how to calculate shortest distance between two point on a surface

Could anyone suggest me methods on how to calculate shortest distance
between two point along a surface. The surface is not standard one
like sphere.
Thanks.
comp.soft-sys.math.maple 4351 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

In article <34590a0b-3ceb-456d-93ae-522b32dec017@c3g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
Arkward  <sunjigang1965@yahoo.com.cn> wrote:
>Could anyone suggest me methods on how to calculate shortest distance
>between two point along a surface. The surface is not standard one
>like sphere.
>Thanks.

Why do you want to know? I use to have students construct geodesics
numerically via matlab, but calculus of variations can get analyitical
solutions of the minimal geodesic at times.
--
Steven Bellenot                 http://www.math.fsu.edu/~bellenot
Professor and Associate Chair               phone: (850) 644-7405
Florida State University          email: bellenot at math.fsu.edu
0
fakeuser
1/15/2010 5:40:04 PM
On Jan 15, 8:27=A0am, Arkward <sunjigang1...@yahoo.com.cn> wrote:
> Could anyone suggest me methods on how to calculate shortest distance
> between two point along a surface. The surface is not standard one
> like sphere.
> Thanks.

You want a "geodesic". See, eg.,
http://www.maplesoft.com/applications/view.aspx?SID=3D34940&view=3Dhtml
(which deals directly with this problem in a Maple framework) or
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Geodesic.html (general theory) or
http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=3D169560 (some examples).

R.G. Vickson
0
Ray
1/15/2010 5:43:06 PM
On 15 Jan, 17:40, fakeu...@invalid.domain wrote:
> In article <34590a0b-3ceb-456d-93ae-522b32dec...@c3g2000yqd.googlegroups.=
com>,

> Arkward =A0<sunjigang1...@yahoo.com.cn> wrote:
> >Could anyone suggest me methods on how to calculate shortest distance
> >between two point along a surface. The surface is not standard one
> >like sphere.
> >Thanks.
>
> Why do you want to know? I use to have students construct geodesics
> numerically via matlab, but calculus of variations can get analyitical
> solutions of the minimal geodesic at times.
> --
> Steven Bellenot =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0http://www.math.fsu.edu/~b=
ellenot
> Professor and Associate Chair =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 phone: (850) 64=
4-7405
> Department of Mathematics =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0=
office: 223 Love
> Florida State University =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0email: bellenot at math.fsu.e=
du

Thank you for your advice.
In an algorithm, distance between two points of data set is shortest
graph distance as an approximation of geodesic distance. I plan to
simulate the surface by aggression then calculate the geodesic
distance on the simulated surface.
0
Arkward

Two Networked Computers Go Down Together
I have two computers networked with MS network features. One runs W2000 and the other XP Pro. Recently, both have died simultaneously, and then booted up to the start up screen. Any ideas about what caused that? As far as I can tell, there were no outages in the house and out building where the two reside. They are separated by 100' of ethernet cable. Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA) (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time) Obz Site: 39� 15' 7" N, 121� 2' 32" W, 2700 feet -- U.S....

FAQ 4.43 How do I compute the difference of two arrays? How do I compute the intersection of two arrays? #20
This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq4.pod, which comes with the standard Perl distribution. These postings aim to reduce the number of repeated questions as well as allow the community to review and update the answers. The latest version of the complete perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org . -------------------------------------------------------------------- 4.43: How do I compute the difference of two arrays? How do I compute the intersection of two arrays? Use a hash. Here's code to do both and more. It assumes that each element is unique in a given array: ...

OT: Obamacare Angst Among Democrats Approaches A Tipping Point
<http://goo.gl/Of9x0J> ----- On Wednesday morning, Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.) announced that he was co-sponsoring a bill to allow individuals who buy their own insurance to stay on their current health care plans indefinitely rather than be forced into better regulated plans through the newly created exchanges. ... The flawed website, combined with the steady stream of news of insurers forcing people to adopt more comprehensive and at times expensive plans in response to new regulations, had already persuaded five other Democrats to ...

MORTGAGE CALCULATOR | Mortgage Loan Calculators | Online Loan Payment Calculator
____________________________________________________ >>> MORTGAGE CALCULATOR <<< ____________________________________________________ Calculate your payment and more at http://www.MortgageCalculator.notlong.com ____________________________________________________ Looking for more personalized rates? First compare rates in your area ( or click here http://MortgageCalculator.notlong.com ), then return to our mortgage calculator to determine payment and amortization schedule. Due to record low mortgage ra...

how to make two windows controls have the same edge
Hello, How would i link two edges of two controls together so that the user could contract one to enlarge the other? Like how expolore does it with it's treecontrol and listview ~Thanks~ In MFC: CSplitterWnd In ATL: CSplitterWindow Without either of these: -- Set the parent window's cursor to IDC_SIZEWE or something. Set the parent's background brush to (COLOR_3DFACE + 1). Give each pane the WS_EX_CLIENTEDGE style. -- WM_SIZE: size the panes so they occupy the left and right sides, with about a 3 pixel gap in between. -- WM_LBUTTONDOWN: set a flag (is_dragging...

find rotation between two images
i have several images where i would like to find the rotation and shift compared to a reference image. i use an alignment routine to seperate the shifting part. however, there is still the remaining problem of image rotation. is there a routine available? thanks! Tobi writes: > i have several images where i would like to find the rotation and > shift compared to a reference image. i use an alignment routine to > seperate the shifting part. however, there is still the remaining > problem of image rotation. is there a routine available? thanks! Have you looked at ROT. Ch...

Re: Passing a number calculated from another dataset into a new #5
I think you want to do a "one record set". See if the example produces something similar to youe desired data. data const; array const[10] (1:10); run; data class; set sashelp.class; if _n_ eq 1 then set const; run; proc print; run; On 7/21/08, wardnine@hotmail.com <wardnine@hotmail.com> wrote: > I have a question about something which is probably simple but I just > don't know how to do. I have a pre-existing, one record dataset A > where I've calculated 10 numbers that are stored as variables within > the data set (for example, the dat...

graphing calculator
Anyone have an OSX graphing calculator app like the one that came with OS9 (http://www.pacifict.com/FreeStuff.html)? I didn't find anything at download.com Any recommendations? Thanks, GW In article <6M6Sc.3822$Qa4.1911@twister.socal.rr.com>, Geoff Welsh <geoffdubya@some.rr.com> wrote: > Anyone have an OSX graphing calculator app like the one that came with > OS9 (http://www.pacifict.com/FreeStuff.html)? I'm not familiar with earlier Mac applications, however the calculator that comes with OX X (10.3 at least) appears to have an (undocumented) 2D graphic faci...

Adding two applets in an applet
Hi, I am facing a problem in adding two JComponents in an applet. The two components are separately defined in different files, and I am instantiating them in a third file which is the applet. The problem is that I am able to see only the second component while the first one is not present. Both the Jcomponents have their paint methods separately defined in their file. Since there are 3 files involved I was not sure what shoudl I paste here as a code, if there are any questions regarding the clarity of the problem I shall answer them immediately. Please help!! TIA Rohit The subject is w...

match two criteria
Hi, I would like to capture all phrases that matches the pattern "the dog ..*ly" and prevent phrases that contains "olly" or "ollly". This regular expression is not working and do not know if this can be achieved with one regular expression or we have to pipe the output of the first grep to another. grep "the dog .*ly" | grep "[^olly|^ollly]" *.txt > out Thanks julia_2683@hotmail.com grumbled: > Hi, > I would like to capture all phrases that matches the pattern "the dog > .*ly" and prevent phrases that ...

Re: calculate median from columns #5
Kitty, It is not difficult to modify the code to use nonlinear category values. An easy way to reference category values like 7.5, 15, 25, and 55 would be to use formatting. First, construct an informat CATVALS which links each category with the appropriate category value as: proc format; invalue catvals 1 = 7.5 2 = 15 3 = 25 4 = 55; run; Then, all you need to do is replace the references to "25*i" (in either of the codings I previously provided) with "input(i,catvals.)". Note that the quotes above are just to reference the appropriate code. You wou...

Generate 20 points per cycle for 10 cycles of a 100 hz sine wave
I need to generate 10 cycles of a 100 Hz sine wave with delta x being Pi/10 (20 points per cycle). I'm having a tough time keeping the timing since each point must be generated in .5 ms increments. 100 Hz = 1 sine wave per .01 seconds / 20 = .0005 seconds per point. Thanks! Please tell us what kind of hardware you are using and how you are sending your sine wave to it. 0.5 ms per point is too fast to do software timed updates on any desktop OS based system. You will need to send buffered data to a hardware timed system or use a real time OS. Lynn ...

out of the calculation
I make a statement, but can be run I can not get out of the calculation done = false; while not(done) x=input('insert x') m=1; n=3; if (m<=x)&&(x<=n) for i=x disp('true') AM=20+x; continue end else disp('false') end end JK=AM+1 I mean, if the value of x is true, then it will go to the next calculation Can you help me "wahyoe Unggul" <wahyoe_slipnot@yahoo.co.id> wrote in message <in2dj5$rcu$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > I make a statement, but can be run I can not get out of the calculat...

Newbie Q: to point or not to point ?
New to C++ and am also trying to utilize the wxWidgets library. I'm still on the learning curve for both and for some reason it's not clear to me what the advantages/disadvantages to simply instantiating an object or creating a pointer to that new object with the "new" operator. (I apologize if my terminology is incorrect) Consider these 2 examples: (1) void Universal::OnToolClick( wxCommandEvent& event ) { wxString bgsString; bgsString = wxGetOsDescription(); wxMessageDialog* dlgbx = new wxMessageDialog(this, bgsString, "Universal", wxYES_NO); ...

converting a point known by 4 distances to xyz coordinates?
comp.graphics.algorithms converting a point known by 4 distances to xyz coordinates? Amongst all the librarys on the internet there is certainly source code for a routine that converts a point known by 4 distances from 4 known points to common xyz coordinates. Anyone know where it is? Hul -- - for email, put the word "keeper" in the subject line - "Hul Tytus" <htytus@shell1.iglou.com> wrote in message news:4213e98b$1_1@news.iglou.com... > comp.graphics.algorithms > converting a point known by 4 distances to xyz coordinates? > > Amongst all the libra...

Re: [VxW] Re: How to calculate a tick value?.
sysClkRateGet() will return the no.of ticks for a second. so u can use taskDelay(NUM_SECS * sysClkRateGet()) for sleeping. HTH --vrreddy svrakesh@yahoo.com (Rakesh)@csg.lbl.gov on 07/14/2003 07:59:46 AM Please respond to VxWorks Users Group List <vxwexplo@csg.lbl.gov> Sent by: vxwexplo-bounces@csg.lbl.gov To: vxwexplo@csg.lbl.gov cc: Subject: [VxW] Re: How to calculate a tick value?. better to get from CPU rather than OS. What CPU are you wroking on? santa19992000@yahoo.com (Santa) wrote in message news:<60e37826.0307131323.45cf392@posting.google.com>.....

two approaches to file tree recursion with *at() syscalls
I've noticed that GNU programs (at least in Slackware) have two different approaches to file tree recursion using the new *at() syscalls. 1. Keep each directory level open as a file descriptor. The deeper you go, the more descriptors will be open. Advantage: it ascends even if ".." is corrupt. Disadvantage: descent is limited by how many descriptors can be open by a process. The "du -s" command uses method #1. 2. Close each directory as subdirectories are descended. Ascent is done by opening ".." and closing the previous dir...

calculation on lists

fmincon with two linear constraint
hi, Could you please tell me how I can use fmincon with 2 or more linear constraints? Basically I'd like to find a nxn matrix of weights, where the sum of each column adds up to 1. So to find the best weight function I can use fmincon, but how can I impose the constraint that all the weights for each column should add up to 1? thank you, -behnam You can add any number of linear constraints to fmincon(). For example, if n=2 and W=[w11 w12; w21 w22] be the matrix of weights, you can express the linear constraints as Aeq*x = beq, where Aeq = [1 1 0 0; 0 0 1 1], x = [w11 w21 w12 w22]'...

MORTGAGE CALCULATOR | Mortgage Loan Calculators | Online Loan Payment Calculator
____________________________________________________ >>> MORTGAGE CALCULATOR <<< ____________________________________________________ Calculate your payment and more at http://www.MortgageCalculator.notlong.com ____________________________________________________ Looking for more personalized rates? First compare rates in your area ( or click here http://MortgageCalculator.notlong.com ), then return to our mortgage calculator to determine payment and amortization schedule. Due to record low mortgage rates, many homeown...

calculating Total in a textbox on a form, how can I calculate the total of several text boxes in another textbox on the same form?
I have a form with three text boxes on it. I want the third text box to show the total of the values in the other two text boxes. The first box is named: BoxOne and I type the number 2 into it The second box is named: BoxTwo and I type the number 3 into it If the third box is named: TotalBox and the control source for the TotalBox reads, =([BoxOne]+[BoxTwo]) the value in the total box is 23, not 5 It just places the two separate values side-by-side in the totalbox. If I use =([BoxOne]*[BoxTwo]) then I get 6 (two TIMES three) I tried using sum in various ways but I just got error m...

default locales in two Solaris releases different
Hi, I'm facing a little problem with locales. The default LANG parameter in different releases seems to be different: First server: pri950[root]/etc/default: more init # # Copyright 1992, 1999-2002 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved. # Use is subject to license terms. # #ident "@(#)init.dfl 1.7 02/12/03 SMI" # # This file is /etc/default/init. /etc/TIMEZONE is a symlink to this file. # This file looks like a shell script, but it is not. To maintain # compatibility with old versions of /etc/TIMEZONE, some shell constructs # (i.e., export comm...

Setup sshd to listen to two ports ?
Hey, people! I can't figure out what solution to use for the following problem: From the office, I need to connect to a machine on my own home LAN. I can configure my home router to send calls on port 22 to a certain IP on the LAN. But my provider blocks an extent of ports, including 22. It seems possible to change to port in sshd_config. But then, the other machines in my LAN could connect to it with port 22. What is the correct approach, here ? -- There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. Dougl...

Calculating UTMz in MapInfo
Hi I have a lot of points (UTMx and UTMy) and I want to get the UTMz (elevation). I have a vectorized heigthmodel. Hov can I automatically calculate the heigth of my points interpolating between the curves in heigth-model? Lars ...

How to calculate this duration
Hello SAS-L, I have 24 months data with each month a category, I want to calculate duration for each category and code them a change name. For example, the category are 14,24,32,48 and 0; and I want code the change to 0 as 1, from 0 to others 9, others are 14 to 24 a, 14 to 32 b, 14 to 48 c, 48 to 32 d, 32 to 14 e ,etc. The changes are random. The current data like this: id mon1 mon2 mon3 mon4 mon5 mon6 mon7 mon8 1 14 14 32 32 0 48 48 0 2 0 0 48 32 32 14 32 0 The data I need is like: id duration type 1 2 b 1...