Re: [tao-users] Question about some tests in TAO #2 #2

Hi Abhi,

> Guess I need to re-read chapter 3 of NPv2 to clear my concepts on
> Reactor & concurrency ( and how they differ).

While it's useful to read this chapter it's not going to shed any
light on the question you asked since this is really more of a TAO
configuration issue than an ACE Reactor issue.

> Any other docs you would recommend?

I recommend that you read the dicsussion of the various TAO run-time
options that are available at

TAO_ROOT/docs/configurations.html
TAO_ROOT/docs/Options.html

which are also described in the OCI TAO 1.3 Developer's Guide
<www.theaceorb.com/product/>.

take care,

        Doug
0
schmidt7304 (285)

RE: [ace-users] [tests] : questions about ACE and TAO tests #2
I am running the latest ACE+TAO release on a Windows XP platform with Windows Visual Studio.NET 2003 Pro. I have built the TAOACE solution (after removing the SSL projects and declaring ACEXML a dependency of ACEXML_Parser), but I am having problems with the ACE and TAO tests. The ACE tests don't generate any output when the EXE files are run (in a DOS box). When I open the TAO test workspace and convert the projects, I get a lot of "The project XXX cannot be added to the current solution because a project with the same name or project filename already exists in the solution." Certain projects (like Param_Test) are not appearing in the TAO_tests solution. Is the TAO_tests workspace supposed to have all the TAO tests? Is there any doumentation about the tests? I didn't see any in the Doxygen files or on the ACE website. -Thanks! Lloyd Matthews ...

Re: [tao-users] Question about some tests in TAO #2
Hi > I have some confusion about the use of the following in the svc.conf > in <ACE_wrappers>/TAO/performance-tests/Cubit/TAO/IDL_Cubit > directory: Okay.. > -ORBReactorType select_st -ORBInputCDRAllocator null > -ORBConnectionCacheLock null -ORBFlushingStrategy blocking" > > static Client_Strategy_Factory "-ORBProfileLock null > -ORBClientConnectionHandler RW" > > static Server_Strategy_Factory "-ORBConcurrency thread-per-connection > > How is it possible to use "select_st" for the Reactor (which > implies single thread for the Reactor) and "-ORBConcurrency > thread-per-connection". Since there is only one thread doing > the multiplexing and handling the requests? Why not? In thread-per-connection, threads that are spawned do not run the reactor. Only the main tread runs the reactor (which is basically to accept new connections). > Also in that directory there are several svc.conf.* files. My > impression (based on the source files) is that it is ok to > rename them to svc.conf to perform that specific test. Is > this correct? You can also use -ORBSvcConf <svc_conf_file_name> option whie running the executable. HTH Thanks Bala ...

[tao-users] ACE 6.0.2 and TAO 2.0.2 RPMs available #2
Hi all, ACE 6.0.2 and TAO 2.0.2 RPMs are now available at OpenSuSE build service. OBS provides currently RPMs for: - CentOS 5 - Fedora 12/13/14 - Mandriva 2009.1/2010/2010.1 - RHEL 4/5/6 - SLES 9/11/11SP1 - OpenSuSE 11.2/11.3/11.4/Factory/Tumbleweed Regards, Johnny Willemsen Remedy IT http://scoreboard.theaceorb.nl/ http://www.orbzone.org http://www.theaceorb.nl ...

[tao-users] Re: TAO #2 #2
Hi Martin, Please make sure to send all questions related to TAO to the TAO mailing list or ACE+TAO newsgroup, rather than to comp.object.corba directly. See http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/TAO-mail.html for more info on how to access these resources. >> Is there any particular reason for the excessive use of C++ macros >> throughout the entire ACE/TAO codebase? ACE+TAO use macros to improve portability across OS platforms and C++ compilers configurations. If you have suggestions on how to achieve this portability without using macros please let us know. Moreover, depending on what compiler/OS platform you're actually using, you can ignore many/most of the macros in *your* application code, i.e., these macros are almost entirely used *internally* in the ACE+TAO source code to make *it* more portable and shouldn't affect your application code much at all. >> I don't have an agenda against their use, however overusing them >> makes the code look cryptic, as though it isn't C++ anymore, but >> something else... I've also looked at another popular ORB, MICO, >> and its code seems much cleaner... Not to start a flame war here, but I don't think MICO runs on as many OS platforms and compiler combinations as ACE+TAO do. Take care, Doug -- Dr. Douglas C. Schmidt, Professor TEL: (615) 343-8197 Electrical Engineering and Computer Science FAX: (615) 343-7440 Vanderbilt University ...

[ace-users] RE: [tao-users] Borland Developer Studio 2006 with ACE/TAO #2
Hi, The x.4.8 version of ACE/TAO is supported with BCB2006, we have some linker warnings/errors in some configurations, Borland is working on these for Update2, but these are not causing a problem. See ACE_wrappers/ACE-INSTALL.html for info about how to use it. We deliver also commercial support for using BCB2006 with ACE/TAO. See www.theaceorb.nl for our services. Regards, Johnny Willemsen Remedy IT Postbus 101 2650 AC Berkel en Rodenrijs The Netherlands www.theaceorb.nl / www.remedy.nl > -----Original Message----- > From: Espen Harlinn [mailto:espen@harlinn.no] > Sent: donderdag 2 februari 2006 18:06 > To: jwillemsen@remedy.nl > Cc: ace-users@cs.wustl.edu > Subject: RE: [tao-users] Borland Developer Studio 2006 with ACE/TAO > > Hi, > > I'm curious about the current status of ACE/TAO and C++ Builder 2006. > Borland shipped the promised fix/update some time ago, but I > couldn't find > anything about how it works with ACE/TAO. > > Regards > Espen Harlinn > > ...

Re: [tao-users] Need help running TAO Hello Test on Tornado 2.2
Hi, The short answer is that the thing you are trying to achieve doesn't work. The long answer has much more if's. First, VxWorks 5.5.1 support out of the box is available starting with TAO 1.4.8, any version before that only had partial support and a lot of known problems. The best version for VxWorks 5.5.1 at this moment is TAO 1.5.3 which we released recently. This will build and work out of the box for ppc and x86. But, you are trying to use SimNT which is a problem at this moment. We as Remedy IT are commercially supporting VxWorks with ACE/TAO/CIAO. We first tried to build for SimNT already more then a year ago and found several problems in the compiler. Last august we did get a compiler update from WindRiver with which we have been able to run the TAO Hello server in the simulator and running the Hello client on Windows. To be able to do this we had to make huge changes to the build rules of ACE/TAO to add several special steps in the linking stage of the executable to get something we could start. All these changes are not available in the distribution yet because the work isn't finished. We did a make in the TAO/tests directory and already found a new problem which again seems to be something in the compiler which we are investigating at this moment. >From our side we only deliver VxWorks support as part of our commercial services. As part of the services we can share our findings and how we have been able to build and run t...

[tao-users] ACE 6.0.2 and TAO 2.0.2 RPMs available
Hi all, ACE 6.0.2 and TAO 2.0.2 RPMs are now available at OpenSuSE build service. OBS provides currently RPMs for: - CentOS 5 - Fedora 12/13/14 - Mandriva 2009.1/2010/2010.1 - RHEL 4/5/6 - SLES 9/11/11SP1 - OpenSuSE /11.2/11.3/11.4/Factory/Tumbleweed Regards, Johnny Willemsen Remedy IT Check out the ORBzone community portal at http://www.orbzone.org Hi all, I noticed that the bugfix for the bug 3950 is not included in the release 6.0.2. Is there a reason for this (is further testing necessary here)? Thanks, Alexej Hi, > I noticed that the bugfix for the bug 3950 is not included in the > release 6.0.2. Is there a reason for this (is further testing > necessary here)? Before integrating 3950 the code has to be reviewed, than integrated, and than the scoreboard has to be monitored in detail. We don't have room at this moment to do that without funding, our time for handling bugzilla issues is very limited at this moment. Could you also add some new unit test to ACE_wrappers/tests for the ACE classes, I think these aren't explicitly tested at this moment. Johnny Hi Johnny, > ... We don't have > room at this moment to do that without funding, our time for handling > bugzilla issues is very limited at this moment. I know exactly what you mean :-) > Could you also add some new unit test to ACE_wrappers/tests for the ACE > classes, I think these aren't explicitly tested at this mo...

Re: [tao-users] TAO: SINGLE_THREAD_MODEL #2 #2
Hi > > Yes, I mean from the master server to the slave servers. "Transactional > > mulitcast" sounds very nice, would like to give it y try. > > You can find an example of how to use it in CVS version of ACE in > $(ACE_ROOT)/examples/TMCast/Memeber (README has some information on > how everything works). > > For a more real-life usage of TMCast you can check RolyPoly example > which is a prototype application for TAO Fault Tolerant Infrastructure. > The example is in CVS in 'oci_haft_branch' branch in=20 > $(ACE_ROOT)/TAO/orbsvcs/examples/FaultTolerant/RolyPoly.=20 > > I doubt you will be able to build it since this branch is in the=20 > middle of merging. You can read README and study the code however. You can take a peek at all of the above from here http://cvs.doc.wustl.edu/viewcvs.cgi/ For accessing the branches, use the branch id. Else it will show you the main trunk. Thanks Bala ...

Re: [tao-users] TAO-AMH #2 #2
Hi Mayur, > I checked the repo. There are no examples of using AMI and AMH together > in a middle server. All the tests and examples are the usual two tiers: > client and server. > > In the course of running the benchmarks, I'll commmit in an example of a > three tier mechanism. Ok, thanks. Rosane, please contact Mayur if you'd like a copy of this example. Thanks, Doug Rosane, >>I checked the repo. There are no examples of using AMI and AMH together >>in a middle server. All the tests and examples are the usual two tiers: >>client and server. >> >>In the course of running the benchmarks, I'll commmit in an example of a >>three tier mechanism. > > > Ok, thanks. Rosane, please contact Mayur if you'd like a copy of this > example. As it happens, a colleague of mine is in the midst of writing an article on precisely this topic. The article will soon be available here: http://www.ociweb.com/cnb/index.html It will include an example that uses AMI and AMH together in the middle tier. We would be happy to let you know when the article comes out and we will make the example source code available for download. Good luck! Steve -- ---------------------------------------------------------------- Steve Totten, Principal Software Engineer Object Computing, Inc. (OCI) http://www.ociweb.com/ http://www.theaceorb.com/ -----------------------------------------------------...

[tao-users] RE: [ace-users] Re: How to use Any>>=OctetSeq in TAO 1.3.6? #2
Hi, > > Heiko, could you try to add TAO_Export to front of the operators in > > OctetSeqA.h and then rebuild TAO and you app. I think the linker > > errors should be gone. > > this is the solution! Thank you :-) Thanks for the feedback. I have just committed the fix into the repo and this will be in the 1.4 release. Regards, Johnny Willemsen Remedy IT Leeghwaterstraat 25 2811 DT Reeuwijk The Netherlands www.theaceorb.nl / www.remedy.nl ...

[tao-users] RE: [ace-users] Linking Errors. #2 #2
Hi, Remove the following line from your makefile: $OPTIONS = -DACE_BUILD_DLL -DTAO_FTRTEVENT_BUILD_DLL The ACE_BUILD_DLL must only be set when you build the ACE dll, the TAO_FTRTEVENT_BUILD_DLL should only be set when you build the FTRTEVENT dll. Johnny > Hi Kitty, > > > The above errors doesn't make sense. Please make sure you > have the correct > > settings for LD_LIBRARY_PATH etc. BTW, which Makefiles are > you using ? The > > ones shipped with ACE/TAO or generated from MPC or ??? > > > > I am using my own Makefile. (I have listed each command in > the prf.txt) > > I have attached the PRF as .txt file as it is a bit long. > > Thanks and Regards > Pavan U M. > ...

Re: [tao-users] question about tao #2
Hi Poplar, I recommend you check out http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/PDF/corba4.pdf for a tutorial that explains how/why to write your CORBA servers properly using dynamic memory allocation. Thanks, Doug >> ACE Version: >> This is ACE version 5.4, released Wed Jan 14 18:45:46 2004. >> HOST MACHINE and OPERATING SYSTM: >> P4 1.6Ghz Windows 2000 >> CONTENTS OF $ACE_ROOT/ace/config.h >> -- Not relevant to question >> COPY OF PLATFORM_MACROS_GNU (points to platform_interix.GNU) >> -- Not relevant to question >> >> >> I use object-factory to generate a object.the object��factory servant's create-object code is as followings: >> ::Test::show_ptr Test_show_factory_i::create_show (const char * show_symbol) >> ACE_THROW_SPEC ((CORBA::SystemException)) >> { >> >> // Create the servant >> Test_show_i show_i; >> Test::show_var show=show_i._this (); >> return Test::show::_duplicate(show); >> } >> >> >> my client.cpp code is as followings: >> int main (int argc, char* argv[]) >> { >> try >> { >> CORBA::Object_var tmp_ref; // For temporary object references. >> // First initialize the ORB >> CORBA::ORB_var orb =CORBA::ORB_init (argc, argv, >> "&quo...

Re: [tao-users] question about tao #2
Hi Poplar, >> If I use "create_reference_with_id" function to generate CORBA >> object,how can I make this object associated with a servant?Is it >> to use"servant manager"? There are examples of how to do this in our C++ Report column at http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/PDF/C++-report-col14.pdf If you search for "create_reference_with_id" in the TAO_ROOT/examples/POA/ directory you'll find a bunch of examples there, as well. Take care, Doug -- Dr. Douglas C. Schmidt, Professor TEL: (615) 343-8197 Electrical Engineering and Computer Science FAX: (615) 343-7440 Vanderbilt University WEB: www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ Nashville, TN 37203 NET: d.schmidt@vanderbilt.edu ...

[tao-users] RE: [ace-users] Error in $TAO_ROOT/tao on Cygwin #2
Hi, Thanks for the info, but I doubt this is a good change. At the moment I have sponsoring for improving the Cywin support we will setup a static build and monitor the status daily. Johnny > -----Original Message----- > From: Daniella Malin [mailto:daniella@lmtgtm.org] > Sent: donderdag 7 oktober 2004 17:13 > To: Johnny Willemsen > Cc: 'Daniella Malin'; 'Russ Leach'; 'Tao-Users' > Subject: Re: [ace-users] Error in $TAO_ROOT/tao on Cygwin > > Comments below > > Johnny Willemsen wrote: > > >Hi, > > > > > > > >>You suggested that I check if the > >>ACE_Wchar_Codeset_Translator is linked > >>into the ACE lib. > >>What I find is that the file in which WChar_Codeset_Translator is > >>defined, CDR_Stream.h, is > >>in the ACE lib and other classes defined in that file, such as > >>ACE_OutputCDR are linked into > >>the ACE lib but WChar_Codeset_Translator is not. > >>In fact, > >> > nm libACE.a | grep Translator > >>yields nothing. > >> > >>Since this step wasn't a problem in version x.4.1 I compared > >>CDR_Stream.h in the two > >>versions but nothing jumps out as the possible cause. > >> > >>You also suggested that I check that when you build x.4.2 I > don't link > >>by acc...

[tao-users] RE: [tao-announce] ACE+TAO+CIAO-x.4.2 released
> . Initial support for new Linux sys_epoll() interface in > Dev_Poll_Reactor. The obsolete Linux /dev/epoll interface is no > longer supported. For full (hopefully final) support (patch for ACE 5.4.2) see: http://www.eko.net.pl/~jarek/ace/dev_poll_reactor/20040801/Dev_Poll_Reactor.cpp.diff Please let me know about any problems. Regards, Jarek Jaroslaw Nozderko GSM +48 601131870 / Kapsch (22) 6075013 jaroslaw.nozderko@polkomtel.com.pl IT/CCBS/RS - Analyst Programmer Hi, On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 01:44, Jaros�aw Nozderko wrote: > > . Initial support for new Linux sys_epoll() interface in > > Dev_Poll_Reactor. The obsolete Linux /dev/epoll interface is no > > longer supported. > > For full (hopefully final) support (patch for ACE 5.4.2) see: > > http://www.eko.net.pl/~jarek/ace/dev_poll_reactor/20040801/Dev_Poll_Reactor.cpp.diff > > Please let me know about any problems. Jarek's patch is also available in our CVS HEAD branch. Thanks Jarek! -Ossama ...

Re: [tao-users] ACE 5.3.5 + TAO 1.3.5 + CIAO 0.3.5 beta released #2 #2
Hi Alex, > What are OCI's plan's for a supported TAO 1.4 release and developer > guide? Will this effect the release of the 1.3 guide? This is an excellent question - I'm sure Malcolm Spence will pitch in when he has a chance and I suspect that OCI will be supporting TAO 1.4 in due time. None of the changes in TAO 1.4 should affect the relevance of the info in the TAO 1.3 developer's guide - there's just more new stuff to document as time permits. Take care, Doug ...

RE: [tao-users] TAO Clients timeout. #2 #2
Hi, Thanks for the help. I looked it up in the article and implemented as described in an object level timeout. Regards, Vladimir. -----Original Message----- From: Douglas C. Schmidt [mailto:schmidt@cs.wustl.edu] Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 6:17 PM To: Vladimir Naylov Cc: tao-users@cs.wustl.edu Subject: Re: [tao-users] TAO Clients timeout. Hi Vladimir, > How can I define CORBA request timeout values in CORBA clients. > What I need is to specify a timeout for a single interface and not for > all interfaces. Please see TAO_ROOT/tests/Timeout/ and read the C++ Report column at http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/PDF/C++-report-col19.pdf for more info. Also, to ensure that we have proper version/platform/compiler information, please make sure you fill out the appropriate problem report form (PRF), which is in $ACE_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM $TAO_ROOT/PROBLEM-REPORT-FORM or in $ACE_ROOT/BUG-REPORT-FORM $TAO_ROOT/BUG-REPORT-FORM in older versions of ACE+TAO. Make sure to include this information when asking any questions about ACE+TAO since otherwise we have to "guess" what version/platform/compiler/options you've using, which is error-prone and slows down our responsiveness. Thanks, Doug ...

RE: [tao-users] TAO: Exception TRANSIENT #2 #2
Hi, The transient exception on the narrow means that the server for the object cannot be reached (see the Advanced Corba book). Did you have had success connecting to the server using a java corba client? Maybe enable logging in the client using "-ORBDebug -ORBDebugLevel 10" and see if you can find more. This should be possible but from here I can not really see what your problem is. Try to use a java corba client and see if things work correctly and then have a try with logging enabled. Johnny > -----Original Message----- > From: aaa20@tid.es [mailto:aaa20@tid.es] > Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2004 9:21 AM > To: Johnny Willemsen > Cc: 'tao-users' > Subject: Re: [tao-users] TAO: Exception TRANSIENT > > Hi, > > I already have done this, but the result and exception throws is the > same as before. What is the reason from TRANSIENT exception? Can be > related with the fact that the server is developed with jdk? > > Thank you very much > Anastasia > > Johnny Willemsen escribi�: > > >Hi, > > > >Change the way your start the client. Just do > > > >Client IOR:12341234....... > > > >And then use argv[1] in the code. > > > >Regards, > > > >Johnny Willemsen > >Remedy IT > >Leeghwaterstraat 25 > >2811 DT Reeuwijk > >The Netherlands > >Tel: +31-182-393339 > >Fax: +31-182-395935 > >Web: www...

Re: [tao-users] Transaction Service in TAO #2 #2
Hi Fayez, >> I am looking for an open source CORBA project which does not have >> OTS implemented. So far I have looked at MICO, JACORB and TAO and >> all have OTS. Would anyone on this list happen to know an open >> source CORBA project which doesn't have OTS implemented? This is a VERY weird question. Can you please explain why you are looking for this information? Thanks, doug -- Dr. Douglas C. Schmidt, Professor TEL: (615) 343-8197 Electrical Engineering and Computer Science FAX: (615) 343-7440 Vanderbilt University WEB: www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/ Nashville, TN 37203 NET: d.schmidt@vanderbilt.edu ...

[ace-users] Re: [tao-users] Problem with removing event handler #2 #2
Hi Rob, > I figured that out, and removed ACE_Event_Handler::DONT_CALL from my > remove_handler call this morning. As far as I can tell handle_close is > still not getting called. Perhaps you're not defining handle_close() with the right signature? At any rate, there's no good reason for this not to work, so I recommend you crank up the debugger and figure out what's going on. thanks, doug ...

Re: [tao-users] Corbaloc question #2 #2
Hi Venkat, >> Further to Charles coding, cannot we bind the 'bonie' >> object in the IORTable at the Server side, so that >> the Client will be able to do that stirng_to_object >> operation? Right, exactly. That's precisely why I gave the URL http://www.theaceorb.com/faq/faq.html#073 which explains how to do this. >> I have done this kind of coding and found it useful. >> But I am in some kind of doubt if this will work >> across other ORB's? That's also correct, which is why I said that the "normal" way of doing this in CORBA doesn't work for what Charles wants to do. Take care, Doug >> Cheers, >> Venkat >> >> >> --- "Douglas C. Schmidt" <schmidt@cs.wustl.edu> >> wrote: > >> > Hi Charles, >> > >> > > I've seen this question in a couple of places, >> > but >> > > Haven't found a straightforward answer that shows >> > all >> > > The elements in one place, either in newsgroups or >> > in >> > > Henning & Vinoski, or the quoter example, and I'm >> > having >> > > Trouble putting the puzzle together. >> > > >> > > I am creating a simple servant and activating >> > it with >> > > Activate_object_with_id( "bonnie" ). >> > > &g...

RE: [tao-users] ACE+TAO on uClinux #2
Hi, Please always use the PRF form. GCC 2.95.3 is still supported, we are using it for example for VxWorks. Regards, Johnny Willemsen Remedy IT Postbus 101 2650 AC Berkel en Rodenrijs The Netherlands www.theaceorb.nl / www.remedy.nl > -----Original Message----- > From: owner-tao-users@cse.wustl.edu > [mailto:owner-tao-users@cse.wustl.edu] On Behalf Of Keith Nicewarner > Sent: vrijdag 10 juni 2005 3:22 > To: Keith Nicewarner; tao-users@cs.wustl.edu > Subject: RE: [tao-users] ACE+TAO on uClinux > > FYI, I managed to get ACE and TAO to compile for the > ColdFire. The few simple ACE tests I tried seem to work > fine, but the simplest CORBA client and server apps get a seg > fault. :-( > > > > I was forced to use gcc 2.95.3 due to some bugs with the gcc > 3.4.3 ColdFire cross compiler, so I'm wondering if that has > something to do with it. Is 2.95.3 still fully supported with TAO? > > > > Keith. > > > > ******************************************************** > > Dr. Keith Nicewarner keith.nicewarner@spacedev.com > <mailto:keith.nicewarner@spacedev.com> > > Chief Software Architect 858-375-2079 > > SpaceDev, Inc. www.spacedev.com > <http://www.spacedev.com> > > 13855 Stowe Drive San Diego, CA, 92064 > > ...

Re: [tao-users] TAO, Event Channel and multicast #2 #2
Hi Folks, > Please upgrade to TAO 1.4. If has dozens of improvements and extensions for > the RTEvent channel. Please see http://deuce.doc.wustl.edu/Download.html to download TAO 1.4. Thanks, doug ...

Re: [tao-users]C++ and Java using TAO #2 #2
I am still having trouble getting my Java client talking to my C++ server over a network. The two computers have Windows XP Professional installed. Visual C++ 6 and Eclipse IDE used with Java Standard Edition 1.4.2 for development. Administrator rights on both computers. I can ping the two computers from each other. The Java client communicates fine with the C++ server on the same computer when the following is used: Naming_Service -ORBEndPoint iiop://localhost:1050 Server -ORBInitRef NameService=corbaloc:iiop:localhost:1050/NameService Client -ORBInitRef NameService=corbaloc:iiop:localhost:1050/NameService Any ideas? When I try two computers I have the Naming_Service and the Server app running on the same computer. The client is on its own on the other computer. Help !! I have asked the network group here at the university but they also don't know. Thanks Franz Klein ...

Web resources about - Re: [tao-users] Question about some tests in TAO #2 #2 - comp.soft-sys.ace