localhost and remote desktop

Hello,

for information, since i have installed ssh tectia connector (eval
version), i'm able to connect to 127.0.0.1 with remote desktop (xp).
I suppose ssh tectia connector modify some dll of remote desktop.

Best regards,

LeTam

remote desktop security
Need to learn a little more about securing remote desktop. Using and SMC router with wep. Have a secret port accessed. Would prefer not to use my admin account when logging in, but if I leave the home computer on in a particular profile, I am not able to log into another one from a remote computer. That's confusing me. I guess I can leave on an admin account and then when I log in I may be able to log out and log into a non admin account. I'm wondering if any additional security is needed. I'm not an expert so I need plain english. Thank you. ...

Windows Remote Desktop over ssh
Hi, I am wondering if someone has experience with Windows Desktop RDP over ssh. I have a windows XP computer at home. Unfortunately this is behind a router, so with the exception of ssh it is inaccessible to the outside world. (I am running a cygwin sshd server on it.) I have a Linux PC outside where I work - and I sometimes need to connect to my home PC. I am wondering if I can ssh from my linux PC to my home PC and port forward - then use rdesktop to connect. What have I tried? I have read two articles about it at http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/Ssh/RemoteDesktopSSH.html and http://www.bluestream.org/Networking/SSHTunnelRDP.htm When locally logged on to my home computer I have started the cygwin bash shell and tried ssh -L 127.0.0.2:3390:127.0.0.1:3389 localhost Then I tried using remote desktop to connect to 127.0.0.2:3390 i.e. connecting from the windows machine to itself - and this worked. (Note: I have Win XP SP2 so I needed to install the patch at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5BLN%5D;884020 ) I now logged on to my linux machine i.e. on the other side of the router and tried ssh -L 127.0.0.2:3390:127.0.0.1:3389 Usrname@mycomputer.mydomain.com I then started rdesktop 127.0.0.2:3390 to get ERROR: connect: Connection refused (or rdesktop localhost:3390 with same failure) I also tried ssh -L 3390:localhost:3389 Usrname@mycomputer.mydomain.com and I still get the same failure. Lastly, I would like to note that windows remote ...

Remote Desktop Web Connection Security
So I've got a Linksys wireless router (BEFW11S4 v2) and an XP machine that has the following things setup: Internet Connection Firewall Enabled with Port 3200 and the same with port 3389. IIS Setup to run on Port 3200. Remote Assistance and Remote Desktop enabled and a user selected. Router has IPSec and PPTP Pass Through Enabled MTU is set to 1482 and Enabled DMZ Host is set to XP machine's IP address Ports 3200 and 3389 are set to use both TCP and UDP and are forwarded to the XP Machine's IP address In this way using these settings I've been able to connect t...

Windows XP remote desktop over SSH
OK I have an remote XP pro machine that I would like to be able to access the desktop on from home. If I set up cygwin with SSH on the machine how can I get my XP pro machine at home to connect to the remote one and show me the remote desktop. I want to do all this through SSH for obvious reasons. What ports do I need to open/forward at both the remote end and locally. TIA -- Chris Lewis Port 3389 http://www.starinfosec.com/gsec/ExerciseSupplemental-Cygwin-VNC.pdf The PDF is a little dated but still should cover things. Remember if you are not the admin of the server side of this equati...

Remote Desktop over SSH
Hi - I am using SSH to connect to remote desktop on an XP machine. The tunnel is working - I can connect and get the login screen, but as soon as I log in, it hangs and then comes back with a network error. Anyone seen this before? I connect from a work machine to a Redhat box using remote tunneling. Then connect from the home XP box to the redhat box which is forwarded over the SSH tunnel to the work machine's 3389 port. Thanks! JoeO ...

Secure Authentication for Remote Desktop Protocol
Hi. I'd like to configure secure authentication for Remote Desktop Protocol. Because I have a small number of known users, I decided to use the application SelfSSL to generate a certificate. After running SelfSSL, I got the following error: "Error opening metabase:0x800401454" I don't know what causes this error, but I suspect that it may be due to the fact that IIS is not installed. SelfSSL asks for a "site id", which I believe refers to the id of an IIS web site. What would be the id of Remote Desktop anyway? Can I not use SelfSSL for this purpose? Should I be...

Windows XP remote desktop over SSH
I have managed to get windows xp remote desktop working over ssh using cygwin. I have just one quick question. If i do ssh -L 3389:localhost:3389 myhost.dyndns.org i can connect the windows xp remote desktop client to local host and it all works fine. However to do this i have to open port 3389 on the server machine. Is there anyway to allow a local loopback so that the only port i have to open up to the outside world is 22 for ssh? i.e. i connect to port 22 on the server machine and that is forwarded locally to port 3389 to allow the remote desktop to function. TIA -- Chris On 04/23/04 12:19 Chris <Chris spoke: > I have managed to get windows xp remote desktop working over ssh using > cygwin. > > I have just one quick question. If i do ssh -L 3389:localhost:3389 > myhost.dyndns.org i can connect the windows xp remote desktop client to > local host and it all works fine. However to do this i have to open port > 3389 on the server machine. > > Is there anyway to allow a local loopback so that the only port i have to > open up to the outside world is 22 for ssh? I think I want the same thing. I want to be able to forward port 110 from a machine that only has port 22 open to the outside world. -- ------------------------------------------------------- Remove .NOSPAM from my email address to reply directly. > On 04/23/04 12:19 Chris <Chris spoke: >> I have managed to get windows xp remote desktop working ov...

How to copy the SSH key to the remote machine. SECURLY
Hi, In a two machine scenario I am going to use ssh to remotely execute scripts from the other machine. This will involve setting up public and private keys. This will be done during the installation process. My question is what is the best possible way of installing/ copying the public key on the remote machine. If I use scp with a password i will have to send the password accross the network. GB On 11 Jun, 11:16, fearban <Fear...@gmail.com> wrote: > My question is what is the best possible way of installing/ copying > the public key on the remote machine. cat .ssh/id_dsa.pub | ssh user@host 'cat >> .ssh/authorized_keys' HTH. On 11 Jun, 12:29, swmackie <swmac...@googlemail.com> wrote: > On 11 Jun, 11:16, fearban <Fear...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > My question is what is the best possible way of installing/ copying > > the public key on the remote machine. > > cat .ssh/id_dsa.pub | ssh user@host 'cat >> .ssh/authorized_keys' > > HTH. Ok .. But the installation script ... which will execute the above command ... will still need to have a copy of the password for the remote host. Thus the password would be in the script. GB On 11 Jun, 13:37, fearban <Fear...@gmail.com> wrote: > On 11 Jun, 12:29, swmackie <swmac...@googlemail.com> wrote: > > > On 11 Jun, 11:16, fearban <Fear...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > > My question is what is the best p...

Citrix, VPN, Remote Desktop and Wireless security
I'm going to be opening a doctor's office, with a computer system run off a server in the office. I'd like to be able to access the system remotely when I'm sitting at home, or even in a coffee shop through their wireless network. I have 2 questions: 1) How do I best set up the access itself? I have been advised that the Windows remote desktop is the most economical approach to be able to get into my system, but I'm concerned that it might be slow. I've been advised to try GoToMyPC as well, but this would probably be slower than I'd like. Currently,...

Symantec 200R Firewall port forwarding remote desktop security
Hi, I have set up the 200R to allow a virtual server for port 3389 so that I can connect to our remote server using terminal services to the public Internet IP address. It all works OK but I have disabled it because of security reasons. Two questions:- Is there any way to tie down this access to my own PC or network? Can I make the port appear in Stealth mode rather than Open? Regards, Vic Vic Russell wrote: > Hi, > I have set up the 200R to allow a virtual server for port 3389 so that I > can connect to our remote server using terminal services to the public > Internet ...

How to secure SSH from low security app server to high security DB server?
We need to be able to run commands from a low security application server (as this is running web servers and thus a large number of people have access to the web servers) to a high security database server. I would like to use SSH (maybe a locked down ssh server) to do this but the system administrators will not allow this as they say that if a bug is found with the SSH server then the secure database server could be compromised by the compromised SSH server. The sysadmins want us to come up with another way of running commands on the database server from the application server. I think that doing it another way is like reinventing the wheel, why use another method when SSH was probably designed to do this? Or, is there a better way of doing this? LOW SECURITY APPLICATION SERVER ----------FIREWALL------------- HIGH SECURITY DATABASE SERVER Snewber wrote: > We need to be able to run commands from a low security application > server (as this is running web servers and thus a large number of people > have access to the web servers) to a high security database server. I > would like to use SSH (maybe a locked down ssh server) to do this but > the system administrators will not allow this as they say that if a bug > is found with the SSH server then the secure database server could be > compromised by the compromised SSH server. The sysadmins want us to come > up with another way of running commands on the database server from the &...

using SSH Secure Shell for remote login on a linux machine
I am trying to remote connect to my linux machine via SSH Secure Shell running on Windows. Which port is the right one to use for remote access my linux machine via SSH? Thanks TR SSH runs on port TCP 22 by default. "Theo Richter" <klucznyk@gmx.de> wrote in message news:d0ueqd$34q$00$1@news.t-online.com... >I am trying to remote connect to my linux machine via SSH Secure Shell >running on Windows. Which port is the right one to use for remote access my >linux machine via SSH? > > Thanks > TR ...

Restricting SSH remote access (aka telnet) but only allow secure ftp
Hi, Can I restrict SSH to allow only secure FTP & restricting the rest like secure remote access (aka telnet). How do I go about restricting it ? Pls advise Thanks VS http://www.snailbook.com/faq/restricted-scp.auto.html -- Richard Silverman res@qoxp.net You can also look at the DenyUsers option for the sshd_config file. You can add the following to your sshd_config file: ## DenyUsers all DenyGroups all ## This will prevent anyone from loging on to the system but still allow sftp. BTG -- Boston Technology Group http://www.bostontechgroup.com > You can also look at the DenyUsers option for the sshd_config file. > You can add the following to your sshd_config file: > ## > DenyUsers all > DenyGroups all > ## > > This will prevent anyone from loging on to the system but still allow > sftp. No, it won't. First, these statements do not recognize "all" as a special token. This configuration would only forbid a user named "all" or in the group "all". This would most likely have no effect whatsover. What you want is "DenyUsers *". But you don't want that either. sftp runs over an SSH connection, and this will prevent any SSH connections from succeeding. -- Richard Silverman res@qoxp.net ...

ssh localhost login works but remote logins or actual IP login fails
ssh userx@localhost works fine ssh userx@192.168.123.xxx does not work from the local or a remote machine This seems like a configuration problem but I don't know what it is. http://www.snailbook.com/faq/general-debugging.auto.html In particular, merely saying "it does not work" is not helpful -- give details. -- Richard Silverman res@qoxp.net In article <a66ea411.0404132004.153f5326@posting.google.com>, johan antwerp <johanwantwerp@excite.com> wrote: >ssh userx@localhost works fine > >ssh userx@192.168.123.xxx does not work from the local or a remote machine > >This seems like a configuration problem but I don't know what it is. Wow! You've managed to completely avoid providing any information that would help in diagnosing your problem. Most people slip up and leave clues like actual error messages or hints about their OS but you've nailed it. That's sensational, congratulations! Go read http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html and then come back and tell us what SSH software and OSes you're using, and what the exact error message is. Oh, and tell us the names of the animals mentioned in that URL, to prove that you've read it. -- Darren Tucker (dtucker at zip.com.au) GPG key 8FF4FA69 / D9A3 86E9 7EEE AF4B B2D4 37C9 C982 80C7 8FF4 FA69 Good judgement comes with experience. Unfortunately, the experience usually comes from bad judgement. In article <c5igem$pg1$1@gate.dodg...

Norton Internet Security 2003 & remote desktop connection with Win XP
Hello, I have windows XP Pro on my computer with the home edition of NIS 2003. I tried already everything to connect with my PC from remote position but if my NIS firewall is on it want work. I tried to change the rule already but with no success. If I put my firewall off it works immediately so the problem is definitely there. Does anyone know what to change in my settings? Thank you very much for replying, Dino Dino, Most of the people who know how to do this aren't going to tell you. Why? In the first place, they're unlikely to do it themselves, because they would just be p...

ssh tunnel // "telnet localhost tunnel_port" works, from remote host "telnet hostname tunnel_port" fails

ssh tunnel // "telnet localhost tunnel_port" works, from remote host "telnet hostname tunnel_port" fails #2

ssh runs remote commands as what remote user??
Anomalous (??) behavior of: ssh student20@192.168.3.12 "(echo `whoami`; sleep 20 ; echo `whoami`)" As expected, "sleep 20" runs as the remote machine user's student20 (per "ps" executed at the remote machine during the 20-second interval) Unexpectedly however, when the whoami commands run on the remote machine, the user name they return is that of the user at the local machine who initiated the ssh command. (A user who by name doesn't even exist on the remote.) I expected whoami to return "student20" What am I missing? taihaiteki@dslextreme.com wrote in news:trk9p1h68figd49ljkjdqp1chhfoq00flp@4ax.com: > ssh student20@192.168.3.12 "(echo `whoami`; sleep 20 ; echo `whoami`)" > > Unexpectedly however, when the whoami commands run on the remote > machine, the user name they return is that of the user at the local > machine who initiated the ssh command. (A user who by name doesn't > even exist on the remote.) The whoami commands don't run on the remote machine -- your (local) shell sees the backquote chars and runs whoami, substituting the result. If you want whoami to run on the rmove machine, you need to escape the backquote chars, or put the command sin single quotes instead of double quotes, which has the same effect. Altrnately, just do: ssh student20@192.168.3.12 "(whoami; sleep 20 ; whoami)" Chris Dodd cdod@acm.org <taihaiteki@dslextreme.com> wrote: >s...

Remote SSH problem
Hi everyone, I have been reading every post that I could find about this particular error message: ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host I'm working with an external client who wants to grab some files from us via SFTP. I set up a Solaris 9 server with "ChrootSSH" from here: http://chrootssh.sourceforge.net/index.php I compiled it locally with the following options: ../configure --with-pam --disable-suid-ssh --without-rsh --with- lastlog=/var/adm/lastlog --sysconfdir=/usr/local/etc/openssh --prefix=/ usr/local --without-privsep-user--without-privsep-path --without-prngd --without-rand-helper --with-tcp-wrappers=/usr/sfw OpenSSH has been configured with the following options: User binaries: /usr/local/bin System binaries: /usr/local/sbin Configuration files: /usr/local/etc/openssh Askpass program: /usr/local/libexec/ssh-askpass Manual pages: /usr/local/share/man/manX PID file: /var/run Privilege separation chroot path: /var/empty sshd default user PATH: /usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/ local/bin (If PATH is set in /etc/default/login it will be used instead. If used, ensure the path to scp is present, otherwise scp will not work.) Manpage format: man PAM support: yes OSF SIA support: no KerberosV support: no ...

Remote Desktop (XDMCP) works on LAN, but not remote location.
Following the suggestions of others on my previous thread "Can't log into remote desktop XDMCP" http://groups.google.com/group/comp.unix.solaris/browse_thread/thread/796f16d1fc0f3c65 I now have this working on my LAN. i.e I can now access more than one machine from the Solaris login page by selecting a remote system. But 'remote' in this context is only working for machines on the same subnet - not from anywhere else. I've set up the modem/router/firewall to route UDP port 177 and TCP Port 6000 to this machine from the outside. (IP filter runs on the workst...

copy from remote location to another remote location through localhost
Hello! There are 3 computers: A, B and C. To ssh (scp) from A to C (and from C to A) one has to go through B. I want to copy a file from A to C in one step. So I need something like: scp --go-through-local-host userA@A:file.txt userB@B: Is there such tool on the market? TIA -- jimmij On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 16:19:29 +0100, jimmij wrote: > Hello! > > There are 3 computers: A, B and C. To ssh (scp) from A to C (and from C > to A) one has to go through B. I want to copy a file from A to C in one > step. So I need something like: > scp --go-through-local-host userA@A:file.txt us...

How secure is the security from my security form?
Hey, I have a question about how secure the following will be.... I want to have a login form that posts to itself, so when it loads it checks if there is a username and password on the query list. If there is not, it asks for one. If there is, it checks to see if the information is valid. If it is not valid, it deletes the attributes and calls itself again. If it is valid it sets a particular session variable to be some value and redirects to the next page. Every page from there on in will check to see if the session variable is set and if not will redirect back to the lo...

how secure is the security from my security form?
Hey, I have a question about how secure the following will be.... I want to have a login form that posts to itself, so when it loads it checks if there is a username and password on the query list. If there is not, it asks for one. If there is, it checks to see if the information is valid. If it is not valid, it deletes the attributes and calls itself again. If it is valid it sets a particular session variable to be some value and redirects to the next page. Every page from there on in will check to see if the session variable is set and if not will redirect back to the login page. Are ...

How secure is the security from my security form?
Hey, I have a question about how secure the following will be.... I want to have a login form that posts to itself, so when it loads it checks if there is a username and password on the query list. If there is not, it asks for one. If there is, it checks to see if the information is valid. If it is not valid, it deletes the attributes and calls itself again. If it is valid it sets a particular session variable to be some value and redirects to the next page. Every page from there on in will check to see if the session variable is set and if not will redirect back to the lo...

Web resources about - localhost and remote desktop - comp.security.ssh

localhost - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In computer networking , localhost (meaning this computer ) is the standard hostname given to the address of the loopback network interface. ...

Google Mobile Apps links cannot connect in Safari always showing "localhost" in address - Google Product ...
... it goes to Safari and tries to connect with the error "Safari cannot open the page because it could not connect to the server". http://localhost/ ...

[INFO] 2015-08-31 02:47:37.186 IN id=pushpin-m2-7999_1, GET http://localhost/sys - Pastebin.com
PASTEBIN - #1 paste tool since 2002 create new paste shop new! tools api archive faq PASTEBIN create new paste trending pastes sign up login ...

Universal Studios finds pirated Jurassic World on own localhost
There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Universal Pictures France appears to have tracked down one source of pirated copies of dino-flick Jurassic World: ...

Universal Pictures Wants To Remove Localhost and IMDB Pages From Google Results
Artem Tashkinov writes: We've all known for a very long time that DCMA takedown requests are often dubious and even more often outright wrong ...

Microsoft Research Paper Considers Serving Web-ads From Localhost
An anonymous reader writes: A paper from Microsoft researchers posits the possibility of 'pushing' web ads to a user's own computer and serving ...

Windows 10 build 10166: Edge browser gets bug fixes and localhost loopback enabled
Earlier today, Microsoft rolled out yet another Windows 10 build for those of you on the Fast Ring. Build 10166 comes with a "wave" of bug fixes ...

Universal Pictures asks Google to delist itself in localhost 127.0.0.1 online piracy bungle
Universal Pictures tried to protect Jurassic World from being pirated but instead showed its ignorance.

Platform Updates: Operation Developer Love
... Contact Us Link Specific event name fails Facebook Invite hangs for an user with about 4000 friends Developer App will not allow "localhost" ...

HOME
Contour Aerospace Ltd