VPN-1 CheckPoint Linux client -- no longer supported?

All,

According to these release notes...

http://www.checkpoint.com/techsupport/downloads/html/securemote/sr-5-0/SecureClient_NG_build_53328.pdf

of July 7, 2003 CheckPoint's VPN client software only works with Red
Hat 7.2 and 7.3.  The release notes specifically state Red Hat 8.0 and
later is not supported.  Please reply to this post if you can either
confirm or deny this limitation is true.  Is it true CheckPoint has
stopped upgrading their Linux VPN client?  Is there an open source
alternative?

Regards,
-Randy Galbraith

0
randyg271 (7)
5/31/2007 10:33:53 PM
comp.security.firewalls 10672 articles. 0 followers. dfinc1988 (97) is leader. Post Follow

On Jun 1, 12:33 am, RandyG271 <randyg...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> of July 7, 2003 CheckPoint's VPN client software only works with Red
> Hat 7.2 and 7.3.  The release notes specifically state Red Hat 8.0 and
> later is not supported.  Please reply to this post if you can either
> confirm or deny this limitation is true.

This is true.
You won't be able to find a vpn client from Check Point that runs on a
recent kernel.
That's a pity indeed.

I've not tried an opensource IPSEC client against a Check Point
firewall but if it should work you'll probably run into problems when
you're behind a NAT device.

Br.
Robby

Am Fri, 01 Jun 2007 14:23:20 +0000 schrieb Robby Cauwerts:

> On Jun 1, 12:33 am, RandyG271 <randyg...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> of July 7, 2003 CheckPoint's VPN client software only works with Red
>> Hat 7.2 and 7.3.  The release notes specifically state Red Hat 8.0 and
>> later is not supported.  Please reply to this post if you can either
>> confirm or deny this limitation is true.
> I've not tried an opensource IPSEC client against a Check Point
> firewall but if it should work you'll probably run into problems when
> you're behind a NAT device.
>
> Br.
> Robby
Hi,

vpnc works well and openswan either, even with nat traversal.
Robby, Burkhard,

> Hi,
>
> vpnc works well and openswan either, even with nat traversal.

Thanks for the reply.  With Dell[1] now shipping Ubuntu Linux based
systems, perhaps CheckPoint will be motivated to update their client.
In any regards, I will give vpnc[2] and openswan[3] a try (as soon our
network guys setup my access ;) ) and report back my results here.  I
will be doing NAT with a Netgear RangeMax router via a cox.net
connection -- so wish me success :).

Regards,
-Randy Galbraith
[1] http://www.dell.com/open
[2] http://www.vpnc.org/
[3] http://www.openswan.org/

0
randyg271 (7)
6/1/2007 4:28:11 PM
On 1 jun, 18:28, RandyG271 <randyg...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Robby, Burkhard,
>
> > Hi,
>
> > vpnc works well and openswan either, even with nat traversal.
>
> Thanks for the reply.  With Dell[1] now shipping Ubuntu Linux based
> systems, perhaps CheckPoint will be motivated to update their client.
> In any regards, I will give vpnc[2] and openswan[3] a try (as soon our
> network guys setup my access ;) ) and report back my results here.  I
> will be doing NAT with a Netgear RangeMax router via a cox.net
> connection -- so wish me success :).

That's good news indeed.
Just verify that you're not using a subnet at home that is also used
in the encryption domain of your firewall.
Even if vpnc/openswan supports NAT-T against CP I can't find any info
that they also support office mode.

Br.
Robby

Am Fri, 01 Jun 2007 10:31:08 -0700 schrieb Robby Cauwerts:

> Even if vpnc/openswan supports NAT-T against CP I can't find any info
> that they also support office mode.
What do you mean with office mode?
I suggest all your traffic goes via VPN?
Obviously I got every VPN with linux and with OpenBSD either for now and I
bet this one too.
0
b.ott (25)
6/1/2007 6:35:57 PM
Am Fri, 01 Jun 2007 16:28:11 +0000 schrieb RandyG271:

> Thanks for the reply.  With Dell[1] now shipping Ubuntu Linux based
> systems, perhaps CheckPoint will be motivated to update their client.
> In any regards, I will give vpnc[2] and openswan[3] a try (as soon our
> network guys setup my access ;) ) and report back my results here.  I
> will be doing NAT with a Netgear RangeMax router via a cox.net
> connection -- so wish me success :).

You bet we get that working.
0
b.ott (25)
6/1/2007 6:37:01 PM
On 2007-06-01, <burkhard.ott@evolver.de> wrote:

> vpnc works well and openswan either, even with nat traversal.

I have been using vpnc to good effect.

--
Help grow community wireless internet:
http://www.dfwfreenet.org/

http://www.mousetrap.net/~mouse/  <-- geeky homepage
On 10 Jun., 07:25, Frater Mus <nntp2006.frater...@spamgourmet.com>
wrote:
> On 2007-06-01, <burkhard....@evolver.de> wrote:
> >vpncworks well and openswan either, even with nat traversal.
>
> I have been usingvpncto good effect.

maybe you could give a little advise then? as far as i've used vpn
access to checkpoint (using Checkpoint's client on windows) i was
using a certificate to connect with.
the vpnc config example only shows up a shared secret option and i
don't have a clue how to enter this kind of access to Checkpoint VPN-1
(there is no option to set shared secret on Checkpoint using the
"Remote Access" object which is needed for (you won't believe it ;-)
client access from remote...but i may be just blind)

BR
Thomas

You have to enable FW-1 User Name and Password (or whatever it is called) on
the firewall object in the remote access authentication section. Then you
have to go to the user's object and enter their password there.

Ray

<thomas.tendl@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On 10 Jun., 07:25, Frater Mus <nntp2006.frater...@spamgourmet.com>
> wrote:
>> On 2007-06-01, <burkhard....@evolver.de> wrote:
>> >vpncworks well and openswan either, even with nat traversal.
>>
>> I have been usingvpncto good effect.
>
> maybe you could give a little advise then? as far as i've used vpn
> access to checkpoint (using Checkpoint's client on windows) i was
> using a certificate to connect with.
> the vpnc config example only shows up a shared secret option and i
> don't have a clue how to enter this kind of access to Checkpoint VPN-1
> (there is no option to set shared secret on Checkpoint using the
> "Remote Access" object which is needed for (you won't believe it ;-)
> client access from remote...but i may be just blind)
>
> BR
> Thomas

0
jay28 (42)
6/28/2007 11:19:55 PM
On 29 Jun., 01:19, "JJ" <j...@jay.com> wrote:
> You have to enable FW-1 User Name and Password (or whatever it is called) on
> the firewall object in the remote access authentication section. Then you
> have to go to the user's object and enter their password there.
>
> Ray

thx for the answer but entering the logon credentials wasn't my
problem, i've got it almost immediately. i didn't find the settings
for entering a shared secret (searched for it everywhere except the
ike settings of the user itself where it has to be of course *sigh*).

at the moment i'm getting "isakmp_n_invalid_cookie(4)" from vpnc and
"unsupported exchange type" from checkpoint (got the very same message
before entering the shared secret on checkpoint so this has to be an
other problem).

checkpoint secure client VPN-1
I have the following problem: When PC's with the SecureClient are on the LAN the software reverts to the Default policy and the firewall blocks all traffic coming to it i.e. I cannot ping the clients nor push my Antivirus installations, access shares, etc. If I Disable the default policy i.e. no protection, everything works fine If I log in from an external internet connection then I get the personalised policy loaded and everything works fine as it should. How can I get the clients to behave properly on the LAN so they are accessible for management purposes. Why do they not default t...

Can I use Checkpoint VPN-1 Secure Client in a Hotel
Hi is it possible to use "Checkpoint VPN-1 Secure Client" for example in a hotel? The problem is, that before I can get out to the internet I have to authenticate to the hotel webbased (http/https)system. Only after the successfull auth to the hotel server I can start the secure VPN connection. Is Checkpoint VPN-1 Secure Client supporting something like a "http pre authentication" to enable the VPN connection? What woud be a good solution to solve this problem? Greets Beni Ben wrote... > is it possible to use "Checkpoint VPN-1 Secure Client" for example in ...

Checkpoint Firewall-1 VPN 4.1 SP3 problems
Hi I've just set up a VPN tunnel between our primary UK site and our Indian site and established a two way trust relationship between the two domains. We have a private leased line connection between our two UK sites and all three sites are on different subnets. Something must have changed because SecuRemote users now can't access our secondary UK site when logging in to our primary UK site via VPN. Does this sound like a routing problem? The firewall (NT) server has the route to the secondary site in the routing table. The SecuRemote client encrypt rule has a group object which inc...

Checkpoint Secure client for Linux
Hi, I have a problem. I can access my company network through a vpn. The client I use for this in windows is the checkpoint secure client, and it authenticates me through TACACS protocol. I need only to supply the name of the gateway, the userid and the password. Do you know if is there for linux a von client which is compatible with the checkpoint vpn server? The secure client for linux is very old and seems not to work for newer kernels (2.6x) Any hint? Thanks EP ...

Cisco VPN client OK
Hi, I have my PIX set up allowing VPN clients in. A Cisco VPN client (v4.0.3D) can get in OK but a Checkpoint client (R56 Build 311) can't. The Checkpoint client never appears to hit the outside interface of the PIX as no debug info appears when he tries to connect. I hardly need to deinstall my Cisco client sw beofre firing up the Checkpoint - do I? TIA, Ned ...

Security programs 2005 - , Firewall programs 2005 -, Antivirus programs 2005 -, APPDEV DOT NET SECURITY, Linux Security and Firewall programs 2005 -, CiscoWorks ( CW ) Security programs 2005
Security programs 2005 - , Firewall programs 2005 -, Antivirus programs 2005 -, APPDEV DOT NET SECURITY, Linux Security and Firewall programs 2005 -, CiscoWorks ( CW ) Security programs 2005 - , ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Security programs 2005 - Utimaco SafeGuard Advanced Security v4.30.0.335 Multi CD NR 17 543 Utimaco SafeGuard Advanced Security v4.30.0.335 Terminal Server Base Module Multi CD NR 17 544 Utimaco SafeGuard Advanced Security v4.30.0.335 Terminal Server Multi CD NR 17 545 Symantec Norton Internet Security 2005 CD NR 17 234 Symantec Client Security Corporate Edition v2.0 CD NR 15 321 Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange 4.0 CD NR 13 364 Steganos Internet Security 7 CD NR 16 968 McAfee Internet Security Suite V7.0 2005 CD NR 16 727 Security Service (c) McAfee CD NR 11 362 Symantec Norton Internet Security v3.0 For Mac OSX CD NR 12 698 Microsoft Windows XP SP2, With Advanced Security Technologies. CD NR 16 244 PANDA PLATINUM INTERNET SECURITY V8.05 SUB100 CD NR 16 096 Panda Platinum Internet SEcurity *Englsih-Spanish* 14 184 IBM Tivoli Security Manager v5.1 (c) IBM CD NR 15 750 Finjan Vital Securit...

[...]

pgp programs 2005 -, Security programs 2005
pgp programs 2005 -, Security programs 2005 - , Firewall programs 2005 -, Antivirus programs 2005 -, APPDEV DOT NET SECURITY, Linux Security and Firewall programs 2005 -, CiscoWorks ( CW ) Security programs 2005 - , ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- pgp programs 2005 - PGP.CommandLine.for.Linux.v8.5.0 PGP.CommandLine.for.Solaris.v8.5.0 PGP.CommandLine.v8.5.0 (week 31/2004) PGP.Desktop.v8.1.for.Windows PGP.Personal.Desktop.v8.1.for.Macintosh (week 26/2004) PGP.Enterprise.v8.0.3 (week 49/20030 PGP.v8.0.3 (week 42/2003) 15/...

pgp programs 2005 -, Security programs 2005
pgp programs 2005 -, Security programs 2005 - , Firewall programs 2005 -, Antivirus programs 2005 -, APPDEV DOT NET SECURITY, Linux Security and Firewall programs 2005 -, CiscoWorks ( CW ) Security programs 2005 - , ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- pgp programs 2005 - PGP.CommandLine.for.Linux.v8.5.0 PGP.CommandLine.for.Solaris.v8.5.0 PGP.CommandLine.v8.5.0 (week 31/2004) PGP.Desktop.v8.1.for.Windows PGP.Personal.Desktop.v8.1.for.Macintosh (week 26/2004) PGP.Enterprise.v8.0.3 (week 49/20030 PGP.v8.0.3 (week 42/2003) 15/...

SoftRemote VPN Client with Checkpoint Firewall
I'm pretty sure that I heard that SafeNet's SoftRemote VPN Client will work to connect to a Checkpoint Firewall. Now that I'm actually trying to do that, I'm having a hard time finding any information about it. Does anyone know where I could find such information? Has anyone done this themselves? Specifically I'm using SafeNet SoftRemote 9.2.1 and a Checkpoint NG AI R55. Thanks ...

VPN Symantec Gateway Security
Hi all. Can anybody help me to following problem? I have to connect a Symantec Gateway Security 5400 Series (SGS) to a Checkpoint firewall. Only some Client's behind the SGS should be able to connect to the Checkpoint firewall per Checkpoint Client Software. The Checkpoint Client Software tell me, that the VPN connection works. But i can't reach any host in the network behind the Checkpoint Firewall. The Administrator of the Checkpoint Firewall (CPF) told me that all packages leave the firewall correct, so it seems the SGS is probably not configure right. A VPN connection without SGS, only the Checkpoint Client Software, is working great. So, the problem is really the SGS and its configuration. Greetings Stefan sk71@gmx.de wrote: > Hi all. > > Can anybody help me to following problem? > > I have to connect a Symantec Gateway Security 5400 Series (SGS) to a > Checkpoint firewall. Only some Client's behind the SGS should be able > to connect to the Checkpoint firewall per Checkpoint Client Software. > > The Checkpoint Client Software tell me, that the VPN connection works. > But i can't reach any host in the network behind the Checkpoint > Firewall. The Administrator of the Checkpoint Firewall (CPF) told me > that all packages leave the firewall correct, so it seems the SGS is > probably not configure right. > > A VPN connection without SGS, only the Checkpoint Client Software, is > working great. > S...

Secure VPN Gateway
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------040709040509090902070101 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi all. I just want to make you aware of an exciting new piece of software that is available from www.ttc4it.co.nz I think you'll be interested in the software because it provides a very secure means of connecting to remote servers over unsecured networks like the Internet. It is like a VPN & Firewall system fused together to provide network port access to specific servers. The web managemen...

[News] Access Brings Linux-supported Middleware, Wyse Improves Linux-supported Thin Clients
DLNA middleware interconnects consumer devices ,----[ Quote ] | TVs, cameras, hard-disk recorders, and printers. The NetFront Living Connect | middleware suite supports Linux, and complies with DLNA v1.5 specs, Access | said. `---- http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS6853468195.html Wyse adds multimedia support to thin clients ,----[ Quote ] | New multimedia enabling extensions for VMware Infrastructure allow Wyse thin | clients to display rich multimedia including video. `---- http://www.itwire.com/content/view/14710/1054/ Related: Wyse and Novell Collaborate on Linux Thin Clients ,----[ Quote ] | Wyse Technology, the global | leader in thin computing, today announced it is working with Novell to | bring the next generation of Linux-based thin clients to market. Both | companies are committed to giving customers everything they need to | transition from traditional desktops with proprietary operating | systems to Wyse thin clients based on SUSE Linux Enterprise from | Novell. `---- http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/news_press_release,153743.shtml ...

Help with Cisco VPN client 4.0.1 (and 4.0.3)
I recently upgraded my client from version 3.6.0 to version 4.0.1 (then tried 4.0.3). I'm running Windows 2000. I uninstalled the client, rebooted, installed the new one, rebooted and tried to connect. Both the profiles I had on the 3.6.0 version worked, I could VPN with both of them. Since I've installed 4.0.1, and then 4.0.3 I cannot access either profile any longer. Here is part of the log (if someone could help me I would greatly appreciate it, I have no idea what's causing this problem): -------------- Cisco Systems VPN Client Version 4.0.3 (C) Copyright (C) 1998-2003 Cisco ...

Installing RH Linux firewall in Home office for security, how can I VPN passthrough?
I wanted to install RH Linux firewall (2 NIC cards on Linux PC, one NIC to Router and other NIC to Cable Modem) between Cable modem and router, Is it possible to pass through all VPN packets through firewall?. since I wanted to logon to some other office through VPN?. Can RH Linux firewall act as real firewall box like WatchGuard (commercially available in market)?. Do I have to install anything extra?. The below picture shows, this way I wanted to connect it. To make my Linux box like commercial firewall do I need to install anything else?. Thanks. ...

LINUX/shorewall firewall to firewall VPN question
I have a linux firewall front ending a site which works fine. I am using shorewall as the script interface to iptables. I would like to place another linux firewall at a remote site so that I can build an incryped tunnel between each site. I would like to mount windows shared folders over the net securly using DSL. I want to do SSL type encrypton between each site. I have used SSL to build tunnels but I don't know how to configure this type of tunnel with shorewall and iptables. Could someone point me to information on how to configure this type of connection. sundog@mountaindogs.n...

Secure VPN Gateway
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------060408000501060608010104 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi all. I just want to make you aware of an exciting new piece of software that is available from www.ttc4it.co.nz I think you'll be interested in the software because it provides a very secure means of connecting to remote servers over unsecured networks like the Internet. It is like a VPN & Firewall system fused together to provide network port access to specific servers. The web management interface and the VPN client make this software; very secure, very easy to manage, and very easy to use. Special features have been built into it to defeat key logger software and man in the middle attacks. This is commercial software but there is a free trial version available that uses Vmware player to host the Secure VPN Gateway. Documentation and other details are freely available from www.ttc4it.co.nz Like all commercial software commercial support is provided. At Ttc4it you wont be wasting time dealing with help desks. Instead you are plugged in directly to the software developers. Better support means problems are fixed faster. Best wishes for the New Year. David Gempton Managing Director TTC LTD. --------------060408000501060608010104 Content-Type: text/x-vcard; charset=utf-8; name="davidg.vcf" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Disposition: attachment; filenam...

Linux Router/Firewall
I have been running a Linux Firewall/Router (192.168.1.1) for my WinXP computer for a while now and decided to change the client(192.168.1.4) to linux as well (mandrake). The strange thing is that I'm not able to connect Linux->Linux now. I get no ping reply from ether client to router or the other way around. Tcpdump shows some arp traffic though. Both computers can ping their own ip and loopback without problems. Any pointers? Fry wrote: > Linux->Linux now. I get no ping reply from ether client to router or the > other way around. Tcpdump shows some arp traffic though. ...

LINUX VPN client to Microsoft VPN Server
I've searched far and wide and have been hitting dead ends with PPTP PPPD PPP OPENVPN OOP PPTPConfig and KVpnc We have a Windows 2003 server hosting (with AD) VPN and I'm on Suse10 linux. Every one of those methods gives me the same error where my network card is sending a ConfReq until it times out. No replies or anything. Of course windows computers can VPN easily. Firewall Ports open LINUX: 1723, GRE, 1194 (A few others that don't pertain to this problem I believe) Here's a log: pptpconfig: debug information dump begins WARNING: security sensitive information fol...

WILL PAY. Need help to setup VPN between a PIX 506 and a Checkpoint 4.1 Firewall
WILL PAY. Need help to setup VPN between a PIX 506 and a Checkpoint 4.1 Firewall We switched from DSL to COMCAST and now with the NetBIOS ports all closed, we can't get our Outlook Client (in corporate mode) connected to our Exchange Server across the Internet. We need a site to site VPN Tunnel to be set up. Both sites are using NATTING. Name a fair price and I will describe the network in details and reset password for you to come in. Payment will be via paypal. Please IM to beyondautomation or email to beyondautomation@yahoo.com. In article <1145497507.674960.189940@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com>, DerekC <beyondautomation@yahoo.com> wrote: >Need help to setup VPN between a PIX 506 and a Checkpoint 4.1 >Firewall >We switched from DSL to COMCAST and now with the NetBIOS ports all >closed, we can't get our Outlook Client (in corporate mode) connected >to our Exchange Server across the Internet. We need a site to site VPN >Tunnel to be set up. Both sites are using NATTING. NETBIOS and remote Exchange server implies Exchange 2000. That being the case, you cannot easily do what you want with a PIX 506 -- at least not without locking down the Exchange server far more tightly than the corporate Exchange people at my work were ever able to do. Leythos has indicated that his company has the expertise to do that kind of lockdown, but I gather that his company would require full access to the Exchange server for that, and I'm not sure...

Hi, There are a number of security specialized Linux live-CDs out there, including: * Knoppix-STD * Local Area Security Linux * Phlak * Whax * Auditor Security Linux * Linux Defender * Er
Hi, There are a number of security specialized Linux live-CDs out there, including: * Knoppix-STD * Local Area Security Linux * Phlak * Whax * Auditor Security Linux * Linux Defender * Erpross Live (in German only) * Arudius * Operator Which, if any, do you use? Why? Can you compare/contrat these tools? Which would you reccommend to an aspiring security professional? Thanks! Alex Begin <1132252106.677760.297830@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> On 2005-11-17, alex <alex-voz@list.ru> wrote: [snip: ``security linux live cds''] > Which, if any, ...

Need a router w. VPN which support the XP builtin VPN client
Hi! I need a fairly good SOHO/SMB router w. VPN endpoint, so users can "dialin" using VPN. The router needs to support the VPN client of WinXP, so we can use WinXP without installing any VPN software. The only router i've found so far is D-Link DI-804HV http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=59 But does this only really support VPN access using the builtin VPN client of WinXP ? Can you recommend other router from other vendors ? Thanks /Peter "Peter Schmidt" <peter[AT]schmidt[dot]dk> wrote in message news:45793739$0$20237$edfa...

Any VPN client for RH linux to connect to office VPN server (Sonicwall)
Guys: We are using Sonicwall VPN server at office, I have VPN client installed on Windows PC, no problem to login to office machines, But I need to access remotely from RH Linux PC, any VPN client available which can connect to Sonic wall VPN server (I need to install that VPN client on Linux PC)?. This way I can check-out my code into Linux machine, which I can compile locally than always telnet/ssh from windows machine which is very slow. Thanks in advance. GS Am Wed, 28 Mar 2007 13:54:54 -0700 schrieb GS: > Guys: > > We are using Sonicwall VPN server at office, I have VPN cli...

Web resources about - VPN-1 CheckPoint Linux client -- no longer supported? - comp.security.firewalls

Checkpoint - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Facebook Users Claim Malware Checkpoint Locked Their Accounts
The Malware Checkpoint Facebook launched Tuesday is running into some issues, with reports of users being locked out of their accounts. continued… ...

Malware Checkpoint for Facebook - Facebook
Facebook Security hat eine Notiz mit dem Titel Malware Checkpoint for Facebook geschrieben. Du kannst den vollständigen Text hier lesen.

Facebook roundup: homepage ads, Android update, measurement challenge, malware checkpoints and more
... the highest potential. Facebook will consider providing funding, access to data assets and collaboration on pilot studies. New malware checkpoints ...

LA DUI Checkpoint (@LADUICheckPoint) on Twitter
Sign in Sign up You are on Twitter Mobile because you are using an old version of Internet Explorer. Learn more here LA DUI Checkpoint @ LADUICheckPoint ...

Mr. Checkpoint on the App Store on iTunes
Get Mr. Checkpoint on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

TSA Security Checkpoint - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
billypalooza.wordpress.com/2009/01/10/tsa-security-checkp...

Illegal Internal Immigration Checkpoint - YouTube
It is better, so the Fourth Amendment teaches us, that the guilty sometimes go free than the citizens be subject to easy arrest. William O. Douglas ...

Baghdad checkpoints frustrate citizens
Residents say checkpoints designed to protect them are causing more problems than they prevent.

Airline employees caught smuggling cash past US security checkpoints
... been arrested on charges of using their airport security clearances to smuggle hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash past security checkpoints ...