PSCP error: 'ssh_init: Network error: Cannot assign requested address'

Hello All,

I am using PSCP to transfer a file from a Linux server to a local directory=
 on my Windows 7 machine.  When I attempt to transfer the file using PSCP f=
rom the Windows command line, I immediately receive the error: 'ssh_init: N=
etwork error: Cannot assign requested address'.  Putty works fine, WinSCP a=
lso works fine. =20

PSCP was working fine up to a few days ago, then suddenly stopped working. =
 I have verified that I can perform a file transfer with a different Window=
s box using PSCP, so it definitely seems to be something about the PC itsel=
f that has changed.  Could this be a configuration issue?  How about someth=
ing with my NIC card?   =20

Any thoughts are much appreciated!

Thanks,

M. Miller
0
Matt

Matt Miller <matthew.almar.miller@gmail.com> writes:
>I am using PSCP to transfer a file from a Linux server to a local
>directory on my Windows 7 machine.  When I attempt to transfer the file
>using PSCP from the Windows command line, I immediately receive the
>error: 'ssh_init: Network error: Cannot assign requested address'.
>Putty works fine, WinSCP also works fine.

A favourite way to provoke this message is to try to connect to port 0.

Guess: is it possible that you've accidentally saved port 0 to PuTTY's
Default Settings? The different PuTTY tools have different implicit
session loading behaviour, which might explain why PuTTY works but PSCP
doesn't.
0
Jacob
11/11/2015 10:16:53 AM
On Wednesday, November 11, 2015 at 4:16:56 AM UTC-6, Jacob Nevins wrote:
> Matt Miller <matthew.almar.miller@gmail.com> writes:
> >I am using PSCP to transfer a file from a Linux server to a local
> >directory on my Windows 7 machine.  When I attempt to transfer the file
> >using PSCP from the Windows command line, I immediately receive the
> >error: 'ssh_init: Network error: Cannot assign requested address'.=20
> >Putty works fine, WinSCP also works fine. =20
>=20
> A favourite way to provoke this message is to try to connect to port 0.
>=20
> Guess: is it possible that you've accidentally saved port 0 to PuTTY's
> Default Settings? The different PuTTY tools have different implicit
> session loading behaviour, which might explain why PuTTY works but PSCP
> doesn't.

Thank you so much - you just saved me a ton of work!!  That was it...I have=
 several saved sessions which are correctly configured for port 22 (these a=
re the sessions I regularly use with Putty), but somehow the default settin=
g for the port got set to blank (zero).  Once I changed it back to 22 I was=
 able to PSCP and transfer files normally.  What a stupid mistake on my par=
t.  I was prepared to go scorched-earth and replace the entire pc since thi=
s is a production-down situation for me.=20

Thanks again!
-Matt
0
Matt