecting to my network through vpn.
>> is there any possiblity to start a remote desktop or Dameware or some
>> desktop sharing tool to view his desktop??
>
> Run VNC on his computer and then connect to his private IP address back
> through the VPN.

Those will only work if the VPN is configured to allow that, i.e. he has to
have a virtual IP and policies to allow the traffic.  Some boxes do that by
default, some allow you the option, some do not allow you to do it.  Depends
on both ends of the VPN.

You can get remote control of just about any PC with internet access via
http://www.gotomeeting.com.  A commercial service that I feel is well worth
the money for remote support of firewalled PC's.

If the VPN client doesn't allow Internet traffic out while on the VPN, and
doesn't allow a virtual IP connection back, you might be toast.  That seems
like an unlikely combination though.

-Russ.

0
Somebody
11/29/2005 2:12:38 AM
In article <vOOif.4223$43.3512@nnrp.ca.mci.com!nnrp1.uunet.ca>,
somebody.@spamout.russdoucet.com says...
> "Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
> > In article <1133193038.054285.173450@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> > renil.lambert@gmail.com says...
> >> Hi
> >>   one of my client is connecting to my network through vpn.
> >> is there any possiblity to start a remote desktop or Dameware or some
> >> desktop sharing tool to view his desktop??
> >
> > Run VNC on his computer and then connect to his private IP address back
> > through the VPN.
>
> Those will only work if the VPN is configured to allow that, i.e. he has to
> have a virtual IP and policies to allow the traffic.  Some boxes do that by
> default, some allow you the option, some do not allow you to do it.  Depends
> on both ends of the VPN.

Yes, but in most cases people posting to this group don't have their
firewall setup to restrict at the port/service level. I suspect that VNC
would work just fine.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
0
void6 (2855)
11/29/2005 2:43:56 AM

Leythos wrote:
> In article <vOOif.4223$43.3512@nnrp.ca.mci.com!nnrp1.uunet.ca>,
> somebody.@spamout.russdoucet.com says...
>
>>"Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message
>>
>>>In article <1133193038.054285.173450@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
>>>renil.lambert@gmail.com says...

>>>Run VNC on his computer and then connect to his private IP address back
>>>through the VPN.
>>
>>Those will only work if the VPN is configured to allow that, i.e. he has to
>>have a virtual IP and policies to allow the traffic.  Some boxes do that by
>>default, some allow you the option, some do not allow you to do it.  Depends
>>on both ends of the VPN.
>

> Yes, but in most cases people posting to this group don't have their
> firewall setup to restrict at the port/service level. I suspect that VNC
> would work just fine.

Unless expressly permitted, all traffic is implicitly denied.

That's how firewalls work. Why assume otherwise when responding to posts?

Triffid
0
triffid804 (163)
11/29/2005 3:59:34 AM
In article <EmQif.1580$Et5.123731@news20.bellglobal.com>,
triffid@nebula.net says...

> Leythos wrote:
> > In article <vOOif.4223$43.3512@nnrp.ca.mci.com!nnrp1.uunet.ca>,
> > somebody.@spamout.russdoucet.com says...
> >
> >>"Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message

> >>Those will only work if the VPN is configured to allow that, i.e. he has to
> >>have a virtual IP and policies to allow the traffic.  Some boxes do that by
> >>default, some allow you the option, some do not allow you to do it.  Depends
> >>on both ends of the VPN.
> >

> > Yes, but in most cases people posting to this group don't have their
> > firewall setup to restrict at the port/service level. I suspect that VNC
> > would work just fine.
>
> Unless expressly permitted, all traffic is implicitly denied.
>
> That's how firewalls work. Why assume otherwise when responding to posts?

Because that's not how many devices called Firewalls since the advent of
the NAT Router and Windows PPTP work. While my Watchguard or other
appliances may block by default, a simple Linksys/D-Link/Netgear where
the user creates a PPTP session to another network, will let the remote
network tunnel back through the VPN session to the host/host network
that created it without being blocked.

I am offended that the Marketing departments have been able to get away
with calling simple NAT solutions Firewalls when they are just routers.

While I can create, in essence, a 1-way VPN with port/IP limitations, in
my real firewalls, the cheap NAT units that also do IPSec tunnels (like
the Linksys BEFVP41) offer nothing more than a fully open 2-way
connection on their end. This means that unless one side is a real
firewall, one that allows rules to configure VPN traffic, that the user
could VNC back through the VPN to the users desktop (if they were
running VNC).

The reason I guess that they are not using real firewalls is based on
how the post was presented/worded - I suspect that neither side is using
a real firewall, only a cheap SOHO/residential solution. One other
thing, any admin that would post I have a firewall.... already knows how
to do what they asked here, so it was another reason to suspect they are
using cheap SOHO/Nat units.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
0
void6 (2855)
11/29/2005 11:09:27 AM
"Triffid" <triffid@nebula.net> wrote in message

> Leythos wrote:
>> In article <vOOif.4223$43.3512@nnrp.ca.mci.com!nnrp1.uunet.ca>,
>> somebody.@spamout.russdoucet.com says...
>>
>>>"Leythos" <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in message

>>>Those will only work if the VPN is configured to allow that, i.e. he has
>>>to have a virtual IP and policies to allow the traffic.  Some boxes do
>>>that by default, some allow you the option, some do not allow you to do
>>>it.  Depends on both ends of the VPN.
>>

>> Yes, but in most cases people posting to this group don't have their
>> firewall setup to restrict at the port/service level. I suspect that VNC
>> would work just fine.
>
> Unless expressly permitted, all traffic is implicitly denied.
>
> That's how firewalls work. Why assume otherwise when responding to posts?
>
> Triffid

90% of people, when configuring a VPN, configure it wide open, all ports and
protocols.

However, some devices allow traffic in only one direction for a software VPN
some both.  I suspect that is the OP's issue.

-Russ.

0
Somebody
> In article <EmQif.1580$Et5.123731@news20.bellglobal.com>,
> triffid@nebula.net says...
>>

>> Leythos wrote:
>> > In article <vOOif.4223$43.3512@nnrp.ca.mci.com!nnrp1.uunet.ca>,
>> > somebody.@spamout.russdoucet.com says...

>> > Yes, but in most cases people posting to this group don't have their
>> > firewall setup to restrict at the port/service level. I suspect that
>> > VNC
>> > would work just fine.
>>
>> Unless expressly permitted, all traffic is implicitly denied.
>>
>> That's how firewalls work. Why assume otherwise when responding to posts?
>
> Because that's not how many devices called Firewalls since the advent of
> the NAT Router and Windows PPTP work. While my Watchguard or other
> appliances may block by default, a simple Linksys/D-Link/Netgear where
> the user creates a PPTP session to another network, will let the remote
> network tunnel back through the VPN session to the host/host network
> that created it without being blocked.
>
> I am offended that the Marketing departments have been able to get away
> with calling simple NAT solutions Firewalls when they are just routers.
>
> While I can create, in essence, a 1-way VPN with port/IP limitations, in
> my real firewalls, the cheap NAT units that also do IPSec tunnels (like
> the Linksys BEFVP41) offer nothing more than a fully open 2-way
> connection on their end. This means that unless one side is a real
> firewall, one that allows rules to configure VPN traffic, that the user
> could VNC back through the VPN to the users desktop (if they were
> running VNC).
>
> The reason I guess that they are not using real firewalls is based on
> how the post was presented/worded - I suspect that neither side is using
> a real firewall, only a cheap SOHO/residential solution. One other
> thing, any admin that would post I have a firewall.... already knows how
> to do what they asked here, so it was another reason to suspect they are
> using cheap SOHO/Nat units.

Guys, it's software on the remote end, not hardware.

So as I've said, some software allows the remote end to be addressed from
the head office, some does not, some depends on the configuration.

-Russ.

0
Somebody
11/29/2005 8:58:35 PM
In article <6i3jf.4281$43.3327@nnrp.ca.mci.com!nnrp1.uunet.ca>,
somebody.@spamout.russdoucet.com says...
> > The reason I guess that they are not using real firewalls is based on
> > how the post was presented/worded - I suspect that neither side is using
> > a real firewall, only a cheap SOHO/residential solution. One other
> > thing, any admin that would post I have a firewall.... already knows how
> > to do what they asked here, so it was another reason to suspect they are
> > using cheap SOHO/Nat units.
>
> Guys, it's software on the remote end, not hardware.
>
> So as I've said, some software allows the remote end to be addressed from
> the head office, some does not, some depends on the configuration.

I think I've said the same - since we don't know, based on the
description, I figured it was not a quality VPN solution.

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
0
void6 (2855)
11/29/2005 9:04:57 PM
 >Yes, but in most cases people posting to this group don't have their
 >firewall setup to restrict at the port/service level. I suspect that
 >VNC would work just fine.
 >
 >90% of people, when configuring a VPN, configure it wide open, all
 >ports and protocols.

Can you define ASSUME?  Murphy will bite the user and the enterprise
that is silly enoungh to do either!

Even Joe XP/Home edition users are implementing deny all/all, so lot's
of luck.

--
---
Jeff B (remove the No-Spam to reply)
"Jeff B" <jbeardNo-Spam1185@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> >Yes, but in most cases people posting to this group don't have their
> >firewall setup to restrict at the port/service level. I suspect that VNC
> >would work just fine.
> >
> >90% of people, when configuring a VPN, configure it wide open, all ports
> >and protocols.
>
> Can you define ASSUME?  Murphy will bite the user and the enterprise that
> is silly enoungh to do either!
>
> Even Joe XP/Home edition users are implementing deny all/all, so lot's of
> luck.
>
> --
> ---
> Jeff B (remove the No-Spam to reply)

Jeff, how many corporate VPN's have you had experience with?

The suggestion that 90% of people configure a VPN wide open is, in my
*experience* approximately correct.  Perhaps 10 to 20 percent high, but no
more.

One of the first things we typically address when consulted.

The reason is that they use the tunnel to run a workstation from remote as
if it were on the LAN.  Have you ever tried to enumerate all the ports and
protocols required for a typical corporate workstation to do a domain log
in, run exchange, read file shares, print, hit a few client/server
applications, and allow the centrally managed coprorate update/virus/support
tools?  Once you open that much stuff up, you may as well open up the rest
because your behind is hanging out so far anyway on so many interesting
services...

-Russ.

0
Somebody
12/14/2005 4:57:21 PM
Somebody. <somebody.@spamout.russdoucet.com> wrote:
> The suggestion that 90% of people configure a VPN wide open is, in my
> *experience* approximately correct.  Perhaps 10 to 20 percent high, but no
> more.

The nicest I saw was at a company in Saragoza (Spain): VPN over several
locations in Spain, and then an unencrypted WiFi (WLAN) access point at
the center location in Saragoza, and _repeating_ all packages of the VPN
onto it ;-)

Yours,
VB.
--
"Ich bin ein freier Mensch und werde jetzt von meinen Freiheitsrechten
Gebrauch machen - und zwar ausgiebig - nat�rlich nur in dem Rahmen, den
"Volker Birk" <bumens@dingens.org> wrote in message
> Somebody. <somebody.@spamout.russdoucet.com> wrote:
>> The suggestion that 90% of people configure a VPN wide open is, in my
>> *experience* approximately correct.  Perhaps 10 to 20 percent high, but
>> no
>> more.
>
> The nicest I saw was at a company in Saragoza (Spain): VPN over several
> locations in Spain, and then an unencrypted WiFi (WLAN) access point at
> the center location in Saragoza, and _repeating_ all packages of the VPN
> onto it ;-)
>
> Yours,
> VB.

Egad...

Thanks for sharing... LOL...

-Russ.

0
Somebody
12/14/2005 5:13:13 PM
In article <V9Ynf.5062$43.2112@nnrp.ca.mci.com!nnrp1.uunet.ca>,
somebody.@spamout.russdoucet.com says...
> The suggestion that 90% of people configure a VPN wide open is, in my
> *experience* approximately correct.  Perhaps 10 to 20 percent high, but no
> more.
>
> One of the first things we typically address when consulted.
>
> The reason is that they use the tunnel to run a workstation from remote as
> if it were on the LAN.  Have you ever tried to enumerate all the ports and
> protocols required for a typical corporate workstation to do a domain log
> in, run exchange, read file shares, print, hit a few client/server
> applications, and allow the centrally managed coprorate update/virus/support
> tools?  Once you open that much stuff up, you may as well open up the rest
> because your behind is hanging out so far anyway on so many interesting
> services...

Wide open is not needed to permit a workstation to access the company
network - as most remote workstations only need to hit a limited number
of IP, you can setup a rule that only permits Remote IP to access Local
IP, while it's not a good solution, it does limit them to the resources
required.

I personally use VPN with IP:3389 to a fixed location so that they can
only RD into one node, no other ports, and it works quite well for all
of the users.

--

> In article <V9Ynf.5062$43.2112@nnrp.ca.mci.com!nnrp1.uunet.ca>,
> somebody.@spamout.russdoucet.com says...
>> The suggestion that 90% of people configure a VPN wide open is, in my
>> *experience* approximately correct.  Perhaps 10 to 20 percent high, but
>> no
>> more.
>>
>> One of the first things we typically address when consulted.
>>
>> The reason is that they use the tunnel to run a workstation from remote
>> as
>> if it were on the LAN.  Have you ever tried to enumerate all the ports
>> and
>> protocols required for a typical corporate workstation to do a domain log
>> in, run exchange, read file shares, print, hit a few client/server
>> applications, and allow the centrally managed coprorate
>> update/virus/support
>> tools?  Once you open that much stuff up, you may as well open up the
>> rest
>> because your behind is hanging out so far anyway on so many interesting
>> services...
>
> Wide open is not needed to permit a workstation to access the company
> network - as most remote workstations only need to hit a limited number
> of IP, you can setup a rule that only permits Remote IP to access Local
> IP, while it's not a good solution, it does limit them to the resources
> required.
>
> I personally use VPN with IP:3389 to a fixed location so that they can
> only RD into one node, no other ports, and it works quite well for all
> of the users.

Using just 3389 is a pretty easy way to grant pretty wide access with pretty
minimal exposure; one of my favorite methods.  And your other comments are
valid, I'm just relating what I've seen in the field.  When (if?) people try
to lock it down, application X doesn't work, application X's vendor doesn't
seem to be able to come up with a good explanation of what it does and it's
all over the map such that logging doesn't reveal a satisfactory answer, so
they leave it open.

Much better to use RDP IMHO.

-Russ.

0
Somebody

Citrix, VPN, Remote Desktop and Wireless security
I'm going to be opening a doctor's office, with a computer system run off a server in the office. I'd like to be able to access the system remotely when I'm sitting at home, or even in a coffee shop through their wireless network. I have 2 questions: 1) How do I best set up the access itself? I have been advised that the Windows remote desktop is the most economical approach to be able to get into my system, but I'm concerned that it might be slow. I've been advised to try GoToMyPC as well, but this would probably be slower than I'd like. Currently,...

Symantec 200R Firewall port forwarding remote desktop security
Hi, I have set up the 200R to allow a virtual server for port 3389 so that I can connect to our remote server using terminal services to the public Internet IP address. It all works OK but I have disabled it because of security reasons. Two questions:- Is there any way to tie down this access to my own PC or network? Can I make the port appear in Stealth mode rather than Open? Regards, Vic Vic Russell wrote: > Hi, > I have set up the 200R to allow a virtual server for port 3389 so that I > can connect to our remote server using terminal services to the public > Internet ...

Secure VPN Gateway
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------060408000501060608010104 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi all. I just want to make you aware of an exciting new piece of software that is available from www.ttc4it.co.nz I think you'll be interested in the software because it provides a very secure means of connecting to remote servers over unsecured networks like the Internet. It is like a VPN & Firewall system fused together to provide network port access to specific servers. The web management interface and the VPN client make this software; very secure, very easy to manage, and very easy to use. Special features have been built into it to defeat key logger software and man in the middle attacks. This is commercial software but there is a free trial version available that uses Vmware player to host the Secure VPN Gateway. Documentation and other details are freely available from www.ttc4it.co.nz Like all commercial software commercial support is provided. At Ttc4it you wont be wasting time dealing with help desks. Instead you are plugged in directly to the software developers. Better support means problems are fixed faster. Best wishes for the New Year. David Gempton Managing Director TTC LTD. --------------060408000501060608010104 Content-Type: text/x-vcard; charset=utf-8; name="davidg.vcf" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Disposition: attachment; filenam...

remote desktop security
Need to learn a little more about securing remote desktop. Using and SMC router with wep. Have a secret port accessed. Would prefer not to use my admin account when logging in, but if I leave the home computer on in a particular profile, I am not able to log into another one from a remote computer. That's confusing me. I guess I can leave on an admin account and then when I log in I may be able to log out and log into a non admin account. I'm wondering if any additional security is needed. I'm not an expert so I need plain english. Thank you. ...

Security programs 2005 - , Firewall programs 2005 -, Antivirus programs 2005 -, APPDEV DOT NET SECURITY, Linux Security and Firewall programs 2005 -, CiscoWorks ( CW ) Security programs 2005
Security programs 2005 - , Firewall programs 2005 -, Antivirus programs 2005 -, APPDEV DOT NET SECURITY, Linux Security and Firewall programs 2005 -, CiscoWorks ( CW ) Security programs 2005 - , ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Security programs 2005 - Utimaco SafeGuard Advanced Security v4.30.0.335 Multi CD NR 17 543 Utimaco SafeGuard Advanced Security v4.30.0.335 Terminal Server Base Module Multi CD NR 17 544 Utimaco SafeGuard Advanced Security v4.30.0.335 Terminal Server Multi CD NR 17 545 Symantec Norton Internet Security 2005 CD NR 17 234 Symantec Client Security Corporate Edition v2.0 CD NR 15 321 Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange 4.0 CD NR 13 364 Steganos Internet Security 7 CD NR 16 968 McAfee Internet Security Suite V7.0 2005 CD NR 16 727 Security Service (c) McAfee CD NR 11 362 Symantec Norton Internet Security v3.0 For Mac OSX CD NR 12 698 Microsoft Windows XP SP2, With Advanced Security Technologies. CD NR 16 244 PANDA PLATINUM INTERNET SECURITY V8.05 SUB100 CD NR 16 096 Panda Platinum Internet SEcurity *Englsih-Spanish* 14 184 IBM Tivoli Security Manager v5.1 (c) IBM CD NR 15 750 Finjan Vital Securit...

[...]

pgp programs 2005 -, Security programs 2005
pgp programs 2005 -, Security programs 2005 - , Firewall programs 2005 -, Antivirus programs 2005 -, APPDEV DOT NET SECURITY, Linux Security and Firewall programs 2005 -, CiscoWorks ( CW ) Security programs 2005 - , ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- pgp programs 2005 - PGP.CommandLine.for.Linux.v8.5.0 PGP.CommandLine.for.Solaris.v8.5.0 PGP.CommandLine.v8.5.0 (week 31/2004) PGP.Desktop.v8.1.for.Windows PGP.Personal.Desktop.v8.1.for.Macintosh (week 26/2004) PGP.Enterprise.v8.0.3 (week 49/20030 PGP.v8.0.3 (week 42/2003) 15/...

pgp programs 2005 -, Security programs 2005
pgp programs 2005 -, Security programs 2005 - , Firewall programs 2005 -, Antivirus programs 2005 -, APPDEV DOT NET SECURITY, Linux Security and Firewall programs 2005 -, CiscoWorks ( CW ) Security programs 2005 - , ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- pgp programs 2005 - PGP.CommandLine.for.Linux.v8.5.0 PGP.CommandLine.for.Solaris.v8.5.0 PGP.CommandLine.v8.5.0 (week 31/2004) PGP.Desktop.v8.1.for.Windows PGP.Personal.Desktop.v8.1.for.Macintosh (week 26/2004) PGP.Enterprise.v8.0.3 (week 49/20030 PGP.v8.0.3 (week 42/2003) 15/...

VPN with Remote Desktop Interface
The SonicWall 170 VPN works solidly and continuously. I can mount shared drives and see them. I can connect to one or another PC at the other end. I can use (1) FTP, (2) shared files and (3) mstsc.exe (remote desktop). However, if I do not run-something for a while the remote desktop boots me off. Has anyone else run into this? Rick Rick Merrill wrote: > The SonicWall 170 VPN works solidly and continuously. I can mount shared > drives and see them. I can connect to one or another PC at the other > end. I can use (1) FTP, (2) shared files and (3) mstsc.exe (remot...

VPN/Remote Desktop From Linux?
Anybody doing it? My agenda is that I may have to get a laptop - which will be pretty much dedicated to VPN/Remote Desktop-ing to other systems and I'm thinking maybe putting Linux on it might save me a buck and make it a little faster/quicker to boot and more malware-resistant while letting me get my feet wet w/Linux. -- PeteCresswell On 11/04/2007 03:27, (PeteCresswell) wrote: > My agenda is that I may have to get a laptop - which will be > pretty much dedicated to VPN/Remote Desktop-ing to other systems > and I'm thinking maybe putting Linux on it might save me a buck &g...

Remote Desktop with Contivity VPN Client?
I'm running Nortel Contivity VPN client v04_86.102 and Windows XP Pro with SP2. I need to use Remote Desktop from my primary laptop to control the computer which is running the Nortel Contivity VPN client, however as soon as I start the Nortel Contivity VPN client, the Remote Desktop connection drops and cannot be reestablished while the VPN client is running. Both systems are on the same local LAN. I searched the forums and didn't see a fix for my particular issue. I don't think I can configure "split tunneling" because my client doesn't have a op...

Remote Desktop Web Connection Security
So I've got a Linksys wireless router (BEFW11S4 v2) and an XP machine that has the following things setup: Internet Connection Firewall Enabled with Port 3200 and the same with port 3389. IIS Setup to run on Port 3200. Remote Assistance and Remote Desktop enabled and a user selected. Router has IPSec and PPTP Pass Through Enabled MTU is set to 1482 and Enabled DMZ Host is set to XP machine's IP address Ports 3200 and 3389 are set to use both TCP and UDP and are forwarded to the XP Machine's IP address In this way using these settings I've been able to connect t...

Solidworks, VPN, Remote Desktop Connection
Has anybody ever tried to use Solidworks using a VPN connection and Remote Desktop? What I mean is, having Solidworks installed on a machine at work and then using VPN and Remote Desktop from home to access the machine and run Solidworks that way. Richard Yes I have. In my experience, VPN is just way too slow to open up assemblies of any size. Individual parts and part drawings may be ok if you are not in a big hurry. Just remember, every time you save a file, it saves it through the VPN also. If you really want to use VPN, I advise simply copying your files from work to home (still s...

VPN from home to connect remotely to my desktop at work
My Boss gave me an asante VPN box so that I can access work PC from home. Our companys network is managed by a company called NIS. My question is, when I am NOT connected to my desktop at work does our IT company have the ablity to "trace" where people in my home have been on the web? We all share the same PC Thanks Tom <trg040@charter.net> wrote: > My question is, when I am NOT connected to my desktop at work does our > IT company have the ablity to "trace" where people in my home have > been on the web? THey could conceivably look at you...

Secure Point Personal firewall & VPN
Has anyone tried this product, or is anyone familiar with how to set it up for file sharing on a home network. I tried using the library rules for printer and file sharing and Microsoft Networks, but it won't recognize any of my PC's. I'm assuming additional rules may be needed. In article <hWbGc.28742$7t3.7318@attbi_s51>, optikl@invalid.net says... > Has anyone tried this product, or is anyone familiar with how to set it > up for file sharing on a home network. I tried using the library rules > for printer and file sharing and Microsoft Networks, but it won...

Small office firewall/vpn/security appliance
We are setting up a new office network and would like some advise/experience on firewalls. I have looked at the messages but am still confused :) Today we have a single external connection (business cable 2/4) but may want to expand with a backup. There will be 2-3 externally visible servers with their own IP and a small LAN - 15 users. We need VPN access (10 licenses) to the servers for external users. We will probably set up the internal lan using a "store" router for NAT but could also use the firewalls NAT. We would like (of course) as much protection as we can get ...

Need help with Remote desktop and VPN woes
Please let me know what the answer to my questions might be if you have the time and relevent info. -------------------- --environment info-- -------------------- Ok, I'm using a watchguard III 700 firewall with a Windows 2000 native Active Directory private I.P. network behind it and available public I.P. addresses, a pptp type vpn using the Windows XP vpn client with the firewall, and I'm having a couple problems which are defying my understanding aside from some wild theories. I'm probably missing something most network admins with more experience and training know so I ask y...

VPN Symantec Gateway Security
Hi all. Can anybody help me to following problem? I have to connect a Symantec Gateway Security 5400 Series (SGS) to a Checkpoint firewall. Only some Client's behind the SGS should be able to connect to the Checkpoint firewall per Checkpoint Client Software. The Checkpoint Client Software tell me, that the VPN connection works. But i can't reach any host in the network behind the Checkpoint Firewall. The Administrator of the Checkpoint Firewall (CPF) told me that all packages leave the firewall correct, so it seems the SGS is probably not configure right. A VPN connection without SGS, only the Checkpoint Client Software, is working great. So, the problem is really the SGS and its configuration. Greetings Stefan sk71@gmx.de wrote: > Hi all. > > Can anybody help me to following problem? > > I have to connect a Symantec Gateway Security 5400 Series (SGS) to a > Checkpoint firewall. Only some Client's behind the SGS should be able > to connect to the Checkpoint firewall per Checkpoint Client Software. > > The Checkpoint Client Software tell me, that the VPN connection works. > But i can't reach any host in the network behind the Checkpoint > Firewall. The Administrator of the Checkpoint Firewall (CPF) told me > that all packages leave the firewall correct, so it seems the SGS is > probably not configure right. > > A VPN connection without SGS, only the Checkpoint Client Software, is > working great. > S...

Need help with Remote desktop and VPN woes
Please let me know what the answer to my questions might be if you have the time and relevent info. -------------------- --environment info-- -------------------- Ok, I'm using a watchguard III 700 firewall with a Windows 2000 native Active Directory private I.P. network behind it and available public I.P. addresses, a pptp type vpn using the Windows XP vpn client with the firewall, and I'm having a couple problems which are defying my understanding aside from some wild theories. I'm probably missing something most network admins with more experience and training know so I ask y...

VPN/Remote Desktop Connection: How To Teach It A New PW?
When I VPN to a certain PC and then bring up Remote Desktop Connection's logon dialog, the dialog is always populated with the wrong (I assume an old...) password. I fill in the current PW, and everything's OK. But how do I teach it the new one so it defaults to the new one next time around. I've tried re-booting the remote PC, but no luck. Is this thing on my end or the remote PC's end? Any idea how to remedy it? -- PeteCresswell ...

Remote desktop connection via DSL-500 firewall.
Hi I have a DSL-500 with the latest firmware loaded, NAT enabled, a DMZ setup to a non-existent IP (stealthed ports), and port 3389 forwarded to a PC on the LAN (192.168.0.111). If the firewall is disabled, remote desktop works fine. If I enable the firewall RDP doesn't work. Q1. Is the firewall really necessary, since all ports except 3389 are stealthed, and all PC's are behind NAT? Q2. What, if any, are the security implications of leaving port 3389 open? Q3. Has anyone successfully got RDP working with the DSL-500 firewall? The rule (one of many) I have setup to allow port 33...

Possible to Remote desktop through a Sonicwall TZ-170 without VPN?
I have tried port forwarding on this with no luck on either standard (3389) or non standard ports. Do I have to have a VPN in order to use Remote Desktop? -Jim ...

Secure Pix 506 Firewall/Cisco 2610 Router VPN?
Hello All- I am beginning my journey on learning how to administer our Pix Firewall and Router. I have the task of setting up our companys first VPN. Can someone please, off me an idea of how or what I need to do to setup a VPN using this firewall and router. I have cisco VPN client software for the mobile users. I am running windows 2003 server with about 25 mobile users that use ATT Aircards to connect to the Internet. Thank you for all your help and thoughts! to start see http://cco.cisco.com/en/US/customer/tech/tk583/tk372/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080093f6a.shtml...

Web resources about - Remote desktop over vpn - comp.security.firewalls

Active Desktop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Windows 95 or NT 4.0 with Internet Explorer 4.0, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows ME, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 Active Desktop was a feature ...

Opera's desktop browser adds a built-in ad-blocker
... ads at the network level . And, as of today, Opera Software is also a member of this group. Opera Software just announced that its desktop ...

Snapchat used the Oscars to launch its web player — finally a way to share Snaps on desktop
... move from Snapchat to make content on the app more shareable. Until now, the only way to share a Snap (or a Snap from a Live Story) on desktop ...

This Russian all-in-one desktop is just quirky enough to attract attention
... left over from 1999. The latest entrant seems more promising but is still one to file under "curiosity." It's a 21.5-inch all-in-one desktop ...

Opera's desktop web browser gets built-in ad blocking
If you use a major desktop web browser, you usually have to hunt down an ad blocking add-on if you're determined to purge intrusive promos from ...

Computer Sales Continue to Evolve Away From Desktop PCs, Says Report
As desktop PC sales continue to fade, steady sales of laptops and portables appear to debunk the idea that PCs are dead, the report finds.

AMD launches XConnect, partners with Intel, Razer to drive desktop gaming on laptops
AMD's XConnect is designed to bridge the gap between mobile and desktop-class gaming hardware and give gamers the advantages of both.

AMD's XConnect Allows You To Connect Desktop Graphics Cards To Your Laptop For Better Performance
AMD's XConnect Allows You To Connect Desktop Graphics Cards To Your Laptop For Better Performance

Issue references and @mentions for GitHub Desktop
GitHub Desktop on both Windows and Mac now provides suggestions when mentioning team members, referencing Issues, and adding more to your commit ...

There's A Great New Google Music Desktop Player For Mac
There's good news for fans of Google Play Music, the search giant's answer to iTunes and Spotify. An updated version of Google Play Music Desktop ...