[ace-users] Re: ACE Online Tutorials

Hi,

>> Just a quick question... the link for the online ACE tutorials seems to be
>> broken in the ACE documentation tree (returns a 404). The URI I am getting
>> is:
>>
>> http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE_wrappers/docs/ACE-tutorials.html
>>
>> The rest of the docs seem to be OK so far. Can someone point me to an
>> alternate URI or a downloadable tar/zip archive of the contents?

Ee have removed these online tutorials for the following reasons:

.. No one was maintaining them, so they didn't work very well anymore.
  If you or anyone else would like to volunteer to maintain them we'd be
  happy to add them back.

.. They have been superceeded by the material from C++NPv[12]
  and APG, which are described at

  http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE/

  The examples from these books are available in

  $ACE_ROOT/examples/C++NPv1
  $ACE_ROOT/examples/C++NPv2
  $ACE_ROOT/examples/APG

BTW, the tutorials are still available in

$ACE_ROOT/docs/tutorials

in ACE 5.4 (http://deuce.doc.wustl.edu/Download.html), so you can
continue to use them there if you'd like, though we no longer support
them.

Take care,

    Doug
--
Dr. Douglas C. Schmidt, Professor           TEL: (615) 343-8197
Electrical Engineering and Computer Science FAX: (615) 343-7440

0
Douglas

[ace-bugs] Re: [ace-users] ACE
Hi, Thanks for using the PRF. >> ACE VERSION: 5.4.1 >> >> HP Server and HP-UX 11.1 >> >> aCC: HP ANSI C++ B3910B A.03.37 >> >> CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h : config-hpux-11.00.h >> >> CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU : >> platorm_hpux_aCC.GNU >> >> AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED: >> >> $ACE_ROOT/ace - Compiled successfully but >> >> $ACE_ROOT/ - failed to compile as shown below >> >> Installing gperf -> /home/umitd/Projects/Trophy/lib/ACE_wrappers/bin >> Installing gperf -> /home/umitd/Projects/Trophy/lib/ACE_wrappers/bin >> gmake[6]: Leaving directory >> `/home/umitd/Projects/Trophy/lib/ACE_wrappers/apps/g >> perf/src' >> cd tests && gmake -f Makefile all >> gmake[6]: Entering directory >> `/home/umitd/Projects/Trophy/lib/ACE_wrappers/apps/ >> gperf/tests' >> >> Makefile: >> /home/umitd/Projects/Trophy/lib/ACE_wrappers/apps/gperf/tests/Makefile >> >> aCC -AA +W930 +W302 +DAportable -g -DACE_HAS_THREADS -D_REENTRANT >> -D_RWSTD_MULTI >> _THREAD -D_POSIX_C_SOURCE=199506L -D_HPUX_SOURCE -DHPUX_VERS=1111 >> -DACE_LACKS_PR >> AGMA_ONCE -I/home/umitd/Projects/Trophy/lib/ACE_wrappers >> -DACE_HAS_EXCEPTIONS >> -D__ACE_INLINE__ -c -o .obj/test.o te...

[ace-users] Re: [ace-bugs] ACE Licensing Issue: ace/CLASSIX
Hi Michael, Thanks for using the PRF. >> ACE VERSION: 5.4 >> >> HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: >> HP rp8400 HP-UX 11iv1 >> >> TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM, if different from HOST: >> COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL): >> aCC >> >> CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h: >> >> CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU >> (unless >> this isn't used in this case, e.g., with Microsoft Visual C++): >> >> AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED: >> ace/CLASSIX >> >> DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT: >> OTHER? (Licensing) >> >> SYNOPSIS: >> Nearly all the files in ace/CLASSIX have a copyright in them >> or a signature from Nokia. Our lawyers are going nuts. >> Example: >> CLASSIX_Dgram_Mcast.cpp: >> // Copyright 1998 Nokia Telecommunications >> >> CLASSIX_OS.h >> // = AUTHOR(S) >> // Nokia Telecommunications >> >> DESCRIPTION: >> How does this affect the ace license? >> >> REPEAT BY: >> >> SAMPLE FIX/WORKAROUND: >> Get the copyrights out of the code, or put special permissions >> into the code. O...

RE: [ace-bugs] Re: [ace-users] ACE & POSIX
Hey there's a thought. ;-) I like it. Kindly, Graham -----Original Message----- From: owner-ace-bugs@cse.wustl.edu [mailto:owner-ace-bugs@cse.wustl.edu] On Behalf Of Stephen Torri Sent: Monday, June 14, 2004 9:38 PM To: Douglas C. Schmidt Cc: ace-bugs@cs.wustl.edu Subject: Re: [ace-bugs] Re: [ace-users] ACE & POSIX Douglas C. Schmidt wrote: > Hi Folks, > > >>Yes, but it sure would make the ACE libraries smaller and potentially >>easier to maintain. A lot of the OS specific code would go away. ;-) > > > Ah, but there's rub! It will actually make ACE much larger and harder > to maintain since there will be many platforms/compiler that don't > support the new standard for many years, so it will be necessary to > support multiple variants! Having said that, I welcome these > enhancements since I think they will help improve the relevance of C++ > (cf Java), but it won't make ACE smaller and easier to maintain > (unfortunately)! > > Take care, > > Doug So consider it a new opportunity to develop new design patterns, write more papers and books, and become financially independent. ;) Stephen ...

Re: [ace-users] ACE online tutorial 8: failed when broadcast a datagram
Hi, It is unclear which tutorial you speak about, only use the tutorials which are in the distribution. Regards, Johnny Willemsen Remedy IT Postbus 101 2650 AC Berkel en Rodenrijs The Netherlands www.theaceorb.nl / www.remedy.nl *** Integrated compile and test statistics see http://remedy.nl *** *** Commercial service and support for ACE/TAO/CIAO *** *** See http://www.theaceorb.nl/en/support.html *** <hongxing777@gmail.com> wrote in message news:<1178871929.568472.304100@h2g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>... > Version: 5.5.8 > host: windows xp sp2, suse linux enterprise server 9 sp2 > compiler: vs.net 2003, gcc 3.3.3 > > the tutorial 8 using ACE_SOCK_Dgram_Bcast to broadcast datagram to the > addr INADDR_BROADCAST. when I run the broadcast_client, it complains > that: > send: Network is unreachable. > > But when I run the dedicated_client of tutorial 8, it succeeds. > My environment is SuSE Linux Enterprise 10, dual network interface > (all are configed and up). > I am sure SLES10 support broadcast alse. So why this error? > ...

[ace-bugs] Re: [ace-users] Moving to ACE?
Hi Marcelo, Thanks for your email. BTW, to ensure that we have proper version/platform/compiler information, please make sure you fill out the appropriate problem report form (PRF), which is in $ACE_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM $TAO_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM or in $ACE_ROOT/BUG-REPORT-FORM $TAO_ROOT/BUG-REPORT-FORM in older versions of ACE+TAO. Make sure to include this information when asking any questions about ACE+TAO since otherwise we have to "guess" what version/platform/compiler/options you've using, which is error-prone and slows down our responsiveness. >> Anyway before i make that big decision i need to have some >> questions answered: 1) Why did you decided not to use exceptions? >> Isn�t it the best way to handle errors? The short answers are "portability" and "efficiency". Please see Appendix A.6 in the C++NPv1 book <www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE/book1/> for a longer discussion of these issues. BTW, The ACE ORB (TAO) does use exceptions. >> 2) I saw you had a class that handles multicast but i haven�t >> seen much documentation about it, does is work correctly? Sure, it works great and is very easy to use. Check out Chapter 9 of the APG book <http://safari.awprofessional.com/?XmlId=0-201-69971-0> for documentation and examples. >> For example... something i have payed a lot of attention in my >> implementation of multicast is th...

[ace-bugs] Re: [ace-users] ACE-warnings
Hi, Thanks for using the PRF form. It seems you are using compiler options we are not using in our builds. What I have done is setup a small ACE build with some extra warnings enabled, see http://www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/scoreboard/integrated.html for the SuSE_92_GCC3.3.4_x86_64_extended_warnings build. It seems some work can be done, if you have patches to improve things, send them to the mailing list (make then bases on 5.4.2, 5.4 is almost a year old) and we can see if we can apply them. Regards, Johnny Willemsen Remedy IT Leeghwaterstraat 25 2811 DT Reeuwijk The Netherlands www.theaceorb.nl / www.remedy.nl "Sponsel Carsten (ext)" <carsten.sponsel@erln.gepas.de> wrote in message news:<0FD43CFFD4EB254AB6D0D172007FF6010396C653@erlh907a.med.siemens.de>... > ACE VERSION: 5.4 > > HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: > AMD Opteron with RedHawk Linux 2.2 (based on Kernel 2.6.3) > > TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: same > > COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL): gcc (GCC) 3.2.3 20030502 (Red > Hat Linux 3.2.3-20) > > CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h: > > CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU (unless > this isn't used in this case, e.g., with Microsoft Visual C++): > > AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED: > COMPILATION > > SYNOPSIS: > Compiler-Warnings > > DESCRIPTION: > > I'm astonish...

[ace-bugs] Re: [ace-users] DCLP and ACE
Hi Yongwei, >> Has anyone here read the DDJ article "C++ and the Perils of >> Double-Checked Locking"? It is available at this URL: >> >> http://www.ddj.com/documents/ddj0408l/ >> >> Regretfully registration is needed to read it. >> >> In brief, Scott Meyers and Andrei Alexandrescu talked about why DCLP is >> unsafe, esp. on multiprocessor environments. The most difficult part >> seems to be the Alpha Reordering problem, described at >> >> http://www.cs.umd.edu/~pugh/java/memoryModel/AlphaReordering.html >> >> And thus DCLP could be impossible, unless some memory barrier is >> inserted in every read! The topic of memory barriers for the Alpha and ACE_Singleton is discussed in the DCLP description in POSA2 <www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/POSA/>. If you'd like to contribute portable patches that add this capability to $ACE_ROOT/ace/Singleton.cpp that would be great. We (i.e., the DOC groups at WU/VU/UCI) don't have a Alpha platform in our possession, so if you would like to provide one that we could use to run regression tests on our auto-build virtual scoreboard <www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/scoreboard/> that would be great. Thanks, Doug -- Dr. Douglas C. Schmidt, Professor TEL: (615) 343-8197 Electrical Engineering and Computer Science FAX: (615) 343-7440 Vanderbilt University WEB: ww...

[ace-bugs] Re: [ace-users] ACE Site Down !!!!!!!!
Hi Folks, >> Could you please post the URL's that you think are down? If you are >> takling of the intro online tutorials from Dr. Schmidt's website, >> then I may know the answer. Those tutorials were removed from the >> repository a few days back. BTW, the tutorials were removed for two reasons: .. No one was maintaining them. If you or anyone else would like to volunteer to maintain them we can add them back. .. They have been superceeded by the material from C++NPv[12] and APG, which are described at http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE/ The examples from these books are available in $ACE_ROOT/examples/C++NPv1 $ACE_ROOT/examples/C++NPv2 $ACE_ROOT/examples/APG Take care, Doug -- Dr. Douglas C. Schmidt, Professor TEL: (615) 343-8197 Electrical Engineering and Computer Science FAX: (615) 343-7440 Vanderbilt University WEB: www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ Nashville, TN 37203 NET: d.schmidt@vanderbilt.edu ...

[ace-bugs] Re: [ace-users] Contribution to ACE
Hi Ishay, >> I will submit it soon. Great, thanks. >> The solution is implemented as part of my company internal framework. It is >> not written with the coding style of ace. >> >> Should I do some kind of adjustment before submitting it to the group? Yes - please see http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE_wrappers/docs/ACE-guidelines.html for instructions on how to conform to the ACE programming guidelines. >> Should I rewrite it so it will compile with the ace library? Yes, please try to get things working "out of the box" so that we can integrate it easily. Also, please add a "one button" test following the style of the various tests in $ACE_ROOT/tests/*_Test.cpp so that we can ensure that your changes work properly. >> Also, In order to integrate it as part of ace frameworks it will >> need some changes in the implementation. Are you referring to changes in the ACE implementation or to your framework's implementation? Thanks, Doug -- Dr. Douglas C. Schmidt Professor and Associate Chair Electrical Engineering and Computer Science TEL: (615) 343-8197 Institute for Software Integrated Systems WEB: www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/~schmidt Vanderbilt University, Nashville TN, 37203 NET: d.schmidt@vanderbilt.edu ...

[ace-bugs] Re: [ace-users] ACE
Hi Srujan, >> I am using ACE 5.1 on Solaris. How can I find out that IPv6 is >> enabled in my build. I couldnt use the ACE::ipv6_enabled() >> function. Also, in ACE5.1 how can I detertmine at run time that >> IPv6 has been enabled on the machine. ACE 5.1 is ANCIENT. Please upgrade to a more recent version of ACE, e.g., ACE 5.4.4 <deuce.doc.wustl.edu/Download.html> or one of the commercially supported versions, as discussed at http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/commercial-support.html Thanks, Doug -- Dr. Douglas C. Schmidt Professor and Associate Chair Electrical Engineering and Computer Science TEL: (615) 343-8197 Institute for Software Integrated Systems WEB: www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/~schmidt Vanderbilt University, Nashville TN, 37203 NET: d.schmidt@vanderbilt.edu ...

Re: [ace-bugs] RE: FW: [ace-users] ACE & POSIX
Hi Graham, >> Having spent most of my time in the murky world of real-time >> embedded systems (for the medical industry) I can tell you this. >> It is quite unlikely that the "old dodgers" (according to your >> definition I would fall into that category) would upgrade their >> version of ACE. If the current (or older) version of ACE works why >> upgrade? That's not been our experience working with scores of companies during the past decade. There are many companies who are stuck using older compiler platforms, but are quite happy to upgrade to newer versions of ACE, particularly when those versions fix important bugs, improve compile-/run-time performance, and/or add useful features. In fact, companies like OCI do a good business supporting precisely these sorts of uesrs. >> The old gnu 2.7.2 compiler that was mentioned earlier is most >> likely the compiler that is used by Windriver's IDE Tornado (which >> I use daily). Tornado 2.0.2 for Intel CPUs uses a snapshot of the >> (2.7.2) gnu compiler (Although Windriver doesn't like to admit it. >> I don't know how they get around the open source rules.). Even the >> "new" version of Tornado coming out this fall uses a newer but >> still older version of the gnu compiler. But rumor has it that the >> Diablo compiler, which has been recently only available for >> Motorola C...

RE: [ace-users] Re: ACE
Hi, When ACE 5.4 was released the MinGW port wasn't really up to date. Upgrade to the latest beta, that will work. Regards, Johnny Willemsen Remedy IT Postbus 101 2650 AC Berkel en Rodenrijs The Netherlands www.theaceorb.nl / www.remedy.nl > -----Original Message----- > From: owner-ace-users@cse.wustl.edu > [mailto:owner-ace-users@cse.wustl.edu] On Behalf Of Douglas C. Schmidt > Sent: woensdag 12 oktober 2005 19:11 > To: silviu_andrica@yahoo.com > Cc: ace-users@cs.wustl.edu > Subject: [ace-users] Re: ACE > > > Hi Silviu, > > > i'm sorry fot bothering you and i know that you get this kind of > > emails all the time, > > Thanks very much for your email. Please make sure to send all > questions related to TAO or ACE to the ACE mailing list or ACE+TAO > newsgroup, rather than to me directly since I travel frequently and > often don't have ready access to email. See > > http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE-mail.html > > for more info on how to access these resources. > > > but i have a problem > > with compiling ACE 5.4. I'm trying to compile it using > > MinGW on Windows XP (SP2). > > To ensure that we have proper version/platform/compiler information, > please make sure you fill out the appropriate problem report form > (PRF), which is in > > $ACE_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM > $TAO_ROOT...

[ace-bugs] Re: [ace-users] ACE & POSIX]
Hi, >> I'm looking around for a theme to my Thesis (I'm doing a master degree >> in software engineering), and I'm wondering about in doing something in >> that direction (to propose, design and start developing a modern and >> standard compliant "ACE new generation". >> >> If there is any interest in consolidate something in this direction, I >> will glad join this effort with all my "thesis energy" to do so. That would be very cool. As I mentioned in another email, the next generation ACE (ACEng or ACE++ or whatever it should be called) would need to address things like 1. Replace the use of const char *'s with std::string's. 2. Replace the use of the ACE container classes in ACE class interfaces with the appropriate STL equivalent. 3. Replace the use of ACE synchonronization mechanisms with equivalents from BOOST. I'm sure there are many other suggestions that people would like to add, as well. If you're interested in doing an MS thesis on this topic, the key would be to figure out some more fundamental issues (e.g., framework migration, software re-engineering, refactoring, etc.) and then make the ACE modernization project a case study of applying these techniques. It would certainly be an interesting and useful project! If people are interested in doing this we could setup a CVS repo at ISIS. Thanks, Doug -- Dr. D...

[ace-bugs] Re: [ace-users] Moving to ACE? #2
Hi Roger, >> Could you please explain these kernel problems on Linux? I think there are two problems: .. There are (were) bugs in the Linux implementation of the aio_*() functions. These manifested themselves by failures of the $ACE_ROOT/tests/Proactor_Test.cpp on Linux. .. The Linux kernel implements the aio_*() functions by spawning a thread for each asynchronous request, which sort of defeats the point of asynchronous I/O! Take care, Doug -- Dr. Douglas C. Schmidt, Professor TEL: (615) 343-8197 Electrical Engineering and Computer Science FAX: (615) 343-7440 Vanderbilt University WEB: www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ Nashville, TN 37203 NET: d.schmidt@vanderbilt.edu ...

[ace-bugs] Re: [ace-users] Using ACE with COM
Hi Zvika, Thanks for using the PRF. >> ACE VERSION: 5.4.2 >> >> HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: >> Windos XP Pro, winsock2 >> >> TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM, if different from HOST: >> COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL): >> MSVC6 SP5 >> >> CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h [if you use a link to a platform- >> specific file, simply state which one]: >> #include "config-win32.h" >> >> CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU (unless >> this isn't used in this case, e.g., with Microsoft Visual C++): >> >> AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED: >> [What example failed? What module failed to compile?] >> >> DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT: >> COMPILATION? NO >> LINKING? NO >> On Unix systems, did you run make realclean first? >> EXECUTION? YES >> OTHER (please specify)? >> [Please indicate whether ACE, your application, or both are affected.] >> >> SYNOPSIS: >> We are working on a big project that involves ACE. We need to interface the >> part that uses ACE to other Windows based applications >> that need to remain unaware of the underlying implementation. The obvious >> method is to use COM,...

[ace-bugs] Re: [ace-users] ACE & POSIX
Hi Graham, >> I don't think that is a very fair or complete answer to Jay, having >> wondered the same thing myself. I think you've been wondering something different, as I explain below. >> I have read both C++NP books, the 'Ace Programmer's Guide' and used >> ACE for various projects. >> >> For example: >> >> ACE has encapsulated the innards of C++ network programming. ACE is not an >> ISO standard as far as I know. But in JAVA, network programming is part of >> the JAVA standard. So why would that portion of ACE even be necessary if >> network programming were part of the C++ standard? That's a *very* interesting question. As far as I could tell, however, Jay wasn't asking that question.. He was asking about POSIX-compliant operating systems, which have APIs written in C. Much of C++NPv1 (along with the URL I posted) talks about why OO C++ wrapper facades (like the ones in ACE) are more appropriate for developing networked applications than function-oriented C APIs. >> ACE has encapsulated most OS primitives, just like BOOST and a few >> (many?) others. Again, if C++ added semaphores, mutexes, threads >> and etc. to the C++ standard, would they be necessary in ACE? I >> have heard some rumors that this might be added to the C++ >> standard. (Could it be true?) There are efforts afoot in the C++ standardiz...

[ace-bugs] Re: [ace-users] ACE support for IPv6
Hi Vivek, >> Could anyone send me some documentation or links on how IPv6 is >> handled in ACE and usage related documentation. I believe this is described in the ACE Programmer's Guide book, which you can obtain from http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0201699710/qid=1066059513/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/102-5569290-4943326?v=glance&s=books&n=507846 There are also examples in $ACE_ROOT/tests/*IPv6.cpp $ACE_ROOT/tests/*IPV6.cpp Take care, Doug -- Dr. Douglas C. Schmidt, Professor TEL: (615) 343-8197 Electrical Engineering and Computer Science FAX: (615) 343-7440 Vanderbilt University WEB: www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ Nashville, TN 37203 NET: d.schmidt@vanderbilt.edu ...

[ace-bugs] Re: [ace-users] How to Use IPv6 in ACE?
Hi, Thanks for using the PRF. >> ACE VERSION: 5.4.1 >> >> HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: >> SUN Solaris 8 >> >> TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM, if different from HOST: >> COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL): >> SUN Forte6 C++ UP1 >> >> CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h [if you use a link to a platform- >> specific file, simply state which one]: >> config-sunos5.8.h >> >> CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU (unless >> this isn't used in this case, e.g., with Microsoft Visual C++): >> platform_sunos5_sunc++.GNU >> >> AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED: >> NO >> >> DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT: >> COMPILATION? >> NO >> LINKING? >> NO >> EXECUTION? >> NO >> OTHER (please specify)? >> NO >> >> SYNOPSIS: >> I want to know how to use IPv6 in ACE-TAO, and where i can find the documents and examples. Please see http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ace-users/message/38643 for a partial answer to your question. In addition, check out $ACE_ROOT/tests/INET_Addr_Test_IPV6.cpp $ACE_ROOT/tests/Max_Default_Port_Test_IPV6.cpp $ACE_ROOT/te...

[ace-bugs] Re: [ace-users] QoS support on ACE
Hi Sarvo, >> When we compile ACE with QoS Support, can we control the the >> parameters like bandwidth, latency using Application built on ACE? Sure, assuming that your application is running over an IntServ-enabled network! >> I am using "IP over 1394" to create a network of 3 PCs. "IP over >> 1394" driver makes IEEE1394 card to look like ethernet card for >> TCP/Ip stack in linux kernel. So I would like to know, will I be >> able to control and measure parameters like bandwidth, latency and >> Jitter using ACE. Yes. >> I have already built ACE with QoS support by installing RSVP and >> running RSVP daemon. Any ideas or thoughts in this line are >> welcome. Check out the examples in $ACE_ROOT/examples/QOS/ Take care, Doug -- Dr. Douglas C. Schmidt, Professor TEL: (615) 343-8197 Electrical Engineering and Computer Science FAX: (615) 343-7440 Vanderbilt University WEB: www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ Nashville, TN 37203 NET: d.schmidt@vanderbilt.edu ...

[ace-bugs] Re: [ace-users] how to transmit file in ACE
Hi, >> I want to write the program whitch want to transmit file with >> ACE, how can I do it? which method and related classs information I >> should use? To ensure that we have proper version/platform/compiler information, please make sure you fill out the appropriate problem report form (PRF), which is in $ACE_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM $TAO_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM or in $ACE_ROOT/BUG-REPORT-FORM $TAO_ROOT/BUG-REPORT-FORM in older versions of ACE+TAO. Make sure to include this information when asking any questions about ACE+TAO since otherwise we have to "guess" what version/platform/compiler/options you've using, which is error-prone and slows down our responsiveness. >> My project using the Proactor model to communiction between >> client and server. and I can't confirm that if I use >> ACE_Asynch_Transmit_File to transmit the files from all of the >> clients to the server, that the performance will be the bottleneck >> of the system. also, I don't know how to use >> ACE_Asynch_Transmit_File. any body can give any advice will be >> great approciate! There are examples of using the Proactor and ACE_Asynch_Transmit_File in ACE_ROOT/examples/Reactor/Proactor/ Take care, Doug -- Dr. Douglas C. Schmidt Professor and Associate Chair Electrical Engineering and Computer Science TEL: (615) 343-8197 Institute for ...

[ace-bugs] Re: [ace-users] How to use the IPV6 in ACE?
Hi, Thanks for using the PRF. >> TAO VERSION: 1.3 >> ACE VERSION: 5.3 You definitely want to upgrade to ACE 5.4.1, which you can obtain from the "usual place" at http://deuce.doc.wustl.edu/Download.html >> HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: >> Intel P4/Windows 2000 Server SP4 >> SUN Ultra/ Solaris 8 >> >> TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM, if different from HOST: >> COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL): >> VC7.1 >> SUN Workshop Forte C++ 6 update 1 >> >> AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED: >> N/A >> >> DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT: >> COMPILATION? >> No >> LINKING? >> No >> EXECUTION? >> No >> >> SYNOPSIS: >> I want to know how to use IPv6 in ACE/TAO and where i can find the docs and examples. Please see ACE_ROOT/tests/INET_Addr_Test_IPV6.cpp ACE_ROOT/tests/Max_Default_Port_Test_IPV6.cpp ACE_ROOT/tests/Multicast_Test_IPV6.cpp ACE_ROOT/tests/Multihomed_INET_Addr_Test_IPV6.cpp ACE_ROOT/tests/Proactor_Test_IPV6.cpp ACE_ROOT/tests/SOCK_Send_Recv_Test_IPV6.cpp for a number of examples. Steve, does APG have any documentation for the IPV6 stuff? Thanks, Doug -- Dr. Douglas C. Schmidt, Professor TEL: (615) 343-8197 Electrical Engineering and Computer Science F...

Re: [ace-bugs] RE: [ace-users] Linux LFS (Large File Support) and ACE
Hi, >> I guess I'm a bit confused. From what I've read on the net, it >> seems that if I define -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 (as reported by >> getconf LFS_CFLAGS on linux), and my code uses posix types >> religiously, then my code should become large-file capable "just >> like that." Based on your email, if ACE is type-safe, then it >> should magically support large files given this flag. (getconf >> LFS_LDFLAGS returns nothing on linux). >> >> Yet, you also mention adding interfaces ACE_OS and ACE_File. What >> would be the motivation of those interfaces if the above is true? >> >> I suppose the answer is "to support large files on systems that do >> not support LFS API's posixely" ? I think the main issue here is that different operating systems provide different ways to handle "large" files. For example, some operating systems have you pass special compile flags (e.g. -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64) and/or use special functions (e.g., the *64() functions provided by AIX and HP/UX). As far as I know, there is no POSIX "standard" way to handle this. There's no current support in ACE for the *64() functions, which is what's provided by that *.zip file whose URL I sent you. It may be easier, however, just to try and recompile ACE and your apps using the -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 to see if that works first. If not, pleas...

Re: [ace-users] [BULK] Re: [ace-bugs] [BULK] Re: Calling ACE::init() causes exception on 20th instantiation of a
Thanks to Aleksandar Vukajlovic at finsoft! He got us a bit closer to finding this issue and also came up with some much simpler test code that reproduces the issue (see below). It seems that ACE::fini is not properly cleaning up a thread or some storage. When config.h file is modified to include more thread keys (#define ACE_DEFAULT_THREAD_KEYS 1000), the issue occurs later on. The default value for ACE_DEFAULT_THREAD_KEYS is 64, with this, ACE::init will fail after ~20 iterations, with it increased to 1000, ACE::init fails ~500 iterations. Small program that will reproduce bug without using complex MFC follows from Aleksandar. Many thanks in advance for anyone who can help debug this. - Andrew //Test code #include "ace/OS.h" #include "ace/Log_Msg.h" #ifdef _DEBUG const char* dll_name = "U:\\Temp\\TestACEInit\\DllTest\\Debug\\DllTest.dll"; #else const char* dll_name = "U:\\Temp\\TestACEInit\\DllTest\\Release\\DllTest.dll"; #endif //_DEBUG void doTest () { for (int i = 0; i < 1000; ++i) { HMODULE hm = ::LoadLibrary (dll_name); if (hm == NULL) ACE_DEBUG ((LM_ERROR, "failed to load library, iteration (%d)\n", i)); if (::FreeLibrary (hm) == FALSE) ACE_DEBUG ((LM_ERROR, "failed to free library, iteration (%d)\n", i)); } } int main (int argc, char* argv[]) { doTest (); return 0; } ////////////////////////////////// // DllTest code...

RE: [ace-users] [ACE 5.5] Upgrade from ACE 5.4.7 to ACE 5.5
Hi, > ACE VERSION: 5.5 Thanks for using the PRF form. > HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: > > Intel, WindowsXp, Windows 2003 An important bit information is missing, which compiler did you use. > AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED: > The only problem we encountered was a compilation error > when construction ACE_Time_Value. > > The ACE_Time_Value cannot be constructed anymore from an integer. > > For example: ACE_Time_Value( 5 ) --> Compile error Great to hear things work without problems. This errors sounds strange, we do have test cases like this in tests/Time_Value_Test.cpp. We do have made all constructors of ACE_Time_Value explicit. As a result if you have a method that expects a ACE_Time_Value&, you just can't pass for example 5, you have to pass an ACE_Time_Value(5). Regards, Johnny Willemsen Remedy IT Postbus 101 2650 AC Berkel en Rodenrijs The Netherlands www.theaceorb.nl / www.remedy.nl ...

Web resources about - [ace-users] Re: ACE Online Tutorials - comp.soft-sys.ace

Samsung Galaxy Ace 4 User Reviews
Samsung Galaxy Ace 4 reviews written by Phone Arena users. You can read the opinion of each user and how they rate the phone in 11 categories. ...

Samsung Galaxy Ace 3 official: iPhone-alike size for the new user
Samsung has revealed another in its Galaxy series, the Galaxy Ace 3, now targeting entry-level smartphone users who want a pocket-friendly 4-inch ...