Using Snort to update ACL on Cisco Router

Howdy All,

Does anyone have a good reference on the internet for configure snort
to update the access-lists on a cisco router?

>From the follwing design

ISP ----->---Cisco Router/Pix------Snort IPS----Network Segment LAN or
DMZ

When snort recieves a packet that is of malicous nature, the idea is to
generate an alert and based on the alert initate a script that
automatically logs into the router (using a automatted SSH script) and
ammends the access-list statement to deny that particular attacking
host.

Thanks in advance
dirk

0
jag456 (10)
4/6/2005 4:18:29 AM
comp.security.firewalls 10672 articles. 0 followers. dfinc1988 (97) is leader. Post Follow

In article <1112761108.985920.171280@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
 <jag456@gmail.com> wrote:
:Does anyone have a good reference on the internet for configure snort
:to update the access-lists on a cisco router?

:>From the follwing design

:ISP ----->---Cisco Router/Pix------Snort IPS----Network Segment LAN or
:DMZ

:When snort recieves a packet that is of malicous nature, the idea is to
:generate an alert and based on the alert initate a script that
:automatically logs into the router (using a automatted SSH script) and
:ammends the access-list statement to deny that particular attacking
:host.

Is it a Cisco router or is it a Cisco PIX?

If it is a PIX, then you might want to issue a 'shun' command
instead of modifying an access-list -- the 'shun' command is
intended for IDS devices to do a short-term block of an IP
as a prioriity over the ACL without having to keep track of the
current ACL contents. (On the PIX as of about 6.2, you -can-
remove specific lines from the ACL, but you have to know the
line number -- and if you have multiple IPs being blocked, then
keeping track of which is on which line could prove a bit tiresome.

On the other hand, the 'shun' command likes to produce one
syslog message per packet from the shunned system -- you migh
want to turn off logging of that particular message!

I believe IOS with the firewall feature set has the equivilent of
'shun', but I am not certain.

Oh yes: if you use shun, then double-check whether 'shun' commands
are saved when you "write memory". My recollection is that they
are -not- saved.
--
  "This was a Golden Age, a time of high adventure, rich living and
  hard dying... but nobody thought so."      -- Alfred Bester, TSMD

i am going to attempt to script this from the Snort IPS (IDS) Server,
and i am hoping that my script will work for Cisco PIX or Router (or
atleast easily ported to the other).
Problem is my scripting / snort skills are next to minimal (other than
"therotical" knowledge that i have from reading faq / posts and howto
on the web), and was wondering if someone had a recommend way of
scripting the snort alerts to update a Cisco pix or router. i do not
hink of myself as to daft ;-)   and i just need to be pointed in the
direction of a good howto.

Regards
dirk

0
jag456 (10)
4/6/2005 6:34:33 AM
(Im sure there are other sites out there as well too)

 http://www.chaotic.org/guardian/

Guardian Active Response for Snort

Overview:
Guardian is a security program which works in conjunction with Snort to
automaticly update firewall rules based on alerts generated by Snort.
The updated firewall rules block all incoming data from the IP address of
the attacking machine (the machine which caused Snort to generate an alert.
There is also logic in place which pervents blocking important machines,
such as DNS servers, gateways, and whatever else you want.

Here is a link you might want to read:
http://online.securityfocus.com/infocus/1540 .. I found it very interesting
on why you should use this software with great caution.

New Stuff/Changes
  a.. New block/unblock scripts! Checkpoint firewall and Pix firewall
scripts. Download them below. Thanks goes out to Markwalder Philip (pm at
ibp.ch) and Roland Gafner (roland.gafner at gmx.net). Awesome work guys :)
  b.. Better syslog parsing! Now guardian should work regardless of how your
syslog/snortlib reports the attacks (as long as the attacker's IP address is
first). The new code is much cleaner, and should be a bit faster as well.
  c.. Added support for watching for more than one IP address. To do this, a
new option has been added to the guardian.conf file:

  TargetFile /etc/guardian.target

  The file should contain a list of IP addresses which are local IP
addresses. The format is the same as the IgnoreFile. This is useful for
people who are hosting several IP addresses from one machine. It might also
be useful for poeple who are running snort/guardian on a firewall.
  This will also only place a block on the interface which is defined in the
guardian.conf .. I should also add that this is experimental.

  d.. Bug fix: guardian now catches portscans as reported by the portscan
modules
Block/Unblock Scripts
  a.. ipchains (Block / Unblock)
  b.. iptables (Block / Unblock)
  c.. ipfwadm (Block / Unblock)
  d.. FreeBSD using IPFW (Block / Unblock)
  e.. ipfilter (courtesy of Wes Sonnenreich (sonny at alum.mit.edu) (Block /
Unblock)
  f.. New! Null Route for Linux systems with no other packet filter software
(Block / Unblock)
  This is a hack. Please read the file.. It works by adding a route to your
routing table when an attack is detected. The route is invalid, and specific
to the attacker, so while the route exists, your machine won't send anything
back to the attacker. I have no idea what this does to performace.
  g.. Checkpoint Firewall (Thanks Markwalder Philip and Roland Gafner)(Block
/ Unblock)
  h.. Pix Firewall (Thanks Markwalder Philip and Roland Gafner)(Block /
Unblock / Required perl script (also requires ssh perl module))
Misc Stuff
  a.. Here is a readme file that explains how to have guardian/snort running
on one machine, and applying blocks to your firewall on a diffrent machine.
This was written by Roland Gafner (roland.gafner at gmx.net)
Downloads
  a.. Current Version: 1.7 (Download here)

    a.. Better syslog parsing
    b.. TargetFile to watch multiple IP addresses
    c.. Bug Fix for catching portscans
  b.. Version: 1.6.2 (Download here)

    a.. Support added for syslog rotation. Previously, guardian would not
reopen the syslog file if it got rotated. This does not mean that there is
support for rotating the guardian log itself. This will be supported in a
future version.
    b.. Added block/unblock script for ipfwadm (useful for older linux
kernels)
    c.. Bug fixes. Thanks to brian at unearthed.org for pointing them out.
  c.. Version: 1.6.1 (Download here)

    a.. Bug fix for newer snortlibs and syslog

    b.. Added block/unblock scripts for ipfwadm

  d.. Version: 1.6 (Download here)

    a.. Now calls an external script for blocking ip addresses.

    b.. Added a timelimit feature.

    c.. Removes all blocks upon exit

  e.. Version: 1.5 beta (Download here)
  Many bug fixes, FreeBSD support added, syslog support added, IPtables
support added

  f.. Original release: 1.0 (Download here)

TODO
  a.. Support for other Network Intrusion Detection systems
  b.. Write block/unblock scripts for other OSs
  c.. Do something with the Priority codes that come with newer snort-libs
  d.. Include changes from unofficial guardian releases..
  e.. More stuff later on..
This page is still under much work, so check back often =) --- Anthony
(astevens @ chaotic . org) 03-26-02

hope this helps

vr/msb

<jag456@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for your response Walter,
>
> i am going to attempt to script this from the Snort IPS (IDS) Server,
> and i am hoping that my script will work for Cisco PIX or Router (or
> atleast easily ported to the other).
> Problem is my scripting / snort skills are next to minimal (other than
> "therotical" knowledge that i have from reading faq / posts and howto
> on the web), and was wondering if someone had a recommend way of
> scripting the snort alerts to update a Cisco pix or router. i do not
> hink of myself as to daft ;-)   and i just need to be pointed in the
> direction of a good howto.
>
> Regards
> dirk

0
btc1 (1)
4/10/2005 1:53:16 AM
Why don't you just buy a decent firewall like a Netscreen, Sonicwall, or
Fortinet. Commerical IDS->Firewall setups have been abysmal failures in the
past, which is why everyones moved to IDP.

> Howdy All,
>
> Does anyone have a good reference on the internet for configure snort
> to update the access-lists on a cisco router?
>
> >From the follwing design
>
> ISP ----->---Cisco Router/Pix------Snort IPS----Network Segment LAN or
> DMZ
>
> When snort recieves a packet that is of malicous nature, the idea is to
> generate an alert and based on the alert initate a script that
> automatically logs into the router (using a automatted SSH script) and
> ammends the access-list statement to deny that particular attacking
> host.
>

> Thanks in advance
> dirk

0
marks5648 (88)

Used Cisco Used Switch Used Cisco Router Used Cisco Switch At LinkWaves Corp
Hello Guy. I just bought a cisco 7206VXR from http://www.linkwaves.com. Quick shipping fedex 3 days saver for $85. I think they are great Quick Ship Great Services Excelent Products For Quick Quote. Please visit here http://www.linkwaves.com/requestquote.asp For Quick Search. Please visit here http://www.linkwaves.com/productsearch.asp Their Contact is LinkWaves Corp 29980 Technology Drive, Suite 6 Murrieta, CA 92563 Tel: +1-909-725-9143 Fax: =1-707-221-3762 http://www.linkwaves.com sales(at)linkwaves.com ...

Used Cisco Used Cisco Router Used Cisco Switch At LinkWaves Corp
Hello Guys, Please let me know if you need Cisco. Will take offers WS-X6704-10GE $8390 (CFC) WS-X6724-SFP $7300 ( CFC) PA-MC-8TE1+ $5295 PA-MC-STM-1SMI $12900 4GE-SFP-LC $21995 WS-F6700-DFC3BXL $7400 SA-VAM, $1199/each WS-C3750G-24PS-S, $3599/each 6E3-SMB, $5500/each 8FE-FX-SC-B, $899/each PA-A3-E3, $799/each PA-MC-8T1 $1500/each OSM-8OC3-POS-MM $3500/each OSM-2OC12-POS-MM $3499/each OSM-2OC12-POS-SI $5599/each WS-X6502-10GE $1995/each PA-A3-8E1-IMA $1550/each PA-A3-8T1-IMA $1440/each PA-MCX-8TE1-M $6200/each PA-MC-8TE1+ $5500/each PA-MC-STM-1SMI $12900/each NM-8T1-IMA $750/each NM-1GE $2200/...

Firewall for use with Cisco ADSL router
I'm looking for a bit of advice on buying a hardware firewall for a small network with a VPN to our branch office. We already have a couple of Cisco 837 ADSL routers, which for various reasons (they're supported by our contracted warehouse, and have a VPN that is administered by them as well, as well as a lot of custom configuration) can't be changed, or reconfigured at the moment. What we need is a firewall that will work with this router and support around 25 users, with decent VPN capability at a price that won't break the bank! I've previously looked at the Sym...

Can Cisco Pix be used as a router and a firewall?
Hi, I am after a hardware filewall and a router and was wondering if I could use a cisco Pix (probably 501) to route between 2 different subnets or vlans and to also be a firewall between those 2 subnets or vlans? If not, does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap implementation which I could use? Router needs to have 100 Mbit interfaces and the firewall should preferably allow for VPN tunneling. Cheers, Edd ...

ACL Firewall for a CISCO 2610 Border Router
I'm doing some research on firewalls. Does CISCO recommend any particular (commercial) firewall for a small organization that uses a single 2610 for Internet connectivity? Thaks. In article <1171823124.535381.98770@t69g2000cwt.googlegroups.com>, <djesser2@yahoo.com> wrote: >I'm doing some research on firewalls. Does CISCO recommend any >particular (commercial) firewall for a small organization that uses a >single 2610 for Internet connectivity? Urrr -- Cisco would probably recommend their own firewalls ;-) There is the Cisco PIX series http://www.cisco.com/go/pix and the newer Cisco ASA series http://www.cisco.com/go/asa A 2610 could in theory keep a 10 megabit full duplex port completely busy, if the traffic patterns were right, but it wouldn't stretch much beyond that. A 2610 would, if I recall, be aimed at about the 1 x T1 to 2 x T1 market. Is the organization using VOIP or channelized T1? Any of the PIX 500 models (that are still sold) can handle 10 megabits/s plaintext; the PIX 501 would be a bit tight if you wanted to do VPNs at T1 or higher, but the result of the PIX 500 (that are still sold) should be able to handle VPNs at those rates. The choice of PIX model would depend on the number of internal users you have; an entry PIX 501 is restricted to 10 users, with a 50 license available (that is usable up to about 20-ish active users before you start hitting memory problems if your config is large). The other PIX models do not ...

Commercial ACL Firewall for a CISCO 2610 Border Router?
Hello, I'm doing some research on firewalls. Does CISCO recommend any particular (commercial) firewall for a small organization that uses a single 2610 for Internet connectivity? Thanks. ...

Can Cisco Pix be used as a router and a firewall? #2
Hi, I am after a hardware filewall and a router and was wondering if I could use a cisco Pix (probably 501) to route between 2 different subnets or vlans and to also be a firewall between those 2 subnets or vlans? If not, does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap implementation which I could use? Router needs to have 100 Mbit interfaces and the firewall should preferably allow for VPN tunneling. Cheers, Edd On 17 Oct 2005 04:29:40 -0700, "EdD" <edd@mredd.co.uk> wrote: >If not, does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap implementation >which I could use? Router needs to have 100 Mbit interfaces and the >firewall should preferably allow for VPN tunneling. If you are looking at Cisco equipment anyway, you may want to check out the Cisco 800 series routers. In article <1129548580.506259.71580@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>, EdD <edd@mredd.co.uk> wrote: :I am after a hardware filewall and a router and was wondering if I :could use a cisco Pix (probably 501) to route between 2 different :subnets or vlans and to also be a firewall between those 2 subnets or :vlans? For the PIX 501, only if one of the subnets is internal and the other is external. The PIX 501 does not support more than inside + outside interface, and does not support VLANs, and does not support routing on the same interface going back again. The next model up, the PIX 506E, supports 2 VLANs that can be attached to the inside interface, giving you a total of 3 logic...

Secure Pix 506 Firewall/Cisco 2610 Router VPN?
Hello All- I am beginning my journey on learning how to administer our Pix Firewall and Router. I have the task of setting up our companys first VPN. Can someone please, off me an idea of how or what I need to do to setup a VPN using this firewall and router. I have cisco VPN client software for the mobile users. I am running windows 2003 server with about 25 mobile users that use ATT Aircards to connect to the Internet. Thank you for all your help and thoughts! to start see http://cco.cisco.com/en/US/customer/tech/tk583/tk372/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080093f6a.shtml...

Complex configuration using Bridge IRB, NAT, VPN, ACL on cisco router (long)
Hi all, I have a XXX.XXX.XXX.224/29 public network with DSL Line. I use a Cisco router behind DSL modem. The cisco is configured with bridge irb BVI interface to manage FastEthernet0/0 interface connected to DSL modem and FastEthernet1/1 connected to DMZ network. The cisco is local network gateway using NAT on FastEthernet1/0. I have to add VPN configuration to give access from home users to local network with Cisco VPN client on their home box. All this is working fine except trouble with home users vpn. I used "Configure Cisco VPN Client-Easy VPN Server, Xauth, Split Tunnel"...

Use XP Firewall with Router & Firewall?
Is it recomended to turn on and use the XP Firewall on workstations even if our network sits behind a router with it's own Firewall? Will this cause problems? Until the last XP service pack, I only used the XP firewall when connecting from home or on the road. Now all connections are firewalled by default. Thanks. Not wise to use two, they could conflict. Turn off Windows Firewall. -- Peter. Toronto, Canada. XP Home SP2. P4 @ 3.0ghz, 160gb HDD, 1.0gb DDR. "John" <john@destinytours.com> wrote in message news:b81576f1.0503080943.50e84409@posting.google.com... > Is it recomended to turn on and use the XP Firewall on workstations > even if our network sits behind a router with it's own Firewall? Will > this cause problems? Until the last XP service pack, I only used the > XP firewall when connecting from home or on the road. Now all > connections are firewalled by default. > Thanks. On 8 Mar 2005 09:43:46 -0800, john@destinytours.com (John) wrote: >Is it recomended to turn on and use the XP Firewall on workstations >even if our network sits behind a router with it's own Firewall? Will >this cause problems? Until the last XP service pack, I only used the >XP firewall when connecting from home or on the road. Now all >connections are firewalled by default. >Thanks. Leave it on. It's low overhead and it wont cause any problem in this situation. Some people run two software FW's such as the built-in...

CISCO
If you intend to use and implement the Secure Firewalls and to be CISCO certified as a part of the growing vast trends in technology, then you should not leave behind to take the advantage of the material provided for Secure Firewalls. http://www.it-techexperts.com/CISCO/CCSP/CCSP.asp ...

Using Cisco EZVpn together with router-to-router IPSEC config
Hi, Here's one for the crypto buffs.... I have a setup of three Cisco 837s terminating IPSEC tunnels in a hub/spoke router-to-router config. The VPN router that acts as the "hub" also has EZVpn set up for remote access from WinXP clients that are on the road. My question is this: can one of those WinXP laptops be located within the network subnet of another one of the "spoke" routers and still be able to init a VPN tunnel by itself? I've tried it and it doesn't work so I'm assuming the answer is no, since UDP port 500 is already in use by the "spoke&...

Router ACL or firewall???
I have 2 different subnets that are currently connected together with a Cisco router. I want to improve the security and control th traffic (access) between the subnets. Are ACL a good way to go or would it be better to replace the router with a small firewall like netscreen 5GT or equiv???? Barry Streets In article <29KdndmzDdtXVePfRVn-tg@comcast.com>, Barry Streets <berrys2552@comcast.net> wrote: :I have 2 different subnets that are currently connected together with a :Cisco router. I want to improve the security and control th traffic (access) :between the subnets. Are ACL a good way to go or would it be better to :replace the router with a small firewall like netscreen 5GT or equiv???? ACLs are fine if the controls you need can easily be expressed statically -- for example, if *all* you allow access to is HTTP and SMTP. If, though, you start getting into more complex situations, such as active FTP (which negotiates a port dynamically) then you are better off either putting in a firewall or upgrading your Cisco Router IOS to include the FW (Firewall) feature set. -- I was very young in those days, but I was also rather dim. -- Christopher Priest ...

Flashback Security Update and Leopard Security Update
APPLE-SA-2012-05-14-1 Flashback Removal Security Update Flashback Removal Security Update is now available and addresses the following: Malware removal Available for: �Mac OS X v10.5 to v10.5.8 Impact: �A Flashback malware removal tool will be run Description: �This update runs a malware removal tool that will remove the most common variants of the Flashback malware. If the Flashback malware is found, it presents a dialog notifying the user that malware was removed. There is no indication to the user if malware is not found. Flashback Removal Security Update may be obtained from the Softwa...

Slow Internet file download using Cisco Router 1710 + PCI broadband router
I brought a new Cisco router 1710 and used it with a PCI broadband router for Internet access. The file download speed from Internet is really slow. When I replace the Cisco router with another broadband router, it is much better. Workstation 10.10.20.2 configs: 1. ip address: 10.10.20.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 2. default gateway: 10.10.20.1 Cisco router 1710 major configs: 1. ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.3 2. interface Fast Ethernet 0: ip address 10.10.20.1 255.255.255.0 ip nat inside 3. interface Ethernet 0: ip address 192.168.0.7 255.255.0.0 ip nat outside 4. access-list 7 permit 10.10.20.0 0.0.0.255 ip nat inside source list 7 interface Ethernet 0 overload PCI broadband router major configs: 1. interface LAN: ip address 192.168.0.3 2. interface WAN: ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (ISP assigned) 3. NAT: enabled Thank you in advance Regards On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 21:00:53 -0600, Sam wrote: > I brought a new Cisco router 1710 and used it with a PCI broadband > router for Internet access. The file download speed from Internet is > really slow. When I replace the Cisco router with another broadband > router, it is much better. > > Workstation 10.10.20.2 configs: > 1. ip address: 10.10.20.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 2. default gateway: > 10.10.20.1 > > Cisco router 1710 major configs: > 1. ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.3 2. interface Fast Ethernet 0: ip > address 10.10.20.1 255.255.255.0 > ip nat inside > 3. interface ...

Cisco VPN Client 4.6.00.0049 to Cisco router 12.3.8T5, ACL's ?
Hello, I regulary implement Cisco routers for our customers. About a year ago the demand for being able to VPN rose, and after some TAC calls I succeeded in configuring this on a Cisco router. At that time it were mostly 1700 series routers (running IOS 12.2.15Tx) with the Cisco 4.0x VPN Client. That configuration has been implemented at numerous sites since then, and works perfect. But since we started implementing routers with IOS 12.3.8Tx and the Cisco VPN Client 4.6.00.0049 I'm seeing differences in how the routers act in processing the VPN traffic. In my original config I ne...

Security programs 2005 - , Firewall programs 2005 -, Antivirus programs 2005 -, APPDEV DOT NET SECURITY, Linux Security and Firewall programs 2005 -, CiscoWorks ( CW ) Security programs 2005
Security programs 2005 - , Firewall programs 2005 -, Antivirus programs 2005 -, APPDEV DOT NET SECURITY, Linux Security and Firewall programs 2005 -, CiscoWorks ( CW ) Security programs 2005 - , ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Security programs 2005 - Utimaco SafeGuard Advanced Security v4.30.0.335 Multi CD NR 17 543 Utimaco SafeGuard Advanced Security v4.30.0.335 Terminal Server Base Module Multi CD NR 17 544 Utimaco SafeGuard Advanced Security v4.30.0.335 ...

Security programs 2005 - , Firewall programs 2005 -, Antivirus programs 2005 -, APPDEV DOT NET SECURITY, Linux Security and Firewall programs 2005 -, CiscoWorks ( CW ) Security programs 2005 - , ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Security programs 2005 - Utimaco SafeGuard Advanced Security v4.30.0.335 Multi CD NR 17 543 Utimaco SafeGuard Advanced Security v4.30.0.335 Terminal Server Base Module Multi CD NR 17 544 Utimaco SafeGuard Advanced Security v4.30.0.335 Terminal Server Multi CD NR 17 545 Symantec Norton Internet Security 2005 CD NR 17 234 Symantec Client Security Corporate Edition v2.0 CD NR 15 321 Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange 4.0 CD NR 13 364 Steganos Internet Security 7 CD NR 16 968 McAfee Internet Security Suite V7.0 2005 CD NR 16 727 Security Service (c) McAfee CD NR 11 362 Symantec Norton Internet Security v3.0 For Mac OSX CD NR 12 698 Microsoft Windows XP SP2, With Advanced Security Technologies. CD NR 16 244 PANDA PLATINUM INTERNET SECURITY V8.05 SUB100 CD NR 16 096 Panda Platinum Internet SEcurity *Englsih-Spanish* 14 184 IBM Tivoli Security Manager v5.1 (c) IBM CD NR 15 750 Finjan Vital Securit...

[...]

pgp programs 2005 -, Security programs 2005
pgp programs 2005 -, Security programs 2005 - , Firewall programs 2005 -, Antivirus programs 2005 -, APPDEV DOT NET SECURITY, Linux Security and Firewall programs 2005 -, CiscoWorks ( CW ) Security programs 2005 - , ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- pgp programs 2005 - PGP.CommandLine.for.Linux.v8.5.0 PGP.CommandLine.for.Solaris.v8.5.0 PGP.CommandLine.v8.5.0 (week 31/2004) PGP.Desktop.v8.1.for.Windows PGP.Personal.Desktop.v8.1.for.Macintosh (week 26/2004) PGP.Enterprise.v8.0.3 (week 49/20030 PGP.v8.0.3 (week 42/2003) 15/...

pgp programs 2005 -, Security programs 2005
pgp programs 2005 -, Security programs 2005 - , Firewall programs 2005 -, Antivirus programs 2005 -, APPDEV DOT NET SECURITY, Linux Security and Firewall programs 2005 -, CiscoWorks ( CW ) Security programs 2005 - , ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- pgp programs 2005 - PGP.CommandLine.for.Linux.v8.5.0 PGP.CommandLine.for.Solaris.v8.5.0 PGP.CommandLine.v8.5.0 (week 31/2004) PGP.Desktop.v8.1.for.Windows PGP.Personal.Desktop.v8.1.for.Macintosh (week 26/2004) PGP.Enterprise.v8.0.3 (week 49/20030 PGP.v8.0.3 (week 42/2003) 15/...

[NEWS] Linux based routers *wormed* and the Linux desktop and servers are suppose to be secure? Not if humans beings created it and use it that Linux is secure -- noway.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/24/psyb0t_home_networking_worm/ <copied> Vulnerable devices include any home router or modem that uses Linux Mipsel, has an administration interface, sshd, or telnet in a DMZ, and employs a weak password. Once the malware takes hold, it locks legitimate users out of the device by blocking telnet, sshd, and web access. It then makes the devices part of a botnet. The researchers said they first learned of the worm while investigating DDoS attacks that hit DroneBL's infrastructure two weeks ago. <end copy> Inspector Thumper wrote: &g...

should I use a firewall if behind a router
Hi, I'm connected to the internet through a NetGear DG834G router. Should I use a firewall on my PC as well ? I've tried several already but I'm getting tired of being disconnected because they say the router sent a suspicious UDP request... There's nothing wrong with this router as far as I know, so I was wondering if I can get rid of any firewall on my machine ? thx samuelberthelot@googlemail.com wrote: > Hi, > I'm connected to the internet through a NetGear DG834G router. Should I > use a firewall on my PC as well ? > I've tried several already but I'm getting tired of being disconnected > because they say the router sent a suspicious UDP request... There's > nothing wrong with this router as far as I know, so I was wondering if > I can get rid of any firewall on my machine ? If the router is wireless, than I would say keep the personal FW as someone can hack the wireless and be all over the top of your machines hacking them wired or wireless, which you could block the IP they would be using from your router as the join your network with the PFW if that happens. Why don't you just create a FW rule with the PFW to accept the traffic from the Device IP of the router? The machine cannot be attacked by the router. No one is going to use or can use the Device IP of the router to attack a machine on the LAN wired or wireless. The router is just trying to communicate with machines on the LAN. Duane :) Supp...

If I buy a used cisco router...
If I buy a used Cisco router, how do I get the latest IOS updates/firmware etc. from Cisco? Tod In article <kZFUb.7938$ow4.3802@twister.socal.rr.com>, Tod DeBie <tod_debie@hotmail.com> wrote: :If I buy a used Cisco router, how do I get the latest IOS updates/firmware :etc. from Cisco? The line item part numbers involved are a bit murky, but you have to go through Cisco's relicensing procedure, which involves buying a license from Cisco to get in their good books again. That gets you to the point of being legal to run the software you have. You then have to take the appropr...

Web resources about - Using Snort to update ACL on Cisco Router - comp.security.firewalls

Windows Update - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Windows Update is a service provided by Microsoft that provides updates for the Microsoft Windows operating system and its installed components, ...

Gizmodo.com Updates
Nobody should have to use a pay phone , natural disaster or no natural disaster. So if your gadgets are out of juice after Sandy, here’s a tiny ...

Lifehacker.com Updates
By Whitson Gordon Ever run into a situation where you have multiple wireless networks available, but one is clearly better than the other? WiFi ...

Facebook To Update Mobile Apps Every 4 To 8 Weeks
On the same day that Facebook released a bunch of mobile updates for Apple and Android devices , the social network also announced that it will ...

Trump Rally Update: Live Stream
I don’t mean to bigfoot Tom’s post, nor Tamara’s recipe update, but here’s the live stream for what’s going on with the now postponed Trump rally ...

Google’s latest Chrome update patches some major security vulnerabilities
This week, Google released the latest stable update for its Chrome browser addressing three high priority security vulnerabilities. Version 49.0.2623.87 ...

Update — Breitbart News Statement: Trump Claim About Michelle Fields ‘Contradicts the Evidence’
Update Breitbart News Statement: Trump Claim About Michelle Fields 'Contradicts the Evidence'

Adobe rushes out emergency update for 'critical' Flash security flaw
With the vulnerability already being exploited by hackers, Adobe recommends all Flash users install the security patch as soon as possible.

Fallout 4's 1.4 update is hitting consoles this week
[ Update: Fallout 4 's 1.4 console patch is now live .] Ah Fallout 4 . You had so many good things going for you, but Bethesda kind of...forgot ...

Microsoft Power BI Update Brings Full-Screen Mode Enhancements
Another month, another batch of Power BI updates. This time, Microsoft introduces new tools for working in full-screen mode.