[ciao-users] ACE+TAO+CIAO - 5.4.7 + 1.4.7 + 0.4.7 released

Hi,

We are pleased to announce a new beta of ACE-5.4.7, TAO-1.4.7 and
CIAO-0.4.7.  Since the x.4.6 beta had so many changes and improvements,
we wanted to get this new beta out quickly to fix several important bugs
reported by our users, which we greatly appreciate, as always.  We've
also added a number of subsetting improvements that reduce the
static/dynamic footprint of ACE+TAO significantly.

As usual the latest release is available at:

http://deuce.doc.wustl.edu/Download.html

The doxygen documentation for the beta is also available.

We encourage you to download the new beta, use it with your
applications, and let us know if you encounter any problems.  As always,
please use the:

     $ACE_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM
     $TAO_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM
     $CIAO_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM

so that we have the version/platform/compiler/options you're using to
report problems.  We also request that you take a look at

$TAO_ROOT/docs/releasenotes
$CIAO_ROOT/docs/releasenotes

for the status of various ongoing projects at the DOC groups of WashU,
UCI, and Vanderbilt to move ACE+TAO+CIAO forward.  Overviews of our
recent progress and upcoming plans are available at

$ACE_ROOT/NEWS
$TAO_ROOT/NEWS
$CIAO_ROOT/NEWS

The overall success rates for the test results gathered from all our
daily builds is 98% for the ACE tests and 95% for the TAO tests.  Please
see

http://www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/scoreboard/

for a summary of these tests.  Our goal is to get these tests close to
100% for the next major release (i.e., ACE 6.0, TAO 2.0, and CIAO
1.0),which is slated for some time later this summer or early fall.

The following is a list of key changes since the last beta.  Please
refer to the ChangeLog for more details on the problem and the nature of
fixes applied.

Changes to ACE
==============

.. Support for shared libraries with VxWorks

.. Support for Solaris 10 on x86 with Sun Studio 10 (C++ 5.7).

.. Extended ACE_OS::event_xxx implementation to support platforms having
  either PThread support with Process Shared condition variables or
  POSIX semaphores with named (process shared) semaphore support or
  using the new FIFO based semaphores.

.. ACE_OS::closesocket() no longer calls ACE_OS::shutdown() on any
  platform while closing the socket. It previously called
  ACE_OS::shutdown() on HP-UX. Removing this call fixes the
  fork-and-close programming paradigm that's common to many networked
  applications.

.. RMCast
   - Support for message fragmentation. This will allow
     for messages larger than 64K.
   - Support for flow control.
   - Timed recv() in RMCast::Socket.
   - Per-instance configurable protocol parameters (e.g., message
     retention time, NAK timeout, etc).

Changes to TAO
==============

.. The Telecom Logging Service now supports dynamically loaded Strategies
  which can be used to implement a persistent log record store.  If none
  are specified, a default in-memory hash table implementation is used.

.. The CodecFactory is moved to its own library to reduce footprint. If
  you use this in your application include
  tao/CodecFactory/CodecFactory.h and link the TAO_CodecFactory with
  your app.

.. The ORBInitializer registry, PolicyFactory registry and ORBInitInfo
  are moved to the new PI library to reduce footprint. If you use these
  classes include tao/PI/PI.h in your application code and link the new
  TAO_PI library with your application.

.. All server side PortableInterceptor support is moved to the new
  TAO_PI_Server library to reduce footprint. If you use this, include
  tao/PI_Server/PI_Server.h in your application code and link the new
  TAO_PI_Server lib.

.. A new set of examples and support code that show how to set up a
  multicast-based federation of Notification Services is now available
  in $TAO_ROOT/orbsvcs/examples/Notify/Federation.

.. Hard-coded loading of services with Service Configurator now uses the
  ACE_DYNAMIC_SERVICE_DIRECTIVE macro, which also works when the xml
  version of service config is enabled.

.. The Codeset negotiation support is in its own library to reduce
  footprint. The hooks are still present in the ORB Core to dynamically
  load the codeset support if needed. This behaviour is overridden by
  the new ORB_init option -ORBNegotiateCodesets 0.

.. The Boxed Value Type as specified by OMG IDL is now accepted by the
  TAO_IDL compiler.

.. TAO clients now parse the OMG specified TAG_ALTERNATE_IIOP_ADDRESS
  profile component. To generate IORs using that component, add the new
  ORB_init option, -ORBUseSharedProfiles 1.

.. Refactored TAO's codeset negotiation feature to be optionally
  loadable.  The implementation is now in a separate library,
  TAO_Codeset. Applications not wishing to use codeset support may pass
  -ORBNegotiateCodesets 0 to ORB_init() to avoid loading the
  library. When building dynamic applications codeset negotiation is
  available by default. For static applications, the default is to *not*
  include codeset negotiation. Statically linked apps needing codeset
  negotiation support must do two things:

  - Define the new MPC feature "negotiate_codesets=1" in default.features
    and regenerate makefiles.
  - Add "#include <tao/Codeset/Codeset.h>" somewhere in their application
    source. Placing this in the source file that includes calling ORB_init()
    is probably the best place.

.. Added CORBA::Object::_repository_id() and CORBA::Object::_get_orb() as
  described by the spec.

Changes to CIAO & DAnCE
=======================

.. Added the first cut of the standard OMG D&C RepositoryManager
  implementation.  Lots more work is required, but we're making
  progress.

.. Added a component packaging tool to DAnCE, which allows component
  packagers to create archived packages from deployment plans to
  encapsulate all relevant component properties, descriptors, and
  implementation artefacts.  The component packages generated from this
  tool will be distributed to Repository Manager.

.. Enhanced DAnCE to allow more than one NodeApplicationManager within a
  NodeManager.

.. Enhanced DAnCE to support configurable output of debugging
  information.  Support for debugging information will be added at the
  level of both the DAnCE/CIAO infrastructure as well as individual
  component instances.  Support for tracing of the DAnCE/CIAO
  infrastructure will also be added.  Together, these efforts will help
  developers to understand the execution of their component-based
  applications, as well as allowing customization of the amount of
  debugging information logged.

.. Added binding component to the Naming Service. A system deployer could
  configure this through XML-based flattened deployment plan
  descriptor. See
  $CIAO_ROOT/DAnCE/examples/Hello/descriptors/flattened_deploymentplan.cdp
  for details. Currently DAnCE only provides resolving naming service
  reference through multicast, so be sure to initialize the naming
  service with multicast port.

.. Changed scoping of code generated by the CIDL compiler to accommodate
  cases where the composition declaration is enclosed in one or more IDL
  modules, and/or when the composition declaration is in a different
  scope than the associated component IDL declarations.

Known Issues
============

.. LoadBalancing on Windows - the LoadManager is not using the correct
  default reactor type on Windows. It tries to use the ACE_TP_Reactor,
  which does not implement signal handling.  It should use the
  ACE_WFMO_Reactor.

Bugzilla Bug Fixes
==================

  1245, 1691, 1875, 1913, 2087, 2088, 2089, 2099, 2101, 2109, 2127,
  2137, 2139, 2142, 2144, 2147, 2150, 2154, 2155, 2156, 2159, 2168,
  2171, 2174, 2176, 2177, 2180, 2182, 2183, 2184, 2185, 2187, 2190,
  2196, 2198, 2202,  and  2206.

Cheers,
--
Simon McQueen                                    sm@prismtech.com
International SWE of Mystery                    www.prismtech.com

0
Simon

Problem compiling ACE 6.2.0 on GCC 4.4.7 (Redhat 4.4.7-2)
in trace.hpp class Formatter : public Formattable { <snip> private: const Formattable::FieldMap &getFieldMap() const; static ACE_Mutex mFieldMapMutex; static FieldMap *mFieldMap; }; in trace.cpp ACE_Mutex TraceInfo::Formatter::mFieldMapMutex; Formattable::FieldMap *TraceInfo::Formatter::mFieldMap =3D NULL; const Formattable::FieldMap &TraceInfo::Formatter::getFieldMap() const { ACE_Guard< ACE_Mutex > guard( mFieldMapMutex ); //line 115 if( mFieldMap =3D=3D NULL ) { mFieldMap =3D new FieldMap; mFieldMap->add( "class", FIELD_CLASS ); mFieldMap->add( "depth", FIELD_DEPTH ); mFieldMap->add( "depth_indent", FIELD_DEPTH_INDENT ); mFieldMap->add( "function", FIELD_FUNCTION ); mFieldMap->add( "full_function", FIELD_FULL_FUNCTION ); mFieldMap->add( "class_and_function", FIELD_CLASS_AND_FUNCTION ); mFieldMap->add( "arguments", FIELD_ARGUMENTS ); mFieldMap->add( "file", FIELD_FILE ); mFieldMap->add( "line", FIELD_LINE ); mFieldMap->add( "value", FIELD_VALUE ); mFieldMap->add( "age", ...

[ace-users] ACE+TAO+CIAO x.7.4 available for download
Hi, Once again, thanks to the efforts of many developers, testers, and users, we are pleased to announce the latest ACE+TAO+CIAO x.7.4 micro release, which is available from the usual download location at: http://download.dre.vanderbilt.edu/ under the heading "Latest Micro Release kit." This release contains major CIAO changes and some small changes to ACE and TAO for all the work done in CIAO. The doxygen documentation for this release is also available. In addition to the packages combined of sources and generate makefiles, this release provides source-only packages for developers who use MPC to generate their own makefiles. We encourage you to download the new release, use it with your applications, and let us know if you encounter any problems. Please use the: $ACE_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM $TAO_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM $CIAO_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM so that we have the proper version/platform/compiler/options you're using to report problems. We also request that you take a look at: $TAO_ROOT/docs/releasenotes/ for the status of various ongoing projects at the DOC groups of WashU, UCI, and Vanderbilt to move ACE+TAO+CIAO forward. Overviews of our recent progress and upcoming plans are available at: $ACE_ROOT/NEWS $TAO_ROOT/NEWS $CIAO_ROOT/NEWS The overall success rates for the test results gathered from all our daily builds is 98% for the ACE tests and 94% for the TAO tests. Please see: http://www.dre.v...

[ciao-users] ACE+TAO+CIAO x.7.4 available for download
[...]

[tao-users] ACE+TAO+CIAO x.7.4 available for download
[...]

[News] New GNU/Linux/BSD Releases: DragonFly 2.4.1, Untangle 7.0, Plamo 4.7, Goblinx 3.0 "G:Standard"

[ace-bugs] ACE+TAO+CIAO x.7.4 available for download
[...]

[ace-announce] ACE+TAO+CIAO x.7.4 available for download
[...]

[ciao-users] ACE+TAO+CIAO x.7.7 available for download
Hi, Once again, thanks to the efforts of many developers, testers, and users, we are pleased to announce the latest ACE+TAO+CIAO x.7.7 micro release, which is available from the usual download location at: http://download.dre.vanderbilt.edu/ under the heading "Latest Micro Release kit." This release contains major CIAO changes and some small changes to ACE and TAO for all the work done in CIAO. The doxygen documentation for this release is also available. In addition to the packages combined of sources and generate makefiles, this release provides source-only packages for developers who use MPC to generate their own makefiles. We encourage you to download the new release, use it with your applications, and let us know if you encounter any problems. Please use the: $ACE_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM $TAO_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM $CIAO_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM so that we have the proper version/platform/compiler/options you're using to report problems. We also request that you take a look at: $TAO_ROOT/docs/releasenotes/ for the status of various ongoing projects at the DOC group of Vanderbilt to move ACE+TAO+CIAO forward. Overviews of our recent progress and upcoming plans are available at: $ACE_ROOT/NEWS $TAO_ROOT/NEWS $CIAO_ROOT/NEWS The overall success rates for the test results gathered from all our daily builds is 98% for the ACE tests and 95% for the TAO tests. Please see: http://www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/sco...

[ace-users] ACE+TAO+CIAO x.7.7 available for download
[...]

[ciao-users] ACE+TAO x.7.4 rpms available from opensuse build service
Hi all, The ACE+TAO x.7.4 rpms for are available from the opensuse build service at http://software.opensuse.org/search We are currently searching for funding to add debian/ubuntu package support to the open source distribution. If you are interested in funding this work please contact me. Regards, Johnny Willemsen Remedy IT http://www.theaceorb.nl ...

[News] New Releases of GNU/Linux: GParted 0.4.7-1, Caos 1.0.25, Baltix 4.1

[tao-bugs] Re: [ace-users] ACE+TAO+CIAO
Hi Folks, The new x.4 release represents a LOT of work by a lot of dedicated people, both in and out of the DOC group. We appreciate all your help. As usual, please let us know if you run into problems. Thanks, Doug ...

[tao-users] Problem with shmiop and large message size. TAO 1.4.2, 1.4.7
New to CORBA and TAO. Problem: I have a program that works fine using iiop. Want to learn more about the pluggable protocols (ie colocation and shmiop). I've managed to figure out how to enable the shmiop and uiop. The uiop works fine, iiop works fine, but when I use shmiop my stress test fails with: FreeBSD 6.0, gcc 3.4.4, libACE 5.4.2, libTAO 1.4.2 TAO: (57262|134668288|SHMIOP_Transport.cpp|243) closing transport 11 after fault send_message () or Solaris 9, gcc 4.0.1, libACE 5.4.7, libTAO 1.4.7 TAO: (12580|1|Strategies/SHMIOP_Transport.cpp|238) closing transport 12 after fault send_message () : Not enough space The program works up till this point. The buffer size that is trying to be passed is: This is for the solaris 9 trace: Dec 5 18:18:29.050 2005@<local_host>@12580@LM_DEBUG@bin/tsserver|TAO (12580| 1) - GIOP_Message_Base::dump_msg, send GIOP v1.2 msg, 280045 data bytes, my endian, Type Reply[10010] Dec 5 18:18:29.050 2005@<local_host>@12580@LM_DEBUG@bin/tsserver|GIOP message - HEXDUMP 280057 bytes (showing first 912 bytes) ....(with what I'd expect to be here) Not sure what to do here. I was looking for something to increase the buffer size, but the only option I could find was the one to increase the socket buffer, which shouldn't have any affect. I can send code or more log files if need be, just didn't want to pollute the list. Thanks, Thaddeus ...

[tao-announce] ACE+TAO+CIAO x.7.4 available for download
[...]

Re: [tao-users] Problem with shmiop and large message size. TAO 1.4.2, 1.4.7,
Hi Nanbor, Can you please take a look at the question from Thaddeus Covert below and suggest a fix? Thaddeus, can you please explain the size of the buffer you're trying to pass? It's not in your posting below. Thanks, Doug In article <200512061457.45749.tcovert@tazznetworks.com> you write: >> New to CORBA and TAO. >> >> Problem: I have a program that works fine using iiop. Want to learn more about >> the pluggable protocols (ie colocation and shmiop). I've managed to figure >> out how to enable the shmiop and uiop. The uiop works fine, iiop works fine, >> but when I use shmiop my stress test fails with: >> >> FreeBSD 6.0, gcc 3.4.4, libACE 5.4.2, libTAO 1.4.2 >> >> TAO: (57262|134668288|SHMIOP_Transport.cpp|243) >> closing transport 11 after fault send_message () >> >> or >> Solaris 9, gcc 4.0.1, libACE 5.4.7, libTAO 1.4.7 >> >> TAO: (12580|1|Strategies/SHMIOP_Transport.cpp|238) closing transport 12 after >> fault send_message () >> : Not enough space >> >> The program works up till this point. The buffer size that is trying to be >> passed is: >> This is for the solaris 9 trace: >> >> Dec 5 18:18:29.050 2005@<local_host>@12580@LM_DEBUG@bin/tsserver|TAO (12580| >> 1) - GIOP_Message_Base::dump_msg, send GIOP >> v1.2 msg, 2800...

settings for postgresql.conf on 7.3.4 vs 7.2.1 and 7.2.4
Dear Guru's, I have been running the 7.2.x version of Postgresql on about 25 i686 machines and I have been updating them to the 7.2.1 to 7.2.4. I just started experimenting with the Severn beta of Redhat ?10? which has rpms for the sexy 7.3.4 of Postgresql. Well, to handle the heavy load of clients on my dedicated servers running postgresql I have set certain parameters for the postgresql.conf file as well as the shared memory. For machines with 512MB of RAM i set kernel.shmmax=425000000 in the appropriate place and in postgresql.conf I set shared_buffers=48000 max_connectio...

settings for postgresql.conf on 7.3.4 vs 7.2.1 and 7.2.4
Dear Guru's, I have been running the 7.2.x version of Postgresql on about 25 i686 machines and I have been updating them to the 7.2.1 to 7.2.4. I just started experimenting with the Severn beta of Redhat ?10? which has rpms for the sexy 7.3.4 of Postgresql. Well, to handle the heavy load of clients on my dedicated servers running postgresql I have set certain parameters for the postgresql.conf file as well as the shared memory. For machines with 512MB of RAM i set kernel.shmmax=425000000 in the appropriate place and in postgresql.conf I set shared_buffers=48000 max_connectio...

Upgrading 7.2.4 to 7.4.1
Dear all, I've got an old 7.2.4 DB which I hoped to upgrade to 7.4.1. The old syntax used for creating tables had lines like ... id integer DEFAULT '', which translates to this error: pg_restore: [archiver (db)] could not execute query: ERROR: invalid input syntax for integer: "" I found out that integer with '' as default is not acceptable after 7.3. Also, some complaints were given with the data, particulary numerous "\N" lines when restoring (this can be worked out by using -d switch when dumping). Also, schemas are not going to be created...

Upgrading 7.2.4 to 7.4.1
Dear all, I've got an old 7.2.4 DB which I hoped to upgrade to 7.4.1. The old syntax used for creating tables had lines like ... id integer DEFAULT '', which translates to this error: pg_restore: [archiver (db)] could not execute query: ERROR: invalid input syntax for integer: "" I found out that integer with '' as default is not acceptable after 7.3. Also, some complaints were given with the data, particulary numerous "\N" lines when restoring (this can be worked out by using -d switch when dumping). Also, schemas are not going to be created...

[tao-users] ACE+TAO+CIAO x.7.7 available for download
[...]

verifiing 8.1.7.4.1 upgrade to 8.1.7.4.x
I have upgraded our test 8.1.7.4.1 database to 8.1.7.4.13. I would like to verify this fact. In the readme it does state that all the products will not display the version number 8.1.7.4.13, because it's a cummulative patch. I would like to see at least one file with the version number greater than 8.1.7.4.1 querying the database, v$instance still yields 8.1.7.4.1 Any ideas? thanks Try (might need as SYS) column comp_name format a35 column status format a20 column version format a11 select comp_name, status, substr(version,1,10) as version from dba_registry order by comp_name; ...

ANN: ToolbarPlus Express 4.0 for FM/Win (6.0, 7.0, 7.1 and 7.2)
ToolbarPlus Express is now available from MicroType. It provides: * Enhanced formatting bar * Improved QuickAccess bar * Improved context menus * Numerous useful keyboard shortcuts * A set of five quick-reference guides * Direct access to FrameMaker templates, clip art and online manuals ToolbarPlus Express 4.0 replaces MicroType's Express Customization, which is no longer available as a free download. I hope that you have enjoyed ten years of free use and will continue to benefit from this package, now with even more features and enhancements, including: * improved co...

[ace-bugs] ACE+TAO+CIAO (x.4.1) released
Hi, Thanks to substantial efforts by many developers, testers, and users, we are pleased to announce a bug-fix-only (BFO) release for ACE+TAO+CIAO (x.4). As discussed at http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE_wrappers/docs/ACE-development-process.html a BFO beta only contains fixes for the x.4 distributed released in mid-January. The goal of a BFO release is to provide a more stable base for ACE+TAO+CIAO users and to allow commercial support vendors to stabilize the release for their product offerings. The latest BFO release has been tagged ACE-5.4.1, TAO-1.4.1 and CIAO-0.4.1. As usual, i...

[ciao-users] tao_idl invocation error on ciao 0.4.7
CIAO VERSION: 0.4.7 TAO VERSION : 1.4.7 ACE VERSION : 5.4.7 HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: Win XP Professional, Winsock 3.10.0.103 THE $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h FILE: #include "config-win32.h" CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/bin/MakeProjectCreator/config/default.features (used by MPC when you generate your own makefiles): ssl=0 qos=1 cidl=1 rwho=0 sctp=0 boost=1 AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED: Building and Execution of tao_idl with Visual Studio 7. DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT: EXECUTION? SYNOPSIS: Execution of the tao_idl 1.4.7 compiler ends up in an Error. DESCRIPTION: I downloaded the latest ACE/TAO/CIAO Version x.4.7. I'm using Visual Studio 7 to build ACE successfully. When building TAO, the TAO lib and the TAO IDL Compiler builds without errors. When the first invocation of tao_idl in the project is invoked from Visual Studio, I get the following Error: > Debug Error! > > Program: ...-4-7\ACE_wrappers_vob\ACE_wrappers\build\vc71\tao_idl.exe > Module: ...-4-7\ACE_wrappers_vob\ACE_wrappers\build\vc71\tao_idl.exe > File: [...]\build\vc71\tao\tao_idl\driver\drv_preproc.cpp > Line: 286 > > Run-Time Check Failure #0 - The value of ESP was not properly saved > accross a function call. This is usually a result of calling a > function declared with one calling convention with a function pointer > de...

[ciao-users] ACE/TAO/CIAO/DAnCE x.0.7 available
Hi all, Once again, thanks to the efforts of many developers, testers, and users, we are pleased to announce the micro release of ACE 6.0.7, TAO 2.0.7, CIAO 1.0.7, and DAnCE 1.0.7, which is available from the usual download location at: http://download.dre.vanderbilt.edu/ under the heading "Latest Micro Release Kit." The doxygen documentation for this release is also available. In addition to the packages combined of sources and generate makefiles, this release provides source-only packages for developers who use MPC to generate their own makefiles. We encourage you to download the new release, use it with your applications, and let us know if you encounter any problems. Please use the: $ACE_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM $MPC_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM $TAO_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM $CIAO_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM $DANCE_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM so that we have the proper version/platform/compiler/options you're using to report problems. We also request that you take a look at: $TAO_ROOT/docs/releasenotes/ for the status of various ongoing projects at the DOC group of Vanderbilt to move ACE+TAO+CIAO+DAnCE forward. Overviews of our recent progress and upcoming plans are available at: $ACE_ROOT/NEWS $TAO_ROOT/NEWS $CIAO_ROOT/NEWS $DANCE_ROOT/NEWS The overall success rates for the test results gathered from all our daily builds is 97% for the ACE tests and 97% for the TAO, CIAO, and DAnCE tests. Please see: http://w...

Web resources about - [ciao-users] ACE+TAO+CIAO - 5.4.7 + 1.4.7 + 0.4.7 released - comp.soft-sys.ace