DSolve test

Hi, could somebody try this in Mathematica 9 to see if the bug is fixed?

sol = DSolve[{u'[t] == 2*Sqrt[u[t]], u[0] == 0}, u[t], t]; Print[sol];

Thanks.

0
carlos

Am 09.05.2014 08:08, schrieb carlos.felippa%colorado.edu@gtempaccount.com:
> Hi, could somebody try this in Mathematica 9 to see if the bug is fixed?
>
> sol = DSolve[{u'[t] == 2*Sqrt[u[t]], u[0] == 0}, u[t], t]; Print[sol];

In all versions until now, Mathematica  does not check the Lipshitz
condition  |f(u(t))-f(u(0))| < C |u(t)-u(0)| that guaranties uniqueness.

The results for nonlinear ordinary differential equations are just those
you find in the usual lists like Kamke oder EquationWorld.

There exist no general algebraic nonlinear solving methods for nonlinear
ODE's except linear substitutions, separation of variables and lookup
tables.

Generally as a student of ODE one learns to look for points of
discontinuities, here u=0, which generally allow branching:

f(t):=0 /;t<=t0
f(t):=(t-t0)^2/; t>t0>=0

is the solution family on (-oo,oo).

Dsolve has no entry for a domain construct like NDSolve

  NDSolve[{u'[t] == 2*Sqrt[u[t]], u[0] == 0}, u[t],{t,0,10}]

that will give you the missing constant solution and. But

In[20]:= v[t_] =
  u[t] /. NDSolve[{u'[t] == 2 Sqrt[u[t]], u[1] == 10^-12},
     u[t], {t, 0, 7}][[1]]

There occurs an error in the internal procedure at the critical point 1:

 >>During evaluation of In[20]:= NDSolve::mxst: Maximum number of 10000
 >>steps reached at the point t == 0.9998803430478553`.

So even with CASystems, it is still the fact that differentiation is an
algebraic functor, numerical integration is a trivialtity for smooth
functions, algebraic integration is a mystery and a historical source of
many branches of mathematics.

The solution of nonlinear differential equations remains an ingenious
kind of art, Ricatti, Clairaut, d'Alembert are some of the protagonists.

--

Roland Franzius

0
Roland

test test test test test test
test test test test test test test ...

TESTING TESTING TESTING TESTING TESTING
TESTING TESTING TESTING TESTING TESTING ...

test test test test

Testing, Testing, Testing
My filter is off and I still see no messages in COGM. Testing! Testing! 1-2-3 Testing! Here in comp.os.geos.misc, "Pat" <hotpatpar@hotmail.com> spake unto us, saying: >My filter is off and I still see no messages in COGM. Oh no! :-) -- -Rich Steiner >>>---> http://www.visi.com/~rsteiner >>>---> Smyrna, GA USA OS/2 + eCS + Linux + Win95 + DOS + PC/GEOS + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven! WARNING: I've seen FIELDATA FORTRAN V and I know how to use it! The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then. Pat w...

test test test
this is only a test... 3rd attempt. ...

Test Test Testing
Testing from Personnel Mail Sever ...

Test test test
Test test ...

test test test

test test test
test test test ...

Test test test
Excuse the ring -- I am confused about the new google "nickname" thing. Dave Weaver Dave Weaver wrote: > Excuse the ring -- I am confused about the new google "nickname" thing. > Dave Weaver Well, that worked just great, using nickname "Dave Weaver" nofinway@fnh.com Dave Weaver wrote: > Excuse the ring -- I am confused about the new google "nickname" > thing. Dave Weaver Dave, I hope you realize that by posting via Google Groups, your e-mail address will be made public to Usenet groups. Tiny URL http://tinyur...

Test test test

Test test test
Test test werty wrote: > Test test > You failed, horribly. Please return your computer to where you bought it and tell them they don't need to refund the money, because you're too stupid to know the difference anyway. Stop such nonsense. Google said they turned it off 9 Jan . They changed dates on posts , then put them in , 10 Jan . I did not post 9 Jan If they would only tell the truth ..... Its called throttling . Google dont want to pay to carry UseNet ... but they like the revenues from adverts . ...

test test test #3
test test ...

TEST TEST TEST 222222222222
TEST TEST TEST 222222222222 NikVi <VVNikitin@yandex.ru> wrote: > TEST TEST TEST 222222222222 Your test failed. With over 1000 newgroups .test your post showed up here. Now go read the FAQ and some other documentation before posting. Davide -- | Simon's Law: Everything put together falls apart sooner or later. | | | ...

Test test test #9
Test test ...

Test test test #4
Test test werty <werty@swissinfo.org> wrote: > Test test THERE ARE TEST GROUPS FOR TESTING - USE THEM please :-) Jim ...

Test test test #8
Test test ...

test test test #2

Test test test #6
Test test ...

Test test test #7
Test test ...

Test test test #17
Test test ...

Test test test #2
Test test ...

Test test test #5
Test test ...

Test test test #13
Test test ...

Test test test #3
Test test ...

Web resources about - DSolve test - comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica

Autonomous system (mathematics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In mathematics , an autonomous system or autonomous differential equation is a system of ordinary differential equations which does not explicitly ...

F7: Refinement Types for F# - Microsoft Research
Theory and implementation of refinement types for F#, with initial applications being to security.

Wolfram Mathematica Tutorial Collection
Instruction and documentation on Mathematica functions, capabilities, architecture. Order books or download free.

Mathematica Commands
Algebra Applied Mathematics Calculus and Analysis Discrete Mathematics Foundations of Mathematics Geometry History and Terminology Number Theory ...

Mathematics and Algorithms—Wolfram Language Documentation
&quot;How to&quot; Topics Numbers Algebraic Calculations

A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum
A New Kind of Science: The NKS Forum Pages: 1 2 3 2,3 Turing Machine Universal? $25,000 TM prize searching for wires Claim of a 2-state 4-color ...

MathStudio Manual
A Abs (z) AiryAi (z) AiryBi (z) AlternatingSeries (n, [terms]) Angle (A, B) Animate (variable, start, end, [step]) Apart (f(x), x) Append (expression1, ...

Low-carbohydrate diet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Low-carbohydrate diets or low-carb diets are dietary programs that restrict carbohydrate consumption usually for the treatment of obesity . Foods ...

Mathematica Solution for Materials Science
Model new materials using powerful symbolic and numeric computational abilities, visualize crystal structures interactively, measure performance ...

Mathematica Solution for Environmental Sciences
Apply high-level computation and create interactive models for environmental topics like climate change prediction, alternative energy development, ...