What's a good free standalone firewall program for 64-bit W7 HPE SP1?

Hello.

I loved the very old Outpost Firewall 2009, Conseal PC Firewall, Kerio
Personal Firewall, etc. in older Windows. Basically, I just want to be
able to see and block outgoing firewalls easily with their pop-up
alerts. I don't need any other fancy stuff like.

Thank you in advance. :)
--
Quote of the Week: "I really believe I've been a good person. Not
perfect - forget about perfect - but just learning by what I was taught

"Ant" <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote

| I loved the very old Outpost Firewall 2009, Conseal PC Firewall, Kerio
| Personal Firewall, etc. in older Windows. Basically, I just want to be
| able to see and block outgoing firewalls easily with their pop-up
| alerts. I don't need any other fancy stuff like.

  I second FredW. I also use Private Firewall
on Win7. I have Online Armor on XP, but that
changed with later versions.

0
Mayayana
10/22/2016 10:56:13 PM
Ant wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I loved the very old Outpost Firewall 2009, Conseal PC Firewall, Kerio
> Personal Firewall, etc. in older Windows. Basically, I just want to be
> able to see and block outgoing firewalls easily with their pop-up
> alerts. I don't need any other fancy stuff like.
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

I've tried all that I could find and settled on this one for
one reason or another.  It works great and does what you want:
ZoneAlarm version:9.2.102.000
I have it on two 7/64 machines, one 7/32 machine, and 2 XP3 machines.
IMO, all newer versions of ZA are garbage call-home bloatware.

0
Paul
10/22/2016 11:43:33 PM
In alt.windows7.general Paul in Houston TX <Paul@houston.texas> wrote:
> Ant wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > I loved the very old Outpost Firewall 2009, Conseal PC Firewall, Kerio
> > Personal Firewall, etc. in older Windows. Basically, I just want to be
> > able to see and block outgoing firewalls easily with their pop-up
> > alerts. I don't need any other fancy stuff like.
> >
> > Thank you in advance. :)

> I've tried all that I could find and settled on this one for
> one reason or another.  It works great and does what you want:
> ZoneAlarm version:9.2.102.000
> I have it on two 7/64 machines, one 7/32 machine, and 2 XP3 machines.
> IMO, all newer versions of ZA are garbage call-home bloatware.

Does ZoneAlarm.com still have the old version to download? I don't see
it.
--
Quote of the Week: "I really believe I've been a good person. Not
perfect - forget about perfect - but just learning by what I was taught
and living by my own values. I might have stepped on a few ants - and a
few other things as well - but I've never hurt anybody." --Kiri Te
Kanawa
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
10/23/2016 6:24:30 AM
In message <iNydnTG2lpgDypHFnZ2dnUU7-XnNnZ2d@earthlink.com>, Ant
<ANTant@zimage.com> writes:
>In alt.windows7.general Paul in Houston TX <Paul@houston.texas> wrote:
>> Ant wrote:
>> > Hello.
>> >
>> > I loved the very old Outpost Firewall 2009, Conseal PC Firewall, Kerio
>> > Personal Firewall, etc. in older Windows. Basically, I just want to be
>> > able to see and block outgoing firewalls easily with their pop-up
>> > alerts. I don't need any other fancy stuff like.
>> >
>> > Thank you in advance. :)
>
>> I've tried all that I could find and settled on this one for
>> one reason or another.  It works great and does what you want:
>> ZoneAlarm version:9.2.102.000
>> I have it on two 7/64 machines, one 7/32 machine, and 2 XP3 machines.
>> IMO, all newer versions of ZA are garbage call-home bloatware.
>
>Does ZoneAlarm.com still have the old version to download? I don't see
>it.
http://www.oldversion.com/windows/zonealarm/ has lots - though not that
exact one; the nearest is 9.2.106.0 .

I too like KPF - I run it on this XP machine. Does ZA have a similar
list you can view and edit afterwards, of the things you've blocked and
allowed?

"Where's Piglet?" asked Pooh, as he munched a pork pie.

I assume this is it: https://www.privacyware.com/personal_firewall.html
--
Quote of the Week: "I really believe I've been a good person. Not
perfect - forget about perfect - but just learning by what I was taught
and living by my own values. I might have stepped on a few ants - and a
few other things as well - but I've never hurt anybody." --Kiri Te
Kanawa
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
10/23/2016 6:53:31 AM
J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> In message <iNydnTG2lpgDypHFnZ2dnUU7-XnNnZ2d@earthlink.com>, Ant <ANTant@zimage.com> writes:

>>> I've tried all that I could find and settled on this one for
>>> one reason or another.  It works great and does what you want:
>>> ZoneAlarm version:9.2.102.000
>>> I have it on two 7/64 machines, one 7/32 machine, and 2 XP3 machines.
>>> IMO, all newer versions of ZA are garbage call-home bloatware.
>>
>> Does ZoneAlarm.com still have the old version to download? I don't see
>> it.
> http://www.oldversion.com/windows/zonealarm/ has lots - though not that exact one; the
> nearest is 9.2.106.0 .
>
> I too like KPF - I run it on this XP machine. Does ZA have a similar list you can view and
> edit afterwards, of the things you've blocked and allowed?

Yes.  I use the free version.
The editable list and editable zones are the main reasons I like ZA.
It's amazing what tries to call home... basically every executable on W7.
Why do Notepad and Volume Control need to contact Microsoft?  Grrr...

0
Paul
10/23/2016 7:58:50 AM
In message <nuhqkp$rjj$1@dont-email.me>, Paul in Houston TX
<Paul@Houston.Texas> writes:
>J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>> In message <iNydnTG2lpgDypHFnZ2dnUU7-XnNnZ2d@earthlink.com>, Ant
>><ANTant@zimage.com> writes:
>>> In alt.windows7.general Paul in Houston TX <Paul@houston.texas> wrote:
[]

>>> Does ZoneAlarm.com still have the old version to download? I don't see
>>> it.
>> http://www.oldversion.com/windows/zonealarm/ has lots - though not
>>that exact one; the
>> nearest is 9.2.106.0 .
>>
>> I too like KPF - I run it on this XP machine. Does ZA have a similar
>>list you can view and
>> edit afterwards, of the things you've blocked and allowed?
>
>Yes.  I use the free version.

Ah, I hadn't realised oldversion has non-free software. Your preferred
one is there, at http://www.oldversion.com/windows/zonealarm-free/.

>The editable list and editable zones are the main reasons I like ZA.
>It's amazing what tries to call home... basically every executable on W7.
>Why do Notepad and Volume Control need to contact Microsoft?  Grrr...

I can think of no possible reason, other than to check for updates - and
for those two, if they haven't got them right by now, what hope is
there! I presume they still _work_ if you block their access - though
with a delay while they try perhaps?

Illinc fui et illud feci, habe tunicam?
On Sun, 23 Oct 2016 01:53:31 -0500, ANTant@zimage.com (Ant) wrote:
>In comp.security.firewalls Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:
>> "Ant" <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote
>
>> | I loved the very old Outpost Firewall 2009, Conseal PC Firewall, Kerio
>> | Personal Firewall, etc. in older Windows. Basically, I just want to be
>> | able to see and block outgoing firewalls easily with their pop-up
>> | alerts. I don't need any other fancy stuff like.
>> |

>>   I second FredW. I also use Private Firewall
>> on Win7. I have Online Armor on XP, but that
>> changed with later versions.
>
>I assume this is it: https://www.privacyware.com/personal_firewall.html

I will repeat my previous message.
[in which I removed the multitude of multi-posted newsgroups]

I prefer
- PrivateFirewall
http://www.privacyware.com/PF_support.html

alternative:
- Free Firewall (Evorim)
http://www.evorim.com/en/free-firewall

--
Fred W. (NLD)
0
On 10/22/2016 6:37 PM, Ant wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I loved the very old Outpost Firewall 2009, Conseal PC Firewall, Kerio
> Personal Firewall, etc. in older Windows. Basically, I just want to be
> able to see and block outgoing firewalls easily with their pop-up
> alerts. I don't need any other fancy stuff like.
>
> Thank you in advance. :)

Ant, you are my new best friend.  I've been looking for a firewall too.
I just installed ZA and I'm soooo happy.  I've missed Kerio.
0
Thip
10/23/2016 3:43:03 PM
Ant wrote:
> In alt.windows7.general Paul in Houston TX <Paul@houston.texas> wrote:
>> Ant wrote:
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> I loved the very old Outpost Firewall 2009, Conseal PC Firewall, Kerio
>>> Personal Firewall, etc. in older Windows. Basically, I just want to be
>>> able to see and block outgoing firewalls easily with their pop-up
>>> alerts. I don't need any other fancy stuff like.
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance. :)
>
>> I've tried all that I could find and settled on this one for
>> one reason or another.  It works great and does what you want:
>> ZoneAlarm version:9.2.102.000
>> I have it on two 7/64 machines, one 7/32 machine, and 2 XP3 machines.
>> IMO, all newer versions of ZA are garbage call-home bloatware.
>
> Does ZoneAlarm.com still have the old version to download? I don't see
> it.

ZA packages junkware with the program so be SURE to watch the install
screen closely.  I forgot what is included.
IIRC was something like ASK or Yahoo toolbars.

0
Paul
10/23/2016 4:59:34 PM
In alt.windows7.general FredW <fredw@ninmule.invalid> wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Oct 2016 01:53:31 -0500, ANTant@zimage.com (Ant) wrote:
> >In comp.security.firewalls Mayayana <mayayana@invalid.nospam> wrote:
> >> "Ant" <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote

> >>   I second FredW. I also use Private Firewall
> >> on Win7. I have Online Armor on XP, but that
> >> changed with later versions.
> >
> >I assume this is it: https://www.privacyware.com/personal_firewall.html

> I will repeat my previous message.
> [in which I removed the multitude of multi-posted newsgroups]

> I prefer
> - PrivateFirewall
> http://www.privacyware.com/PF_support.html

> alternative:
> - Free Firewall (Evorim)
> http://www.evorim.com/en/free-firewall

Thanks. I will try them out. :)
  /\___/\   Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
 / /\ /\ \                 Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
| |o   o| |
   \ _ /    Please nuke ANT if replying by e-mail privately. If credit-
    ( )     ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
0
ANTant
10/23/2016 10:05:16 PM
In alt.windows7.general Thip <me@privacy.net> wrote:
> On 10/22/2016 6:37 PM, Ant wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > I loved the very old Outpost Firewall 2009, Conseal PC Firewall, Kerio
> > Personal Firewall, etc. in older Windows. Basically, I just want to be
> > able to see and block outgoing firewalls easily with their pop-up
> > alerts. I don't need any other fancy stuff like.
> >
> > Thank you in advance. :)
> >

> Ant, you are my new best friend.  I've been looking for a firewall too.
> I just installed ZA and I'm soooo happy.  I've missed Kerio.

Which version of ZA? The old one?