[tao-announce] ACE+TAO+CIAO - 5.5.6 + 1.5.6 + 0.5.6 released

Hi all,

We are pleased to announce the latest ACE+TAO+CIAO beta. This beta has been
tagged ACE+TAO+CIAO-5_5_6.  The main difference between this release and x.5.5
is that the ACE exception macros (except for ACE_THROW_RETURN and
ACE_THROW_SPEC) have been removed from all TAO and CIAO code.

It is available from the same download location as per the previous release.

http://download.dre.vanderbilt.edu/

The doxygen documentation for the beta is also available. Included with this
beta, besides the packages combined of sources and generate makefiles, we also
provide source only packages for the group of users which use MPC to generate
their own makefiles.

We encourage you to download the new beta, use it with your applications, and
let us know if you encounter any problems. Please use the:

$ACE_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM
$TAO_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM
$CIAO_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM

so that we have the proper version/platform/compiler/options you're using to
report problems. We also request that you take a look at:

$TAO_ROOT/docs/releasenotes/

for the status of various ongoing projects at the DOC groups of WashU, UCI, and
Vanderbilt to move ACE+TAO+CIAO forward.  Overviews of our recent progress and
upcoming plans are available at:

$ACE_ROOT/NEWS
$TAO_ROOT/NEWS
$CIAO_ROOT/NEWS

The overall success rates for the test results gathered from all our daily
builds is 96% for the ACE tests and 92% for the TAO tests.  Please see:

http://www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/scoreboard/

for a summary of these tests. As always, we appreciate your help in resolving
the remaining problems. Please see:

ACE_ROOT/docs/ACE-bug-process.html

for an overview of our bug fixing policies.

The following is a list of key changes since the last release.  Please refer to
the corresponding ChangeLog files or Bugzilla entries for more details on the
problem and the nature of fixes applied.

==============
Changes to ACE
==============

.. The ACE_TYPENAME macro has been added to those that are not
  available when the ACE_LACKS_DEPRECATED_MACROS config option is set
  (it is not set by default). You are encouraged to replace the use of
  ACE_TYPENAME with the C++ typename keyword before the ACE_TYPENAME
  macros is removed from ACE in the future.

.. A new script, rm_exception_macros.pl, has been added to help users
  remove the use of the ACE exception macros from their own code.

==============
Changes to TAO
==============

.. Removed all exception environment macros except ACE_THROW_RETURN
  and ACE_THROW_SPEC

=========================
Changes to CIAO and DAnCE
=========================

.. Removed all exception environment macros except ACE_THROW_RETURN
  and ACE_THROW_SPEC

.. All CIAO libraries built on UNIX systems will now have the correct library
  version numbers.  Previously they had the same version numbers as TAO
  libraries.

=========================
Known issues
=========================

.. "defined in discarded section" Linker Errors.
   Certain libraries within TAO are now triggering the well known and
   annoying gcc compiler/linker bug (on older compilers and binutils). This
   bug generates error messages similar to the following:

   /usr/bin/ld: .L2925' referenced in section .rodata' of
   .shobj/DynamicAny/DynArray_i.o: defined in discarded section

..gnu.linkonce.t._ZN3TAO15MakeDynAnyUtils14make_dyn_any_tIRKN5CORBA3AnyEEEPN10DynamicAny6DynAnyEPNS2_8TypeCodeET_'
of .shobj/DynamicAny/DynArray_i.o

   The only fix we have found for this type of problem is to upgrade
   both the gcc compiler, binutils (and in some cases the libc) to later
   versions that are more compatiable with each other. This problem caused
   all of our Debian linux test machines to choke until we upgraded their
   tools to the following:

   g++ (GCC) 4.1.2 20061115 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-21)
   gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20061115 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-21)
   binutils 2.17-3
   libc6 2.3.6.ds1-10

.. The Implementation repository may not work correctly when IPv6 is enabled.

0
Douglas