Client can't connect to the default port, but can connect to other ports

I am not able to connect to the sshd running on default port, but if I
run a new sshd at a specific port, I can connect to it. Here are debug
outputs from the two calls. syslogs don't show anything either. Can
someone please help me solve this problem.

=================
ps -ef
=================
[namit@namit-pc ~/.ssh]$ ps -ef | grep sshd
root      5114     1  0 Aug12 ?        00:00:05 /usr/sbin/sshd
root     19131     1  0 Aug17 ?        00:00:00 /usr/sbin/sshd -p 10111
namit    30922 19148  0 09:52 pts/6    00:00:00 grep sshd
[namit@namit-pc ~/.ssh]$

=================
Default port
=================
[namit@namit-pc ~/.ssh]$ ssh -v localhost
OpenSSH_3.6.1p2, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090701f
debug1: Applying options for *
debug1: Rhosts Authentication disabled, originating port will not be
trusted.
debug1: Connecting to localhost [127.0.0.1] port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: identity file /home/namit/.ssh/identity type -1
debug1: identity file /home/namit/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
debug1: identity file /home/namit/.ssh/id_dsa type 2
debug1: Remote protocol version 1.99, remote software version
OpenSSH_3.6.1p2
debug1: match: OpenSSH_3.6.1p2 pat OpenSSH*
debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_3.6.1p2
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT received
debug1: kex: server->client aes128-cbc hmac-md5 none
debug1: kex: client->server aes128-cbc hmac-md5 none
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_REQUEST sent
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_GROUP
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_INIT sent
debug1: Host 'localhost' is known and matches the RSA host key.
debug1: Found key in /home/namit/.ssh/known_hosts:1
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS sent
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS received
debug1: SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_REQUEST sent
debug1: Authentications that can continue:
publickey,password,keyboard-interactive
debug1: Trying private key: /home/namit/.ssh/identity
debug1: Trying private key: /home/namit/.ssh/id_rsa
debug1: Offering public key: /home/namit/.ssh/id_dsa
debug1: Server accepts key: pkalg ssh-dss blen 433 lastkey 0x8e4ae00
hint 2
debug1: read PEM private key done: type DSA
debug1: Authentication succeeded (publickey).
debug1: channel 0: new [client-session]
debug1: Entering interactive session.
debug1: channel 0: request pty-req
debug1: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing.
debug1: channel 0: request x11-req
debug1: Requesting authentication agent forwarding.
debug1: channel 0: request auth-agent-req@openssh.com
debug1: channel 0: request shell
debug1: channel 0: open confirm rwindow 0 rmax 32768
debug1: channel_free: channel 0: client-session, nchannels 1
Connection to localhost closed by remote host.
Connection to localhost closed.
debug1: Transferred: stdin 0, stdout 0, stderr 81 bytes in 0.3 seconds
debug1: Bytes per second: stdin 0.0, stdout 0.0, stderr 317.3
debug1: Exit status -1

=================
Specific port
=================
[namit@namit-pc ~/.ssh]$ ssh -v localhost -p 10111
OpenSSH_3.6.1p2, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090701f
debug1: Applying options for *
debug1: Rhosts Authentication disabled, originating port will not be
trusted.
debug1: Connecting to localhost [127.0.0.1] port 10111.
[...]
debug1: Server accepts key: pkalg ssh-dss blen 433 lastkey 0x8ac79d0
hint 2
debug1: read PEM private key done: type DSA
debug1: Authentication succeeded (publickey).
debug1: channel 0: new [client-session]
debug1: Entering interactive session.
debug1: channel 0: request pty-req
debug1: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing.
debug1: channel 0: request x11-req
debug1: Requesting authentication agent forwarding.
debug1: channel 0: request auth-agent-req@openssh.com
debug1: channel 0: request shell
debug1: channel 0: open confirm rwindow 0 rmax 32768

You can "connect to" both sshd's; and in fact both allow you authenticate
and log in -- but the login session on one terminates immediately.  Run
that server in debug mode and find out why.

--
  Richard Silverman
  res@qoxp.net

0
res49 (1410)

CORRECTION : Can't connect to Xserver SHOULD BE Can't connect to XVNCserver

can't connect to smtp port from other machine, but can do it from localhost
Currently working through the O'Reilly sendmail book (ed. 3). sendmail 8.12.8 is being started with flags -bd -q1h on a redhat 9 system. I can telnet to the smtp port from the local machine just fine: [root@jura mail]# telnet 127.0.0.1 25 Trying 127.0.0.1... Connected to 127.0.0.1. Escape character is '^]'. 220 localhost.localdomain ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.8/8.12.8; Tue, 9 Nov 2004 13:54:28 GMT If I try from another machine on our office network, my own desktop machine, I can't connect: alex@Glenlivet ~ $ telnet 192.168.1.108 25 Trying 192.168.1.108... telnet: Unable to con...

squid can't start, can't bind to port
I have a CentOS 5.2 server that for several weeks has been running squid on port 9765 with no problem (only accepting requests from certain external IPs). Some time yesterday it stopped working, and attempts to start squid now say only: [root@hostname28043 squid]# service squid start Starting squid: .................... [FAILED] The last lines of the cache.log file (whose dates correspond to the last time I attempted to start squid) say: 2009/02/10 03:48:20| Starting Squid Cache version 2.6.STABLE6 for i686- redhat-li nux-gnu... 2009/02/10 03:48:20| Process ID 3306 20...

Cisco 1811 K9- VPN clients can connect, but can't connect or ping to computers
I have an 1811 that I use as a firewall. Last Friday I configured a site to site VPN for a vendor to do offsite backups. Ever since then, remote users have reported that they successfully connect their VPN clients, but all traffic (email, remote desktop) is denied. Any ideas? On Jan 30, 3:30=A0pm, Pappy <sodapopsa...@gmail.com> wrote: > I have an 1811 that I use as a firewall. =A0Last Friday I configured a > site to site VPN for a vendor to do offsite backups. =A0Ever since then, > remote users have reported that they successfully connect their VPN > clients, but all traf...

Net::SSH::Perl -- can't map service name 'ssh' to port number
I have installed Net::SSH::Perl on Solaris 2.8. Perl version is 5.005_03. To keep it simple, let's say my script is housed on domain A, and I'm trying to ssh to domain B and run a command (pwd). When I run my script, I get the error report: can't map service name 'ssh' to port number at ./test-ssh.pl line 7. I am running the script as the user 'perl.' I have confirmed the user perl can ssh from the command line on domain A to domain B. Needless to say, ssh is in perl's path. Here are a few lines from test-ssh.pl: #!/usr/local/bin/perl -w use strict; use N...

Palm can't find com port to synch. I can't either.
Hi. I just got a palm IIIxe. It has a serial connection. When I try to synch, it can't find the computer, and it gave an error message about the com port being busy or not available. I opened the hotsynch on the laptop, and it only showed com 3 Com 1 seemed missing. Is there a way to see what com 1 is being used for? And are com ports numbered 1 and 3? Thanks Jim I wish you luck in getting this "ancient" palm device to work with XP's interpretation of Com ports. Yes there is com 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. You may want to search Microsoft's web site for inform...

Can't connect to modem from serial port
I am trying to connect to a modem from a Digital/Compaq box running Digital Unix 4.0E, using the cable supplied with the modem (a US Robotics), i.e. 25-way at the modem to 9-way at the back of the box. I set up /usr/lib/uucp/Devices, I type "cu -l/dev/tty00" and get Connected, but typing AT does not echo, and I cannot ~. (have to kill the "cu"). I have tried various speeds (with "-s", and entries in /usr/lib/uucp/Devices). The same modem works OK from the back of a PC. I have put a break-out box on the cable and see the RTS and DTR lights change state,...

Can't connect to my server on port 8080 (???)
Hi all.. As my subject suggests, I'm having issues with my ports opening on my computer. Recently installed Ubuntu 6.06 and am trying to install oracle-xe, which took me through the configuration and finished doing so with no problems.. Whilst on the local machine, I'm having no issues logging on to the server (ie localhost:8080/apex) However, can't access it when trying to access it through another computer on the network.. When I nmap the machine, here's what I get: >From local machine: PORT STATE SERVICE 22/tcp open ssh 631/tcp open ipp 1521/tcp open oracle...

Re: Can't connect to Windows port + other
A few days ago there was a fellow that had trouble connecting remotely to the 8.0 beta win port. I had the same problem, but have since found the solution. In postgresql.conf file, ensure the line "listen_addresses" is set to '*', ie, listen_addresses = '*' This should do it. Can someone explain to my why this line is here? Wouldn't the settings in the pg_hba.conf file limit who is able to connect? If so, why not set the listen_addresses to '*' right away? Also, while I'm at it, one more question if I may... I'd like to be able to run a batch file to perform some tasks immediately following installation of the database. For example, createuser -U [super user name] -a -d [user name] but it always fails because I don't know how to add the password for the super user into the command line, and of course the super user will always have a password. Is there a way to do this? Much thanks to all. ---------------------------(end of broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 2: you can get off all lists at once with the unregister command (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo@postgresql.org) "Anony Mous" <A.Mous@shaw.ca> writes: > A few days ago there was a fellow that had trouble connecting remotely to > the 8.0 beta win port. I had the same problem, but have since found the > solution. In postgresql.conf file, ensure the line &quo...

Cisco VPN client connects but can't ping or connect to anything?
I have a strange problem with one particular machine with Cisco vpn client installed. Numerous people report that they can connect successfully and map drives. However when this one remote user connects, she can't ping or map drives to any servers?? The internal network behind Cisco PIX is a 192.168.2.x/24 network, the private network the client is coming from is of 10.x.x.x/xx network. WinXP firewall is disabled on the client machine. Machines that vpn in receive IP addresses 192.168.2.110-120 . Any ideas?? thank you "ronnieshih" <ronnieshih@gmail.com> wrote in m...

PPTP VPN client can make connection but can't see network resources
Hi, I am trying to setup a VPN between my home and the office and can only get it partially working. Office ------- * Small network connected to the internet by a Draytek router (Draytek 2600). * Draytek router has an inbuilt VPN server which is setup and running. Home ----- * Win98 Box. Have installed VPN client and can successfully attach to the Draytek routers VPN server across the intenet and get access to all the office network resources. This was very simple to do and works fine. * SUSE Linux box. Have installed pptp and can establish a connection to the Draytek routers VPN server...

I CAN connect socket to any localhost port but I shouldn't be able to
Hi, I don't have server listening on port 8084 but I can open socket to it (and to many other ports, tested for all<8000) import socket def test(port): af, socktype, proto, canonname, sa = socket.getaddrinfo('localhost', port, socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)[0] s = socket.socket(af, socktype, proto) s.settimeout(1.0) s.connect(('localhost', port)) s.close() # This doesn't throw socket.error, it happily finishes for x in range(1, 8000): test(x) Thanks, Tvrtko En Tue, 29 Jul 2008 14:56:08 -0300, qvx <qvx3000@gmail.com> es...

Can Connect, But Can't Surf
Hi guys, I'm using Aztech 56k USB modem on the Fedora. I download the driver for this modem and seems to set it up successfully since i can dialup and login to the ISP. But the strange thing is, whatever address that I type in on the browser, I just can't get to the web server.. even I "ping yahoo.com" it told me "Unknown Host". So where should I diagnose the problem? I suspect maybe is the DNS setup error (the current DNS setting is "Automatic ....") any others?? max <zvulcan@yahoo.com> wrote: > Hi guys, > I'm using Aztech 56k USB mo...

Can't connect : not trusted connection
Goodmorning, I can't connect to a DbServer in my Lan ,because the server gives me an error ,"not trusted connection" when i try to connect with an account predefined. Could you give me some hints? Thanks Roberto ...

can ping, can't connect
Ok, I have a sever box running Debian stable with a 2.6 kernel (686). It was working fine. Suddenly after about a month up time it stopped, I think it was an IP ipdate form the cable modem but whatever happened I rebooted and when it came back up it cuold no longer make connections. It is now sitting behind my emergency windows box ICS. It can ping www.google.com with no problem but links www.google.com sits there with "Making connection". I did have it running a firewall that caused no probs for outbound connections like that but i have turned that off. It wont let me ssh in...

I Can't Fine A SCSI Cable(two
Does anyone know where I can purchase a SCSI Cable(two - cent 50 f scsi ports connected to an ide connector in the middle) for an internal cd rom enclosure. I've searched everywhere but can't find one. Thanks. gpayne88@aol.com wrote: > Does anyone know where I can purchase a SCSI Cable(two - cent 50 f > scsi ports connected to an ide connector in the middle) for an > internal cd rom enclosure. I've searched everywhere but can't find > one. Thanks. so you want a 50 pin ribbon cable with these: http://www.startech.com/Product/ItemDetail.aspx?productid=C50PCFIDC ...

Mysql can connect, but PHP can't?
Hi, my first time posting on a newsgroup. anyway, let's cut to the chase. I'm trying to migrate mysql database form one server to another server. So I copied the data from /var/lib/mysql to the other one.. and use INSERT INTO from the old database to the new one..so the Top level 'mysql' database has all the correct users and password and priviledge. however, when one of the php website trying to load..it'll say Unable to login to the MySQL database 'tikiwiki' on 'localhost' as user 'user1' Go here to begin the installation process, if you haven&#...

Can ping sites but can't connect to them
After upgrading win98 to win98se, I installed a new network card, Belkin F5D5000. I am connected to a network through a router and cable modem. This computer is able to recognize and communicate with all other computers on the network, but it will not connect to internet addresses, not even the router address 192.168.0.1 I can, however ping any address and get a response. Why can't I get a normal internet connection? Other computers on the network connect normally to the internet. Your help would be appreciated. The Limey Check and make sure Proxy is checked to 'Automat...

Can't connect with ssh
Ummm... That one is strange: I can't login via ssh on one of my machines. ssh asks for a password then hangs, i can't even get out of it with Ctrl-C or ctrl-D. I can login via telnet to it with no problem. I have checked, that there is no firewall problem by trying to ssh from a machine that is in the same zone (no firewall between them) - the problem occurs as well. So I have tried to restart sshd, but the problem remains. The sessions connected via ssh before the problem occured, still work. What else can I do without restarting the machine? The oslevel is 4330-10 On 17 Wrz, ...

Can connect to network but can't browse internet
Here is my situation. I have verizon DSL and two computers in the network. One is running windows 98se and is plugged directly into the linksys router and the other is running windows XP and has a wireless card. My computer, which is running win98se, took a dive and I had to reinstall my DUN and VPN. I reinstalled the verizon software and this one is up and running. The XP computer however is causing me some troubles. It says it's connected to our network. I can browse files on the XP machine from the 98SE machine and the XP machine can access the router via 192.168.1.1 in the brows...

vpn can connect, can't reach hosts
Hi all, I'm a vpn newbie. I'm using pptpconfig to connect via suse 9.3 - which seems to use the standard pptp that comes with the disto, and I get this message: Using interface ppp0pptpconfig: monitoring interface ppp0 Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/4 MPPE 128-bit stateless compression enabled local IP address 192.168.2.106 remote IP address 192.168.2.101 pptpconfig: pppd process exit status 0 (started) ip route replace 24.199.x.x via 200.157.x.x dev eth0 src 200.157.x.x pptpconfig: routes added to remote networks pptpconfig: usepeerdns was set, but /{var/run,etc}/ppp/resolv.con...

Internet Explorer can't connect after VPN connection
Just in case anyone else runs into this problem.... I signed up for a PeoplePC dialup account before checking them out. Now, I will always checkout a dialup before I sign up. Their software, in addition to adding a custom toolbar to IE v6, decided to modify all of the network connections I had previously created including a secure VPN connection to work. After uninstalling their software I discovered that I could no longer browse with IE when my VPN was connected. After making sure "Use Default Gateway" was NOT enabled for the VPN and removing every shread of evidence of PPC softwar...

Can connect to network but can't browse internet
Here is my situation. I have verizon DSL and two computers in the network. One is running windows 98se and is plugged directly into the linksys router and the other is running windows XP and has a wireless card. My computer, which is running win98se, took a dive and I had to reinstall my DUN and VPN. I reinstalled the verizon software and this one is up and running. The XP computer however is causing me some troubles. It says it's connected to our network. I can browse files on the XP machine from the 98SE machine and the XP machine can access the router via 192.168.1.1 in the brows...

Can the client control the port which it connects to the server from ?
Hi Guys Consider this I want to connect to 172.20.20.1 port 2000 Now if I start a client on 172.20.20.2 which is connecting to 172.20.20.1. port 2000 Is there any way I can tell the client to use on port 3000 on the client machine for the connection ? or alternatively use the same port (is used on the client side) when re-connection to that address ? That is if I connect to 172.20.20.1 port 2000 from 172.20.20.2 using port 3000 (for an example),next time I connect to 172.20.20.1 I would use port 3000 again (but I don't want to hold open the connection between 172.20.20.1...

Web resources about - Client can't connect to the default port, but can connect to other ports - comp.security.ssh