[tao-users] ACE 5.3.5 + TAO 1.3.5 + CIAO 0.3.5 beta released

Hi

We are happy to announce a new beta of ACE-5.3.5, TAO-1.3.5 and
CIAO-0.3.5. This beta comes with new ORB level services that were
developed over the past few months by folks at Washington University
and University of Rhode Island. Please see the release notes attached
with this email for more information.

As usual the latest release is available at:

http://deuce.doc.wustl.edu/Download.html

The doxygen documentation for the beta will be updated in the next few
hours!

We highly encourage you to download the present beta and use it with
your applications and let us know if there are any problems. As
always, please use the:

   $ACE_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM
   $TAO_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM
   $CIAO_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM

so that we have the version/platform/compiler/options you're using to
report problems. We would also request that you take a look at

$TAO_ROOT/docs/releasenotes
$CIAO_ROOT/docs/releasenote.html

for the status of various ongoing projects at the doc groups of WashU,
UCI and Vanderbilt to move ACE+TAO+CIAO forward.

In addition the following is a list of noteworthy changes since the last
beta. Please refer to the ChangeLog for more details on the problem
and the nature of fixes applied.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR UNIX and LINUX USERS

Please note that $ACE_ROOT/lib directory also has to be added to
the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable in addition to the
existing  $ACE_ROOT/ace. This is part of the transition plan to
accomodate and use Makefiles generated from MPC.

ACE
====
  . Added support for the new CBuilderX Preview compiler and improved
    support for the MingW compiler.

  . The use of shared library versioning is now controlled by the
    versioned_so make variable, which can be set on the command line
    or in your platform_macros.GNU file.  versioned_so=1 turns on
    versioning, and versioned_so=0 turns it off. The default varies
    by platform. The version number applied to the library is
    controlled by the SOVERSION make variable. This can be set to
    any value you like. The default is <ACE-major>.<ACE-minor>.<ACE-beta>.

  . The limitation of the user level notification queue within the
    Select_Reactor and TP_Reactor has been fixed. This problem
    prevented applications from having unbounded queue of notification
    messages. [BUG 1268]

  . Added support for allocators inside the Kokyu dispatching
    infrastructure.

  . An initial implementation of thread scheduling and dispatching
    mechanisms to support Distributable Threads in Dynamic Scheduling
    Real Time CORBA (DSRTCORBA) has been added to the Kokyu
    infrastructure ($ACE_ROOT/Kokyu). Two different styles of
    dispatching mechanisms are available - Condition variable based
    dispatching and OS-based direct dispatching. The DSRT dispatching
    module in Kokyu is flexible enough to plug in different kinds of
    scheduling policies. For more information, please see
    $ACE_ROOT/Kokyu/docs/Kokyu.html.

  . Improved support for LynxOS

TAO
=====

ORB
----
  . Added CORBALOC support for SCTP.

TAO SSLIOP Pluggable Protocol
-----------------------------
  . Removed erroneous HPUX-specific check from TAO_SSLIOP Makefile.
    TAO_SSLIOP should build properly on HP-UX.

ORB services
------------
  . Fixed a bug in the naming service which caused a wrong corbaname
    ObjectURL generation [BUG 1606]

  . Implementation of the Real-Time CORBA 1.0 Scheduling Service,
    implemented by Real-Time Distributed Object Computig Lab at
    University of Rhode Island is now available in this beta. The
    RTCosScheduler allows applications to schedule tasks according to
    scheduling information determined a priori. This scheduling
    information is stored in a config file so that both the client and
    the server has access to it. For more information, please see
    $TAO_ROOT/docs/releasenotes/rtc10_sched.html.

  . The FaultTolerance library is now split into three different
    libraries viz. Utils, Client and Server. These finer granular
    pieces are available to the applications if the Makefiles are
    generated using MPC. Using the old Makefiles and dsp files would
    still generate a single library for backward copatibility.

  . Support for Fault Tolerance in the TAO Real Time Event Service.
    This allows you to start several event services in different
    machines. These event services form an object group which
    can be treated as a logical event service by clients. The clients
    only communicate with the primary (leader) of the object group.
    The other event channels in the object group are called backups.
    Once the primary dies, one of the backups will assume the
    reponsibility of primary and this process is transparent to the
    clients. For more information, see
    $TAO_ROOT/docs/releasenotes/ftrt_ec.html

  . Support for Stream Control Transmission Protocol (SCTP) in the
    AVStreams pluggable protocol. This allows users to choose SCTP
    as their transport protocol to send and receive data. The SCTP
    protocol is available only when the sctp flag is set in
    $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU.

  . Example implementations of DSRTCORBA schedulers using Kokyu are
    available in $TAO_ROOT/examples/Kokyu_dsrt_schedulers. Currently,
    there are three schedulers - Maximum Importance First, Fixed
    Priority and Maximum Urgency First.

  . Fixed problem in CPU load monitor that prevent loads from being
    gathered on Linux. Fixed problem where it wasn't possible to
    retrieve a CPU load monitor object reference from the LoadManager.

  . Additional tests and performance-tests for LoadBalancer have been
    added.

CIAO
====

  . CIDL compiler now supports all the basic types in the front end
    and back end.

  . The CIDL compiler has some Makefiles and vcproj files for
    compilation. MPC support for the CIDL compiler is just round the
    corner.

Bugs Fixed or Resolved
======================

 1268, 1585, 1588, 1590, 1606, 1609, 1610, 1612, 1614

Issues
======
  . The generated code for the supports keyword in IDL doesn't generate
    the right code.

Thanks
Venkita
0
venkita (4)

"Venkita Subramonian" <venkita@cse.wustl.edu> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> We are happy to announce a new beta of ACE-5.3.5, TAO-1.3.5 and
> CIAO-0.3.5. This beta comes with new ORB level services that were
> developed over the past few months by folks at Washington University
> and University of Rhode Island. Please see the release notes attached
> with this email for more information.
>
> As usual the latest release is available at:
>
> http://deuce.doc.wustl.edu/Download.html
>
> The doxygen documentation for the beta will be updated in the next few
> hours!

Venkita,

The doxgen documentation is not accessible - all the *html* files have
permissions rw- --- ---.

Cheers,
Bruce MacDonald

0