From: Balachandran Natarajan [mailto:bala@cs.wustl.edu]
Sent: 06 April 2004 13:38
To: james.eggleston@vega.de
Cc: tao-users@cs.wustl.edu
Subject: Re: [tao-users] Problems building ACE and TAO on SuSE Linux 9.0

Hi

> I'm having problems trying to build TAO (and in fact ACE as well) on SuSE
> 9.0.
>
> I downloaded the lastest BFO version (so ACE 5.4.1 and TAO 1.4.1) and went
> through the appropriate parts of the READMEs, web pages and so on for
Linux.
> Of the two build methods, I can't get either to work. :(  So then I tried
> (for simplicity) to just build ACE.5.4.1 alone. Again, no joy.

To build ACE with autoconf did you download ACE.tar.gz or ACE+TAO.tar.gz.
autoconf should be available only in ACE.tar.gz since only ace is covered
by autoconf.

THanks
Bala

> Trying to build ACE alone:
> ===================
> 1) For the autoconf system, going into build and doing "../configure"
> results in a 'bad interpreter" message - looking at the first line in
> configure, there seems to be an space between the "#!" and the "bin/sh"...
> making this a "/" results in some minor progress but another error soon
> appears "cannot run /bin/sh ../aux_config/config.sub" - this is a bit
wierd.
> BTW, I've used autoconf to build I build omniORB, so I don't *think* it's
> platform problem.
>
> 2) For the 'traditional' build system, I believe I have sucessfully set up
> the env variables for  ACE_ROOT an LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and the created links
> for config.h to config_linux.h and platform_macros.GNU to
> platform_linux.GNU, because typing "make" in the /ace directory kicks off
5
> mins of activity with lots of compilation, and ultimately a
libACE_5_4_1.so
> is created in "/ACE_wrappers/ace".... but then something goes awry. Typing
> "make" again (so all the compilation messages don't appear this time), I
get
> the messages:
>
> make[1]: Entering directory
`/home/jeggleston/Desktop/ACE/ACE_wrappers/ace'

> Makefile: /home/jeggleston/Desktop/ACE/ACE_wrappers/ace/Makefile.ace
>
> : command not foundsktop/ACE/ACE_wrappers/bin/ace_components: line 10:
> 'home/jeggleston/Desktop/ACE/ACE_wrappers/bin/ace_components: line 31:
> syntax error near unexpected token `in
> 'home/jeggleston/Desktop/ACE/ACE_wrappers/bin/ace_components: line 31: `
> case $1 in
> make[1]: *** [ACE_COMPONENTS] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jeggleston/Desktop/ACE/ACE_wrappers/ace'
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> I'm assuming that there is something missing from my system... or have I
> just completely missed an earlier step?
>
> Trying to build ACE and TAO
> =====================
> 1) For the autoconf system (which I know is currently only for ACE), there
> seems to be no "configure" file in the ACE_wrappers directory... this is a
> bit wierd. Surely it should be there just to build ACE?
>
> 2) For the trad mehtod similar overall problems... I have managed to build
> libTAO, but there seems to be some shell script kung fu that isn't
working.

> I have looked in the mailing lists and no one else seems to be having
these
> sort of problems, and it is fair to say this is probably a beginners Linux
> mistake as I'm primarily a Windows monkey in the Linux jungle. Having said
> that, I've managed omniORB without too many issues... and my more
> experienced collegues briefly had a look to no avail...
>
> Can anyone help???
> James.

> James Eggleston
> VEGA Informations-Technologien GmbH
> Hilpertstrasse 20A
> 64295 Darmstadt, Germany
> Internet : www.vega.de
> Tel. : +49 (0) 6151 8257-0
> Fax : + 49 (0) 6151 8257-99
>
> Tel. direct: + 49 (0) 6151 8257-14
> e-mail: james.eggleston@vega.de
> Notice of Confidentiality
> This transmission is intended for the named addressee(s) only. It contains
> information which may be confidential and which may also be privileged.
> Unless you are a named addressee (or authorised to receive it for the
> addressee) you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If
you
> have received this transmission in error please notify me.

Re: [tao-users] Problems building ACE and TAO on SuSE Linux 9.0
Hi > I'm having problems trying to build TAO (and in fact ACE as well) on SuSE > 9.0. > > I downloaded the lastest BFO version (so ACE 5.4.1 and TAO 1.4.1) and went > through the appropriate parts of the READMEs, web pages and so on for Linux. > Of the two build methods, I can't get either to work. :( So then I tried > (for simplicity) to just build ACE.5.4.1 alone. Again, no joy. To build ACE with autoconf did you download ACE.tar.gz or ACE+TAO.tar.gz. autoconf should be available only in ACE.tar.gz since only ace is covered by autoconf. THanks Bala > > Trying to build ACE alone: > =================== > 1) For the autoconf system, going into build and doing "../configure" > results in a 'bad interpreter" message - looking at the first line in > configure, there seems to be an space between the "#!" and the "bin/sh"... > making this a "/" results in some minor progress but another error soon > appears "cannot run /bin/sh ../aux_config/config.sub" - this is a bit wierd. > BTW, I've used autoconf to build I build omniORB, so I don't *think* it's a > platform problem. > > 2) For the 'traditional' build system, I believe I have sucessfully set up > the env variables for ACE_ROOT an LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and the created links > for config.h to config_linux.h and platform_macros.GNU to > platform_linux.GNU, because typing &...

[tao-users] Problems building ACE and TAO on SuSE Linux 9.0
Hi, I'm having problems trying to build TAO (and in fact ACE as well) on SuSE 9.0. I downloaded the lastest BFO version (so ACE 5.4.1 and TAO 1.4.1) and went through the appropriate parts of the READMEs, web pages and so on for Linux. Of the two build methods, I can't get either to work. :( So then I tried (for simplicity) to just build ACE.5.4.1 alone. Again, no joy. Trying to build ACE alone: =================== 1) For the autoconf system, going into build and doing "../configure" results in a 'bad interpreter" message - looking at the first line in configure, there seems to be an space between the "#!" and the "bin/sh"... making this a "/" results in some minor progress but another error soon appears "cannot run /bin/sh ../aux_config/config.sub" - this is a bit wierd. BTW, I've used autoconf to build I build omniORB, so I don't *think* it's a platform problem. 2) For the 'traditional' build system, I believe I have sucessfully set up the env variables for ACE_ROOT an LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and the created links for config.h to config_linux.h and platform_macros.GNU to platform_linux.GNU, because typing "make" in the /ace directory kicks off 5 mins of activity with lots of compilation, and ultimately a libACE_5_4_1.so is created in "/ACE_wrappers/ace".... but then something goes awry. Typing "make" again (so all the compilation messages don't appear thi...

[ace-bugs] RE: [ace-users] Building TAO on Linux RHEL 3.0 #2
Hi, > Well I updated from CVS on 12/05/2004 and now have a circular > dependency on the following: > > #error > "You should not include ObjectReferenceTemplateC.h directly, use > ObjectReferenceTemplate.h" Yes, that is an error that was there. > I will update again tomorrow evening... You guys must be > pushing for a release... The tip > of CVS breaks often on a push. Yes, we are working hard, but things break when having so many platforms and such a huge code base. At the moment we release things will be fine again. Johnny ...

Re: [tao-users] ACE 5.4.0 TAO 1.4 build problems in orbsvcs #2
Sorry, forgot the attachment. Makefile: /export/home/bcassan/ACE_wrappers/TAO/orbsvcs/orbsvcs/Makefile.RTKokyuEvent g++ -W -Wall -Wpointer-arith -pipe -O3 -D_REENTRANT -I/export/home/bcassan/ACE_wrappers -I/export/home/bcassan/ACE_wrappers/TAO -DACE_NDEBUG -DACE_USE_RCSID=0 -DACE_HAS_EXCEPTIONS -D__ACE_INLINE__ -I/export/home/bcassan/ACE_wrappers/TAO -I/export/home/bcassan/ACE_wrappers/TAO/orbsvcs -I/export/home/bcassan/ACE_wrappers/TAO/orbsvcs/orbsvcs/ESF -DTAO_RTKOKYUEVENT_BUILD_DLL -c -fPIC -o .shobj/EC_Kokyu_Filter.o Event/EC_Kokyu_Filter.cpp g++ -W -Wall -Wpointer-arith -pipe -O3 -D_REENTRANT -I/export/home/bcassan/ACE_wrappers -I/export/home/bcassan/ACE_wrappers/TAO -DACE_NDEBUG -DACE_USE_RCSID=0 -DACE_HAS_EXCEPTIONS -D__ACE_INLINE__ -I/export/home/bcassan/ACE_wrappers/TAO -I/export/home/bcassan/ACE_wrappers/TAO/orbsvcs -I/export/home/bcassan/ACE_wrappers/TAO/orbsvcs/orbsvcs/ESF -DTAO_RTKOKYUEVENT_BUILD_DLL -c -fPIC -o .shobj/EC_Kokyu_Filter_Builder.o Event/EC_Kokyu_Filter_Builder.cpp g++ -W -Wall -Wpointer-arith -pipe -O3 -D_REENTRANT -I/export/home/bcassan/ACE_wrappers -I/export/home/bcassan/ACE_wrappers/TAO -DACE_NDEBUG -DACE_USE_RCSID=0 -DACE_HAS_EXCEPTIONS -D__ACE_INLINE__ -I/export/home/bcassan/ACE_wrappers/TAO -I/export/home/bcassan/ACE_wrappers/TAO/orbsvcs -I/export/home/bcassan/ACE_wrappers/TAO/orbsvcs/orbsvcs/ESF -DTAO_RTKOKYUEVENT_BUILD_DLL -c -fPIC -o .shobj/EC_Kokyu_Scheduling.o Event/EC_Kokyu_Scheduling.cpp g++ -W -Wall -Wpointer-arith -pi...

Re: [ace-users] Building ACE+TAO x.6.4 with MFC using VS 9.0 #2
Hi Folks, The following posting is courtesy of Simon Massey. Thanks, Doug > Subject: RE: Building ACE+TAO x.6.4 with MFC using VS 9.0 > Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 04:09:01 -0400 > From: "Simon Massey" <Simon.Massey@prismtech.com> > To: "Johnny.Willemsen" <jwillemsen@remedy.nl>, > <> > Cc: <ace-users@cs.wustl.edu> > > As far as I know, if you define an microsoft MFC project, i.e. an application that IS an MFC application, that MWC/MPC project should include ace_mfc as a base project, either directly or by adding -base ace_mfc to the MWC/MPC command. This tells MWC/MPC to force ACE_HAS_MFC as a define onto the compiler line, thus all source has this macro defined correctly and a microsoft MFC application results. > > If you are not using MWC/MPC to generate your project files (for example creating a new MFC project), I believe this is also how microsoft do it, adding the _AFX define (or whatever it is) to the compiler lines; therefore to include ace MFC style libraries you would also need to add ACE_HAS_MFC as well. > > Isn't this the same "configurational" problem that you were talking about yesterday? > > I'll have a quick look at the missing CACE_Init_TestDlg class, as soon as I can, but as far as I was concerned I wasn't trying to get all of the tests to be MFC applications with my mods, just building MFC compatiable li...

[tao-bugs] Re: [tao-users] ACE 5.4.0 TAO 1.4 build problems in orbsvcs
Hi Bill, It looks to me like you haven't built Kokyu, which is in $ACE_ROOT/Kokyu/ Please try building this first and then build TAO. Chris/Venkita/Bala/Don, can we please figure out a way to keep the lack of Kokyu being built from causing the rest of orbsvcs from failing?! Thanks, Doug > Makefile: > /export/home/bcassan/ACE_wrappers/TAO/orbsvcs/orbsvcs/Makefile.RTKokyuEvent > > g++ -W -Wall -Wpointer-arith -pipe -O3 -D_REENTRANT > -I/export/home/bcassan/ACE_wrappers -I/export/home/bcassan/ACE_wrappers/TAO > -DACE_NDEBUG -DACE_USE_RCSID=0 -DACE_HAS_EXCEPTIONS -D__ACE_INLINE__ > -I/export/home/bcassan/ACE_wrappers/TAO > -I/export/home/bcassan/ACE_wrappers/TAO/orbsvcs > -I/export/home/bcassan/ACE_wrappers/TAO/orbsvcs/orbsvcs/ESF > -DTAO_RTKOKYUEVENT_BUILD_DLL -c -fPIC -o .shobj/EC_Kokyu_Filter.o > Event/EC_Kokyu_Filter.cpp > g++ -W -Wall -Wpointer-arith -pipe -O3 -D_REENTRANT > -I/export/home/bcassan/ACE_wrappers -I/export/home/bcassan/ACE_wrappers/TAO > -DACE_NDEBUG -DACE_USE_RCSID=0 -DACE_HAS_EXCEPTIONS -D__ACE_INLINE__ > -I/export/home/bcassan/ACE_wrappers/TAO > -I/export/home/bcassan/ACE_wrappers/TAO/orbsvcs > -I/export/home/bcassan/ACE_wrappers/TAO/orbsvcs/orbsvcs/ESF > -DTAO_RTKOKYUEVENT_BUILD_DLL -c -fPIC -o .shobj/EC_Kokyu_Filter_Builder.o > Event/EC_Kokyu_Filter_Builder.cpp > g++ -W -Wall -Wpointer-arith -pipe -O3 -D_REENTRANT > -I/export/home/bcassan/ACE_wrappers -I/...

[tao-users] Re: [ace-users] How to use c++ native exception handling instead of ACE's while building ACE+TAO
Hi, >> My only guess is that all of the libs you are linking in your >> builds were not compiled with a consistent set of options. Right, my recommendation would be to completely blow away your existing ACE+TAO x.5 directory, download a fresh version, and start from a clean slate. It sounds like you may have things lying around from previous build attempts. Thanks, Doug -- Dr. Douglas C. Schmidt Professor and Associate Chair Electrical Engineering and Computer Science TEL: (615) 343-8197 Institute for Software Integrated Systems WEB: www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/~schmidt Vanderbilt University, Nashville TN, 37203 NET: d.schmidt@vanderbilt.edu ...

[tao-users] RE: [ace-users] Tao_idl core dumps during ACE/TAO build
Hi, Please upgrade to ACE+TAO x.4.7, which you can download from http://deuce.doc.wustl.edu/Download.html under the heading "latest beta kit". The DOC groups at Washington University, UC Irvine, and Vanderbilt University only provide "best effort" support for non-sponsors for the latest beta kit, as described in http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ACE_wrappers/docs/ACE-bug-process.html Thus, if you need more "predictable" help, I recommend that you check out http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/commercial-support.html for a list of companies that will provide you with ACE+TAO commercial support. Regards, Johnny Willemsen Remedy IT Postbus 101 2650 AC Berkel en Rodenrijs The Netherlands www.theaceorb.nl / www.remedy.nl > TAO VERSION: 1.4.1 > ACE VERSION: 5.4.1 > > HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: > Dell PowerEdge750, Slackware Linux 10.1.0 > > TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM, if different from HOST: > COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL): > gcc version 3.3.4 > > AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED: > CosConcurrencyControl.idl failed due to tao_idl core dump > > DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT: > COMPILATION? Yes > $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h and > $ACE_ROOT/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU > included below > LINKING? No > EXECUTION? No > OTHER (please specify)? No > > SYNOPSIS: > TAO fails to build because tao_...

Re: [tao-users] ACE 5.4.0 TAO 1.4 build problems in orbsvcs
Hi Bill, Thanks for using the PRF. > TAO VERSION: 1.4 > ACE VERSION: 5.4 > > HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: > SunOS dali 5.8 Generic_108528-09 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-80 > > AREA/CLASS/EXAMPLE AFFECTED: > Kokyu...I think. The error message is pasted below. I don't see this attached - can you please resend it and cc' venkita@cs.wustl.edu and cdgill@cs.wustl.edu? Thanks, Doug > DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT: > COMPILATION? Yes > lrwxrwxrwx 1 bcassan 17 Jan 29 13:28 > /export/home/bcassan/ACE_wrappers/ace/config.h -> config-sunos5.8.h > > LINKING? Yes > lrwxrwxrwx 1 bcassan 23 Jan 29 13:28 > /export/home/bcassan/ACE_wrappers/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU -> > platform_sunos5_g++.GNU > > On Unix systems, did you run make realclean first? > Yes > > SYNOPSIS: > During the process of rebuilding TAO using gcc 3.3.2 > and Make 3.80 > the make process stops when trying to build orbsvcs. > The error > message is pasted below. > > DESCRIPTION: > > REPEAT BY: > cd $TAO_ROOT/tao > make realclean > make debug=0 optimize=1 exceptions=1 > > cd $TAO_ROOT/TAO_IDL > make realclean > make debug=0 optimize=1 exc...

[ace-users] [ace-user] problem on building ACE+TAO+CAIO
Dear, all. I have a problem on buliding ACE+TAO+CAIO. ACE VERSION: 5.5 HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: HOST Machine: Intel Pentium D 3.0 1GB OS: Windows XP Professional SP2 TARGET MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM Same with the HOST machine and OS THE $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h FILE #define ACE_HAS_MFC 1 #define ACE_NO_INLINE #define ACE_HAS_STANDARD_CPP_LIBRARY 1 #include "ace/config-win32.h" DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT: ACE+TAO+CAIO building SYNOPSIS: occurrance of syntax error during building ACE+TAO+CAIO DESCRIPTION: during building ACE+TAO+CAIO, syntax errors occurs at the point of enum definition in the file, options.h. Also, there are bunch of other errors. class ACE_Svc_Export Options { // = TITLE // Singleton that consolidates all Options for a gatewayd. public: // = Options that can be enabled/disabled. enum { // = The types of threading strategies. REACTIVE = 0, OUTPUT_MT = 1, INPUT_MT = 2, VERBOSE = 01, DEBUG = 02, SUPPLIER_ACCEPTOR = 04, CONSUMER_ACCEPTOR = 010, SUPPLIER_CONNECTOR = 020, CONSUMER_CONNECTOR = 040 }; one of them says that '}' is missing in front of '='. Did I misconfigure something? Thanks. - Je...

Re: [ace-users] Building ACE+TAO x.6.4 with MFC using VS 9.0
Hi, Thanks for using the PRF form > TAO VERSION: 1.6.4 > ACE VERSION: 5.6.4 >=20 > HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTEM: WinXP SP2 (Home Ed) >=20 > COMPILER NAME AND VERSION (AND PATCHLEVEL): MS VC++ 9.0(.21022.8), > .NET Framework 3.5, 2008 SDK >=20 > DESCRIPTION: >=20 > I'm trying to run ACE_Init_Test, which only does something useful if > ACE_HAS_MFC is defined. The TAO FAQ suggests I should #define it (as > a non-zero integer, I assume) in config.h, which I've done, but the > compiler produces the following error: >=20 > So it looks like Win2K is the oldest OS supported by SDK 2008. In > config-win32-common.h, I found >=20 > # define _WIN32_WINNT 0x0400 // pretend it's at least WinNT 4.0 >=20 > I changed 0x400 to 0x500 (Win2K) and then I could compile. So the > first question is, does anyone see any problem with this? Maybe it > should be (re)defined in config-win32-msvc-9.h instead? You can define this yourself in the config.h, that works. It is for = example also needed when you try to use ipv6 with msvc9. If you don't use mfc or ipv6 you can use 0x0400 as default > Minor issue: config-win32-msvc-9.h is not listed in the solution > Header Files for project ACE_vc9_Static (which means it's missing from > ace.mpc?). Yes, will add this, thanks > The next problem is, in ACE_Init_Test.cpp, the first non-comment line > is ...

[ace-users] RE: [tao-users] Borland Developer Studio 2006 with ACE/TAO #2
Hi, The x.4.8 version of ACE/TAO is supported with BCB2006, we have some linker warnings/errors in some configurations, Borland is working on these for Update2, but these are not causing a problem. See ACE_wrappers/ACE-INSTALL.html for info about how to use it. We deliver also commercial support for using BCB2006 with ACE/TAO. See www.theaceorb.nl for our services. Regards, Johnny Willemsen Remedy IT Postbus 101 2650 AC Berkel en Rodenrijs The Netherlands www.theaceorb.nl / www.remedy.nl > -----Original Message----- > From: Espen Harlinn [mailto:espen@harlinn.no] > Sent: donderdag 2 februari 2006 18:06 > To: jwillemsen@remedy.nl > Cc: ace-users@cs.wustl.edu > Subject: RE: [tao-users] Borland Developer Studio 2006 with ACE/TAO > > Hi, > > I'm curious about the current status of ACE/TAO and C++ Builder 2006. > Borland shipped the promised fix/update some time ago, but I > couldn't find > anything about how it works with ACE/TAO. > > Regards > Espen Harlinn > > ...

[tao-users] ACE 6.0.2 and TAO 2.0.2 RPMs available #2
Hi all, ACE 6.0.2 and TAO 2.0.2 RPMs are now available at OpenSuSE build service. OBS provides currently RPMs for: - CentOS 5 - Fedora 12/13/14 - Mandriva 2009.1/2010/2010.1 - RHEL 4/5/6 - SLES 9/11/11SP1 - OpenSuSE 11.2/11.3/11.4/Factory/Tumbleweed Regards, Johnny Willemsen Remedy IT http://scoreboard.theaceorb.nl/ http://www.orbzone.org http://www.theaceorb.nl ...

[ace-users] Re: ACE/TAO build problems on Solaris 2.8 using gcc 3.3.6
Hi Neal, >> I am trying to build ACE-5.5 and TAO-1.5 on a SPARC Solaris 2.8 system >> using gcc 3.3.6 and GNU make 3.80. >> >> The build is failing in ACE_wrappers/build/TAO/orbsvcs/orbsvcs (output >> included below) and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to >> what the problem may be. >> >> What is puzzling to me is that the lines in question are all comment >> lines. For example the "01.ps" invalid token on line 15 of >> CosProperty.idl is from the following comment line: >> >> // ftp://ftp.omg.org/pub/docs/1995/95-06-01.ps >> >> If I replace the "//" style comments with "/* ... */" style comments >> the errors go away. Wow, that's pretty weird. I recommend you upgrade to a newer version of GCC - perhaps there's a problem with the version of CPP that's being used on your platform since that's what the TAO IDL compiler uses under the hood to pre-process the IDL files. If you check out our Solaris autobuilds for TAO at http://www.dre.vanderbilt.edu/scoreboard/ you'll see that we're running with GCC 3.4.3 and 4.0.2 and they work fine. Jeff, do you see anything obvious here? Thanks, Doug >> If any additional information would be useful please let me know and I >> will be happy to provide it. >> >> Making all in orbsvcs >> /fs30/t...

[tao-users] ACE 6.0.2 and TAO 2.0.2 RPMs available
Hi all, ACE 6.0.2 and TAO 2.0.2 RPMs are now available at OpenSuSE build service. OBS provides currently RPMs for: - CentOS 5 - Fedora 12/13/14 - Mandriva 2009.1/2010/2010.1 - RHEL 4/5/6 - SLES 9/11/11SP1 - OpenSuSE /11.2/11.3/11.4/Factory/Tumbleweed Regards, Johnny Willemsen Remedy IT Check out the ORBzone community portal at http://www.orbzone.org Hi all, I noticed that the bugfix for the bug 3950 is not included in the release 6.0.2. Is there a reason for this (is further testing necessary here)? Thanks, Alexej Hi, > I noticed that the bugfix for the bug 3950 is not included in the > release 6.0.2. Is there a reason for this (is further testing > necessary here)? Before integrating 3950 the code has to be reviewed, than integrated, and than the scoreboard has to be monitored in detail. We don't have room at this moment to do that without funding, our time for handling bugzilla issues is very limited at this moment. Could you also add some new unit test to ACE_wrappers/tests for the ACE classes, I think these aren't explicitly tested at this moment. Johnny Hi Johnny, > ... We don't have > room at this moment to do that without funding, our time for handling > bugzilla issues is very limited at this moment. I know exactly what you mean :-) > Could you also add some new unit test to ACE_wrappers/tests for the ACE > classes, I think these aren't explicitly tested at this mo...

Re: [tao-users] Build/Install: ACE+TAO Build Nearly 6 Gig #2
Doug, > > It is not exactly correct. However, the documentation was written for TAO > 1.4a> and since then, MPC has changed a bit. It is largely accurate, but will > be> updated for the next TAO Developers Guide. > > Ok, that's fine. If we should rephrase what's in > ACE_ROOT/ACE-INSTALL.html please let me know and we'll update it. > Perhaps it should say: > > The MPC chapter from the TAO Developer's Guide is available at > http://downloads.ociweb.com/MPC/. Some of MPC has changed since this > versoin, but it is largely accurate. An updated version will be > available as newer versions of the TAO Developer's Guide are released. > In the meantime, please see the README and USAGE files in the MPC > directory. This looks great. Except I would spell version differently. :-) > > > > > Secondly, there is a bit of a chicken-and-egg problem. As a new user, > > > > I don't know enough about ACE+TAO to know what in need in a build and > > > > what I don't. However, I can't become familiar with ACE+TAO before > > > > I've managed to build and install the package. > > > > > > At this point, the best solution for newbies is either to > > > > > > 1. Build/install the default settings > > > > > > 2. Purchase pre-compiled binaries > > > > > > >...

Re: [tao-users] Build/Install: ACE+TAO Build Nearly 6 Gig #2
Steve, Thanks. This seems to have done the trick for me. Chuck -----Original Message----- From: Steve Totten [mailto:totten_s@ociweb.com] Sent: Monday, July 17, 2006 3:31 PM To: brian@ns.pigworks.openss7.net; Irvine, Chuck R [LTD] Cc: tao-users@mail.cse.wustl.edu Subject: Re: [tao-users] Build/Install: ACE+TAO Build Nearly 6 Gig Hi Chuck, Irvine, Chuck R [LTD] wrote: > Per the instructions in ACE_INSTALL.html, I've opened "ACE_vc8.sln" > into Visual Studio 2005. However, the instructions don't say > specifically which minimal set of projects under the top level node > ("Solution > ACE_vc8") must be built. The same goes for all of the projects under > "TAO_vc8.sln". To mimimize the size of the build, I'd like to build the > minimum set of projects ACE+TAO projects which will allow me to build a > Corba client which will access an existing Corba server. Can someone > identify this minimal set of projects? I recommend building the Naming_Service project in the TAO solution file. The dependencies are set up such that it will build everything you need to build simple clients and servers, plus the Naming Service, if you need to use it. > BTW, there is one project, "ACEXML_XML_Svc_Conf_Parser", that appears > in bold font when I open the ACE solution. There is also a bold > highlighted project in the TAO solution. What is the significance of &g...

Re: [tao-users] Build/Install: ACE+TAO Build Nearly 6 Gig #2
Hi Doug, IMHO, "simply use MPC to build precisely what you need" is a bit of a misnomer. First, for a new user initially only interested in evaluating TAO, having to figure out the intricacies of MPC before even installing TAO is a little frustrating. If you look at the MPC/USAGE and MPC/README files there is lots of detail there, lots of which will make little to no sense to the first time TAO user. Secondly, there is a bit of a chicken-and-egg problem. As a new user, I don't know enough about ACE+TAO to know what in need in a build and what I don't. However, I can't become familiar with ACE+TAO before I've managed to build and install the package. I guess my short-term suggestion would be to add to the install document a description of which of the VC++ solution packages are required for basic Corba development. Longer term, it would be helpful if ACE+TAO shipped with separate solution files for different ACE+TAO partitions. Alternately, a self-contained, brief how-to document on how to use MPC to create a minimal ACE+TAO environment would be useful. To tell you the truth, I basically gave up on using MPC and have settled on the approach of selectively building individual VC++ solution projects. BTW, pre-compiled bianaries are not available for the most recent version of ACE+TAO - correct? Thanks, Chuck -----Original Message----- From: tao-users-bounces@mail.cse.wustl.edu [mailto:tao-users-bounces@mail.cse.wu...

Re: [ace-users] How to use c++ native exception handling instead of ACE's while building ACE+TAO #2
Hi, > However, all the codes are stub and skelton files generated from IDL > files. So I am puzzled. It sounds to me like you have do something like the following: .. Build TAO's ORB services using -Ge 2 option at some point, which would leave lots of stubs/skeletons around with the emulated exceptions. .. Then later gone back and rebuilt ACE+TAO using native exceptions and -Ge 1, but not cleaned up the stubs/skeletons generated earlier. That's why I recommend you TOTALLY start over from scratch and see if things work better. If this all seems like too much effort, please go ahead and purchase a precompiled version of ACE+TAO at nominal cost from OCI <http://www.theaceorb.com>. Thanks, Doug ------=_Part_9834_13545624.1143000995070 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline Hi, Thanks! Now I am just studying TAO. I have studied the codes. For example, for the warning: "MyNotifDefs_s.hh", line 160: Warning: POA_MyDefinitions::MyNotifDefs::MyCa= l lback::_is_a Hides the virtual function TAO_ServantBase::_is_a(const char*, CORBA::Environment&) in a virtual base. I read the codes in tao/PortableServer/Servant_Base.h and tao/Abstract_Servant_Base.h, especially the virtual function _is_a (...). I comment the line "CORBA::Environment&" in such virtual functions and then the warnin...

RE: [ace-users] How to use c++ native exception handling instead of ACE's while building ACE+TAO #2
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------_=_NextPart_001_01C64CE3.591E106C Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, =20 >From the errors below, it looks like: =20 - You have either overridden the base class method _is_a() when it needs no overriding, or you have declared another method with the same name in your implementation class. =20 - You have used throw specs in methods and then have their implementations throw exceptions not in the list. =20 - You have used methods in ACE_Array_Map that don't exist. =20 =20 None of these things is related to exception handling, at least, to the question of whether exception handling is native or emulated. =20 Jeff _____ =20 From: Ji Soo [mailto:mycorba@gmail.com]=20 Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 1:51 AM To: Jeff Parsons Cc: Douglas C. Schmidt; ace-users@cs.wustl.edu Subject: Re: [ace-users] How to use c++ native exception handling instead of ACE's while building ACE+TAO =09 =09 Hi,=20 =20 Now I have download a fresh TAO's source package and built it. I compiled an idl file with tao_idl. =20 The command line is : tao_idl -Sc -Sp -Ge 2 -hc _c.hh -hs _s.hh -cs _c.cc -ss _s.cc -ci _c.i -si _s.i -Wb,pre_include=3Dace/pre.h -Wb,post_include=3Dace/post.h -I. MyTest.idl. =20 And then I compile the generated stub and skelton codes with my implementation codes. The command line is: ...

RE: [ace-users] How to use c++ native exception handling instead of ACE's while building ACE+TAO #2
Hi, > >> In fact, I built ACE + TAO with all the default configuration. > >> Just created one file config.h in ACE_wrappers/ace, which > includes one line= > >> : > >> #include "ace/config-sunos5.10.h", and another file > >> ACE_wrappers/include/makeinclude/platform_macros.GNU, > which includes only > >> one line: > $(ACE_ROOT)/include/makeinclude/platform_sunos5_sunc++.GNU. > >> > >> Then I cd into ACE_wrappers/ace and run "gmake", and then cd into > >> ACE_wrappers/apps/gperf and ACE_wrappers/TAO and run "gmake". > >> There seems no problems during the building except > warnings about some > >> modules missed such as "x11" and "SSL". > >> > >> Yes, there is no CORBA::Environment & in the methods of > those generated stu= > >> b > >> and skelton files from my test IDL files. > >> > >> I mean there are macros such as ACE_ENV_ARG_DECL_WITH_DEFAULTS > >> in the methods of those *.h and *.cpp files in the > downloaded TAO's source > >> package (e.g. the _is_a(...) functions in > >> ACE_wrappers/TAO/tao/PortableServer/Servant_Base.h and > >> ACE_wrappers/TAO/tao/PortableServer/Servant_Base.cpp). So > I think it's not > >> related to building ACE +TAO. The macros...

[ace-users] [tao-users] Problem linking ACE/TAO
This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. ------=_NextPart_000_0042_01C67435.B64C4BE0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello, I have an application using ACE/TAO and I get a linking error trying to = build executable. ACE/TAO VERSION: 5.5 / 1.5 OPERATING SYSTEM: Win 2000 SP 4 COMPILER NAME and VERSION: VC++ 2005 Standard Edition CONTENTS of $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h: #define ACE_HAS_STANDARD_CPP_LIBRARY 1 #include "ace/config-win32.h" DOES THE PROBLEM AFFECT: COMPILATION? NO LINKING? YES EXECUTION? N/A (doesn`t get that far) SYNOPSIS: I am getting linking error while I am trying to build executable. DESCRIPTION: In the makefile (win32/debug) the libraries ACED.lib and TAOD.lib are in = the LIBS. The error message is: 1>oe_frontendC.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: int __cdecl ACE_Log_Msg::log(enum ACE_Log_Priority,unsigned short const *,...)" (__imp_?log@ACE_Log_Msg@@QAAHW4ACE_Log_Priority@@PBGZZ) referenced in function "public: void __thiscall TAO::Any_Insert_Policy_AnyTypeCode_Adapter<int>::any_insert(class = CORBA::Any *,int const &)const " (?any_insert@?$Any_Insert_Policy_AnyTypeCode_Adapter@H@TAO@@QBEXPAVAny@CO= RBA @@ABH@Z) T...

[tao-users] [ace-users] Problem linking ACE/TAO
[...]

[tao-users] Re: Problem building ACE+TAO on HPUX-11
Hi Abhay, >Iam building ACE-5.3.1+TAO-1.3.1 on HPUX11 using gmake. I recommend that you upgrade to ACE+TAO x.3.6, which is available from http://deuce.doc.wustl.edu/Download.html Moreover, to ensure that we have proper version/platform/compiler information, please make sure you fill out the appropriate problem report form (PRF), which is in $ACE_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM $TAO_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM or in $ACE_ROOT/BUG-REPORT-FORM $TAO_ROOT/BUG-REPORT-FORM in older versions of ACE+TAO. Make sure to include this information when asking any questions about ACE+TAO since otherwise we have to "guess" what version/platform/compiler/options you've using, which is error-prone and slows down our responsiveness. Please note, moreover, that the DOC groups at Washington University, UC Irvine, and Vanderbilt University do not have access to HPUX 11, so if you need more "predictable" help on this platform, I recommend that you check out http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/commercial-support.html for a list of companies that will provide you with ACE+TAO commercial support. Thanks, Doug >The compiler which Iam using is aCC. >After extracting it, and setting the ACE_ROOT, I went to >cd $ACE_ROOT/TAO >ACE_wrappers/TAO directory. >I gave the command: >gmake debug=3D0, but after building some of the files, it gave me an = error >saying that: > >basically the Utils directory under TAo/tao/Utils is not compiling = under ...

Web resources about - RE: [tao-users] Problems building ACE and TAO on SuSE Linux 9.0 #2 - comp.soft-sys.ace