FTP port forwarding in SSH.. Secure??

I was trying the "FTP Port Forwarding"
to secure the FTP transfer). I really like it, but I have a question:
On the unix manual pages (man ssh2), the description of the "-L"
option indicates that part of the connection is not secure when you
use FTP Port Forwarding, could someone please explain me what part is
not secure? Is it referring to the FTP data which is non-encrypted
inside the tunnel? Below is text from manual
page for F-Secure SSH2

SSH2                                                      SSH2(1)

NAME
     ssh2 - secure shell client (remote login program)
     -L     [protocol/][localhost:]port:host:hostport    or    -L
          socks/[localhost:]port
          The given port on the local (client) host is  forwarded
          to  the  given  host and port on the remote side.  This
          allocates a listener  port  port  on  the  local  side.
          Whenever  a  connection  is  made to this listener, the
          connection is forwarded over the secure channel  and  a
          connection  is  made  to  host:hostport from the remote
          machine (this latter connection will not be secure,  it
<----- why
not secure?
          is  a normal TCP connection).  Port forwarding can also
          be specified in the configuration file.

Thank for any input anyone has here to clarify

-Nate
0
zantar (6)

As the man page indicates, that leg of the forwarding is a plain TCP
connection.  If the SSH server and the FTP server are not on the same
host, then that connection it passes over a network and is hence not
secured.

--
  Richard Silverman
  res@qoxp.net

0
res49 (1410)
2/20/2004 5:53:11 PM
<zantar@verizon.net> wrote in message
> I was trying the "FTP Port Forwarding"
> to secure the FTP transfer). I really like it, but I have a question:

Only the command channel passes through SSH. Data channels are created and
removed as you download/upload files.

0
news1003 (20)
2/22/2004 2:37:56 AM
SSH LTD and F-Secure ssh seems to have a command that does FTP
Filtering.  An example of the command syntax
SSH -l <user> -L ftp/21:localhost:21

Anyone tried that yet. Supposedly it opens the secure data tunnels on
the fly. I guess the best thing to do is try it.

-Nathan

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 02:37:56 GMT, "PT Wang" <news1003@paultwang.com>
wrote:

><zantar@verizon.net> wrote in message
>> I was trying the "FTP Port Forwarding"
>> to secure the FTP transfer). I really like it, but I have a question:
>
>Only the command channel passes through SSH. Data channels are created and
>removed as you download/upload files.

0
zantar (6)
2/24/2004 1:47:55 AM
On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 02:37:56 GMT, "PT Wang" <news1003@paultwang.com> wrote:

>Only the command channel passes through SSH. Data channels are created and
>removed as you download/upload files.

This is false; the feature he's talking about routes the FTP data
connections over SSH channels as well.

--
  Richard Silverman
  res@qoxp.net

0
res49 (1410)
2/24/2004 4:05:32 AM
Can you not use passive mode,,, thats supposed to transfer the data over the
same connection?

"Richard E. Silverman" <res@qoxp.net> wrote in message

> On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 02:37:56 GMT, "PT Wang" <news1003@paultwang.com>
wrote:

> >Only the command channel passes through SSH. Data channels are created
and
> >removed as you download/upload files.
>
> This is false; the feature he's talking about routes the FTP data
> connections over SSH channels as well.
>
> --
>   Richard Silverman
>   res@qoxp.net

0
nigel5 (3)
2/28/2004 2:08:04 PM

    NJ> Can you not use passive mode,,, thats supposed to transfer the
    NJ> data over the same connection?

No, it doesn't -- FTP "passive" mode simply makes the data connections in
the other direction, i.e. from client to server.

--
  Richard Silverman
  res@qoxp.net

0
res49 (1410)

How to secure SSH from low security app server to high security DB server?
We need to be able to run commands from a low security application server (as this is running web servers and thus a large number of people have access to the web servers) to a high security database server. I would like to use SSH (maybe a locked down ssh server) to do this but the system administrators will not allow this as they say that if a bug is found with the SSH server then the secure database server could be compromised by the compromised SSH server. The sysadmins want us to come up with another way of running commands on the database server from the application server. I think that doing it another way is like reinventing the wheel, why use another method when SSH was probably designed to do this? Or, is there a better way of doing this? LOW SECURITY APPLICATION SERVER ----------FIREWALL------------- HIGH SECURITY DATABASE SERVER Snewber wrote: > We need to be able to run commands from a low security application > server (as this is running web servers and thus a large number of people > have access to the web servers) to a high security database server. I > would like to use SSH (maybe a locked down ssh server) to do this but > the system administrators will not allow this as they say that if a bug > is found with the SSH server then the secure database server could be > compromised by the compromised SSH server. The sysadmins want us to come > up with another way of running commands on the database server from the &...

ssh.com v3.2.9.1 slow performance with ftp over ssh port forwarding?
Hi, i am using a ssh port forwarded tunnel to secure a ftp connection between 2 linux boxes. both run the same ssh version, mentioned in subject. what i do is: ssh -l username remotehost -L ftp/10001:localhost:21 ftp/ should ensure that the data channel is encrypted via the tunnel as well, not only the control channel. anyways, i got a 3 mbit dsl line here, and am not able to get more than 210KByte/sec over the forwarded ftp connection. i treid the same setup to other machines as well, same results. i tried changing the ciphers, performance stays the same. i mean i would expect some overhead, but not anything near 100%, cause if i do regular ftp transfer to that remote box i get a constant speed of around 355 KByte/sec. i also tried using SFTP, which also gives me about 350 Kbyte/sec..... anyways, for certain reasons, i need the ftp connect through a port forward tunnel, otherwise i'd stick with SFTP. can anyone tell me if there are certain tweaks or config settings for port forwarding that improve performance? or is it really a simple overhead problem, and nothing can be done about it? thanks for any help ... Thorsten ...

ssh forwarding security
Hi, I am not clear on ssh tunneling security. If I'm understanding it correctly, a tunnel is available to all processes on a machine, regardless of their credentials. If an attacker has access to a machine, knows a victim has opened a tunnel, and knows the tcp port, that attacker can easily run a program under his own credentials on that machine (no need to break the victim's credentials) and then loopback to the tunnel port bound to 127.0.0.1 by the victim. Are there any mitigation factors I'm missing? Is there additional checking implemented that may prevent this attack? >>>>> "VV" == v ventura <injvstice@gmail.com> writes: VV> Hi, I am not clear on ssh tunneling security. If I'm understanding VV> it correctly, a tunnel is available to all processes on a machine, VV> regardless of their credentials. If an attacker has access to a VV> machine, knows a victim has opened a tunnel, and knows the tcp VV> port, that attacker can easily run a program under his own VV> credentials on that machine (no need to break the victim's VV> credentials) and then loopback to the tunnel port bound to VV> 127.0.0.1 by the victim. VV> Are there any mitigation factors I'm missing? Is there additional VV> checking implemented that may prevent this attack? No. In the special case of X forwarding, OpenSSH requires xauth cookie-style authentication to the X proxy -...

SSH
Having got SSH working on my Solaris 2.8 Ultra (Thanks list) I now have a question regarding making the port a bit more secure. Almost as soon as 22 was opened on the firewall I saw an attempt to get in from North Korea :-( What I have done so far is to: Move the port from 22 to above 1024. Turn off allowing root. Turn off password checking so you have to have a known rsa key. Is this enough or can I improve on this? TIA -- Regards Dave Saville NB Remove no-spam- for good email address "Dave Saville" <dave@no-spam-deezee.org> writes: >Having got SSH working on my...

Secure FTP, SSH
I need to connect to a secure FTP site, is there a way to do this from within MATLAB? In article <fsgqif$lc$1@fred.mathworks.com>, Andrew <andrewslaughter@hotmail.com> wrote: >I need to connect to a secure FTP site, is there a way to do >this from within MATLAB? To cross-check: do you mean FTP over SSL, or SFTP, the SSH File Transfer Protocol ? -- "The human mind is so strangely capricious, that, when freed from the pressure of real misery, it becomes open and sensitive to the ideal apprehension of ideal calamities." -- Sir Walter Scot...

ssh and secure ftp
We have an associate who wants to transfer files with secure ftp. I have AIX 4.3.3, what do I need, just a client, or do I need to install SSH, and then a client? Can anyone point me in the right direction for freeware versions of what I need? "Dale DeRemer" <dderemer_nospam@agmc.org> wrote in message news:ceb4hp$57$1@malgudi.oar.net... > We have an associate who wants to transfer files with secure ftp. I have AIX > 4.3.3, what do I need, just a client, or do I need to install SSH, and then > a client? Can anyone point me in the right direction for freeware version...

Prevent blocking remote port when setting up a SSH tunnel/SSH port forwarding?
Assume I create an SSH tunnel to a remote computer with ssh foobar@remcomp -L 20110:remcomp:110 then it seems to me that on the remote computer port 110 is blocked for other clients. Is this true? How can I prevent this exclusive locking? Peter pins1000@yahoo.com (Peter Insold) writes: > Assume I create an SSH tunnel to a remote computer with > > ssh foobar@remcomp -L 20110:remcomp:110 > > then it seems to me that on the remote computer port 110 is blocked for other > clients. Is this true? No. DES -- Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des@des.no...

ftp ssh port forwarding
I tried everything I can, but it does not work?? I searched the web, and tried different clients but it just does not work, the connection is established, and then I loose the connection...what I am trying to do is the following (FTP Client) ----encryption----> (SSH Server) -----unencrypted----> (FTP Server) The FTP Client, SSH Server, and the FTP Server are not part of the same network....So please if you did something similar show me how to do it?? -- --------------------------------- --- -- - Posted with NewsLeecher v3.8 Beta 6 Web @ http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet ------------------- ----- ---- -- - >>>>> "SSH" == SSH <SSH@no-luck.net> writes: SSH> I tried everything I can, but it does not work?? I searched the SSH> web, and tried different clients but it just does not work, the SSH> connection is established, and then I loose the connection...what SSH> I am trying to do is the following SSH> (FTP Client) ----encryption----> (SSH Server) SSH> -----unencrypted----> (FTP Server) SSH> The FTP Client, SSH Server, and the FTP Server are not part of SSH> the same network....So please if you did something similar show SSH> me how to do it?? Tunnelling FTP over SSH using static port forwarding is not usually feasible, since FTP uses multiple TCP connections and embeds IP addresses inside the protocol. -- Richard Silverman res@qoxp.net ...

How secure is the security from my security form?
Hey, I have a question about how secure the following will be.... I want to have a login form that posts to itself, so when it loads it checks if there is a username and password on the query list. If there is not, it asks for one. If there is, it checks to see if the information is valid. If it is not valid, it deletes the attributes and calls itself again. If it is valid it sets a particular session variable to be some value and redirects to the next page. Every page from there on in will check to see if the session variable is set and if not will redirect back to the lo...

How secure is the security from my security form?
Hey, I have a question about how secure the following will be.... I want to have a login form that posts to itself, so when it loads it checks if there is a username and password on the query list. If there is not, it asks for one. If there is, it checks to see if the information is valid. If it is not valid, it deletes the attributes and calls itself again. If it is valid it sets a particular session variable to be some value and redirects to the next page. Every page from there on in will check to see if the session variable is set and if not will redirect back to the lo...

how secure is the security from my security form?
Hey, I have a question about how secure the following will be.... I want to have a login form that posts to itself, so when it loads it checks if there is a username and password on the query list. If there is not, it asks for one. If there is, it checks to see if the information is valid. If it is not valid, it deletes the attributes and calls itself again. If it is valid it sets a particular session variable to be some value and redirects to the next page. Every page from there on in will check to see if the session variable is set and if not will redirect back to the login page. Are ...

How secure is the security from my security form?
Hey, I have a question about how secure the following will be.... I want to have a login form that posts to itself, so when it loads it checks if there is a username and password on the query list. If there is not, it asks for one. If there is, it checks to see if the information is valid. If it is not valid, it deletes the attributes and calls itself again. If it is valid it sets a particular session variable to be some value and redirects to the next page. Every page from there on in will check to see if the session variable is set and if not will redirect back to the login page. Are ...

How secure is ssh?
The problem: at work a group of *nix admins, myself included, are attempting to "buck the system." There is an auditing tool being rolled-out that logs into every *nix/linux box (tens of thousands of them) using a particular user name and authenticating with a passwordless (nothing in /etc/shadow or /etc/master.passwd, etc.) ssh connection -- the public ssh key for the username being put in /home/username/.ssh on every "client." The account is non-priveledged, ie., no root access -- just a regular user. We are attempting to explain that putting the same user account (with a publicly known user name) on tens of thousands of computers using only one openssh key as the authentication mechanism while a handful of servers have the private key for the account -- is a bad idea. However, while cognizant that the encryption schemes, blowfish, rsa, dsa, etc. make some difference between one another and are used at different stages in the handshake and tunnel creation, it would be helpful to be able to provide some "realistic" numbers on what it would take to crack just one openssh private key. A range, for example. If there is someone here who knows the math, about how many permutations would it take? If it's possible, an example on the order of: it would take 100 2.0-Gigahertz machines, between X and Y seconds/minutes/days (I really have no clue as to the complexity involved, so perhaps years would be more appropriate than seconds) to crack the...

net::ssh::Perl connecting to f-secure ssh server
Hi, I asked this on the wonderful Perlmonks site and am repeating here incase the one with the answer is here and not there.... We need to write a script that will connect to a softswitch (Ericsson), run commands retrieving output to files and sometimes using some of that output as parameters to more commands. The softswitch runs on Windows NT server and uses F-Secure 3.2.0. The client box will be Solaris with Perl 5.8.8. I can run ssh from the shell and connect OK. I can run the "commands" and see output on screen. I have started to write a demo in Perl and I can login f...

ssh to ssh
I have the following scenerio: Remote PC with Xmanager small linux gateway, with sshd and ssh but no X software local host with sshd and X software I am trying to do the following from the remote PC: ssh -X (gateway addr. x.x.x.x "ssh -X (local host add 192.168.25.40) xterm" and it is failing. Please help if possible. Looking at the verbose output I see: OpenSSH_3.8.1p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7c 30 Sep 2003 debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0 debug1: Connecting to x.x.x.x [x.x.x.x] port 80. debug1: Connection established. debug1: ident...

ssh security
Hi folks, question about ssh, (if anyone knows of a more suitable group please let me know) If you try to log into a remote machine that you're not allowed access to, you still get a display of a load of info e.g. OpenSSH_3.4p1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090607f debug1: Reading configuration data /usr/local/etc/ssh_config debug1: Rhosts Authentication disabled, originating port will not be trusted. debug1: ssh_connect: needpriv 0 debug1: Connecting to bounty [10.230.199.220] port 22. debug1: Connection established. debug1: identity file /home/rreynold/.ssh/identity type -1 debug1...

SSH over SSH
Hi all, Our university network is accessed through a gateway machine, which accepts SSH connections and from which I can SSH onto other machines. I'm looking to write a program to make it easy for Mac OS X users to set up tunnels. Part of this involves storing passwords in the keychain. If I just want to forward a local port to the gateway machine, I can set SSH_ASKPASS to something suitable which looks in the keychain. However, if I want to forward a local port to another machine on my university network, i.e., another hop, I need to somehow have an SSH_ASKPASS utility on the gateway machine contact my local machine for the password. It seems to me that this problem is usually tackled using x11-ssh-askpass with X11 forwarding, but as you can understand, this approach is not suitable for my needs. Would anybody like to share their wisdom? NB I want to avoid using authorized_keys in order to maintain high ease of use. Thanks, Hamish >>>>> "HA" == Hamish Allan <hamish@gmail.com> writes: HA> If I just want to forward a local port to the gateway machine, I HA> can set SSH_ASKPASS to something suitable which looks in the HA> keychain. However, if I want to forward a local port to another HA> machine on my university network, i.e., another hop, I need to HA> somehow have an SSH_ASKPASS utility on the gateway machine contact HA> my local machine for the password. I don't see why. What about t...

Secure FTP via SSH with Kermit95?
I"ve been unable to write a script (so far) to do secure ftp with ssh. I'm successfully using psftp to do the transfers, but I really miss the scripting in Kermit95. Can anyone provide an example script or excerpt that could help get me pointed in the right direction? Thanks! --------------= Posted using GrabIt =---------------- ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =--------- -= Get GrabIt for free from http://www.shemes.com/ =- On 2007-02-05, Kent_Bookworm <bookkent@gmail.nospam.com> wrote: : I"ve been unable to write a script (so far) to do ...

Security
I've been doing some investigation into a little problem with privileges. And this is what I have found. If you want to access an Informix database via ODBC and your normal login and password are restricted then set up your odbc connection with no user name and password and you can do anything. This is what I did to prove it. 1. I created a new database called security. 2. I added two tables - opentab and securetab 3. I revoked all permissions on securetab from public 4. I granted connect to public. 5. From MS-Access I set up a new database 6. I used "link-tables" to add a new odbc connection with no username or password, and to link both tables. 7. I could SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE from both tables. 8. I then deleted both tables from my access database. and used control panel to remove the odbc connection. 9. I then repeated steps 5-7 but with a valid username and password. 10. I couldn't access the securetab. So, using a username and password is secure but not using a username and password gives full access. Can anybody spot anything wrong in my reasoning? BTW I have done this on IDS 9.4, running on AIX 5.2, and I was running Windows XP with MS-Access 2002 SP3, and Informix-Client SDK version 2.81 regards Malcolm mweallans@panacea.co.uk wrote: > I've been doing some investigation into a little problem with > privileges. And this is what I have found. > > If you want to acces...

ssh ssh
I am trying to write a script that takes a list of hosts and sshs into the first one and then can ssh to other ones. I can only ssh to the other hosts from the first host. Here is what I tried: I think it is waiting for the ssh to the first host to finish. I guess I could scp a partial hostlist and a program to *.domain and then run the program remotely. Am I on a right track? #!/bin/perl use strict; open( HL, '<hostlist3.txt' ) || die "can't open hostlist3"; #!/bin/perl use strict; open( HL, '<hostlist3.txt' ) || die "can't open hostlist3&qu...

ssh security
I was in wonder when a pair key is generated by openssh, is there any other file that is being written which keeps some info about the keys being generated???. how to time stamp a key to expire it at certain date? ?? how do I know if a key is being time stamped? Thanks for any help >>>>> "Linda" == Linda @ NY <sexypunda@yahoo.com> writes: Linda> I was in wonder when a pair key is generated by openssh, is Linda> there any other file that is being written which keeps some Linda> info about the keys being generated???. No; just the two files containing the public and private keys. Linda> how to time stamp a key to expire it at certain date? ?? how do Linda> I know if a key is being time stamped? OpenSSH has no such facility. You could, however, put a date in the comment field at the end of the key line, for your own use. -- Richard Silverman res@qoxp.net Richard, Thank you very much for the reply. Linda "Richard E. Silverman" <res@qoxp.net> wrote in message news:m2slm2v2rz.fsf@darwin.oankali.net... >>>>>> "Linda" == Linda @ NY <sexypunda@yahoo.com> writes: > > Linda> I was in wonder when a pair key is generated by openssh, is > Linda> there any other file that is being written which keeps some > Linda> info about the keys being generated???. > > No; just the two files containing the public and private key...

Using ssh forwarding for ssh itself.
I'm trying to ssh into my (Linux) computer at work. Normally I ssh into the department's main (Unix) computer, then ssh into my own, but I thought I'd try out port forwarding. So in one xterm I do this: $ ssh -L 9999:my_computer:22 main_computer [main_computer prints login message then the following] channel 3: open failed: administratively prohibited: open failed channel 3: open failed: administratively prohibited: open failed In another xterm, I try this: $ netstat -tl [shows my computer is listening on 9999] $ ssh -p 9999 -v localhost debug1: Reading configuration data /home/adam/.ssh/config debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config debug1: Applying options for * debug1: Connecting to localhost [127.0.0.1] port 9999. debug1: Connection established. debug1: identity file /home/adam/.ssh/identity type -1 debug1: identity file /home/adam/.ssh/id_rsa type -1 debug1: identity file /home/adam/.ssh/id_dsa type -1 ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host Does the "administratively prohibited" message mean that main_computer is configured not to allow this? Or am I doing something wrong? If I can get this working, will I also be able to use scp directly from my home computer to my desktop (instead of copying to my account on main_computer first)? Thanks, Adam In comp.security.ssh Adam Funk <a24061@ducksburg.com> wrote: > I'm trying to ssh into my (Linux) computer at work. Normally I ssh > in...

How to use SSH to forward secure connection to insecure connection?
Hi all, I have written a TCP server program on Linux that listens to insecure connection from client and transfer bi-directional data insecurely. The client application is developed by the third party, now it has changed to establish secure connection to my server using SSH, but my server does not support. I wonder whether there is a simply way to accept it without changing my program, that is, running another agent program on the Linux that can accept SSH connection from the client and transfer data securely with the client, but can communicate with my server using ordinary socket connection. I try to use ssh command provided by OpenSSH, but it can only forward insecure connection to secure one, can not forward in the reverse way. Can anybody met with the same occasion before and can give me your solution ? Please note, as the client is developed and the machine is maintained by the third party, and has already support SSH, I can not ask them to install another ssh client for their OS ( they must remodify their program back to using insecure connection) . Any clue from you are appreciated. Thanks. Take a look at www.stunnel.org. -- jbeasley@sdf.lonestar.org SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.lonestar.org >>>>> "JB" == Joe Beasley <jbeasley@otaku.freeshell.org> writes: JB> Take a look at www.stunnel.org. -- jbeasley@sdf.lonestar.org SDF JB> Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.lonestar.org No; stunnel does...

Why is port forwarding more secure than opening up a port?
I have never understood this very well, here is my current grasp of it.. If I open up port 110 on my router: 1. If hacker is probing random IP addresses on that port, I will be flagged as open and he will come back and pay me a visit. 2. Any Trojans, viruses, or other malware that works its way into PCs via port 110 will eventually stumble across my open port and infect me. Alternatively, if I "forward" port 110 to say 192.168.0.5 (my pop3 server PC): 1. If hacker is probing random IP addresses on that port, will I will be flagged as closed? stealthed? worth a second visit?...

Web resources about - FTP port forwarding in SSH.. Secure?? - comp.security.ssh

Call forwarding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Call forwarding , or call diversion , is a telephony feature of some telephone switching systems which redirects a telephone call to another ...

Facebook Messenger For IOS Adds Groups, Message Forwarding
Facebook released version 4.0 of its Messenger application for iOS , and the major additions were the ability to create groups , and the ability ...

Choice urges IP spoofing for better IT prices - Parliament, House, prices, iTunes, guide, US forwarding ...
Consumers should spoof their IP address and use US forwarding addresses to beat high IT prices in Australia, consumer advocacy group Choice said. ...

Martin Taupau email mix-up highlights legal risks of forwarding misdirected message
An incredible email mix-up gave a Canadian theatre critic a cracking NRL scoop &ndash; and potentially a legal headache.

VPN Routing & Forwarding Instance_网络子站_IT专家网
VRF-VPN路由转发实例(VPN Routing & Forwarding Instance) VPN Routing & Forwarding Instance

Facebook Messenger updated to version 4.0 with groups and message forwarding
... 4.0 Groups: Now you can create groups for the people you message most. Name them, set group photos and keep them all in one place Forwarding: ...

Facebook Messenger For IOS Adds Groups, Message Forwarding - SocialTimes
Facebook released version 4.0 of its Messenger application for iOS , and the major additions were the ability to create groups , and the ability ...

Sprint StarStar Me offers vanity phone numbers and controlled call forwarding
Sprint has kicked off a new add-on service today called StarStar Me. For $2.99/month, subscribers can register a new number that's accessed by ...

Facebook Messenger 4.0 Features Easy Group Creation And Message Forwarding
... , its messaging-focused app, to version 4.0 on iOS. Facebook Messenger 4.0 introduces a couple of significant new features: groups and forwarding. ...