--- Original Message ---
From:"David Hauck" <davidh@netacquire.com>
Sent:Thu 5/31/07  6:55 pm
To:"Douglas C. Schmidt" <schmidt@dre.vanderbilt.edu>,ace-users@cse.wustl.edu,tao-users@cse.wustl.edu
Subj:RE: [ace-users] Would you like ACE to run great on your platform?

Hi Doug,

> Hi Folks,
>
>    Recent postings from Steve Huston and Johnny Willemsen reminded me
> I wanted to clarify a few things about the way in which support works
> for ACE+TAO+CIAO.  In the beginning (i.e., 1995 to 2003 or so),
> ACE+TAO were sponsored by companies and government agencies interested
> in doing R&D on middleware for distributed real-time and embedded
> systems.  During this phase, the DOC group had many staff/students who
> were funded to work on ACE+TAO and since the sponsors were motivated
> to create useful technology we had their blessing to spend some of our
> time supporting the user community, e.g., answering questions, fixing
> bugs, providing support for a wide range of OS/compiler/hardware
> platforms.
>
>    Now that ACE+TAO have matured our R&D sponsors are interested in
> funding new things, hence our work the past 3-4 years on model-driven
> engineering tools, CIAO/DAnCE, DDS, SOA, etc.  While these new
> projects are going quite well, the DOC group no longer has any funding
> to work directly on ACE+TAO,

Could you please fill me in on who controls when/how new ACE/TAO betas/releases occur? Perhaps this has already been handed over to
someone else and I just haven't noticed it ;)?

Thanks,
-David

> though of course we still use it heavily
> for our CIAO/DAnCE and DDS projects.  Fortunately, companies like OCI,
> PrismTech, Remedy, and Riverace are now well established providers of
> commercial support for ACE+TAO, and handle the bulk of the day-to-day
> new features and maintenance of the software.
>
>    The upshot of all this is that the ACE+TAO user community needs to
> understand that things they used to get for "free" (i.e., because
> someone else paid for it), such as supported platforms, quick turn
> around on bug fixes, etc. are now going to happen largely if
>
> . Users volunteer to do the bulk of the work and the QA and/or
>
> . The DOC group gets new sponsors to fund our work on ACE+TAO.
>
> As a result, I strongly encourage people to avail themselves of the
> services offered by the ACE+TAO commercial support providers if you
> have needs that go above and beyond what's already in the existing
> open-source baseline.
>
> Thanks,
>
>         Doug
>

> --
> Dr. Douglas C. Schmidt                       Professor and Associate Chair
> Electrical Engineering and Computer Science  TEL: (615) 343-8197
> Vanderbilt University                        WEB: www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/~schmidt
> Nashville, TN 37203                          NET: d.schmidt@vanderbilt.edu

Doug

Re: [ace-users] Would you like ACE to run great on your platform?
Hi David, for the past several years OCI, Remedy, Riverace, and Prismtech have taken turns doing the releases every 4-5 months or so. See the release announcements for examples of this. If you haven't noticed any changes then the process must be working well :) Doug --- Original Message --- From:"David Hauck" <davidh@netacquire.com> Sent:Thu 5/31/07 6:55 pm To:"Douglas C. Schmidt" <schmidt@dre.vanderbilt.edu>,ace-users@cse.wustl.edu,tao-users@cse.wustl.edu Subj:RE: [ace-users] Would you like ACE to run great on your platform? Hi Doug, > Hi Folks, > > Recent postings from Steve Huston and Johnny Willemsen reminded me > I wanted to clarify a few things about the way in which support works > for ACE+TAO+CIAO. In the beginning (i.e., 1995 to 2003 or so), > ACE+TAO were sponsored by companies and government agencies interested > in doing R&D on middleware for distributed real-time and embedded > systems. During this phase, the DOC group had many staff/students who > were funded to work on ACE+TAO and since the sponsors were motivated > to create useful technology we had their blessing to spend some of our > time supporting the user community, e.g., answering questions, fixing > bugs, providing support for a wide range of OS/compiler/hardware > platforms. > > Now that ACE+TAO have matured our R&D sponsors are interested in > funding new things, he...

[ace-users] Would you like ACE to run great on your platform?
Riverace has a new ACE platform sponsorship program designed to get ACE up and running great on more of today's new computing platforms at a lower cost to you. This program helps you get ACE tested on your favorite new platforms and can save you lots of money in the process.=20 Before this program, the ACE user community needed to wait until a single company wanted ACE ported to a new platform enough to pay the entire cost to port, test, and qualify ACE on a new platform. Many companies have born the burden for dozens of ACE ports over the years, and we are all very thankful for their foresight and investment.=20 Now, though, there's an even better way to get ACE up and running on new platforms. Riverace's new ACE platform sponsorship program can coordinate funding for new platforms across a number of sponsors, speeding up the porting process, and lowering the cost to support new ACE platforms. Everyone wins!=20 Read more about the ACE sponsorship program at http://www.riverace.com/sponsor.htm -- Steve Huston, Riverace Corporation Would you like ACE to run great on your platform? See http://www.riverace.com/sponsor.htm Hi Folks, Recent postings from Steve Huston and Johnny Willemsen reminded me I wanted to clarify a few things about the way in which support works for ACE+TAO+CIAO. In the beginning (i.e., 1995 to 2003 or so), ACE+TAO were sponsored by companies and government agencies interested in doing R&D on middle...

[tao-users] Re: [ace-users] How to use c++ native exception handling instead of ACE's while building ACE+TAO
Hi, >> My only guess is that all of the libs you are linking in your >> builds were not compiled with a consistent set of options. Right, my recommendation would be to completely blow away your existing ACE+TAO x.5 directory, download a fresh version, and start from a clean slate. It sounds like you may have things lying around from previous build attempts. Thanks, Doug -- Dr. Douglas C. Schmidt Professor and Associate Chair Electrical Engineering and Computer Science TEL: (615) 343-8197 Institute for Software Integrated Systems WEB: www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/~schmidt Vanderbilt University, Nashville TN, 37203 NET: d.schmidt@vanderbilt.edu ...

[tao-users] RE: [ace-users] ACE/TAO on Solaris 10
Hi, There have been some replies. People do have things working on Solaris and there have been made fixes in ACE/TAO. Could you wait another week or so and try the x.4.8 or try cvs, see http://cvs.doc.wustl.edu Regards, Johnny Willemsen Remedy IT Postbus 101 2650 AC Berkel en Rodenrijs The Netherlands www.theaceorb.nl / www.remedy.nl > Dear list members, > > (I sent this message couple of days ago and am unsure if it > was distributed, > thus re-sending it again. I apologize if you received it more > than once) > > I would like to give ...

[ace-users] [ace-user] problem on building ACE+TAO+CAIO
Dear, all. I have a problem on buliding ACE+TAO+CAIO. ACE VERSION: 5.5 HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: HOST Machine: Intel Pentium D 3.0 1GB OS: Windows XP Professional SP2 TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM Same with the HOST machine and OS THE $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h FILE #define ACE_HAS_MFC 1 #define ACE_NO_INLINE #define ACE_HAS_STANDARD_CPP_LIBRARY 1 #include "ace/config-win32.h" DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT: ACE+TAO+CAIO building SYNOPSIS: occurrance of syntax error during building ACE+TAO+CAIO DESCRIPTION: during building ACE+TAO+CAIO, syntax errors occurs at the point of enum definition in the file, options.h. Also, there are bunch of other errors. class ACE_Svc_Export Options { // = TITLE // Singleton that consolidates all Options for a gatewayd. public: // = Options that can be enabled/disabled. enum { // = The types of threading strategies. REACTIVE = 0, OUTPUT_MT = 1, INPUT_MT = 2, VERBOSE = 01, DEBUG = 02, SUPPLIER_ACCEPTOR = 04, CONSUMER_ACCEPTOR = 010, SUPPLIER_CONNECTOR = 020, CONSUMER_CONNECTOR = 040 }; one of them says that '}' is missing in front of '='. Did I misconfigure something? Thanks. - Je...

RE: [tao-users] Re: [ace-users] Re: Announcing the release of the new beta (ACE-5.4.10, TAO-1.4.10 and CIAO-0.4.10)
Hi, > > >> We encourage you to download the new beta, use it with your > > >> applications, and let us know soon if you encounter any problems > > >> since we plan to cut the x.5 release by February 28th. > > > > As per Wallace's comments, we have an aggressive schedule > for the x.5 > > release to meet the needs of some major sponsors. If > people can give > > x.4.10 a "test drive" in the next couple of days and report problems > > they encounter we'll try to ensure that we fix any >...

[tao-users] Re: [ace-users] timestamps incorrect in ACE+TAO .tar.gz
Hi > It has just come to my attention that there are many files in the > ACE+TAO .tar.gz file with timestamps showing '1970-01-05'. Obviously > this is wrong and is the only reason why my packages have been > rejected from Debian ("file(s) with a time stamp too ancient"). > > Is there a possibility that this will be fixed. Or should I just > 'touch' all the problematic files? Could you please run a touch on them? I don't know how this happened. Strange. Opening and fiddling with the distribution would make quite a few things goofy! If ...

[ace-users] RE: [tao-users] Borland Developer Studio 2006 with ACE/TAO
Hi, I'm curious about the current status of ACE/TAO and C++ Builder 2006. Borland shipped the promised fix/update some time ago, but I couldn't find anything about how it works with ACE/TAO. Regards Espen Harlinn ...

[tao-users] RE: [ace-users] Tao_idl core dumps during ACE/TAO build
Hi, Please upgrade to ACE+TAO x.4.7, which you can download from http://deuce.doc.wustl.edu/Download.html under the heading "latest beta kit". The DOC groups at Washington University, UC Irvine, and Vanderbilt University only provide "best effort" support for non-sponsors for the latest beta kit, as described in http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE_wrappers/docs/ACE-bug-process.html Thus, if you need more "predictable" help, I recommend that you check out http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/commercial-support.html for a list of companies tha...

Re: [ace-users] [tao-users] ACE/TAO ported to Sun Studio 12
Hi, > is this change included in the official release of ACT/TAO (and if yes > since which version)? This change will be part of the upcoming x.6.2 version. I am creating x.6.2 at this moment, when everything runs fine it will be available at the end of today. Regards, Johnny Willemsen Remedy IT Postbus 101 2650 AC Berkel en Rodenrijs The Netherlands www.theaceorb.nl / www.remedy.nl *** Integrated compile and test statistics see http://scoreboard.theaceorb.nl *** *** Commercial service and support for ACE/TAO/CIAO *** *** See http://www.theaceorb.nl/en/support.html *** ...

[ace-users] Re: [tao-users] ACE::set_handle_limit broken
Hi Eider, Thanks for the PRF! "Eider Oliveira" <eider.oliveira@gmail.com> wrote in message news:<2e53f4ef0409021132f3de615@mail.gmail.com>... > ACE VERSION: 5.4.1 > > HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: Linux > > > When at Select_Reactor.cpp:550 > ACE_TRACE ("ACE_Select_Reactor_T::ACE_Select_Reactor_T"); > > // First try to open the Reactor with the hard-coded default. > if (this->open (ACE_Select_Reactor_T<ACE_SELECT_REACTOR_TOKEN>::DEFAULT_SIZE, > 0, > ...

[tao-users] Re: [ace-users] The ACE ORB and Solaris
Hi, To ensure that we have proper version/platform/compiler information, please make sure you fill out the appropriate problem report form (PRF), which is in $ACE_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM $TAO_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM or in $ACE_ROOT/BUG-REPORT-FORM $TAO_ROOT/BUG-REPORT-FORM in older versions of ACE+TAO. Make sure to include this information when asking any questions about ACE+TAO since otherwise we have to "guess" what version/platform/compiler/options you've using, which is error-prone and slows down our responsiveness. >> does the ACE ORB run on...

RE: [tao-users] RE: [ace-users] XML service configuration no longer works with ACE/TAO 5.4.5/1.4.5
Hi, > > Hi Lothar > > > > > � � ACE VERSION: 5.4.5 > > > > Thanks for using the PRF form. Could you try to find the > problem and send > > us patches to fix this? > > > > Regards, > > > > Johnny Willemsen > > I have no problem committing some time to the problem. I do > however know as > much as nothing about the ACE XML parser and it's recent > changes. It seems to > me that (some) of the recent changes might have caused the > test failures. So > if someone working active...

[ace-users] RE: [tao-users] Borland Developer Studio 2006 with ACE/TAO #2
Hi, See http://www.remedy.nl/en/borland.html for an overview of the supported Borland products with TAO. Regards, Johnny Willemsen Remedy IT Postbus 101 2650 AC Berkel en Rodenrijs The Netherlands www.theaceorb.nl / www.remedy.nl > -----Original Message----- > From: Espen Harlinn [mailto:espen@harlinn.no] > Sent: donderdag 2 februari 2006 18:06 > To: jwillemsen@remedy.nl > Cc: ace-users@cs.wustl.edu > Subject: RE: [tao-users] Borland Developer Studio 2006 with ACE/TAO > > Hi, > > I'm curious about the current status of ACE/TAO...

[ace-users] RE: [tao-users] Borland Developer Studio 2006 with ACE/TAO #2
Hi, The x.4.8 version of ACE/TAO is supported with BCB2006, we have some linker warnings/errors in some configurations, Borland is working on these for Update2, but these are not causing a problem. See ACE_wrappers/ACE-INSTALL.html for info about how to use it. We deliver also commercial support for using BCB2006 with ACE/TAO. See www.theaceorb.nl for our services. Regards, Johnny Willemsen Remedy IT Postbus 101 2650 AC Berkel en Rodenrijs The Netherlands www.theaceorb.nl / www.remedy.nl > -----Original Message----- > From: Espen Harlinn [mailto:espen@harlinn...

Re: [ace-users] Has Anyone on the ACE Users Mailing List Successfully compiled ACE and TAO for Panther Mac OS X 10.3?
Hi Tom, >> Can anyone let me know how to successfully compile the >> latest stable release of ACE 5.4 and TAO 1.4 package >> on Apple Mac OS X 10.3 Panther? I doubt ACE+TAO x.4 will work with 10.3 Panther. >> I have the ACE+TAO+CIAO latest stable release working perfectly on >> my Red Hat LINUX 9.0 OS, but would like to see it running on Mac OS >> X 10.3. You're better off starting from the x.4.3 beta, which is available at http://deuce.doc.wustl.edu/Download.html Some other folks on the mailing list have been expressing their inte...

[ace-bugs] Re: [ace-users] ACE/TAO irc channel
Hi, > Does an ACE/TAO IRC channel exist? If so where? If not should we create one? Not that I know of. Maybe it is something some people could use but most of the core developers are already swamped with work and do their best to answer e-mails on the mailing lists, so adding another communication channel is not something they probably have time for the respond to. Johnny On Friday 29 April 2005 02:44, Johnny Willemsen wrote: > Hi, > > > Does an ACE/TAO IRC channel exist? If so where? If not should we create > > one? > > Not that I know of. M...

[ace-bugs] Re: [ace-users] test program failed on running Static library of ACE 5.3.1 on AMD64 Windows platform
Hi, Please use the PRF form when asking questions, else we can't help. Are you using for example normal windows, or the 64bit version. Regards, Johnny Willemsen Remedy IT Leeghwaterstraat 25 2811 DT Reeuwijk The Netherlands www.theaceorb.nl / www.remedy.nl "Meenakshi Vohra" <Meenakshi.Vohra@veritas.com> wrote in message news:<032B151E55B43D48ACD6B51922A2A277CB7860@svlxchcln6.enterprise.veritas.c om>... > Hi, > > I tried building ACE 5.3.1 on an AMD 64 bit Windows platform. After that I > tried to run the following test program...

[ace-bugs] Re: [ace-users] ACE
Hi, Thanks for using the PRF. >> ACE VERSION: 5.4.1 >> >> HP Server and HP-UX 11.1 >> >> aCC: HP ANSI C++ B3910B A.03.37 >> >> CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h : config-hpux-11.00.h >> >> CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU : >> platorm_hpux_aCC.GNU >> >> AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED: >> >> $ACE_ROOT/ace - Compiled successfully but >> >> $ACE_ROOT/ - failed to compile as shown below >> >> Installing gperf -> /home/umit...

[ace-users] [tao-users] Problem linking ACE/TAO
This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. ------=_NextPart_000_0042_01C67435.B64C4BE0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello, I have an application using ACE/TAO and I get a linking error trying to = build executable. ACE/TAO VERSION: 5.5 / 1.5 OPERATING SYSTEM: Win 2000 SP 4 COMPILER NAME and VERSION: VC++ 2005 Standard Edition CONTENTS of $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h: #define ACE_HAS_STANDARD_CPP_LIBRARY 1 #include "ace/config-win32.h" DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT: COMPILATION? NO LINKING? YES EXECUTION? N/A (doesn`t get that far) SYNOPSIS: I am getting linking error while I am trying to build executable. DESCRIPTION: In the makefile (win32/debug) the libraries ACED.lib and TAOD.lib are in = the LIBS. The error message is: 1>oe_frontendC.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: int __cdecl ACE_Log_Msg::log(enum ACE_Log_Priority,unsigned short const *,...)" (__imp_?log@ACE_Log_Msg@@QAAHW4ACE_Log_Priority@@PBGZZ) referenced in function "public: void __thiscall TAO::Any_Insert_Policy_AnyTypeCode_Adapter<int>::any_insert(class = CORBA::Any *,int const &)const " (?any_insert@?$Any_Insert_Policy_AnyTypeCode_Adapter@H@TAO@@QBEXPAVAny@CO= RBA @@ABH@Z) T...

[tao-users] [ace-users] Problem linking ACE/TAO
[...]

[ace-users] RE: [tao-users] Problems compiling ACE on an Alpha machine :-(
Hi, Thanks for using the PRF form > ACE VERSION: 5.5 > > HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: > > OSF1 wks37 V4.0 1229 alpha alpha > > TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM, if different from HOST: > COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL): > > wks37> g++ -dumpversion > 3.2.3 > > THE $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h FILE > > wks37> tail $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h > #include "ace/config-true64.h" Be aware that we haven't build for tru64 for more then a year. It is also one of the platforms for which we are considering to remove all support after x.5.1 has been released. > g++ -D_REENTRANT -DDIGITAL_UNIX=0x500 -O3 -g -fno-implicit-templates > -fno-strict-prototypes -DACE_HAS_EXPLICIT_TEMPLATE_INSTANTIATION > -I/home/karl/my-ACE/ACE_wrappers -DACE_HAS_EXCEPTIONS > -D__ACE_INLINE__ > -I.. -DACE_HAS_ACE_TOKEN -DACE_HAS_ACE_SVCCONF > -DACE_BUILD_DLL -c -fpic > -o .shobj/Local_Name_Space.o Local_Name_Space.cpp > cc1plus: unrecognized option `-fno-strict-prototypes' > make[2]: *** [.shobj/Local_Name_Space.o] Error 1 > make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/karl/my-ACE/ACE_wrappers/ace' > make[1]: *** [ACE] Error 2 > make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/karl/my-ACE/ACE_wrappers/ace' > make: *** [all] Error 2 > > > DESCRIPTION: > > The target platform is an Alpha machine...

[ace-bugs] Re: [ace-users] How to use c++ native exception handling instead of ACE's while building ACE+TAO
Hi, To ensure that we have proper version/platform/compiler information, please make sure you fill out the appropriate problem report form (PRF), which is in $ACE_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM $TAO_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM or in $ACE_ROOT/BUG-REPORT-FORM $TAO_ROOT/BUG-REPORT-FORM in older versions of ACE+TAO. Make sure to include this information when asking any questions about ACE+TAO since otherwise we have to "guess" what version/platform/compiler/options you've using, which is error-prone and slows down our responsiveness. > I know we can set exceptions = 1 or 0 in platform_macros.GNU > to use ACE's exception handling or C++'s native exception handling. > > But I am still not clear on which value should I set exceptions to if > I want to use only the C++'s native exception handling support. Then just set it to 1 which is the default. Regards, Johnny Willemsen Remedy IT Postbus 101 2650 AC Berkel en Rodenrijs The Netherlands www.theaceorb.nl / www.remedy.nl ------=_Part_4854_4331443.1142846841468 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline ACE VERSION: 5.5 HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: *Sparc, Solaris 10 * If on Windows based OS's, which version of WINSOCK do you use?: TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM, if different from HOST: COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AN...

[ace-users] Re: [ace-bugs] ACE Licensing Issue: ace/CLASSIX
Hi Michael, Thanks for using the PRF. >> ACE VERSION: 5.4 >> >> HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: >> HP rp8400 HP-UX 11iv1 >> >> TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM, if different from HOST: >> COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL): >> aCC >> >> CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h: >> >> CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU >> (unless >> this isn't used in this case, e.g., with Microsoft Visual C++): >...

Web resources about - Re: [tao-users] [ace-users] Would you like ACE to run great on your platform? - comp.soft-sys.ace