Symantec 200R Firewall port forwarding remote desktop security

Hi,
I have set up the 200R to allow a virtual server for port 3389 so that I can
connect to our remote server using terminal services to the public Internet
IP address.  It all works OK but I have disabled it because of security
reasons.  Two questions:-

Is there any way to tie down this access to my own PC or network?

Can I make the port appear in Stealth mode rather than Open?

Regards,

Vic

0
nospam21 (19047)
8/13/2004 7:00:51 PM
comp.security.firewalls 10672 articles. 0 followers. dfinc1988 (97) is leader. Post Follow

Vic Russell wrote:

> Hi,
> I have set up the 200R to allow a virtual server for port 3389 so that I
> can connect to our remote server using terminal services to the public
> Internet
> IP address.  It all works OK but I have disabled it because of security
> reasons.  Two questions:-
>
> Is there any way to tie down this access to my own PC or network?
>
> Can I make the port appear in Stealth mode rather than Open?
>
> Regards,
>
> Vic

My opinion, stop using ICS and such things.  Have a router + firewall do
that job, the machines can just sit on their own cables.

--
You should go home.

0
neosad1st (530)
8/13/2004 6:44:05 PM
On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 19:00:51 GMT, Vic Russell spoketh

>Hi,
>I have set up the 200R to allow a virtual server for port 3389 so that I can
>connect to our remote server using terminal services to the public Internet
>IP address.  It all works OK but I have disabled it because of security
>reasons.  Two questions:-
>
>Is there any way to tie down this access to my own PC or network?
>
>Can I make the port appear in Stealth mode rather than Open?
>
>Regards,
>
>Vic

No, there's no way to do this on the 200R. Stealth and open are mutually
exclusive. If it's stealth, it's closed, and if it's open, it cannot be
stealth.

What you can do, is use IPSec policies to lock down which IP addresses
can access the terminal server...

The best solution would be VPN. Then the service would not be publicly
accessible at all, and the 200R should support both site to site and
client connections.

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net
badnews (1010)
8/13/2004 8:09:53 PM
Thanks for that Lars. I do use a VPN from home and it works fine. However,
we use an ISA in the office and the protocols used by the Symantec 200R at
the remote site are not compatible. Can anyone recommend a firewall to
replace the 200R which is a realistic price, secure and compatible with ISA.
Or maybe an upgrade of ISA to the new 2004 version is the answer.

Regards,

Vic
"Lars M. Hansen" <badnews@hansenonline.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 19:00:51 GMT, Vic Russell spoketh
>
> >Hi,
> >I have set up the 200R to allow a virtual server for port 3389 so that I
can
> >connect to our remote server using terminal services to the public
Internet
> >IP address.  It all works OK but I have disabled it because of security
> >reasons.  Two questions:-
> >
> >Is there any way to tie down this access to my own PC or network?
> >
> >Can I make the port appear in Stealth mode rather than Open?
> >
> >Regards,
> >
> >Vic
> >

> No, there's no way to do this on the 200R. Stealth and open are mutually
> exclusive. If it's stealth, it's closed, and if it's open, it cannot be
> stealth.
>
> What you can do, is use IPSec policies to lock down which IP addresses
> can access the terminal server...
>
> The best solution would be VPN. Then the service would not be publicly
> accessible at all, and the 200R should support both site to site and
> client connections.
>
> Lars M. Hansen
> http://www.hansenonline.net
> (replace 'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)

0
nospam21 (19047)

Security programs 2005 - , Firewall programs 2005 -, Antivirus programs 2005 -, APPDEV DOT NET SECURITY, Linux Security and Firewall programs 2005 -, CiscoWorks ( CW ) Security programs 2005
Security programs 2005 - , Firewall programs 2005 -, Antivirus programs 2005 -, APPDEV DOT NET SECURITY, Linux Security and Firewall programs 2005 -, CiscoWorks ( CW ) Security programs 2005 - , ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Security programs 2005 - Utimaco SafeGuard Advanced Security v4.30.0.335 Multi CD NR 17 543 Utimaco SafeGuard Advanced Security v4.30.0.335 Terminal Server Base Module Multi CD NR 17 544 Utimaco SafeGuard Advanced Security v4.30.0.335 Terminal Server Multi CD NR 17 545 Symantec Norton Internet Security 2005 CD NR 17 234 Symantec Client Security Corporate Edition v2.0 CD NR 15 321 Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange 4.0 CD NR 13 364 Steganos Internet Security 7 CD NR 16 968 McAfee Internet Security Suite V7.0 2005 CD NR 16 727 Security Service (c) McAfee CD NR 11 362 Symantec Norton Internet Security v3.0 For Mac OSX CD NR 12 698 Microsoft Windows XP SP2, With Advanced Security Technologies. CD NR 16 244 PANDA PLATINUM INTERNET SECURITY V8.05 SUB100 CD NR 16 096 Panda Platinum Internet SEcurity *Englsih-Spanish* 14 184 IBM Tivoli Security Manager v5.1 (c) IBM CD NR 15 750 Finjan Vital Securit...

[...]

pgp programs 2005 -, Security programs 2005
pgp programs 2005 -, Security programs 2005 - , Firewall programs 2005 -, Antivirus programs 2005 -, APPDEV DOT NET SECURITY, Linux Security and Firewall programs 2005 -, CiscoWorks ( CW ) Security programs 2005 - , ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- pgp programs 2005 - PGP.CommandLine.for.Linux.v8.5.0 PGP.CommandLine.for.Solaris.v8.5.0 PGP.CommandLine.v8.5.0 (week 31/2004) PGP.Desktop.v8.1.for.Windows PGP.Personal.Desktop.v8.1.for.Macintosh (week 26/2004) PGP.Enterprise.v8.0.3 (week 49/20030 PGP.v8.0.3 (week 42/2003) 15/...

pgp programs 2005 -, Security programs 2005
pgp programs 2005 -, Security programs 2005 - , Firewall programs 2005 -, Antivirus programs 2005 -, APPDEV DOT NET SECURITY, Linux Security and Firewall programs 2005 -, CiscoWorks ( CW ) Security programs 2005 - , ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- pgp programs 2005 - PGP.CommandLine.for.Linux.v8.5.0 PGP.CommandLine.for.Solaris.v8.5.0 PGP.CommandLine.v8.5.0 (week 31/2004) PGP.Desktop.v8.1.for.Windows PGP.Personal.Desktop.v8.1.for.Macintosh (week 26/2004) PGP.Enterprise.v8.0.3 (week 49/20030 PGP.v8.0.3 (week 42/2003) 15/...

Security check on firewall and workstations behind the firewall
Hi, What procedures should be carried out to thoroughly check security on a network comprised of one Windows 2000 Server running the CHX-I packet filter from http://www.idrci.net (and also configured to do NAT and share an internet connection) and several Windows 2000 Professional workstations ? It's two things that I have to analyze: 1) Security on the server itself, and 2) (In)accessibility to internal workstations from the public Internet. E-mail and web surfing are the only Internet services -so to say- they are allowed to do. I would like to know what is the standard procedure to carry out such checks, I mean, what tests should be done and what software tools (from Microsoft or third parties) for security analysis/audit should be used. As an additional note, the operating system on the server and workstations is automatically updated and Norton Antivirus (retail version on the workstations and Corporate Edition on the server) is installed. Thank you. Fernando Ronci E-mail: fernandoronci@hotmail.com ...

security of reverse port on the firewall
I can't seem to find any discussions on the security of opening a reverse port of a firewall for NTP. I would have thought this was a fairly important point of discussion or is it not? Can anyone point me to info on this item? Don Don S wrote: >I can't seem to find any discussions on the security of opening a reverse >port of a firewall for NTP. I would have thought this was a fairly important >point of discussion or is it not? Can anyone point me to info on this item? > >Don > > If you limit port 123 to UDP, I don't see that there is much, if any, hazard...

How secure is the security from my security form?
Hey, I have a question about how secure the following will be.... I want to have a login form that posts to itself, so when it loads it checks if there is a username and password on the query list. If there is not, it asks for one. If there is, it checks to see if the information is valid. If it is not valid, it deletes the attributes and calls itself again. If it is valid it sets a particular session variable to be some value and redirects to the next page. Every page from there on in will check to see if the session variable is set and if not will redirect back to the login page. Are ...

Security
I've been doing some investigation into a little problem with privileges. And this is what I have found. If you want to access an Informix database via ODBC and your normal login and password are restricted then set up your odbc connection with no user name and password and you can do anything. This is what I did to prove it. 1. I created a new database called security. 2. I added two tables - opentab and securetab 3. I revoked all permissions on securetab from public 4. I granted connect to public. 5. From MS-Access I set up a new database 6. I used "link-tables" to add a new odbc connection with no username or password, and to link both tables. 7. I could SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE from both tables. 8. I then deleted both tables from my access database. and used control panel to remove the odbc connection. 9. I then repeated steps 5-7 but with a valid username and password. 10. I couldn't access the securetab. So, using a username and password is secure but not using a username and password gives full access. Can anybody spot anything wrong in my reasoning? BTW I have done this on IDS 9.4, running on AIX 5.2, and I was running Windows XP with MS-Access 2002 SP3, and Informix-Client SDK version 2.81 regards Malcolm mweallans@panacea.co.uk wrote: > I've been doing some investigation into a little problem with > privileges. And this is what I have found. > > If you want to acces...

Symantec Enterprise Firewall Port Forward
Does anyone know how to forward packets in a symantec firewall without the source port being nat'ed? I've used the Port Redirect feature however this changes the source port to be the ip of the inside interface. I am using this to implement port knocking. Jules wrote: > Does anyone know how to forward packets in a symantec firewall without > the source port being nat'ed? > > I've used the Port Redirect feature however this changes the source > port to be the ip of the inside interface. > > I am using this to implement port knocking. > Jules, Everything runs through proxies unless you use an "interface filter." An interface filter should do the trick, but please be VERY careful or you'll hang yourself. I'd suggest reading the docs a few times ahead of time. Scott R. Haven Sr. Systems Engineer Paisley Systems Inc. managed services, consulting, and support www.paisleysystems.com ...

Configuring F-Secure Firewall Ports
Hi, I am trying to get my firewall ports forwarded to use bit torrent (easytree.org). When I go into F-Secure, it asks me for "Initiator" and "Responder" ports. Which ports should I designate for each? Are 6881-6889 the "Initiator" ports? After my username on easytree it shows 26074 as being the blocked port. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks! Sophie Use TCP 6969 as the Initiator and TCP 6881-6889 as the Responder Activate by selecting the above service under the Rules tab take a note on the order of the rules though, your deny everything should be at the bottom On 24 Dec 2004 05:20:04 -0800, "TheHeid" <paul_hamlet@hotmail.com> wrote: >Use TCP 6969 as the Initiator and TCP 6881-6889 as the Responder >Activate by selecting the above service under the Rules tab ...

Symantec Client Firewall
Hey fellows, I have a XP Home system with Symantec Client Firewall runnning - and it seems quite good! I also have the eMule application running - please can anyone tell me how to set up a good rule in Symantec so that I keep out hackers and at the same time get my downloads? Thanks Mike MichaelFA wrote: > Hey fellows, I have a XP Home system with Symantec Client Firewall > runnning - and it seems quite good! > > I also have the eMule application running - please can anyone tell me how to > set up a good rule in Symantec so that I keep out hackers and at the same > time get my downloads? > Thanks > Mike > > I have NIS on XP and it works well. there are two rules you want for sure in this order (this is your local stuff) 1) all to/from 127.0.0.1 tcp+udp (your LAN for file/print sharing) 2) allow to/from 192.168.0.1 thru 0.255 tcp+udp do not port forward anything from your router and things should be fine. if you get prompted allow program xxx.exe to access the internet? make your choice and let it autoconfigure. eg: your browser & email programs should be allowed some xyz.ocx (ActiveX) or xyz.exe you've never heard of --- maybe/maybe not. MS/xp has several services that need access too svchost lsass spoolsv (for print sharing) smss (file sharing) -- --- Jeff B (remove the No-Spam to reply) ...

VPN Symantec Gateway Security
Hi all. Can anybody help me to following problem? I have to connect a Symantec Gateway Security 5400 Series (SGS) to a Checkpoint firewall. Only some Client's behind the SGS should be able to connect to the Checkpoint firewall per Checkpoint Client Software. The Checkpoint Client Software tell me, that the VPN connection works. But i can't reach any host in the network behind the Checkpoint Firewall. The Administrator of the Checkpoint Firewall (CPF) told me that all packages leave the firewall correct, so it seems the SGS is probably not configure right. A VPN connection without SGS, only the Checkpoint Client Software, is working great. So, the problem is really the SGS and its configuration. Greetings Stefan sk71@gmx.de wrote: > Hi all. > > Can anybody help me to following problem? > > I have to connect a Symantec Gateway Security 5400 Series (SGS) to a > Checkpoint firewall. Only some Client's behind the SGS should be able > to connect to the Checkpoint firewall per Checkpoint Client Software. > > The Checkpoint Client Software tell me, that the VPN connection works. > But i can't reach any host in the network behind the Checkpoint > Firewall. The Administrator of the Checkpoint Firewall (CPF) told me > that all packages leave the firewall correct, so it seems the SGS is > probably not configure right. > > A VPN connection without SGS, only the Checkpoint Client Software, is > working great. > S...

Configuring F-Secure Firewall Ports for Bit Torrent
Hi, I am trying to get my firewall ports forwarded to use bit torrent (easytree.org). When I go into F-Secure, it asks me for "Initiator" and "Responder" ports. Which ports should I designate for each? Are 6881-6889 the "Initiator" ports? After my username on easytree it shows 26074 as being the blocked port. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks! Sophie ...

firewall symantec 320 security gateway password recover
Hi, is there a way to recover username and password of this appliance? I wouldn't reset the box because I will loose all the configuration, but the final customer doesn't remember username and password and I have to make some modify to the configuration. I remembet that in zyxel products you could access to a text base configuration connetting to serial port of the firewall. Is it possible also with thi symantec appliance? With zywall if you connect via serial port you don't need password. thank you marco :. mrcmobile wrote: > Hi, is there a way to recover username and password of this appliance? > I wouldn't reset the box because I will loose all the configuration, but the > final customer doesn't remember username and password and I have to make > some modify to the configuration. You should smack the user up side the head. > I remembet that in zyxel products you could access to a text base > configuration connetting to serial port of the firewall. > Is it possible also with thi symantec appliance? With zywall if you connect > via serial port you don't need password. > thank you > Hard reset to get user ID and password back to out of the box default settings and re-configure. And again, smack the user up side the head. > You should smack the user up side the head. > >> I remembet that in zyxel products you could access to a text base >> configuration connetting to serial port of t...

Why is port forwarding more secure than opening up a port?
I have never understood this very well, here is my current grasp of it.. If I open up port 110 on my router: 1. If hacker is probing random IP addresses on that port, I will be flagged as open and he will come back and pay me a visit. 2. Any Trojans, viruses, or other malware that works its way into PCs via port 110 will eventually stumble across my open port and infect me. Alternatively, if I "forward" port 110 to say 192.168.0.5 (my pop3 server PC): 1. If hacker is probing random IP addresses on that port, will I will be flagged as closed? stealthed? worth a second visit? 2. Any Trojans, viruses or other port 110 malware will squirm through my router and arrive at 192.168.0.5?? Please can someone clear this up for me. Thanks Paul "Paul H" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:%Ifwd.453$JI3.381@newsfe1-win.ntli.net... > I have never understood this very well, here is my current grasp of it.. > > If I open up port 110 on my router: > > 1. If hacker is probing random IP addresses on that port, I will be flagged > as open and he will come back and pay me a visit. Very unlikely. I'm not running anything on 110 here and I've forgotten when I last saw anything directed at 110. > > 2. Any Trojans, viruses, or other malware that works its way into PCs via > port 110 will eventually stumble across my open port and infect me. What did you mean by "open up port 110 on my router"? It does no...

Symantec Client Security ~ Firewall: Implicit deny in rules? Reading Logs?
Hello, My company uses Symantec Client Security 5.x which has both SCS Anti-virus ( basically Norton 8.X) and SCS Firewall (may be similar to Norton PF I haven't used NPF). I was hoping anyone familiar with SCS Firewall could fill me in on a couple of questions: 1. Do the rule lists you build for programs have an implicit deny in them? The interface is very poor and time wasting for adding rules and I am sick of having to manually add block rules at the end of my lists because I don't know if there's an implicit DENY Cisco ACL style 2. When reading the logs I can barely get a l...

Symantec Client Security 3.0
Hi: Running a small network with 2 Windows 2003 Server SP1 machines (Active Directory) and a handful of Windows XP SP2 workstations, along with Symantec Client Security, installed 3.0, updated to 3.0.1, then 3.0.2.2000, finally 3.0.2.2020. Some of the machines were installed with 3.0.2.2000 directly then updated to 2020. Most workstations are fine, but 2 refuse to get the firewall policy updates when rolled out. In the administration snap-in, I get under the status column: Policy Import Failure I can't find anything on the error message online. I've also tried importing using FIO, but that doesn't seem to work either. Anyone? Thanks Ken ...

How to write transparent FTP or HTTP forwarding rules for PF using Firewall Builder (security/fwbuilder)
(This assumes a working knowledge of the PF firewall software and the "Firewall Builder":http://www.fwbuilder.org/ tool.) I use Firewall Builder to manage my Linux and FreeBSD firewalls. As you may know, the PF firewall software (now included with FreeBSD 5.3) does not have an in-kernel FTP proxy. One must explicitly activate a proxy, forward FTP command channel connections to the proxy, and allow passive-mode FTP data connections to the proxy (as described in "PF: Issues with FTP":http://www.openbsd.org/faq/pf/ftp.html). Typical pf.conf entries look similar to the following:: # forward FTP connections to the proxy rdr on $intif proto tcp from any to any port 21 -> 127.0.0.1 port 8021 # active mode transfers occur with the client listening for a # connection from the FTP server pass in quick on $extif inet proto tcp from port 20 to ($extif) user proxy flags S/SA keep state The FTP proxy is usually run out of inetd with inetd.conf entries similar to what follows:: # FTP proxy service, with NAT support enabled ftp-proxy stream tcp nowait root /usr/libexec/ftp-proxy ftp-proxy -n With a few minor changes to the inetd.conf entry, and with the proper object, service, and rule definitions, one can easily generate the proper PF configuration entries using Firewall Builder. First, reconfigure the FTP proxy service to listen on port 21 (ftp), instead of 8021 (ftp-proxy). "rdr" NAT rules are executed ...

Symantec Mail Security and Web Security
Hey Everyone, I know there are issues with installing Symantec Web Security with Mail-Gear on the same server (Symantec Document ID:2002032810315554). My question is whether there are issues with Symantec Web Security and Symantec Mail Security residing on the same box? Thanks. ...

Ports for DB2 behind firewall / ssh port forward
hi newsgroup, I'd like to connect to a remote DB2 Database V 8.2 using the "DB2 Steuerzentrale" (I guess it's called something like "DB2 management console" in the English version). Since the database host is behind a firewall I tried to communicate through ssh port forwarding. Therefore, I run: ssh -L 6789:remotename:6789 -L 50000:remotename:50000 -L 50001:remotename:50001 -L 523:remotename:523 remotename Though the ssh connection is established, my "DB2 Steuerzentrale" won't connect to localhost successfully and shows an error num...

remote desktop security
Need to learn a little more about securing remote desktop. Using and SMC router with wep. Have a secret port accessed. Would prefer not to use my admin account when logging in, but if I leave the home computer on in a particular profile, I am not able to log into another one from a remote computer. That's confusing me. I guess I can leave on an admin account and then when I log in I may be able to log out and log into a non admin account. I'm wondering if any additional security is needed. I'm not an expert so I need plain english. Thank you. ...

Network Security and Firewalls
I'm looking for some more good links on network security and firewall links like http://www.distributednetworks.com/ Thanks, Tom On 15-Feb-2006, "ewebxml@gmail.com" <ewebxml@gmail.com> wrote: > I'm looking for some more good links on network security and > firewall links like > http://www.distributednetworks.com/ Have you tried www.securityfocus.com ? -- We apologize for the inconvenience On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 22:24:14 GMT, ArtDent wrote: > > On 15-Feb-2006, "ewebxml@gmail.com" <ewebxml@gmail.com> wrote: > > > I'm looking for some more good links on network security and > > firewall links like > > http://www.distributednetworks.com/ > > Have you tried www.securityfocus.com ? I see your excellent securityfocus and raise you a couple of urls I posted on the subject back in 2001: - http://sec.isi.salford.ac.uk/download/Firewalls.PDF - http://www.cert.org/security-improvement/modules/m08.html - http://www.cert.org/security-improvement/practices/p053.html - http://www.sage.org/resources/best.of/firewall.mm - http://www.spirit.com/Network/net0597.txt - http://www.networkcomputing.com/1018/1018ws1.html added with a few (not new but) increasingly useful resources: - http://www.sans.org/ - http://www.google.com/search?q=network+security+resources - http://www.google.com/search?q=firewall+resources - http://tinyurl.com/bmczw (Amazons list of Network Security books, sorte...

ICT firewall Security
Need a good firewall thats tailored for your needs? I suggest http://www.ultrasecure-it.co.uk/ They were very helpful to me and I'd recommend giving them a try . They even have a free trial which helped a lot. Happy surfing! 8-) ...

Web resources about - Symantec 200R Firewall port forwarding remote desktop security - comp.security.firewalls

Call forwarding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Call forwarding , or call diversion , is a telephony feature of some telephone switching systems which redirects a telephone call to another ...

Facebook Messenger For IOS Adds Groups, Message Forwarding
Facebook released version 4.0 of its Messenger application for iOS , and the major additions were the ability to create groups , and the ability ...

Choice urges IP spoofing for better IT prices - Parliament, House, prices, iTunes, guide, US forwarding ...
Consumers should spoof their IP address and use US forwarding addresses to beat high IT prices in Australia, consumer advocacy group Choice said. ...

Martin Taupau email mix-up highlights legal risks of forwarding misdirected message
An incredible email mix-up gave a Canadian theatre critic a cracking NRL scoop &ndash; and potentially a legal headache.

VPN Routing & Forwarding Instance_网络子站_IT专家网
VRF-VPN路由转发实例(VPN Routing & Forwarding Instance) VPN Routing & Forwarding Instance

Facebook Messenger updated to version 4.0 with groups and message forwarding
... 4.0 Groups: Now you can create groups for the people you message most. Name them, set group photos and keep them all in one place Forwarding: ...

Facebook Messenger For IOS Adds Groups, Message Forwarding - SocialTimes
Facebook released version 4.0 of its Messenger application for iOS , and the major additions were the ability to create groups , and the ability ...

Call forwarding not working on Project Fi? It's not just you, and there's a fix
If you're using Project Fi, you may have recently noticed incoming calls no longer forwarding to your non-Fi phones as you had previously set ...

Facebook Messenger 4.0 Features Easy Group Creation And Message Forwarding
... , its messaging-focused app, to version 4.0 on iOS. Facebook Messenger 4.0 introduces a couple of significant new features: groups and forwarding. ...