sftp on OpenSSH

Hi,
  I have an existing server running OpenSSH 3.4p1.  I use SSH.com's
non-commercial ssh client version 3.1.0 to scp files to it regularly.  I
built a new server so I can upgrade to a newer OpenSSH and installed
version 3.6.1p1.  Now when I try to scp to it, I get an error showing
the usage of sftp:

scp test server:/home/dklinedi/
warning: Remote server talks SSH-1.5 protocol.
dklinedi@server's password:
usage: sftp [-vC1] [-b batchfile] [-o option] [-s subsystem|path] [-B
buffer_size]
            [-F config] [-P direct server path] [-S program]
            [user@]host[:file [file]]

When I truss the OpenSSH sshd process (this is on Solaris 8), I see that
the new version is calling /usr/local/bin/sftp at the point where the
old one called /usr/local/libexec/sftp-server.  I have sftp defined as a
Subsystem in the sshd_config of both systems and it points to
/usr/local/libexec/sftp-server on both.

Anyone know why sshd is trying to run sftp in the new version and/or how
to make it stop??

TIA,
Dan

    DK> When I truss the OpenSSH sshd process (this is on Solaris 8), I
    DK> see that the new version is calling /usr/local/bin/sftp at the
    DK> point where the old one called /usr/local/libexec/sftp-server.  I
    DK> have sftp defined as a Subsystem in the sshd_config of both
    DK> systems and it points to /usr/local/libexec/sftp-server on both.

The setting on the client is irrelevant.

    DK> Anyone know why sshd is trying to run sftp in the new version
    DK> and/or how to make it stop??

Perhaps you're looking at the wrong sshd_config file -- sometimes people
compile OpenSSH with the default prefix of /usr/local, placing the config
files in /usr/local/etc instead of /etc where they expect them to be.

--
  Richard Silverman
  res@qoxp.net

0
res49 (1410)
6/30/2003 10:03:03 PM
Sorry, maybe I should clarify.  Both servers have the Subsystem sftp
defined in sshd_config as /usr/local/libexec/sftp-server.  However, the
one running 3.6.1p1 calls /usr/local/bin/sftp instead.  I am ignoring
any setting on the client.

Also, I am looking at /usr/local/etc/sshd_config.  I know this is the
correct file as other changes I've made there have been effective.

Thanks for the response.

Dan