Hi,

I'm working to uncover why my ssh sessions usually hang if I open any X pro=
grams (i.e. I've turned on X11 forwarding).  This posting, https://groups.g=
oogle.com/forum/#!topic/comp.security.ssh/GHn8g7wg78Y, has been most helpfu=
l.  However, I don't quite understand what I'm looking at with the ~# escap=
e sequence.  This is what I've got:

[afalanga@hercules ~]$ ~#
The following connections are open:
  #0 client-session (t4 r0 i0/0 o0/0 fd 4/5 cc -1)

From the ssh manual page, I can easily see ~# means

     ~#	     List forwarded connections.

However, this does not explain what the "stuff" in parentheses are.  What d=
oes it mean?

Andy
0
af300wsm

How to secure SSH from low security app server to high security DB server?
We need to be able to run commands from a low security application server (as this is running web servers and thus a large number of people have access to the web servers) to a high security database server. I would like to use SSH (maybe a locked down ssh server) to do this but the system administrators will not allow this as they say that if a bug is found with the SSH server then the secure database server could be compromised by the compromised SSH server. The sysadmins want us to come up with another way of running commands on the database server from the application server. I th...

how secure is the security from my security form?
Hey, I have a question about how secure the following will be.... I want to have a login form that posts to itself, so when it loads it checks if there is a username and password on the query list. If there is not, it asks for one. If there is, it checks to see if the information is valid. If it is not valid, it deletes the attributes and calls itself again. If it is valid it sets a particular session variable to be some value and redirects to the next page. Every page from there on in will check to see if the session variable is set and if not will redirect back to the login page. Are ...

[...]

[News] Red Hat Explains System Security, Trolls Security

Is this is output from EXPLAIN?
Total Cost: 43.712 Query Degree: 1 Rows RETURN ( 1) Cost I/O | 3.44 HSJOIN ( 2) 43.712 2 /-----+-----\ 86 3.44 TBSCAN TBSCAN ( 3) ( 4) 20.7463 22.2771 1 1 | | 86 86 TABLE: LORYSA TABLE: LORYSA CHILD_TABLE MAIN_TABLE What tool generating such o...

Security
I've been doing some investigation into a little problem with privileges. And this is what I have found. If you want to access an Informix database via ODBC and your normal login and password are restricted then set up your odbc connection with no user name and password and you can do anything. This is what I did to prove it. 1. I created a new database called security. 2. I added two tables - opentab and securetab 3. I revoked all permissions on securetab from public 4. I granted connect to public. 5. From MS-Access I set up a new database 6. I used "link-tables...

ssh to ssh
I have the following scenerio: Remote PC with Xmanager small linux gateway, with sshd and ssh but no X software local host with sshd and X software I am trying to do the following from the remote PC: ssh -X (gateway addr. x.x.x.x "ssh -X (local host add 192.168.25.40) xterm" and it is failing. Please help if possible. Looking at the verbose output I see: OpenSSH_3.8.1p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7c 30 Sep 2003 debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0 debug1: Connecting to x.x.x.x [x.x.x.x] port 80. debug1: Connection established. debug1: ident...

net::ssh::Perl connecting to f-secure ssh server
Hi, I asked this on the wonderful Perlmonks site and am repeating here incase the one with the answer is here and not there.... We need to write a script that will connect to a softswitch (Ericsson), run commands retrieving output to files and sometimes using some of that output as parameters to more commands. The softswitch runs on Windows NT server and uses F-Secure 3.2.0. The client box will be Solaris with Perl 5.8.8. I can run ssh from the shell and connect OK. I can run the "commands" and see output on screen. I have started to write a demo in Perl and I can login f...

ssh security
Hi folks, question about ssh, (if anyone knows of a more suitable group please let me know) If you try to log into a remote machine that you're not allowed access to, you still get a display of a load of info e.g. OpenSSH_3.4p1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090607f debug1: Reading configuration data /usr/local/etc/ssh_config debug1: Rhosts Authentication disabled, originating port will not be trusted. debug1: ssh_connect: needpriv 0 debug1: Connecting to bounty [10.230.199.220] port 22. debug1: Connection established. debug1: identity file /home/rreynold/.ssh/identity type -1 debug1...

How secure is ssh?
The problem: at work a group of *nix admins, myself included, are attempting to "buck the system." There is an auditing tool being rolled-out that logs into every *nix/linux box (tens of thousands of them) using a particular user name and authenticating with a passwordless (nothing in /etc/shadow or /etc/master.passwd, etc.) ssh connection -- the public ssh key for the username being put in /home/username/.ssh on every "client." The account is non-priveledged, ie., no root access -- just a regular user. We are attempting to explain that putting the same user account (wi...

ssh security
I was in wonder when a pair key is generated by openssh, is there any other file that is being written which keeps some info about the keys being generated???. how to time stamp a key to expire it at certain date? ?? how do I know if a key is being time stamped? Thanks for any help >>>>> "Linda" == Linda @ NY <sexypunda@yahoo.com> writes: Linda> I was in wonder when a pair key is generated by openssh, is Linda> there any other file that is being written which keeps some Linda> info about the keys being generated???. No; just the two ...

Can Someone Explain (No Pun Intended) this Explain Plan Output ?
We're running DB2 v7.1 on OS/390. The DBA guys gave us a macro to generate an explain plan against a query that is stored in a PDS member. The output for a query in the test environment looks like: PLAN TABLE NAME / ACCESS / IX N N N N C C C C NUM INDEX NAME MTHD MATCHCOLS ONLY U J O G U J O G ---- -------------------------- ---- --------- ---- - - - - - - - - 1 AUTHID.BIGTABLE 0 I 2 N N N N N N N N N AUTHID.INDEX1 2 AUTHID.LOOKUP 1 R N N N N N N N N N 3...

Web resources about - Explain the output of ~# - comp.security.ssh

Clarissa Explains It All - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
is a teen girl who addresses the audience directly to describe the things that are happening in her life, dealing with typical pre-adolescent ...

Facebook Engineer Apologizes For Blocking Image-Sharing Site Imgur, Explains What Happened
Accidents happen, including during the course of operating and maintaining a social network with more than 900 million monthly average users ...

Rembert Tries to Explain the '80s: Too Close for Comfort 's Very Special Episode
Editor's Note: Welcome to our new series, Rembert Tries to Explain the '80s. Every so often, we'll e-mail 24-year-old Rembert Browne a YouTube ...

Facebook explains how 20% text overlay policy for ads is enforced
... system, which includes a grid-based text overlay detection tool. Then only a percentage of ads will be reviewed by humans. This would explain ...

Exclusive: Police Officer Darren Wilson explains why he feared for his life
Exclusive: Police Officer Darren Wilson explains why he feared for his life

Who can explain difference between superyacht, megayacht and giga yacht?
... LinkedIn for free to participate in the conversation. When you join, you can comment and post your own discussions. Thet Htwe Who can explain ...

Can you explain the gist of why Tape Backups saved the day for Google?
Answer (1 of 3): I realize this question is old, but someone just brought it to my attention as a question of the assumptions in the existing ...

Medikidz explain Type One Diabetes on the App Store on iTunes
Get Medikidz explain Type One Diabetes on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Tim Armstrong explains it all - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Tim Armstrong, CEO of AOL, is interviewed on-stage as part of the company's presentation about content and online strategy during Advertising ...

Mark Ruffalo explains Occupy Wall Street - YouTube
... award-winning actor and director, caught up with RT's Lucy Kafanov on Saturday at the Occupy Wall Street protest in New York City and explained... ...