What does "X11UseLocalhost no" do?

I found that I can't ssh (with X11 port forwarding) from my home
FC4/linux box to a bsd machine, run xclients on the bsd machine, and
have them X display back to my home machine without specifying the
"X11UseLocalhost no" option in the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file.

I don't understand what the manpage says about this option. Can
someone please explain?
--
%  Randy Yates                  % "Bird, on the wing,
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %   goes floating by

Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org> writes:

> I found that I can't ssh (with X11 port forwarding) from my home
> FC4/linux box to a bsd machine, run xclients on the bsd machine, and
> have them X display back to my home machine without specifying the
> "X11UseLocalhost no" option in the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file.

That is, the sshd_config file on the bsd machine.
--
%  Randy Yates                  % "And all that I can do
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %  is say I'm sorry,
http://home.earthlink.net/~yatescr
0
yates (3949)
2/4/2007 8:17:51 PM

    RY> I found that I can't ssh (with X11 port forwarding) from my home
    RY> FC4/linux box to a bsd machine, run xclients on the bsd machine,
    RY> and have them X display back to my home machine without specifying
    RY> the "X11UseLocalhost no" option in the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file.

    RY> I don't understand what the manpage says about this option. Can
    RY> someone please explain?

When doing X forwarding, sshd listens on a TCP socket for connections from
X clients.  Normally, it will accept connections addressed to the loopback
address only (127.0.0.1), restricting it to clients on the local host.
X11UseLocalhost no means it will accept connections from anywhere.

--
  Richard Silverman
  res@qoxp.net

0
res49 (1410)
2/5/2007 2:33:32 PM
"Richard E. Silverman" <res@qoxp.net> writes:

>     RY> I found that I can't ssh (with X11 port forwarding) from my home
>     RY> FC4/linux box to a bsd machine, run xclients on the bsd machine,
>     RY> and have them X display back to my home machine without specifying
>     RY> the "X11UseLocalhost no" option in the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file.
>
>     RY> I don't understand what the manpage says about this option. Can
>     RY> someone please explain?
>
> When doing X forwarding, sshd listens on a TCP socket for connections from
> X clients.  Normally, it will accept connections addressed to the loopback
> address only (127.0.0.1), restricting it to clients on the local host.
> X11UseLocalhost no means it will accept connections from anywhere.

Thank you for this explanation, Richard. However, I'm afraid I still
don't quite understand.

Since I am constantly getting confused over who's the "source" and
who's the "destination" allow me to establish the following convention.
If an "entity" resides on a source I'll use the suffice ".src" and
likewise ".dst" for the destination.

So in this scenario I'm running the ssh.src client on host.src and
connecting to the sshd.dst server running on host.dst, and I had
established the option "X11UseLocalhost no" in the sshd_config.dst
file. I am then attempting to run X11 clients on host.dst.

In that scenario I *was* running xclients on the local host, i.e., on
host.dst. The DISPLAY.dst variable was set to localhost:10.0 and
127.0.0.1:10.0 and in both cases X client connections were refused
when the X11UseLocalhost yes option was set in sshd_config.dst.

However, host.dst is the host at my ISP where he runs "virtual
machines" under bsd. Could it be that this virtual machine is
causing the problem?
--
%  Randy Yates                  % "Remember the good old 1980's, when
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %  things were so uncomplicated?"
http://home.earthlink.net/~yatescr
0
yates (3949)
2/5/2007 4:16:35 PM
Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org> writes:

>Thank you for this explanation, Richard. However, I'm afraid I still
>don't quite understand.

Let me try to explain differently.

I am currently logged into my work machine from home, and I am doing
X-forwarding.

In the shell on my work machine:

	% echo $DISPLAY
	localhost:10

	% netstat -an | grep '60.*LISTEN'
	      *.6000               *.*                0      0 24576      0 LISTEN
	      127.0.0.1.6010             *.*                0      0 24576      0 LISTEN

The first of those output lines is because I am running an
X-server on the work machine.  That line has nothing to do with X
forwarding.  The second line, with the "127.0.0.1.6010" corresponds
to DISPLAY="localhost:10" with the X-forwarding.

If I were to use "X11UseLocalhost no", then the output from those
commands would instead be:

	% echo $DISPLAY
	host:10

	% netstat -an | grep '60.*LISTEN'
	      *.6000               *.*                0      0 24576      0 LISTEN
	      *.6010               *.*                0      0 24576      0 LISTEN

Note that the "10" in $DISPLAY could be 11, 12, ... in which case
the corresponding netstat line would be for port 6011 or 6012 or ...

>In that scenario I *was* running xclients on the local host, i.e., on
>host.dst. The DISPLAY.dst variable was set to localhost:10.0 and
>127.0.0.1:10.0 and in both cases X client connections were refused
>when the X11UseLocalhost yes option was set in sshd_config.dst.

Your $DISPLAY looks okay.

When you say "connections were refused", this could mean either of
two things.  It could mean that the network connection was refused,
or it could mean that authentication was refused by the X-server.
Checking "netstat" output should help.  You should see a listener
on port 6010 for your DISPLAY value.

If there is no listener on port 6010, then your sshd server
does not allow X-forwarding.  That has to be fixed in the sshd
configuration on the server.  If there is a listener, but you are
not authenticating properly to the X-server, then something is
funky about .Xauthority or whatever file xauth is using.

I hope that helps tell you what to look for.

--
DO NOT REPLY BY EMAIL - The address above is a spamtrap.

 Neil W. Rickert, Computer Science, Northern Illinois Univ., DeKalb, IL 60115
0
phishing (6)
2/5/2007 10:57:00 PM
Neil W Rickert <phishing@cs.niu.edu> writes:

> Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org> writes:
>
>>Thank you for this explanation, Richard. However, I'm afraid I still
>>don't quite understand.
>
> Let me try to explain differently.
>
> I am currently logged into my work machine from home, and I am doing
> X-forwarding.
>
> In the shell on my work machine:
>
> 	% echo $DISPLAY
> 	localhost:10
>
> 	% netstat -an | grep '60.*LISTEN'
> 	      *.6000               *.*                0      0 24576      0 LISTEN
> 	      127.0.0.1.6010             *.*                0      0 24576      0 LISTEN
>
> The first of those output lines is because I am running an
> X-server on the work machine.  That line has nothing to do with X
> forwarding.  The second line, with the "127.0.0.1.6010" corresponds
> to DISPLAY="localhost:10" with the X-forwarding.
>
> If I were to use "X11UseLocalhost no", then the output from those
> commands would instead be:
>
> 	% echo $DISPLAY
> 	host:10
>
> 	% netstat -an | grep '60.*LISTEN'
> 	      *.6000               *.*                0      0 24576      0 LISTEN
> 	      *.6010               *.*                0      0 24576      0 LISTEN
>
> Note that the "10" in $DISPLAY could be 11, 12, ... in which case
> the corresponding netstat line would be for port 6011 or 6012 or ...
>
>>In that scenario I *was* running xclients on the local host, i.e., on
>>host.dst. The DISPLAY.dst variable was set to localhost:10.0 and
>>127.0.0.1:10.0 and in both cases X client connections were refused
>>when the X11UseLocalhost yes option was set in sshd_config.dst.
>
> Your $DISPLAY looks okay.
>
> When you say "connections were refused", this could mean either of
> two things.  It could mean that the network connection was refused,
> or it could mean that authentication was refused by the X-server.

$ xterm
X connection to localhost:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

> Checking "netstat" output should help.  You should see a listener
> on port 6010 for your DISPLAY value.

[dc_admin@uspsdata ~]$ netstat -an
netstat: kvm not available
Active Internet connections (including servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address        (state)
tcp4       0      0  200.46.204.173.6010    *.*                    LISTEN

> If there is no listener on port 6010, then your sshd server
> does not allow X-forwarding.  That has to be fixed in the sshd
> configuration on the server.  If there is a listener, but you are
> not authenticating properly to the X-server, then something is
> funky about .Xauthority or whatever file xauth is using.

Do you mean .Xauthority.dst? How would I investigate/fix
such a problem? And why does placing "X11UseLocalhost no"
make it work?

> I hope that helps tell you what to look for.

Thanks Neil. By the way, do you know of a good tutorial on X11
operation/security? This .Xauthority file and xhosts and xauth and
blah-blah-blah constantly confuse me and I've never really understood
it all.
--
%  Randy Yates                  % "...the answer lies within your soul
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %       'cause no one knows which side
http://home.earthlink.net/~yatescr
0
yates (3949)
2/6/2007 3:42:06 AM
Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org> writes:
>Neil W Rickert <phishing@cs.niu.edu> writes:

>$ xterm
>X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.
>X connection to localhost:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

>> Checking "netstat" output should help.  You should see a listener
>> on port 6010 for your DISPLAY value.

>[dc_admin@uspsdata ~]$ netstat -an
>netstat: kvm not available
>Active Internet connections (including servers)
>Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address        (state)
>tcp4       0      0  200.46.204.173.6010    *.*                    LISTEN

Weird.  Have you tried setting $DISPLAY to "200.46.204.173:10"?

Or does "localhost" resolve to "200.46.204.173" when you do an IP
address lookup on your system?  Or were you using "X11UseLocalhost
no" when you did that "netstat"?

>>                               If there is a listener, but you are
>> not authenticating properly to the X-server, then something is
>> funky about .Xauthority or whatever file xauth is using.

That seems to be your problem.

>Do you mean .Xauthority.dst? How would I investigate/fix

Try

	xauth list

It should list the correct file.  (Don't post the data).

>                And why does placing "X11UseLocalhost no"
>make it work?

With the default "X11UseLocalhost yes", the xauth data for my
connection looks like

	hostname/unix:10  MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1  0000000000000000000000000000000

(I changed the numeric data to all 0s to suppress the actual value, and
I replaced the actual hostname with the numeric value).

If I were to use "X11UseLocalhost no", then instead, it would say:

	hostname:10  MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1  0000000000000000000000000000000

The use of "hostname/unix:10" might not be supported by older
X11 software.  Instead, it might be looking for an entry for
"localhost:10".  If you have that problem, you could try

   xauth add localhost:10 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 0000000000000000000000000000000

to see if that works.  Replace the string of zeros by the actual value
that xauth lists for the "hostname/unix:10" line.

If that happens to fix your problem, you could probably add lines
in ".profile" to do the fixup whenever you login.

>Thanks Neil. By the way, do you know of a good tutorial on X11
>operation/security? This .Xauthority file and xhosts and xauth and
>blah-blah-blah constantly confuse me and I've never really understood
>it all.

Off hand, no.  I normally use the man pages for that kind of info.
But there is probably a decent web site somewhere.

The wikipedia entry

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System

might be a good starting point.

0
phishing (6)
2/6/2007 4:55:28 AM
In article <4TTxh.16606$ji1.12988@newssvr12.news.prodigy.net> Neil W
Rickert <phishing@cs.niu.edu> writes:
>Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org> writes:
>>Neil W Rickert <phishing@cs.niu.edu> writes:
>
>>$ xterm
>>X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.
>>X connection to localhost:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
>
>>> Checking "netstat" output should help.  You should see a listener
>>> on port 6010 for your DISPLAY value.
>
>>[dc_admin@uspsdata ~]$ netstat -an
>>netstat: kvm not available
>>Active Internet connections (including servers)
>>Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address        (state)
>>tcp4       0      0  200.46.204.173.6010    *.*                    LISTEN
>
>Weird.  Have you tried setting $DISPLAY to "200.46.204.173:10"?
>
>Or does "localhost" resolve to "200.46.204.173" when you do an IP
>address lookup on your system?  Or were you using "X11UseLocalhost
>no" when you did that "netstat"?

I believe the above is an effect of what Randy mentioned earlier:

At least for FreeBSD's 'jail' functionality, the jail(2) man page
(http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=jail&sektion=2) says:

   All IP activity will be forced to happen to/from the IP number
   specified, which should be an alias on one of the network interfaces.

I.e. it can be expected (I haven't verified this) that an attempt to
bind() a socket to any other specific address (including 127.0.0.1,
which would "belong" to the jail-hosting host) is transformed into a
bind() to the jail-specific address. It could possibly also explain the
failure of the connection - as I read the above, an attempt to connect
to 127.0.0.1 should proceed with the destination address unchanged, but
with the source address transformed to the jail-specific address.

Such a connection should definitely fail, and possibly not with the
"Connection refused" that would be expected on a "normal" host where
nothing was listening on a matching address/port - I can't see how it
could get as far as attempting authentication though, but maybe that's
just lack of precision in the error message from Xlib.

As an aside, calling a FreeBSD 'jail' a "virtual machine" is probably an
exaggeration - it's more like chroot on steroids. But most users of such
an ISP service are probably just interested in running a server or two
plus doing the up/downloads that may be needed in conjunction with that,
and for this it is a good match.

--Per Hedeland
per@hedeland.org
0
per71 (2635)
2/6/2007 7:20:45 AM
per@hedeland.org (Per Hedeland) writes:

> In article <4TTxh.16606$ji1.12988@newssvr12.news.prodigy.net> Neil W
> Rickert <phishing@cs.niu.edu> writes:
>>Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org> writes:
>>>Neil W Rickert <phishing@cs.niu.edu> writes:
>>
>>>$ xterm
>>>X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.
>>>X connection to localhost:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

>>>[dc_admin@uspsdata ~]$ netstat -an
>>>netstat: kvm not available
>>>Active Internet connections (including servers)
>>>Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address        (state)
>>>tcp4       0      0  200.46.204.173.6010    *.*                    LISTEN
>>
>>Weird.  Have you tried setting $DISPLAY to "200.46.204.173:10"?
>>
>>Or does "localhost" resolve to "200.46.204.173" when you do an IP
>>address lookup on your system?  Or were you using "X11UseLocalhost
>>no" when you did that "netstat"?
>
> I believe the above is an effect of what Randy mentioned earlier:

> At least for FreeBSD's 'jail' functionality, the jail(2) man page
> (http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=jail&sektion=2) says:
>
>    All IP activity will be forced to happen to/from the IP number
>    specified, which should be an alias on one of the network interfaces.
>
> I.e. it can be expected (I haven't verified this) that an attempt to
> bind() a socket to any other specific address (including 127.0.0.1,
> which would "belong" to the jail-hosting host) is transformed into a
> bind() to the jail-specific address. It could possibly also explain the
> failure of the connection - as I read the above, an attempt to connect
> to 127.0.0.1 should proceed with the destination address unchanged, but
> with the source address transformed to the jail-specific address.

Hi Per,

Yes, I suspect you've hit the nail on the head.

> Such a connection should definitely fail, and possibly not with the
> "Connection refused" that would be expected on a "normal" host where
> nothing was listening on a matching address/port - I can't see how it
> could get as far as attempting authentication though, but maybe that's
> just lack of precision in the error message from Xlib.

What happens if the jail-specific address was abc.def.ghi.jkl.6010 while
sshd was listening on localhost.6010?

> As an aside, calling a FreeBSD 'jail' a "virtual machine" is probably an
> exaggeration - it's more like chroot on steroids. But most users of such
> an ISP service are probably just interested in running a server or two
> plus doing the up/downloads that may be needed in conjunction with that,
> and for this it is a good match.

You obviously know a lot more about this than me. I just have the
faintest notion that things are somehow "virtualized" and have
never had to be concerned about it until now.

Thanks much for shedding light, Per.
--
%  Randy Yates                  % "Bird, on the wing,
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %   goes floating by
%%% 919-577-9882                %   but there's a teardrop in his eye..."
%%%% <yates@ieee.org>           % 'One Summer Dream', *Face The Music*, ELO
http://home.earthlink.net/~yatescr
0
yates (3949)
2/6/2007 2:17:20 PM
Neil W Rickert <phishing@cs.niu.edu> writes:

> Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org> writes:
>>Neil W Rickert <phishing@cs.niu.edu> writes:
>
>>$ xterm
>>X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.
>>X connection to localhost:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
>
>>> Checking "netstat" output should help.  You should see a listener
>>> on port 6010 for your DISPLAY value.
>
>>[dc_admin@uspsdata ~]$ netstat -an
>>netstat: kvm not available
>>Active Internet connections (including servers)
>>Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address        (state)
>>tcp4       0      0  200.46.204.173.6010    *.*                    LISTEN
>
> Weird.  Have you tried setting $DISPLAY to "200.46.204.173:10"?

Yes, I tried that - same error message.

> Or does "localhost" resolve to "200.46.204.173" when you do an IP
> address lookup on your system?  Or were you using "X11UseLocalhost
> no" when you did that "netstat"?

No, I had set it back to "yes" temporarily.

>>>                               If there is a listener, but you are
>>> not authenticating properly to the X-server, then something is
>>> funky about .Xauthority or whatever file xauth is using.
>
> That seems to be your problem.
>
>>Do you mean .Xauthority.dst? How would I investigate/fix
>
> Try
>
> 	xauth list
>
> It should list the correct file.  (Don't post the data).
>
>>                And why does placing "X11UseLocalhost no"
>>make it work?
>
> With the default "X11UseLocalhost yes", the xauth data for my
> connection looks like
>
> 	hostname/unix:10  MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1  0000000000000000000000000000000
>
> (I changed the numeric data to all 0s to suppress the actual value, and
> I replaced the actual hostname with the numeric value).
>
> If I were to use "X11UseLocalhost no", then instead, it would say:
>
> 	hostname:10  MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1  0000000000000000000000000000000
>
> The use of "hostname/unix:10" might not be supported by older
> X11 software.  Instead, it might be looking for an entry for
> "localhost:10".  If you have that problem, you could try
>
>    xauth add localhost:10 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 0000000000000000000000000000000
>
> to see if that works.  Replace the string of zeros by the actual value
> that xauth lists for the "hostname/unix:10" line.
>
> If that happens to fix your problem, you could probably add lines
> in ".profile" to do the fixup whenever you login.
>
>>Thanks Neil. By the way, do you know of a good tutorial on X11
>>operation/security? This .Xauthority file and xhosts and xauth and
>>blah-blah-blah constantly confuse me and I've never really understood
>>it all.
>
> Off hand, no.  I normally use the man pages for that kind of info.
> But there is probably a decent web site somewhere.
>
> The wikipedia entry
>
>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System
>
> might be a good starting point.

OK, thanks.
--
%  Randy Yates                  % "She's sweet on Wagner-I think she'd die for Beethoven.
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %  She love the way Puccini lays down a tune, and
http://home.earthlink.net/~yatescr
0
yates (3949)
2/6/2007 2:22:47 PM
In article <m34ppzxte7.fsf@ieee.org> Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org> writes:
>per@hedeland.org (Per Hedeland) writes:
>>
>> At least for FreeBSD's 'jail' functionality, the jail(2) man page
>> (http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=jail&sektion=2) says:
>>
>>    All IP activity will be forced to happen to/from the IP number
>>    specified, which should be an alias on one of the network interfaces.
>>
>> I.e. it can be expected (I haven't verified this) that an attempt to
>> bind() a socket to any other specific address (including 127.0.0.1,
>> which would "belong" to the jail-hosting host) is transformed into a
>> bind() to the jail-specific address. It could possibly also explain the
>> failure of the connection - as I read the above, an attempt to connect
>> to 127.0.0.1 should proceed with the destination address unchanged, but
>> with the source address transformed to the jail-specific address.
>
>Hi Per,
>
>Yes, I suspect you've hit the nail on the head.

Well, maybe not... - I tested it a bit now.:-)

>> Such a connection should definitely fail, and possibly not with the
>> "Connection refused" that would be expected on a "normal" host where
>> nothing was listening on a matching address/port - I can't see how it
>> could get as far as attempting authentication though, but maybe that's
>> just lack of precision in the error message from Xlib.
>
>What happens if the jail-specific address was abc.def.ghi.jkl.6010 while
>sshd was listening on localhost.6010?

The jail simply won't allow a process to listen on 127.0.0.1 - here's an
example of starting sshd itself inside a jail:

# /usr/sbin/sshd -o ListenAddress=127.0.0.1:2222
# netstat -an | grep 2222
tcp4       0      0  192.168.1.45.2222      *.*                    LISTEN

I.e. sshd's request to bind() to 127.0.0.1 was silently transformed to a
bind() to the jail-specific address (192.168.1.45 in this case). The
same happens with the default "wildcard" bind():

# /usr/sbin/sshd -p 1234
# netstat -an | grep 1234
tcp4       0      0  192.168.1.45.1234      *.*                    LISTEN

However, it seems I was wrong about the connection to 127.0.0.1 having
its destination address untouched:

# telnet 127.0.0.1 1234
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_4.2p1 FreeBSD-20050903
^]
telnet> z

Suspended
# netstat -an | grep 1234
tcp4       0      0  192.168.1.45.1234      192.168.1.45.52789     ESTABLISHED
tcp4       0      0  192.168.1.45.52789     192.168.1.45.1234      ESTABLISHED
tcp4       0      0  192.168.1.45.1234      *.*                    LISTEN

I.e. that connection had both source and destination address transformed
from 127.0.0.1 to 192.168.1.45 (could be that the jail functionality
just transformed the destination address, the source would follow from
that with standard IP routing logic).

So, at this point I really have no explanation for either your failure
with X11UseLocalhost=yes or your success with X11UseLocalhost=no - only
for the netstat output.:-) Probably Neil was more on track with the
suggestions about checking xauth and ~/.Xauthority, there could be some
mismatch with the data there due to the jail transformations. The jail
I'm testing on isn't really set up for allowing ssh into it, and in
particular not for X11 forwarding back out (no X11 binaries or
libraries), so I can't check that.

>You obviously know a lot more about this than me. I just have the
>faintest notion that things are somehow "virtualized" and have
>never had to be concerned about it until now.

Oh, I didn't mean to critize your terminology - I assumed that your ISP
called the service "virtual machine".

--Per Hedeland
per@hedeland.org
0
per71 (2635)

"""""""""ADD ME""""""""""

Hello Partners, Please find the requirement below. Please send the updated resume along with rate and contact no. REQ#1: Title : Java Developer ( Rating Project) Duration : 6 months Rate : open Location : NY strong java, WebLogic 9.2, Web Services, Oracle REQ#2: Title : Java Developer Duration : 4 months Rate : open Location : NY Strong java, SQL REQ#3: Title : VB.Net Consultant Location : NY Duration : 4 months Rate : open Primarily looking at someone who has Excel, VB.net and Oracle (good to have). Req #4: Title : Java Developer (MSA Project) Duration : 6+ months Rate : open Location : NY Note : Please send your updated resume along with contact no karthik@bhaninfo.com : No phone calls please. Thanks & Regards Karthik BhanInfo karthik@bhaninfo.com ...

"If then; if then;" and "If then; if;"

why "::", not "."

"out" and "in out"

"my" and "our"

about "++" and "--"

"or" and "and"

"/a" is not "/a" ?

"In" "Out" and "Trash"

A problem about "[ ]" "( )" "="

Another variant of "ssh" working interactively, but "ssh cmd" and "scp" failing
hello, world\n I've read the SSH and OpenSSH FAQ (motd/.profile issue), googled left and right and still could not find a solution to the problem. I've got an embedded box named FOO running OpenSSH_3.7.1p1 on Linux 2.4 on PowerPC, the shell is a busybox, but using bash does not change anything. No PAM. This is the situation: ssh root@FOO -- works ssh root@FOO ls -- fails, no output, no matter what command is given scp file root@FOO: -- fails, "lost connection" Here's the debug output for the client and the server. I have also appended the /etc/ssh/sshd_config....

differences among "ssh", "rlogin" and "telnet"
Hi, what are the differences among "ssh", "rlogin" and "telnet"? Which one is better and when are each of these are recommended to use? Thanks. On Thu, 2 Mar 2006, SolarisUser wrote: > what are the differences among "ssh", "rlogin" and "telnet"? Which one > is better and when are each of these are recommended to use? ssh encrypts traffic, the others don't. SSh should always be used, and there's no reason to use the others these days. -- Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA, OpenSolaris CAB member President, Rite Online Inc. ...

"for" loop inside "ssh"
Hello, I try to use "ssh" command and run "for" loop in remote server. I mean something like: ssh remote_server -l remote_user "for file in `ls *.sql`; do; echo $file; done" Now I get: file: Undefined variable. OS: Sun Solaris Shell: ksh Thank you. On 2014-03-10, shulamitmi3@gmail.com <shulamitmi3@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello, > > I try to use "ssh" command and run "for" loop in remote server. > > I mean something like: > > ssh remote_server -l remote_user "for file in `ls *.sql`; do...

Hello Partners, How are you ? Please find the requirement below. Location : NY Duration : 8 mnths Rate :Open Job description: Java/J2EE Web Service Developer =B7 (4+ years of application development experience in Java/J2EE and Web service technologies. =B7 Experience with spring & Hibernate. =B7 Experience with J2EE Application Server (preferably Web logic). =B7 Preferable Aqua logic DSP Experience =B7 Preferable Sonic ESB Composite Service experience Experience w...

Gary Sokolich """"""

Question about "sprintf" "@" "do for"

How to change "/" to "\"
Now, the output as below /a/b/c.txt b/c.txt x:/b/c.txt , Need to change x:\b\c.txt #!/bin/ksh # echo.ksh a=/a/b/c.txt echo $a echo ${a#/*/} y=`echo x:/${a#/*/} | tr -s '/' '\'` echo $y moon wrote: > Now, the output as below > > /a/b/c.txt > b/c.txt > x:/b/c.txt , Need to change x:\b\c.txt > > > #!/bin/ksh > # echo.ksh > a=/a/b/c.txt > echo $a > echo ${a#/*/} > y=`echo x:/${a#/*/} | tr -s '/' '\'` > echo $y > > One escape necessary: echo x:/${a#/*/} | tr -s '/' '\\' Two escapes necessar...

"for" inside "for"
dear community, there is no need to mention that i'm far from beeing a sh-professional. in a male file i am trying to do two things to all files in defined directories. < === snip =============================================== > @for FILE in $(TEMPLATES); do \ @for DIR_NAME in $(DIRS); do \ FILE_BASENAME=`basename $$FILE`; \ DIR_NAME=`dirname $$FILE`; \ mkdir -p $(DIRNAME); \ cat $$FILE \ | perl -pe "s%\@INSTALL_URL\@%$(INSTALL_URL)%g" \ > $(INSTALL_PATH)/$$FILE_BASENAME; \ done; done; < === snip ========================...

what does the "+" and the "-" mean?
I recently read what the "+" and the "-" signs mean for compact discs. Of course, a friend has just asked me and I now forget. I've searched all over the place with no results. Anyone know? TIA! .. -------------------------------------- Mike Richter, were you born with "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face? -------------------------------------- roscoe james wrote: > > I recently read what the "+" and the "-" signs mean for compact discs. Of > course, a friend h...

Web resources about - What does "X11UseLocalhost no" do? - comp.security.ssh