Derivative of g(z) = Arg(z) and f(z) = Re(z) + Im(z)?

How do I solve a derivative of a complex function Arg(z) or Re(z) +
Im(z) by definition? (f(z) - f(w))/(z-w) -> f'(w) as z->w...

Marie wrote:
> How do I solve a derivative of a complex function Arg(z) or Re(z) +
> Im(z) by definition? (f(z) - f(w))/(z-w) -> f'(w) as z->w...

Let f(z) = P + I Q be the value of a complex function.
I remember that if P is constant and Q variable
(or P variable and Q constant)
then f can't be complex differentiable because the
Cauchy-Riemann conditions can't be met.

Hence Arg, Re, Im, Abs are not complex differentiable.

Curiously, Mathematica [5.0] doesn't refuse to evaluate Arg' :

In[1]:= Arg'[1 + 2 I] // N

Out[1]= -0.4

Valeri

0
astanoff (103)
2/11/2005 8:45:03 AM
On 11 Feb 2005, at 08:33, Valeri Astanoff wrote:

> Marie wrote:
>> How do I solve a derivative of a complex function Arg(z) or Re(z) +
>> Im(z) by definition? (f(z) - f(w))/(z-w) -> f'(w) as z->w...
>
> Let f(z) = P + I Q be the value of a complex function.
> I remember that if P is constant and Q variable
> (or P variable and Q constant)
> then f can't be complex differentiable because the
> Cauchy-Riemann conditions can't be met.
>
> Hence Arg, Re, Im, Abs are not complex differentiable.
>
> Curiously, Mathematica [5.0] doesn't refuse to evaluate Arg' :
>
> In[1]:= Arg'[1 + 2 I] // N
>
> Out[1]= -0.4
>

> Valeri

Actually Mathematica does not return the a value for the exact
derivative:

Arg'[1]

Arg'[1]

But it does return a numerical value

N[Arg'[1]]

0.

Of course what it is doing is using the "directional derivative along
the real axis":

g[z_] := N[Limit[(Arg[z + t] - Arg[z])/t, t -> 0]]

e.g.

g[2 I + 3]

-0.153846

N[Arg'[2 I + 3]]

-0.153846

As Arg is not-differentiable this derivative will not in general agree
with with directional derivatives in other directions:

Chop[N[Limit[(Arg[2*I + 3 + t] - Arg[2*I + 3])/t, t -> 0, Direction ->
I]]]

-0.23076923076923078*I

Andrzej Kozlowski
Chiba, Japan
http://www.akikoz.net/~andrzej/
http://www.mimuw.edu.pl/~akoz/

0
akoz (2415)
2/12/2005 7:08:46 AM
I noticed that this is corrected in Math 5.1
Arg'[1+2I] does not return an evaluated value
yehuda

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 03:33:32 -0500 (EST), Valeri Astanoff
<astanoff@yahoo.fr> wrote:
> Marie wrote:
> > How do I solve a derivative of a complex function Arg(z) or Re(z) +
> > Im(z) by definition? (f(z) - f(w))/(z-w) -> f'(w) as z->w...
>
> Let f(z) = P + I Q be the value of a complex function.
> I remember that if P is constant and Q variable
> (or P variable and Q constant)
> then f can't be complex differentiable because the
> Cauchy-Riemann conditions can't be met.
>
> Hence Arg, Re, Im, Abs are not complex differentiable.
>
> Curiously, Mathematica [5.0] doesn't refuse to evaluate Arg' :
>
> In[1]:= Arg'[1 + 2 I] // N
>
> Out[1]= -0.4
>

> Valeri

0
bsyehuda (280)

Question re the (non-)equivalence of Z -> z and Z -> z e (e the empty string)
Background Consider any linear grammar G of a regular language L in which: a) the designated "empty" or "null string" symbol e is not an element of G's terminal alphabet Vt; b) G contains the rewrite rule Z -> z, which always terminates a derivation in G since z is an element of Vt; Now consider a grammar G' of a regular language L which is just like G except that: a) the terminal alphabet Vt' of G' does contain the null/empty string symbol e b) G' contains the rewrite rule Z -> z e instead of Z -> z. In any derivation D in G, t...

question about calling func( z, z++, z++ )
In the following code, there is a something like func( z, z++, z++ ) [cdalten@localhost oakland]$ more luc.c #include <stdio.h> int func( int a, int b, int c ) { printf( "a is %d and b is %d and c is %d\n", a, b, c ); return(c); } int main( void ) { int z =3D 9; func( z, z++, z++ ); return 0; } [cdalten@localhost oakland]$ gcc -Wall luc.c -o luc luc.c: In function =91main=92: luc.c:12: warning: operation on =91z=92 may be undefined luc.c:12: warning: operation on =91z=92 may be undefined [cdalten@localhost oakland]$ ./luc a is 11 and b is 10 and c is 9 [cdalten@lo...

HP35S
I've 'published' a few HP35s programs that may be of interest here: http://tchrapkiewicz.googlepages.com/hp35ec.xls (It is an excel97 sheet - hopefully readable by all.) The code may not be optimized or maximally commented, but just wanted to get it out there. Some notes (which perhaps should be on the page): The e^z routine [LBL E] is just a simple Taylor Series expansion - with n in the y register and z in the x register, e^z approximation is returned to the x register. I wrote this with only real z input in mind, but found out to my surprise and pleasure that it works for c...

Maple bugs: minimize(z^4-2*z^2+z, z= 0..1);
Hello the symbolic computation community, There are several typical ways of Maple quality degradation. One of them is as follows: 1) a feature A works well in a sequence of versions 2) the feature A is broken 3) the feature A is never repaired. Something like this. QUALITY .. .. .. .. ++++++++_____________________________________ .. ++++++++_____________________________________ .. ++++++++_____________________________________ .. ++++++++_____________________________________ .. ++++++++_____________________________________ .. ++++++++_________________________________...

HP35s
I cannot seem to find where the Real part [Re(z)], or Imaginary Part [Im(z)] functions are on the HP35s. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks, Tomcee On Jul 26, 12:23 pm, tomcee <tomcees_calcula...@yahoo.com> wrote: > I cannot seem to find where the Real part [Re(z)], or Imaginary Part > [Im(z)] functions are on the HP35s. Anybody have any ideas? > > Thanks, > Tomcee That's because there aren't any such dedicated functions on the 35s. The review of the HP 35s found here: http://www.hpcc.org/datafile/V26Special/the35s.pdf suggests that you will have to get the X ...

Re: SetOptions[Plot, .Z..] vs using Plot[, .Z..] behaves differently when Z is Dynamics
This isn't a problem with Dynamic at all. If you cleared maxy beforehand, it would have worked. Take a look at the SetOptions command. You're not using RuleDelayed! Any previous assignment of maxy is going to be dropped literally into the option, rather than the symbol 'maxy'. Your attempted explanation would only hold water if the Dynamic were on the rhs of the option, and the option weren't exposed in the FE (which PlotRange is). Having Dynamic wrapped around the entire plotting command guarantees the re-evaluation with no problem at all. Sincerely, ...

"Z -> z versus Z -> z e"
I am grateful to William Elliot (WE) for his observation concerning positive grammars with no empty productions. When WE suggesting replacing the production rule Z -> z e with the rule Z -> e to terminate the derivation, I realized that I had not made my question sufficiently precise (although interestingly, WE's suggestion goes to the heart of the matter.) So, here is a more careful statement of the original question. Suppose a grammar G (without e in its terminal alphabet Vt) capable of producing one derivation charactrerizable by the derivation tree T representable as the labe...

Changing Sqrt{(z-1)(z-2)(z-3)} to coffee mug
I sure would like to see animation of this over the Riemann sphere: Take two Riemann spheres corresponing to the two branches of sqrt showing the two branch cuts on each. Now: open up the branch cuts, stretch them into necks, join the necks, form the double flask, double neck, transform this into a donut, indent the donut into a coffee mug. Would make a nice addition to the Wolfram demonstration project. I can only get as far as using ContourPlot3D with the two holes in the sphere: r2 = ContourPlot3D[x^2 + y^2 + z^2 == 2, {x, -2, 2}, {y, -2, 2}, {z, -2, 2}, RegionFunction -&...

Re: buggy nameservers resolve x.y.z CNAME a.b.c but not x.y.z. CNAME w.y.z
> I've had problems for a couple of years now with certain providers not > being able to resolve www.jcomeau.com which WAS an alias to > unixshell.jcomeau.com (I've now changed it to an A record). I've been > doing some testing today, and it seems these DNS daemons balk on doing > recursive queries to the same domain. > > I now got: > > test.jcomeau.com. 28800 IN CNAME www.jcomeau.com. > test2.jcomeau.com. 28800 IN CNAME cosf.unternet.net. > > Both of these CNAME targets point to the same server, but the first one > fails on Q...

Z transform
>From scratching around on the internet and reading Hamming's Digital Filters book it appears that the z transform is used pretty much only with z = exp(iw), which means it works like a discrete Fourier transform. I was wondering whether the z transform is ever used with z = exp(iw+y). This seems to be remarkably useful - I wonder if it is impractical to compute for a given signal, therefore not used in practice. spasmous@yahoo.com wrote: >>From scratching around on the internet and reading Hamming's Digital > Filters book it appears that the z transform is used pretty ...

query about \z@ and \z@skip
Hi, I am wondering what the \z@skip means and does? This is from \def\vfootnote#1{ command > \leftskip\z@skip \rightskip\z@skip \spaceskip\z@skip I understand that \z@ is already defined to be \newdimen\z@ \z@=0pt So what is the \def of \z@skip? How do I discover this \def on my own? David R David R <angel_ov_north@tiscali.co.uk> wrote: > Hi, > I am wondering what the \z@skip means and does? This is from > \def\vfootnote#1{ command > > > \leftskip\z@skip \rightskip\z@skip \spaceskip\z@skip > > I understand that \z@ is already defined to be \n...

zplane
Dear All, Could you please teach me how to use zplane command to draw z domain equatinos, for example z/z-a Thank you very much! if 0<a<? ...

timezone argument %z and %Z
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------040802010203030604070205 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I feel it is necessary to start a new post to go on the discussion about timezone. In my system : win7+ python3.4 . related official material. https://docs.python.org/3.4/library/datetime.html#strftime-and-strptime %z UTC offset in the form +HHMM or -HHMM (empty string if the the object is naive). (empty), +0000, -0400, +1030 (6) %Z Time zone name (empty string if the object is naive). (empty), UTC, E...

From H(z) to H(-z)
Hi I have a question about filter design, suppose now I got H(z), how to get H(-z)? I know that firstly change H(z) to H(e^jw), to get H(-z) just to calculate H(e^(jw-j*pi)), but how to implement it with matlab? Thanks in advance! br, JN JN wrote: > > > Hi > > I have a question about filter design, suppose now I got H(z), > how > to get H(-z)? > I know that firstly change H(z) to H(e^jw), to get H(-z) just to > calculate > H(e^(jw-j*pi)), but how to implement it with matlab? > Thanks in advance! > > br, > JN dear JN, i believe that you want c...

Web resources about - Derivative of g(z) = Arg(z) and f(z) = Re(z) + Im(z)? - comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica

Derivative - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... is about the term as used in calculus . For a less technical overview of the subject, see differential calculus . For other uses, see Derivative ...

Derivative - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... is about the term as used in calculus . For a less technical overview of the subject, see differential calculus . For other uses, see Derivative ...

Derivative - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... is about the term as used in calculus . For a less technical overview of the subject, see differential calculus . For other uses, see Derivative ...

Facebook Claims Conflict Of Interest, Seeks Dismissal Of Derivative Lawsuit
Can the same law firm unsuccessfully bid to lead a class-action suit against a company, and then file a related derivative lawsuit against the ...

Financial Oligarchy and the New Robber Barons w/Derivatives Guru Janet Tavakoli - YouTube
Follow us @ http://twitter.com/laurenlyster http://twitter.com/coveringdelta Welcome to Capital Account. Bernanke speaks and everyone seems to ...

Star Wars: The Force Awakens review: Big, loud, huge fun and hugely derivative
JJ Abrams takes George Lucas' original and pumps it full steroids - it ticks every box, rifles every memory and renovates much-loved characters ...

Star Wars: The Force Awakens review: Big, loud, huge fun and hugely derivative
JJ Abrams takes George Lucas' original and pumps it full steroids - it ticks every box, rifles every memory and renovates much-loved characters ...

Shatter marijuana derivative increasingly worries Calgary police
Police are concerned about shatter, a marijuana-derivative drug that is so potent it can cause bouts of psychosis in people who inhale it. It ...

HONG KONG – DERIVATIVES / STRUCTURED FINANCE – JUNIOR TO SENIOR LEVEL ASSOICATE NEED AT TOP TIER FIRM ...
... firm clients in Hong Kong, where we have made 10 US associate and counsel placements in recent years, has an urgent need to hire a few derivatives ...

ASX profit up 7.3pc, but derivatives income flat
The ASX has reported a 7.3 per cent lift in after-tax profit to $213.1 million, just ahead of market forecasts, driven by new listings and big ...