Re: [ace-users] C++ Exception handling model for Win32 builds #2

Johnny Willemsen said:
> I did remember disabling the error window didn't work with /Eha. The issue
> is that I don't have free time to retest this at this moment. I can only do
> that as part of our commercial services. Can you file this in bugzilla (see
> http://deuce.doc.wustl.edu/bugzilla/index.cgi).

Done. It's Bug 3169. Out of interest, what do you need to test? I've
written a little non-ACE program and verified that a unhandled exception
filter is called with /EHsc. I've also recompiled ACE with
ACE_DISABLE_WIN32_ERROR_WINDOWS, introduced an access violation to one
of the regressions tests and verified that it don't show the error
window when that option is set. Is there anything else I can do to help?

> > As a minor improvement, if we really do want to prevent win32 error
> > dialogs from appearing, we may want to consider calling
> > SetErrorMode(SEM_FAILCRITICALERRORS) in the code in the #ifdef
> > ACE_DISABLE_WIN32_ERROR_WINDOWS block. >
> Can you add this also to bugzilla

It's in as Bug 3170

Adrian

0
Adrian

Re: [ace-users] How to use c++ native exception handling instead of ACE's while building ACE+TAO #2
Hi Ji, >> The problem seems to me that the application code is compiled with >> an own set of GNU makefiles, they don't use the rules from the ones >> we ship with ACE. Is this correct? If so, then it's no surprise you're having problems.. >> I would propose that the reporter uses MPC to generate the >> makefiles and build those, all really looks like mismatches in >> compiler settings. Right, that's my intuition, as well. Take care, Doug -- Dr. Douglas C. Schmidt Professor and Associat...

RE: [ace-users] How to use c++ native exception handling instead of ACE's while building ACE+TAO #2
Hi, > >> In fact, I built ACE + TAO with all the default configuration. > >> Just created one file config.h in ACE_wrappers/ace, which > includes one line= > >> : > >> #include "ace/config-sunos5.10.h", and another file > >> ACE_wrappers/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU, > which includes only > >> one line: > $(ACE_ROOT)/include/makeinclude/platform_sunos5_sunc++.GNU. > >> > >> Then I cd into ACE_wrappers/ace and run "gmake", and then cd into > >> ACE_wrappers/...

RE: [ace-users] How to use c++ native exception handling instead of ACE's while building ACE+TAO #2
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------_=_NextPart_001_01C64CE3.591E106C Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, =20 >From the errors below, it looks like: =20 - You have either overridden the base class method _is_a() when it needs no overriding, or you have declared another method with the same name in your implementation class. =20 - You have used throw specs in methods and then have their implementations throw exceptions not in the list. =20 - You have used methods in ACE_Array_Map t...

Re: [ace-users] How to use c++ native exception handling instead of ACE's while building ACE+TAO #2
Hi, > However, all the codes are stub and skelton files generated from IDL > files. So I am puzzled. It sounds to me like you have do something like the following: .. Build TAO's ORB services using -Ge 2 option at some point, which would leave lots of stubs/skeletons around with the emulated exceptions. .. Then later gone back and rebuilt ACE+TAO using native exceptions and -Ge 1, but not cleaned up the stubs/skeletons generated earlier. That's why I recommend you TOTALLY start over from scratch and see if things work better. If this all seems like...

Re: [ace-users] C++ Exception handling model for Win32 builds
Johnny Willemsen said: > We also need this setting for the ACE_DISABLE_WIN32_ERROR_WINDOWS to work. > We use this on all build systems to log access violations to a file instead > of getting something on the screen. Are you sure? For me, calling SetUnhandledExceptionFilter prevents dialogs from appearing on the screen after an access violation. The /EHa flag doesn't change the behaviour of the unhandled exception filter in any way. As a minor improvement, if we really do want to prevent win32 error dialogs from appearing, we may want to consider calling SetErrorMode(SEM_FAILCRITICALERRORS) in the code in the #ifdef ACE_DISABLE_WIN32_ERROR_WINDOWS block. As things currently stand, I believe that "Please Insert a disk in drive A:" and similar dialogs can be shown. > Can't you just override the default in > your default.features file and regenerate the project files? Sure, but you do understand just how undesirable the current behaviour of catch(...) is, don't you? Just about every expert seems to strongly recommend that you avoid the combination of /EHa and catch(...). If we understand the risks and truly believe that there are benefits to /EHa, then fine. But, as things currently stand I just see lots of risks and not many benefits. Adrian ...

[tao-users] Re: [ace-users] How to use c++ native exception handling instead of ACE's while building ACE+TAO
Hi, >> My only guess is that all of the libs you are linking in your >> builds were not compiled with a consistent set of options. Right, my recommendation would be to completely blow away your existing ACE+TAO x.5 directory, download a fresh version, and start from a clean slate. It sounds like you may have things lying around from previous build attempts. Thanks, Doug -- Dr. Douglas C. Schmidt Professor and Associate Chair Electrical Engineering and Computer Science TEL: (615) 343-8197 Institute for Software Integrated Systems...

[ace-bugs] Re: [ace-users] How to use c++ native exception handling instead of ACE's while building ACE+TAO
Hi, To ensure that we have proper version/platform/compiler information, please make sure you fill out the appropriate problem report form (PRF), which is in $ACE_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM $TAO_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM or in $ACE_ROOT/BUG-REPORT-FORM $TAO_ROOT/BUG-REPORT-FORM in older versions of ACE+TAO. Make sure to include this information when asking any questions about ACE+TAO since otherwise we have to "guess" what version/platform/compiler/options you've using, which is error-prone and slows down our responsiveness. > I know we can set except...

RE: [ace-users] How to use c++ native exception handling instead of ACE's while building ACE+TAO
Hi, The files hand-crafted from pseudo IDL in the ORB are all using -Ge 1, the same as the orbsvcs files in your use case, so there should be no conflict. When you say you've set exceptions=1, does that mean for orbsvcs or for the TAO build as well? We are in the process of dropping support for ACE's exception handling, and as I understand it, in the version of ACE+TAO that you have, ACE exception handling should not be possible. My own workspace always uses native exception handling (and the IDL compiler option -Ge 1), and I have no build problems at any time. My only gues...

[ace-users] C++ Exception handling model for Win32 builds
I see that recent (e.g. ACE 5.5 and ACE 5.6) Win32 builds of ACE are compiled with the compiler option /EHa ("asynchronous exception handling"). I was wondering whether it's worth considering changing this to /EHsc ("synchronous exception handling"). To briefly recap the difference between these exception handling models, asynchronous exception handling essentially means two things: a) The compiler must assume that any line of code could throw. This prevents some optimizations. b) catch (...) catches OS-level faults (e.g. access violations). By contrast, synchronous exception handling means that the compiler can assume that only function calls or explicit throws throw an exception, and catch(...) will only catches C++ exceptions. As I understand, ACE deliberately decided to use asynchronous exception handling. In particular, I saw this entry in the ace changelog: Tue Dec 6 18:40:12 UTC 2005 Johnny Willemsen <jwillemsen@remedy.nl> * bin/MakeProjectCreator/config/acedefaults.mpb: For vc8 set ExceptionHandling to 2. This enabled the structured exception handling. Normally vc8 doesn't catch structured exceptions but we except so for some tests and else the disabling of the win32 error windows doesn't work. This fixes bugzilla [BUG:2290] See also http://www.codecomments.com/archive292-2005-8-578262.html for backgroup. Thanks to Steve Huston and Chad Elliott for proposing to...

[ace-users] How to use c++ native exception handling instead of ACE's while building ACE+TAO
------=_Part_4200_19123378.1142842734852 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline Hi, I know we can set exceptions =3D 1 or 0 in platform_macros.GNU to use ACE's exception handling or C++'s native exception handling. But I am still not clear on which value should I set exceptions to if I want to use only the C++'s native exception handling support. Thanks, -- Best regards, MyCORBA ------=_Part_4200_19123378.1142842734852 Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transf...

RE: Subject: Building ACE 5.3.1 on Mac OS X (Tiger) 10.4.2 was [ace-users] Building ACE on Mac OSX 10.4 #2
Hi Jason, > > >> ACE VERSION: 5.3.1 > > > > This version of ACE is ANCIENT. The forthcoming ACE 5.4.8 > beta should > > work "out of the box" for Mac OS X Tiger. If you want a preview, > > please download the version in our CVS repo at > > I know it isn't the most recent version available, but this > version is used > extensively across the corporation. Changing the version of > ACE all these > products used will cause the architect's heads to explode ;) ;-) Right - this is where the value of commercial support providers comes into play. DOC's research efforts continue to march on as they should, while commercial product efforts are best served by sticking with a version of ACE over time. Companies such as Riverace can make a 5.3-base version work on Mac OS X Tiger, for instance, as well as make sure that when your product is ready for an upgrade, the new version of ACE won't surprise you. I'd be happy to discuss further how we can help you and your architects - we don't want any heads to explode :-) -Steve -- Steve Huston, Riverace Corporation Helping you succeed with ACE See http://www.riverace.com/support.htm ...

RE: Subject: Building ACE 5.3.1 on Mac OS X (Tiger) 10.4.2 was [ace-users] Building ACE on Mac OSX 10.4 #2
Hi Doug, > > Thanks for using the PRF. > > >> ACE VERSION: 5.3.1 > > This version of ACE is ANCIENT. The forthcoming ACE 5.4.8 beta should > work "out of the box" for Mac OS X Tiger. If you want a preview, > please download the version in our CVS repo at I know it isn't the most recent version available, but this version is used extensively across the corporation. Changing the version of ACE all these products used will cause the architect's heads to explode ;) Is it your opinion that 5.3.1 is hopeless cause on ...

Re: Subject: Building ACE 5.3.1 on Mac OS X (Tiger) 10.4.2 was [ace-users] Building ACE on Mac OSX 10.4 #2
Hi Jason, >> I know it isn't the most recent version available, but this version >> is used extensively across the corporation. Changing the version of >> ACE all these products used will cause the architect's heads to >> explode ;) >> >> Is it your opinion that 5.3.1 is hopeless cause on Tiger? It'll take some work, but companies like Riverace, Remedy, and OCI can help out with this stuff if staying with 5.3.1 is essential. Please see http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/commercial-support.html for help with this stuff. >>...

RE: [ace-users] Re: I cannot build ACE #2
Hi Steve > Actually, it's because the GNUmakefiles generated for the ACE release > don't include the 'ssl' feature. You have to regenerate the > GNUmakefiles with ssl enabled. The GNUmakefiles do have SSL support as part of the distribution (not the other project types). For the GNU make it should work to add ssl=1 to the platform_macros.GNU file and then build it. Regards, Johnny Willemsen Remedy IT Postbus 101 2650 AC Berkel en Rodenrijs The Netherlands www.theaceorb.nl / www.remedy.nl ...

RE: [ace-users] Re: I cannot build ACE #2
Actually, it's because the GNUmakefiles generated for the ACE release don't include the 'ssl' feature. You have to regenerate the GNUmakefiles with ssl enabled. I added this to the Riverace support customers' FAQ section recently. I'll get an external FAQ section set up shortly. -Steve ...

RE: [ace-users] Re: I cannot build ACE #2
Hi, If you need ssl support you add ssl=1 to your platform_macros.GNU file and install ssl, see the ACE-INSTALL.html document for more info. If you don't need these optional libraries, just ignore the warnings. Regards, Johnny Willemsen Remedy IT Postbus 101 2650 AC Berkel en Rodenrijs The Netherlands www.theaceorb.nl / www.remedy.nl > -----Original Message----- > From: Ji Soo [mailto:mycorba@gmail.com] > Sent: maandag 20 maart 2006 2:16 > To: jwillemsen@remedy.nl > Cc: Steve Huston; ace-users@cs.wustl.edu > Subject: Re: [ace-users] Re: I canno...

Re: RE: [ace-users] problem of ACE with C# #2
Hi, >> I used the ACE::init ()in the startup function of the DLL, but the errors continues. I recommend you contact one of the companies listed at http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/commercial-support.html for commercial support since none of us use C#. Thanks, Doug >> >Hi, >> > >> >Before the first call to ACE make sure you call ACE::init(). >> > >> >Regards, >> > >> >Johnny Willemsen >> >Remedy IT >> >Postbus 101 >> >2650 AC Berkel en Rodenrijs >> >...

Re: Subject: Building ACE 5.3.1 on Mac OS X (Tiger) 10.4.2 was [ace-users] Building ACE on Mac OSX 10.4
Hi Jason, Thanks for using the PRF. >> ACE VERSION: 5.3.1 This version of ACE is ANCIENT. The forthcoming ACE 5.4.8 beta should work "out of the box" for Mac OS X Tiger. If you want a preview, please download the version in our CVS repo at http://cvs.doc.wustl.edu/ take care, Doug >> HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: Mac OS X 10.4.2 >> COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL): >> powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1 >> >> CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h: >> >> /* -*- C++ ...

[ace-bugs] Re: [ace-users] Re: native C++ exception support
Hi, > hi, > > Thanks for using the PRF. > > >> ACE VERSION: 5.4 > >> > >> HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: > >> SunOS pangea 5.8 Generic_117350-05 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-80 > >> > >> COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL): > >> gcc version 3.2 > >> > >> CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h: > >> #include "ace/config-sunos5.8.h" > >> > >> > >> CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_ma...

[ace-bugs] FW: building ACE 6.2.0/6.2.2 win XL C/C++ v12.1 on AIX7.1 results in compiler error when instantiating ace templates
--_004_80317163A516B94B988E1615F9FAFB1989DFD215otwlxg22opentex_ Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="_000_80317163A516B94B988E1615F9FAFB1989DFD215otwlxg22opentex_" --_000_80317163A516B94B988E1615F9FAFB1989DFD215otwlxg22opentex_ Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable To: ace-bugs@list.isis.vanderbilt.edu<mailto:ace-bugs@list.isis.vanderbilt.= edu> Subject: [area]: [synopsis] ACE VERSION: 6.2.2 HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: AIX 7.1 TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM, if different from HOST: COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL): THE $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h FILE [if you use a link to a platform- specific file, simply state which one]: config.h -> config-aix-7.h THE $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU FILE [if you use a link to a platform-specific file, simply state which one (unless this isn't used in this case, e.g., with Microsoft Visual C++)]: platform_aix_ibm.GNU CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/bin/MakeProjectCreator/config/default.features (used by MPC when you generate your own makefiles): AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED: [What example failed? What module failed to compile?] DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT: COMPILATION On Unix systems, did you run make realclean first? YES Our application fails to build with ACE6.2.0/6.2.2 on AIX 7.1 with AIX XL C= /C...

[ace-users] Re: Can't build ACE on AIX 5.2 #2
Hi Duane, Since you're using the OCI version of ACE+TAO please send your questions to taosupport@ociweb.com. Thanks, doug >> I have ACE 5.3a-OCI and TAO 1.3a-OCI which was running fine on AIX >> 5.1. My sysadmin updated to OS to AIX 5.2. I had link errors in my >> app and so decided to rebuild ACE and TAO. Now I can't build ACE. >> I've got a compile error. >> >> xlC_r -qflag=w:w -qstaticinline -qfuncsect -qtempinc >> -qsuppress=1540-1102:1500-010:1501-201:1540-198 -g -DACE_LACKS_RTTI -g >> qch...

RE: [ace-users] Changes required to build ACE under Interix -- Porting ACE to Interix (Microsoft Services For Unix) #2
Thanks Johnny! I downloaded a an entire clean ACE from CVS and it worked great! Now anybody can compile ACE under Interix. A few notes for those wanting to: Interix comes with a BSD style make, you need GNUmake. Make builds easily under Interix or there is a pre-built package at: http://www.interopsystems.com/tools/warehouse.htm You can also get CVS built under Interix from that site. Other than that the "Using the Traditional ACE/GNU Configuration" can be followed using: #include "ace/config-win32-interix.h" for the config.h header and: include $(A...

RE: [ace-users] Changes required to build ACE under Interix -- Porting ACE to Interix (Microsoft Services For Unix) #2
Thanks Johnny! I can see the patches via Web CVS but the synch to OCI CVS hasn't happened yet so I will have to wait until to tomorrow to do a full clean download and buld to verify the patches. I am going to do a full 'rm -r' on all my ACE stuff to verify anybody can build this under Interix. Thanks Again! Steve -----Original Message----- From: Johnny Willemsen [mailto:jwillemsen@remedy.nl] Sent: Monday, December 06, 2004 1:20 AM To: Frare, Steven A (Steven); ace-users@cs.wustl.edu Subject: RE: [ace-users] Changes required to build ACE under Interix -- Porting ACE to...

[ace-bugs] Re: [ace-users] What is reason that ACE::sock_error isn't called from strerr for WIN32? #2
Hi Boris, That works fine for now, though only because ACE_LACKS_STERROR is just defined for WinCE. But I'll make this change since we can always handle any new cases whether ACE_LACKS_STERROR as they arise! Thanks, Doug >> What do you think if make it like this: >> ACE_INLINE char * >> ACE_OS::strerror (int errnum) >> { >> #if defined (WIN32) >> if (error >= WSAEINTR && error <= WSASYSCALLFAILURE) >> { >> const char *errortext = ACE:sock_error (error); >> i...

Web resources about - Re: [ace-users] C++ Exception handling model for Win32 builds #2 - comp.soft-sys.ace

Samsung Galaxy Ace 4 User Reviews
Samsung Galaxy Ace 4 reviews written by Phone Arena users. You can read the opinion of each user and how they rate the phone in 11 categories. ...

Samsung Galaxy Ace 3 official: iPhone-alike size for the new user
Samsung has revealed another in its Galaxy series, the Galaxy Ace 3, now targeting entry-level smartphone users who want a pocket-friendly 4-inch ...