Software to wipe disk drives on servers and pc

Hello,

I have a few servers and pcs (both personal and business) that I would like to donate to Goodwill.  Before I do that, I want to wipe the drives completely.  Does anyone have a recommendation on a good software product I can use to wipe these drives before donating them?  Thank you in advance for your time.

skymax_taf
comp.security.misc 4155 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

In article <1201727467_4678@news.newsville.com>,
skymax_taf <skymax_taf@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I have a few servers and pcs (both personal and business) that I would
>like to donate to Goodwill.  Before I do that, I want to wipe the drives
>completely.  Does anyone have a recommendation on a good software
>product I can use to wipe these drives before donating them?  Thank you
>in advance for your time.

<SARCASM>
  Evidence Eliminator.
</SARCASM>
0
roberson (2980)
1/30/2008 11:10:29 PM
skymax_taf wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a few servers and pcs (both personal and business) that I would like to donate to Goodwill.  Before I do that, I want to wipe the drives completely.  Does anyone have a recommendation on a good software product I can use to wipe these drives before donating them?  Thank you in advance for your time.
>
> skymax_taf

DBAN (http://dban.sourceforge.net/) as
0
ng (10)
1/31/2008 5:39:59 PM
Christoph Hanle schrieb:
> skymax_taf wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a few servers and pcs (both personal and business) that I would
>> like to donate to Goodwill.  Before I do that, I want to wipe the
>> drives completely.  Does anyone have a recommendation on a good
>> software product I can use to wipe these drives before donating them?
>> Thank you in advance for your time.
>>
>> skymax_taf
>
> DBAN (http://dban.sourceforge.net/) as

Sorry, i sent the wrong mail; now the complete one:
DBAN (http://dban.sourceforge.net/) as GPL solution

or Blancco Data Cleaner plus and pro (http://www.blancco.com) as a
comercial solution.

A problem with DBAN can be the HDDS at the RAID-controllers on the servers.

bye
Christoph
0
ng (10)
1/31/2008 5:51:20 PM
On Wed, 30 Jan 2008, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.security.misc, in article
<Ft7oj.26157$4w.18165@pd7urf2no>, Walter Roberson wrote:

>skymax_taf <skymax_taf@yahoo.com> wrote
>
>>I have a few servers and pcs (both personal and business) that I would
>>like to donate to Goodwill.  Before I do that, I want to wipe the drives
>>completely.  Does anyone have a recommendation on a good software
>>product I can use to wipe these drives before donating them?

You can't use a search engine?

    Web  Results 1 - 10 of about 132,000 for hard disk wiping utility.
   (0.17 seconds)

><SARCASM>
>  Evidence Eliminator.
></SARCASM>

<snickers>

        Old guy
0
ibuprofin2 (2868)
1/31/2008 7:49:49 PM
"skymax_taf" <skymax_taf@yahoo.com> wrote:

>skymax_taf

Thanks for the help and recommendations.....

FA: PC Misc Hardware, Misc Software, Joysticks, Zip Drive and Disks
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=steelhors e86&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50 ...

FA: PC Misc Hardware, Misc Software, Joysticks, Zip Drive and Disks #3
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=steelhorse86 ...

security=server and security=share on the same samba server?
I would like to configure a samba server with the two security modes (share and server) at the same time. Is it possible? If yes, how to do this? Thanks for your help. Regards Didier Didier PARIS wrote: > I would like to configure a samba server with the two security modes > (share and server) at the same time. Is it possible? > If yes, how to do this? Yes. Setup two virtual servers. See Samba documentation for details. Try the O'Rielly book. Since Samba supports include files, the manitenance shouldn't be too onerous. Eric. Didier PARIS wr...

ANN: Disk2FDI 0.95a, importing CBM 1541 disks with PC floppy disk drive
Hello newsgroup, today morning, Vincent Joguin informed me, that a new version of his tool Disk2FDI is out. 2 years ago he developed a technique to completely trick out the standard PC floppy disk controller, so that some foreign disk formats (not beeing MFM or FM encoded) can be read out with standard PC equipment. A long time only nonstandard Amiga-MFM disks could be read out this way, but with version 0.95a some things changed... and I got really shocked! Disk2FDI 0.95a now claims to import GCR encoded Commodore 1541 floppy disks with a standard IBM PC/XT/AT floppy disk controller. But ...

Copy Mac files from PC server to PC Server
I have about 80GB of Mac files I need to move from one PC server to a new one. When I copy the files it is losing the Mac parts of the files so they can not be opened. When I try and mount the two shares to copy with a Mac in the middle I get errors about file names and invalid characters. What is going to be the best way to move this large amount of data and not lose the Mac specific file attributes? I need a way to copy all of these files over night so we can start using the new server the next day. I do not know many UNIX commands, but I am thinking that is what I am going to need. The n...

Disks and Disk Drives
I started a new page about Disks and disk drives. If anyone is interested it is at: http://www.s100-manuals.com/Disk-drives.htm It is a work in progress. It includes information gathered from a variety of sources including Herb Johnson. If there are any errors just let me know at randy at s100-manuals dot com. I will be adding info on DPH's etc soon. Randy On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 17:24:45 -0600, "Randy McLaughlin" <randy@nospam.com> wrote: >I started a new page about Disks and disk drives. If anyone is interested >it is at: > >http://www.s100-manuals...

PC as disk drive for C64?
It it possible to use a PC as a disk-drive for a C64? I know it's possible to connect a C64 disk-drive to the parallellport of a PC, but I don't have a C64 disk-drive and would like to use a PC as a disk-drive for the C64. I know three solutions: http://www.64hdd.com/64hdd.html http://www.kotinet.com/1541/ http://www.cancarpet.com/saymantek/c64tpc_en.html Bithunter wrote: > I know three solutions: > http://www.64hdd.com/64hdd.html > http://www.kotinet.com/1541/ > http://www.cancarpet.com/saymantek/c64tpc_en.html Great! Thanks!! I will build the first two...

Another server device to secure the already secure Linux server?
http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6264_11-5129950.html What's next - armed, jackbooted Linux thugs and vicious Dobermans protecting your server rooms? DFS, after spending 3 minutes figuring out which end of the pen to use, wrote: > http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6264_11-5129950.html > > What's next - armed, jackbooted Linux thugs and vicious Dobermans protecting > your server rooms? You failed your IQ test, didn't you? -- Linux 2.4.20-4GB-athlon 7:17pm up 10 days 22:40, 3 users, load average: 0.06, 0.05, 0.00 On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 19:20:03 -0400, DFS wro...

Securely wiping SCSI disks
Hi All, Got a bunch of Compaq DL380s with smart array controllers and 6 SCSI disks each that I need to decommission - and securely wipe the contents. Fairly familiar with doing this via a variety of opensource bits of software on a desktop - but can anyone point me in the direction of a tool that'll cope with the Compaq controller? I've not got any other SCSI controllers to hand, and it'd make life very much easier (as the machines are based at various sites) if I could supply a boot floppy or CD to the local contacts with some simple instructions that'd write random noise to ...

Disk Drive LED via Software???
Hi All, Is there any program that would simulate a physical disk drive LED? My controller card does not provide a physical LED connection point and I would like to know when certain disks are being accessed. A software version of a disk drive LED would also be helpful when connecting to the system from a remote X server. My current system is SUSE 10.0. Thanks, Steve sjconcord@yahoo.com wrote: > Hi All, > > Is there any program that would simulate a physical disk drive LED? My > controller card does not provide a physical LED connection point and I > would like to know whe...

Portable Disk Drive 2 Software
I've seen info on the web about PDD.EXE 2.10, a program to use a Tandy PDD2 with a PC. I've found version 1.10, but not 2.10. Web100 has a dead link to the program, and other searches came up dry. Does anyone know if this program is available for download? Larry "Larry Fosdick" <Larry_Fosdick@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eSLMa.90088$R73.10833@sccrnsc04... > I've seen info on the web about PDD.EXE 2.10, a program to use a Tandy PDD2 > with a PC. I've found version 1.10, but not 2.10. Web100 has a dead link > to the program, and other searches came up dry. Does anyone know if this > program is available for download? Tried club100.org ?? Neil "Neil" <whome@nothere.com> wrote in message news:k1MMa.30795$ZS3.2826062@news2.telusplanet.net... > > "Larry Fosdick" <Larry_Fosdick@hotmail.com> wrote in message > news:eSLMa.90088$R73.10833@sccrnsc04... > > I've seen info on the web about PDD.EXE 2.10, a program to use a > Tandy PDD2 > > with a PC. I've found version 1.10, but not 2.10. Web100 has a > dead link > > to the program, and other searches came up dry. Does anyone know > if this > > program is available for download? > > Tried club100.org ?? > > Neil > Many thanks, Neil. Did I miss it somewhere? Larry ...

WTB: PC Transporter disk drives
I recently was gifted an Apple IIGS from a person I used to work with. To my surprise, it had a PC Transporter card installed! Unfortunately, he could not locate the 5 1/4" disk drives that he used with it. I know it's probably a long shot, but if you have a set that you would consider selling, please shoot me an email and let me know what you'd like for the drives. Thanks! rich(DOT) martin(AT) gmail(DOT) com On Aug 19, 12:09=A0am, datawiz <rich.mar...@gmail.com> wrote: > I recently was gifted an Apple IIGS from a person I used to work with. > To my surprise, it had a PC Transporter card installed! Unfortunately, > he could not locate the 5 1/4" disk drives that he used with it. I > know it's probably a long shot, but if you have a set that you would > consider selling, please shoot me an email and let me know what you'd > like for the drives. I don't have any drives or cabling for it, sorry - but you can see the video from Applied Engineering on installation here: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=3DFAA8675FFDBB8CBF On Aug 18, 9:09=A0pm, datawiz <rich.mar...@gmail.com> wrote: > I recently was gifted an Apple IIGS from a person I used to work with. > To my surprise, it had a PC Transporter card installed! Unfortunately, > he could not locate the 5 1/4" disk drives that he used with it. http://osites.tripod.com/transport.html ...

recommendations for good disk wiping software?
I know this is off-topic but there are a lot of people here whose judgement I trust, so if you can help please do. Can anyone recommend software for completely cleaning a hard drive? Just got a new machine with 2 GB of RAM (yeah!) and will be donating an "old" machine to a local charity. I want to re-write the entire hard drive (two 60 GB drives) to totally cleanse it of things like TurboTax returns, financial software, etc and re-install the original OS before donating it. (Yes, I know how to reformat the drive, but reformating still leaves files on the disk for those smart enou...

Various Server/MISC software for sale
Hi all, I have purchased a bulk load of software, some of which I have no idea what it does...here are some details below: Citrix metaframe Visio Trellix 2.0 Seagate Crystal Info novell Netware 3.2 PC anwhere 32 for 95/nt/dos lotus Enterprise Integrator for Domino 3.1 Datawatch Monarch AccPAC Plus Accounting AccPAC Plus Accounting Sales Analysis ACCPAC for windows ACCpac for windows Integrity Manager v1.0a release 6.0 for windows ON Location 2.0 (plus more ON utils) Filemake Pro 4.0 for Windows Intragy Access (Network tools for the Enterprise user) Storage Central 4.0 Qu...

PC SERVER 720 FLOPPY DRIVE
Hi everyone. Have not posted anything in a long time but I'm trying to revive my pc server 720 which has been in storage for about 8 years, seems the floppy drive has given up the ghost so I need a replacement, anyone? I can pay via paypal if the price is right. Jerry It would be helpful if you included the FRU or part number from your current drive. The PC Server 720 could have either a 1.44MB or 2.88MB floppy drive (the latter being the standard drive). On Monday, July 13, 2015 at 6:21:13 AM UTC-7, ekb...@vnet.ibm.com wrote: > It would be helpful if you included the FRU or par...

Any Secure Proxy Server Software on FBD?
Has anyone used nylon-1.2_2 3proxy-0.5.1b They are less known, so I am afraid they are buddy to be used in a production server. I heard squid is eating a lot of CPU and memory, and mainly for advanced usages. OttawaTrade wrote: > Has anyone used > nylon-1.2_2 > 3proxy-0.5.1b > > They are less known, so I am afraid they are buddy to be used in a > production server. I've been using nylon for some time now without problems. > I heard squid is eating a lot of CPU and memory, and mainly for advanced > usages. Ah, now we get to the heart of the matter. You're comparing apples and oranges. nylon is a simple socks proxy. Squid is a web cache. These are not the same :-) On my box, with my configuration, nylon is currently using some 2 MB of RAM and squid is using some 25 MB. Neither is exactly great shakes (heck, Thunderbird is currently using some 80 MB of RAM). As for CPU, "it depends". It will use more than nylon, as it does more (like caching for a start). How much more depends on how you configure it. Finally, "secure". In what way? -- Rob MacGregor (BOFH) Oh my God! They killed init! You bastards! (\_/) I'm a leaf in the wind. Watch me soar. (O.o) (> <) ...

Secure Tunnelling software from a usb drive?
Hi, I've spent a while looking for this - does anyone know of a program that can provide ssh and socks5 tunnelling capabilities (for use with a secure proxy) with port forwarding so that multiple programs can be directed to it and it will forward these requests on to a set of specified proxies (depending on whether ssh or socks5)? Oh, and this software must run without install. :( Any help would be fantastic. Cheers, ChampagneDP champagnedatepack@gmail.com wrote: > Hi, > > I've spent a while looking for this - does anyone know of a program > that c...

PC to Apple II disk drive
Do you know about Apple II disk drive hooked up to PC? How is the disk image transferred from Apple into PC? Thanks! Jack Jack Tseng wrote: > Do you know about Apple II disk drive hooked up to PC? How is the disk image > transferred from Apple into PC? It's not that easy. The problem isn't so much with the drive as with the controller, and it takes some trickery to read the information on an Apple 5.25" disk on a PC 5.25" drive (and an Apple drive isn't a real possiblity without hard-to-get hardware with an Apple controller). Check into DSK2FDI for a possi...

100GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm versus 160GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm
I am customizing a thinkpad. I read some discussion about 5400 rpm vs 7200rpm and cannot make a deciison. If I am getting a laptop that is Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 (2.2GHz 800MHz 4MBL2) with 2GB RAM, and (also gettign Intel Turbo Memory 1GB - this is hrad druve cache), what should I choose between the two below for hard drive that are the same price? 100GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm [$60.00] [Popular upgrade] 38% of customers who purchased a T Series upgraded to this hard drive versus 160GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm [$60.00] In news:1188770331.049935.254200@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com, ...

FA: PC Software (Games, Productivity, Misc.)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11047&item=3074752053 ...

NFS server software on a PC for access from VMS
I've been trying to get access set up from VMS via NFS to an NTFS disk on a PC running Windows NT4. The job has been passed around several computer support people and now the verdict is that Omni NFS Server is never likely to work for access from VMS. Can anyone suggest any PC NFS software that is known to work OK for access from VMS? Does anyone use Omni NFS server software on a PC successfully with access from VMS? The motive for using NFS to a PC is purely cheap storage space, the ability to drop a huge disk into a PC and then apply NTFS compression to all the files is very tempting. ...

Disk Drive Cleaning Disks
All right, I know it's better to open up the drive and clean the heads with a cotton swab, but I have a distant client I'm dealing with, so using one of these things himself would be easier and cheaper in the long run. Thing is, I don't know where to get them anymore. I'm hoping someone here may have a clue. Oh, yeah, it's for his 5.25 inch floppy drives. Ralph Glatt julian814 wrote: > All right, I know it's better to open up the drive and clean the heads > with a cotton swab, but I have a distant client I'm dealing with, so > using one of these things...

'wiping' drives on AIX servers
We are getting rid of some AIX servers. On Solaris I always boot from CD and wipe the hard drive. What is the best method exactly to wipe the hard drives on AIX servers such as H80 and B50? Not sure which CD I could boot from to offer that functionality etc. On 23 fev, 12:52, "techme" <douglasalanschroe...@hotmail.com> wrote: > We are getting rid of some AIX servers. On Solaris I always boot from > CD and wipe the hard drive. What is the best method exactly to wipe > the hard drives on AIX servers such as H80 and B50? Not sure which CD > I could boot from to...

External Hard Drive Storage
Hi I've recently purchased a 500 gig external usb iomega hard drive and was wondering is there any security / software that people can recommend. I am looking for the type of system such as the U3 system that they have on ScanDisk storage. I have a ScanDisk Cruzer 2 gig usb key and it has the U3 launcher with great password protection and a range of software you can install to be run off the disk. Freeware would be ideal but if the software does the right job i wouldnt mind parting with the few quid. Thanks Ben Previously Ben <1059107@gmail.com> wrote: > ...

Web resources about - Software to wipe disk drives on servers and pc - comp.security.misc

Software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Computer software or simply software is any set of machine-readable instructions that directs a computer 's processor to perform specific operations. ...

Questioning Software
Given that I resigned a couple weeks ago and am looking for new work , I've been asking myself a lot of questions about what I want to do next. ...

Lessons Learned by a Solo Entrepreneur - Software by Rob
... is written by Rob Walling, a serial web entrepreneur. He writes about startups, internet marketing, SEO, and other topics that interest software ...

Renaissance Software
We help individuals and companies to apply state of the art design and process technologies to both embedded and non-embedded software development. ...

Business of Software
We are gearing up for another awe-inspiring, thought-engaging, and actionable conference in 2012. It is our vision to stir up innovation and ...

Scaling Software Agility - Best Practices for Large Enterprises, by Dean Leffingwell
Best Practices for Large Enterprises, by Dean Leffingwell

Software on the Side
While I was at Ancestry.com, we used the StrengthsFinder assessment to give us insights into ourselves. If you haven’t taken it, I highly recommend ...

The Famous Software Company - Development Blog
A year ago I was looking for an app that enabled me to stream audio from iTunes to my iPhone. I was sharing an apartment at the time, and in ...

A Software Insider's Point of View
Innovative CIO’s Betting On Disruptive Technologies That Impact Enterprise Business Value In the Four Personas of the Next Gen CIO published ...