Not signing in

I hope that someone can direct me to a solution. When I tried to login to p=
utty, it came up showing "Fatal Error - connection time out". I tried and t=
ried to login and do password, but when putty screen comes up, it is blank =
and it doesn't ask for login or password.

It has been a long time since I used putty so I thought maybe that had some=
thing to do with it.  I deleted the old one and downloaded a new one. Still=
 the same message every time.

I am at a loss and have not found answers as of yet. I appreciate any assis=
tance you could give me.

Thanks
0
Jane

On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 08:18:25 -0800, Jane Bohannon wrote:

> I hope that someone can direct me to a solution. When I tried to login
> to putty, it came up showing "Fatal Error - connection time out". I
> tried and tried to login and do password, but when putty screen comes
> up, it is blank and it doesn't ask for login or password.
>
> It has been a long time since I used putty so I thought maybe that had
> something to do with it.  I deleted the old one and downloaded a new
> one. Still the same message every time.
>
> I am at a loss and have not found answers as of yet. I appreciate any
> assistance you could give me.

	You'll have to be significantly more specific - your message
provides little that would not be in a laconic "Please, help!" message.
What about getting some traces on both client and server? What about
sharing the server's make and version, and the client's version?

0
Jens
2/17/2016 5:49:15 PM
On Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 12:49:16 PM UTC-5, Jens Stuckelberger wr=
ote:
> On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 08:18:25 -0800, Jane Bohannon wrote:
>=20
> > I hope that someone can direct me to a solution. When I tried to login
> > to putty, it came up showing "Fatal Error - connection time out". I
> > tried and tried to login and do password, but when putty screen comes
> > up, it is blank and it doesn't ask for login or password.
> >=20
> > It has been a long time since I used putty so I thought maybe that had
> > something to do with it.  I deleted the old one and downloaded a new
> > one. Still the same message every time.
> >=20
> > I am at a loss and have not found answers as of yet. I appreciate any
> > assistance you could give me.
>=20
> 	You'll have to be significantly more specific - your message=20
> provides little that would not be in a laconic "Please, help!" message.=
=20
> What about getting some traces on both client and server? What about=20
> sharing the server's make and version, and the client's version?

Dear Jens,

Please forgive. I am still a newbie at all of this. This is for my own use =
and it is a dedicated server that has the Enterprise Linux - CentOS 6 w/CPa=
nel.  I don't know how to retrieve the "traces" you mentioned.  The version=
 of PuTTy I downloaded the most recent release (0.66) earlier today.=20

I am truly sorry that I don't know what information to give ahead of time. =
 Thank you so much for your response.
0
Jane
2/17/2016 6:18:03 PM
On 2016-02-17, Jane Bohannon <footprintstoheaven@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 17, 2016 at 12:49:16 PM UTC-5, Jens Stuckelberger wrote:
>> On Wed, 17 Feb 2016 08:18:25 -0800, Jane Bohannon wrote:
>>
>> > I hope that someone can direct me to a solution. When I tried to login
>> > to putty, it came up showing "Fatal Error - connection time out". I
>> > tried and tried to login and do password, but when putty screen comes
>> > up, it is blank and it doesn't ask for login or password.
>> >
>> > It has been a long time since I used putty so I thought maybe that had
>> > something to do with it.  I deleted the old one and downloaded a new
>> > one. Still the same message every time.
>> >
>> > I am at a loss and have not found answers as of yet. I appreciate any
>> > assistance you could give me.
>>
>> 	You'll have to be significantly more specific - your message
>> provides little that would not be in a laconic "Please, help!" message.
>> What about getting some traces on both client and server? What about
>> sharing the server's make and version, and the client's version?
>
> Dear Jens,
>
> Please forgive. I am still a newbie at all of this. This is for my own use and it is a dedicated server that has the Enterprise Linux - CentOS 6 w/CPanel.  I don't know how to retrieve the "traces" you mentioned.  The version of PuTTy I downloaded the most recent release (0.66) earlier today.
>
> I am truly sorry that I don't know what information to give ahead of time.  Thank you so much for your response.

You need to tell us what exactly you see. Putty comes up with its
initial screen. You choose ssh as the protocol you want to use. You type
in the location you want to connect to (are you sure that is the right
address?) and the name of the user you want to log in as (are you sure
it is a valid user on the remote system? Then what happens.

On the Centos, look in the logs (/var/log/messages /var/log/auth.log are
two possibilities) and look toward the end of the files (assuming you
look at them right after you have tried to connect to them.) Look for
things with "ssh" in the line.
Has the Centos seen the attempt? What username does it think you are
trying to use? Remember that Linux is case sensitive. Is that a user on
that system?

etc.

0
William
2/17/2016 7:43:28 PM
Jane Bohannon <footprintstoheaven@gmail.com> writes:
> I hope that someone can direct me to a solution. When I tried to login
> to putty, it came up showing "Fatal Error - connection time out". I
> tried and tried to login and do password, but when putty screen comes
> up, it is blank and it doesn't ask for login or password.

It sounds like the thing you are trying to connect to is either down or
has lost network connectivity.

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
0
Jane Bohannon <footprintstoheaven@gmail.com> writes:
>I hope that someone can direct me to a solution. When I tried to login
>to putty, it came up showing "Fatal Error - connection time out". I
>tried and tried to login and do password, but when putty screen comes
>up, it is blank and it doesn't ask for login or password.

This error means that the network connection PuTTY tried to make to your
server received no response at all from the server. Usually this happens
because the server machine is completely isolated from the network, or
because it is turned off. PuTTY couldn't get as far as talking to the
server about a username or password.

Check that you have the correct hostname and port number? (If you had
previously saved them as a saved session, probably you have they right.)
Try contacting whoever runs your server to see if the connection details
have changed?

It might possibly also mean that there's a firewall between you and your
server.
0
jacobn

How to secure SSH from low security app server to high security DB server?
We need to be able to run commands from a low security application server (as this is running web servers and thus a large number of people have access to the web servers) to a high security database server. I would like to use SSH (maybe a locked down ssh server) to do this but the system administrators will not allow this as they say that if a bug is found with the SSH server then the secure database server could be compromised by the compromised SSH server. The sysadmins want us to come up with another way of running commands on the database server from the application server. I th...

How secure is the security from my security form?
Hey, I have a question about how secure the following will be.... I want to have a login form that posts to itself, so when it loads it checks if there is a username and password on the query list. If there is not, it asks for one. If there is, it checks to see if the information is valid. If it is not valid, it deletes the attributes and calls itself again. If it is valid it sets a particular session variable to be some value and redirects to the next page. Every page from there on in will check to see if the session variable is set and if not will redirect back to the login page. Are ...

[...]

security signing
Just for information. A customer running win2k tried to install a new sound card and failed because the driver was not signed by Microsoft. This happened because the new updates from www.windowsupdate.com include a patch for driver signing which sets the default as Block - prevent installation of unsigned files. Taff............. www.sounds-pa.com | www.thecomputerworkshop.com ...

SSH over SSH
Hi all, Our university network is accessed through a gateway machine, which accepts SSH connections and from which I can SSH onto other machines. I'm looking to write a program to make it easy for Mac OS X users to set up tunnels. Part of this involves storing passwords in the keychain. If I just want to forward a local port to the gateway machine, I can set SSH_ASKPASS to something suitable which looks in the keychain. However, if I want to forward a local port to another machine on my university network, i.e., another hop, I need to somehow have an SSH_ASKPASS utility on the gateway m...

ssh security
I was in wonder when a pair key is generated by openssh, is there any other file that is being written which keeps some info about the keys being generated???. how to time stamp a key to expire it at certain date? ?? how do I know if a key is being time stamped? Thanks for any help >>>>> "Linda" == Linda @ NY <sexypunda@yahoo.com> writes: Linda> I was in wonder when a pair key is generated by openssh, is Linda> there any other file that is being written which keeps some Linda> info about the keys being generated???. No; just the two ...

Security
I've been doing some investigation into a little problem with privileges. And this is what I have found. If you want to access an Informix database via ODBC and your normal login and password are restricted then set up your odbc connection with no user name and password and you can do anything. This is what I did to prove it. 1. I created a new database called security. 2. I added two tables - opentab and securetab 3. I revoked all permissions on securetab from public 4. I granted connect to public. 5. From MS-Access I set up a new database 6. I used "link-tables...

ssh security
Hi folks, question about ssh, (if anyone knows of a more suitable group please let me know) If you try to log into a remote machine that you're not allowed access to, you still get a display of a load of info e.g. OpenSSH_3.4p1, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0x0090607f debug1: Reading configuration data /usr/local/etc/ssh_config debug1: Rhosts Authentication disabled, originating port will not be trusted. debug1: ssh_connect: needpriv 0 debug1: Connecting to bounty [10.230.199.220] port 22. debug1: Connection established. debug1: identity file /home/rreynold/.ssh/identity type -1 debug1...

ssh to ssh
I have the following scenerio: Remote PC with Xmanager small linux gateway, with sshd and ssh but no X software local host with sshd and X software I am trying to do the following from the remote PC: ssh -X (gateway addr. x.x.x.x "ssh -X (local host add 192.168.25.40) xterm" and it is failing. Please help if possible. Looking at the verbose output I see: OpenSSH_3.8.1p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7c 30 Sep 2003 debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0 debug1: Connecting to x.x.x.x [x.x.x.x] port 80. debug1: Connection established. debug1: ident...

How secure is ssh?
The problem: at work a group of *nix admins, myself included, are attempting to "buck the system." There is an auditing tool being rolled-out that logs into every *nix/linux box (tens of thousands of them) using a particular user name and authenticating with a passwordless (nothing in /etc/shadow or /etc/master.passwd, etc.) ssh connection -- the public ssh key for the username being put in /home/username/.ssh on every "client." The account is non-priveledged, ie., no root access -- just a regular user. We are attempting to explain that putting the same user account (wi...

net::ssh::Perl connecting to f-secure ssh server
Hi, I asked this on the wonderful Perlmonks site and am repeating here incase the one with the answer is here and not there.... We need to write a script that will connect to a softswitch (Ericsson), run commands retrieving output to files and sometimes using some of that output as parameters to more commands. The softswitch runs on Windows NT server and uses F-Secure 3.2.0. The client box will be Solaris with Perl 5.8.8. I can run ssh from the shell and connect OK. I can run the "commands" and see output on screen. I have started to write a demo in Perl and I can login f...

ssh ssh
I am trying to write a script that takes a list of hosts and sshs into the first one and then can ssh to other ones. I can only ssh to the other hosts from the first host. Here is what I tried: I think it is waiting for the ssh to the first host to finish. I guess I could scp a partial hostlist and a program to *.domain and then run the program remotely. Am I on a right track? #!/bin/perl use strict; open( HL, '<hostlist3.txt' ) || die "can't open hostlist3"; #!/bin/perl use strict; open( HL, '<hostlist3.txt' ) || die "can't open hostlist3&qu...

FTPand SSH security
Hi All and many thanks for the help with FailSafe-IP. Is it possible to change/disable the identifier shown when making an FTP connection to VMS? SYS$WELCOME and SYS$ANNOUNCE can be changed, but is there such a thing so that VMS won't display what it is when making an FTP connection? Cheers Bob Koehler wrote: > In article <KrydnQR6OKHevq_VnZ2dnUVZ_qninZ2d@posted.internode>, Gremlin <not.here@all.com> writes: >> Hi All and many thanks for the help with FailSafe-IP. >> >> Is it possible to change/disable the identifier shown when making an FTP >&g...

Securing services with ssh?

I do not get ssh. Why is it more secure?
Hi All, With this command: ssh -l todd -X 192.168.255.14 /usr/bin/VirtualBox I can run VirtualBox console on another computer with X11. All I get is asked for my password. I don't get it. How is this any more secure that plain old telnet? Both are just a user name and password. You could hack it the same old way other services are hacked by running the dictionary at them. I do believe OPH Crack over on the Windows side calls this "Rainbow tables". I ask this because I will be needing to open SSH (port 22) for a vendor to get in on. And, well, I jus...

ssh a security threat?
I'm trying to convince the network guy at the company I work for to open a hole in the firewall for ssh connections going out, i.e., from our side to external sites (but not connections coming the other way). He said that would be dangerours, because when you connect to an external site, you allow that site to, and I quote him, "do things" in your machine, by "tunneling back" through the connection you opened. I know that just by connecting somewhere you do not open doors in your own box (or web browsing would be a rather risky proposition), but I didn't know how ...

VNC Security And SSH
I've been using OSXVNC on my two G4 iMacs at home, and TightVNC Viewer on my office Windows machines for two years. The two Windows machines are in my two offices at my two companies (that I own). Nobody else has access to these two Windows machines. I access both Macs from both Windows machines. This has really simplified and streamlined my work, thus freeing up valuable time for me in the evening since I now take a lot less work home. I've read various articles about VNC security. Some authors claim that my simple setup is secure enough, while others claim that they would...

SSH
Having got SSH working on my Solaris 2.8 Ultra (Thanks list) I now have a question regarding making the port a bit more secure. Almost as soon as 22 was opened on the firewall I saw an attempt to get in from North Korea :-( What I have done so far is to: Move the port from 22 to above 1024. Turn off allowing root. Turn off password checking so you have to have a known rsa key. Is this enough or can I improve on this? TIA -- Regards Dave Saville NB Remove no-spam- for good email address "Dave Saville" <dave@no-spam-deezee.org> writes: >Having got SSH working on my...

ssh security question
I just regenerated the keys on one of my F14 systems. I am still able to access systems which don't have the new public key in their authorized_keys file. The one thing I did differently this time was that I did an ssh-add after I regenerated the keys. I did the ssh-add because putting the new public key into the authorized_keys files of my other systems wasn't sufficient to give me access. After the ssh-add I could access the other systems, however I could also access systems that don't have the new authorized_keys file. Does ssh-add keep the old keys in the authentication...

ssh and secure ftp
We have an associate who wants to transfer files with secure ftp. I have AIX 4.3.3, what do I need, just a client, or do I need to install SSH, and then a client? Can anyone point me in the right direction for freeware versions of what I need? "Dale DeRemer" <dderemer_nospam@agmc.org> wrote in message news:ceb4hp$57$1@malgudi.oar.net... > We have an associate who wants to transfer files with secure ftp. I have AIX > 4.3.3, what do I need, just a client, or do I need to install SSH, and then > a client? Can anyone point me in the right direction for freeware version...

Securing Ssh and problems
Hi Everybody, I'm trying to configure Ssh Privileged User for SunSSH on Solaris 10u8. I created sshd user: /etc/passwd: sshd:x:74:74:Privilege-separated SSH:/var/empty:/sbin/ nologin /etc/group: sshd::74: Added lines to /etc/ssh/sshd_config UseLogin yes UsePrivilegeSeparation yes and restarted ssh: svcadm disable svc:/network/ssh:default svcadm enable svc:/network/ssh:default And I cannot login :) my /var/adm/messages has these lines: fatal: Userauth method unknown while starting PAM Any ideas what I should change/add/fix ? On Jul 19, 6:18=A0pm, Orkan &...

SSH Security Compliance
Hi all, Please advise where I can get information about SSH security compliance; Orange book equivalent. Colin R. ...

SSH security questions
My server is getting periodic multiple SSH login attempts. I have a long password with a symbol in the middle, so nobody has succeeded, but still would like to improve. So, a couple of quick questions: 1. Is it possible to restrict access only to IP addresses in the United States? These crack attempts all seem to be coming from the far east. I access it from multiple locations, but never from China, Russia, etc. 2. Is it possible to completely block an IP address after several failed attempts? On 2005-05-08, Nick Kasoff <kasoff@juno.com> wrote: > 1.Is it possible to re...

Web resources about - Not signing in - comp.security.ssh

Signing of the United States Declaration of Independence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Fifty-six delegates to the Second Continental Congress in Philadelphia signed the United States Declaration of Independence , a statement announcing ...

Facebook Weekly Highlights Brings You Hurricane Sandy One Year Later, Sheryl Crow Signing Guitars
... of Hurricane Sandy with a photo of the boardwalk in Seaside Heights, N.J. ; as well as the photo above of musician Sheryl Crow signing Gibson ...

MLB Daily Dish - MLB Trade Rumors and Signings
MLB Daily Dish: the best and most reliable clearinghouse for MLB Trade Rumors from credible sources, covering every signing, transaction, and ...

TSS Signing Status (@TSSstatus) on Twitter
Log in Sign up You are on Twitter Mobile because you are using an old version of Internet Explorer. Learn more here TSS Signing Status @ TSSstatus ...

Scanbot · Document Scanner & QR Reader with Cloud Drive Upload and Sync, OCR, PDF Editing, Signing, Receipt ...
Get Scanbot · Document Scanner & QR Reader with Cloud Drive Upload and Sync, OCR, PDF Editing, Signing, Receipt, Whiteboard, Invoice and Pro ...

Flickr: Signings at Forbidden Planet's Photostream
Forbidden Planet London is the largest cult Megastore in the world and the home of the best in television and movie memorabilia - including art ...

John Malkovich - Signing Autographs at David Letterman - YouTube
http://www.toppixautographs.com John Malkovich signed autographs after his appearance on "The Late Show with David Letterman" in New York City. ...

Eric Gerets delighted with signing of Basher Saeed to shore up Al Jazira defence - The National
Eric Gerets, the Al Jazira coach, thinks he has found the missing link of the team by signing veteran centre-back Basheer Saeed from champions ...

Joseph Tapine tipped to leave Newcastle immediately after signing with Raiders
Newcastle is poised to grant Joseph Tapine an immediate release after the back-rower signed with Canberra.