jakub.kotrla.net putty has trojans?

I had to rebuild my workstation over the weekend and went to snag a
current copy of jakub kotrla's putty build.

Firefox fought me tooth and nail to keep me from going there and
downloading the zip file (the putty page specifically, nothing else
on the website gets blocked).  Then Windows Defender tagged it as
having Win32/Maltule.A1cl and Win32/Skeeyah.A1rfn trojans.  And it
insists.  I then went and looked through my old downloads directory
and I'd already downloaded this version a few months back (it's
based on 0.67) and the zip file I already had also has the trojans...

Does anyone know anything about this?

--
joe
0

On 7/25/2016 4:47 PM, downtownhippie@gmail.com wrote:
> I had to rebuild my workstation over the weekend and went to snag a
> current copy of jakub kotrla's putty build.
>
> Firefox fought me tooth and nail to keep me from going there and
> downloading the zip file (the putty page specifically, nothing else
> on the website gets blocked).  Then Windows Defender tagged it as
> having Win32/Maltule.A1cl and Win32/Skeeyah.A1rfn trojans.  And it
> insists.  I then went and looked through my old downloads directory
> and I'd already downloaded this version a few months back (it's
> based on 0.67) and the zip file I already had also has the trojans...
>
> Does anyone know anything about this?

Why not get it directly from Simon's website at Chiark?

0
red
7/26/2016 5:13:53 PM
On Tuesday, July 26, 2016 at 12:13:54 PM UTC-5, red floyd wrote:
> Why not get it directly from Simon's website at Chiark?

Simon's still uses the registry for settings, jakub's version includes "portability".

I'm trying to discern if the alert from Windows Defender (and mozilla or
google for the site itself?) has something to do with jakub's version or if
it's just some false positive.

--
joe
0
On Monday, July 25, 2016 at 6:47:17 PM UTC-5, Joe Reid wrote:
> Does anyone know anything about this?

I received a email from Jakob the other day, he is uncertain why his binaries are suddenly triggering the alert but has taken the binaries off his server.  The source files compile just fine.

--
joe
on the web