Problems at linkage of TAO to ACE, target VxWorks 6.2

CE VERSION: 5.6.1

    HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM:
        Solaris

    TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM, if different from HOST:
    COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL):
      VxWorks 6.2

    THE $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h FILE [if you use a link to a platform-
    specific file, simply state which one]:

     #define ACE_LACKS_PTHREAD_ATTR_SETSTACK
     #include "config-vxworks6.2.h"

    THE $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU FILE [if you
    use a link to a platform-specific file, simply state which one
    (unless this isn't used in this case, e.g., with Microsoft Visual
    C++)]:

          debug ?= 0
          rtp ?= 0
          pthread ?= 1
          shared_libs = 1

    CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/bin/MakeProjectCreator/config/
default.features
    (used by MPC when you generate your own makefiles):

    AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED:
[What example failed?  What module failed to compile?]

    DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT:
         EXECUTION - YES

    SYNOPSIS:
What is the differences in linkage between compilation of ACE+TAO with
or without (RTP, PTHREAD), when we allow or disallow both of them
together? We can't allow RTP at our project. If we disallow RTP and
PTHREAD we have a problems with linkage with some TAO libraries.

If I compile ACE with no pthread, I have a problems at linkage of
libTAO_Valuetype.so, it have a lot of undefined symbols, that are
included when pthread is included.

For example a few symbols says
Warning: module 0x87e010 holds reference to undefined symbol
_ZN6ACE_OS15thr_setspecificEmPv.
Warning: module 0x87e010 holds reference to undefined symbol
_ZN5CORBA8_tc_nullE.
Warning: module 0x87e010 holds reference to undefined symbol
_ZN5CORBA8TypeCodeD2Ev.

Thanks,
Galit

0
Galit

Thanks for using the PRF.

>CE VERSION: 5.6.1
>
>    HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM:
>        Solaris
>
>    TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM, if different from HOST:
>    COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL):
>      VxWorks 6.2

I believe that VxWorks 6.2 has some significant bugs that make it hard
to use with ACE+TAO.  Johnny, can you please confirm/deny?

thanks,

Doug

--
Dr. Douglas C. Schmidt                       Professor and Associate Chair
Electrical Engineering and Computer Science  TEL: (615) 343-8197

0
schmidt
11/4/2007 6:28:01 PM
On Nov 4, 8:28 pm, schm...@dre.vanderbilt.edu (Douglas C. Schmidt)
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for using the PRF.
>
> >CE VERSION: 5.6.1
>
> >    HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM:
> >        Solaris
>
> >    TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM, if different from HOST:
> >    COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL):
> >      VxWorks 6.2
>
> I believe that VxWorks 6.2 has some significant bugs that make it hard
> to use with ACE+TAO.  Johnny, can you please confirm/deny?
>
> thanks,
>
> Doug
>

> >    THE $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h FILE [if you use a link to a platform-
> >    specific file, simply state which one]:
>
> >     #define ACE_LACKS_PTHREAD_ATTR_SETSTACK
> >     #include "config-vxworks6.2.h"
>
> >    THE $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU FILE [if you
> >    use a link to a platform-specific file, simply state which one
> >    (unless this isn't used in this case, e.g., with Microsoft Visual
> >    C++)]:
>
> >          debug ?= 0
> >          rtp ?= 0
> >          pthread ?= 1
> >          shared_libs = 1
>
> >    CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/bin/MakeProjectCreator/config/
> >default.features
> >    (used by MPC when you generate your own makefiles):
>
> >    AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED:
> >[What example failed?  What module failed to compile?]
>
> >    DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT:
> >         EXECUTION - YES
>
> >    SYNOPSIS:
> >What is the differences in linkage between compilation of ACE+TAO with
> >or without (RTP, PTHREAD), when we allow or disallow both of them
> >together? We can't allow RTP at our project. If we disallow RTP and
> >PTHREAD we have a problems with linkage with some TAO libraries.

> >If I compile ACE with no pthread, I have a problems at linkage of
> >libTAO_Valuetype.so, it have a lot of undefined symbols, that are
> >included when pthread is included.
>
> >For example a few symbols says
> >Warning: module 0x87e010 holds reference to undefined symbol
> >_ZN6ACE_OS15thr_setspecificEmPv.
> >Warning: module 0x87e010 holds reference to undefined symbol
> >_ZN5CORBA8_tc_nullE.
> >Warning: module 0x87e010 holds reference to undefined symbol
> >_ZN5CORBA8TypeCodeD2Ev.
>
> >Thanks,
> >Galit
>
> --
> Dr. Douglas C. Schmidt                       Professor and Associate Chair
> Electrical Engineering and Computer Science  TEL: (615) 343-8197
> Vanderbilt University                        WEB:www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/~schmidt
> Nashville, TN 37203                          NET: d.schm...@vanderbilt.edu

Did you recommend to use VxWorks 6.4 with ACE+TAO 5.5.1a patch 4?

0
Galit

> Did you recommend to use VxWorks 6.4 with ACE+TAO 5.5.1a patch 4?

ACE+TAO 5.5.1a is supported by OCI, so please contact them at
taosupport@ociweb.com for info on this.

Thanks,

Doug
--
Dr. Douglas C. Schmidt                       Professor and Associate Chair
Electrical Engineering and Computer Science  TEL: (615) 343-8197
Vanderbilt University                        WEB: www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/~schmidt
Nashville, TN 37203                          NET: d.schmidt@vanderbilt.edu

0
schmidt

> >    HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM:
> >        Solaris
> >
> >    TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM, if different from HOST:
> >    COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL):
> >      VxWorks 6.2
>
> I believe that VxWorks 6.2 has some significant bugs that make it hard
> to use with ACE+TAO.  Johnny, can you please confirm/deny?

The VxWorks 6.2 kernel has signicant bugs. We have had some crashes in the
kernel when testing ACE/TAO on a target. We only deliver commercial support
for VxWorks, see www.theaceorb.nl for our services.

Regards,

Johnny Willemsen
Remedy IT
Postbus 101
2650 AC  Berkel en Rodenrijs
The Netherlands
www.theaceorb.nl / www.remedy.nl

*** Integrated compile and test statistics see
http://scoreboard.theaceorb.nl ***
*** Commercial service and support for ACE/TAO/CIAO             ***
*** See http://www.theaceorb.nl/en/support.html                 ***

0
Johnny