Gaussian Random Field Simulation in Mathematica

Is there an available package or code in Mathematica
that can simulate Gaussian random fields in 3D? I am looking for
something similar to what the package "RandomFields" can do
(but only in 2D) in the free statistics package R.

Thanks for any pointers

--

Ulvi Yurtsever

0
Ulvi

Try: http://mathematica.stackexchange.com/questions/4829/efficiently-generating-n-d-gaussian-random-fields
0
gt4894a (1)

Simulating random fields in Mathematica
Greetings, I'm searching for Mathematica code to simulate large (Gaussian) random fields, for work in spatial analysis. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks, -Mark ~ Mark Coleman wrote: > Greetings, > > I'm searching for Mathematica code to simulate large (Gaussian) random fields, > for work in spatial analysis. Can anyone point me in the right > direction? > > Thanks, > > -Mark > I have a notebook for simulation of Gaussian random field as a Fourier-series representation. I have been told that this series re...

Math.random() and Math.round(Math.random()) and Math.floor(Math.random()*2)
Assuming one needs to have a function returning false or true on each call in pseudo-random order.and using JavaScript native Math.random() method as the basis of the pseudo-randomness. Say the variants of such function are: getAnswer1() { var n = Math.round(Math.random()); return n ? true : false; } getAnswer2() { var n = Math.floor(Math.random()*2); return (n==2) ? true : false; } Leaving obvious practical testing by platforms aside: Is there are theoretical considerations that pseudo-randomness (predictability) of either of above will be better or worse than the o...

math =!= mathematica
Does somebody know why I get different behaviour for the following commands in a commandline session of mathematica 7 or inside a notebook? It also seems to be different in different Mathematica versions for the notebook format. See http://www.risc.jku.at/people/hemmecke/mathematica/ for the notebook files for Mathematica 5.2, 6.0, 7.0. Can someone explain the General::dupsym: The symbol Array with context A` already exists. message? Why does that message appear at all? If A`Array exists, then Mathematica should just use it, shouldn't it? According to http://reference.wol...

Mathematica
http://www.wolfram.com/ Mathematica seems to have similar problems or did I miss something? (Sure thing!) *\jk not the q's wrote: > http://www.wolfram.com/ > > Mathematica seems to have similar problems or > did I miss something? (Sure thing!) Similar problems to what? -- Dr Jon D Harrop, Flying Frog Consultancy http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/?u "Jon Harrop" <jon@ffconsultancy.com> wrote in message news:UKOdnUZhX4DzJ97VnZ2dnUVZ8tfinZ2d@posted.plusnet... > not the q's wrote: >> http://www.wolfram.com/ >&...

Mathematica
Hi All Any one knows if there are any good summary of important command to be use in mathematica with simple instruction and graphics to go along? I just started using this software and hope to grab some basics. The tutorial in the software not too appealing for me. I do not know why rgds and thanks Jason Jason, The best thing is to give yourself a crash course in Mathematica before attempting to use it in your work or studies. The best course is to work through most of Part I of The Book, actually typing in commands and seeing that they work. The only way to learn the s...

[Mathematica 6] Sudden shutdown of Mathematica. No error messages, no traces, no warning. Mathematica just disappears from desktop
I've noticed this now more than one time. I would say this has happened to me about 5-6 times already since I started using Mathematica 6 which is about 2 weeks now. This is what happens: I'll be working on an open notebook, and do something, for example, just now, I went to do SAVE AS to save the notebook. Mathematica would just disappear in split second. No errors, nothing. I look and it is just gone. All windows gone. No traces. I have to restart Mathematica. And I just lost all my work for the last 30 minutes. Strange thing is now when I open the document sin...

Wolfram reinvents Mathematica with Mathematica 6
Mathematica 6 is now available, introducing over 1,000 groundbreaking technologies developed over more than a decade at Wolfram Research. Mathematica 6 takes technical computing to a new level: more tightly bound, more natural, and more automated, applicable to a far wider range of areas than ever before. Central to this achievement is "instant interactivity"--taking models, computations, or just about any concept and turning them into fully interactive applications, sometimes within seconds. In addition to the new capabilities for instant development, Mathematica 6 is also optimiz...

Debugging Mathematica Code (Mathematica 7)
Hello Experts, I made my fist steps with the Mathematica (so called) debugger and stumbled immediately. Is there anywhrere a documentation of this tool that is worth it's name (a criterion which the Mathematica 7 documentatin on debug surely fails). I've tried a lot, but I'm still at the stage "trial an error". Greetings Mike "m.g." <mg@michaelgamer.de> wrote in message news:gl1okn$dpb$1@smc.vnet.net... > Hello Experts, > > I made my fist steps with the Mathematica (so called) debugger and > stumbled > immediate...

Wolfram reinvents Mathematica with Mathematica 6
Mathematica 6 is now available, introducing over 1,000 groundbreaking technologies developed over more than a decade at Wolfram Research. Mathematica 6 takes technical computing to a new level: more tightly bound, more natural, and more automated, applicable to a far wider range of areas than ever before. Central to this achievement is "instant interactivity"--taking models, computations, or just about any concept and turning them into fully interactive applications, sometimes within seconds. In addition to the new capabilities for instant development, Mathematica 6 is also optimiz...

Mathematica Programmer vs. Programming in Mathematica
Has anybody read both of Roman Maeder's books _The Mathematica Programmer_ and _Programming in Mathematica_? I specifically mean the out of print first volume of the former. Dose _The Mathematica Programmer_ give a significantly different perspective than what is presented in _Programming in Mathematica_? It is, I believe, the best source for information about the design of his Classes` package. The only other source I am aware of is an unavailable (other than buying the hardcopy) back issue of The Mathematica Journal. And, if my understanding is correct, that is not as com...

A.I for mathematica
what do you think mathematica users, about the following suggestion: i suggest to wolfram R. to make a package may be called A.I mode for mathematica once loaded by the choice of the user, the system will be in the Genie mode, and will accept from the user questions like :please what is the sin of 45 degrees?, what is pi to 10000 decimal points, please plot for me the graph of z=12*cos(x^2+y^2)/(3+x^2+y^2). i think this will be a first step toward the star trek like system, in wich the captain told the system to analyse and to calculate by using common obscure language. this approach will...

Learning maths with mathematica
Hi, I am going to fulfil a lifelong dream and will embark on a long distance physics university course in autumn after spending most of my working life as a professional musician in the abstract world of music. For this endeavour I have to brush up and recover my long lost maths basics. After discovering and trying out Mathematica I have purchased the home version of this amazing program which, after spending some time with it, I consider to be the swiss knife of everything. I would like to ask for recommendations about what would be the best way to use the program...

Re: math =!= mathematica
On 3/23/10 at 4:23 AM, hemmecke@gmail.com (hemmecke) wrote: >Does somebody know why I get different behaviour for the following >General::dupsym: The symbol Array with context A` already exists. >message? Why does that message appear at all? If A`Array exists, >then Mathematica should just use it, shouldn't it? >According to >http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/tutorial/Contexts.html we >have: >`name a symbol in the current context >So why is Mathematica complaining? The message is not telling you the symbol exists in the current cont...

Reduce in Mathematica 5 vs Mathematica 8
Hi Mathematica Community, Knowing that Reduce has'nt been modified in Mathematica 8 why the same system that I try to solve with Reduce gives result with Mathematica 5 but not with Mathematica 8? Reduce[-y + Log[Log[v]]/Log[2] == -yP + Log[Log[vP]]/Log[2] && yP == y + Floor[Log[x]/Log[2]], {yP, vP}, Backsubstitution -> True] Thank you very much. ...

Re: Mathematica Programmer vs. Programming in Mathematica
Hi, "Programming in Mathematica" is the standard book for Mathematica Programming, the "Mathematica Programmer" collects mainly Roman Maeders articles in "The Mathematica Journal" and include interesting stuff like his polyhedron code. But it focus *not* on the programming techniques ... Both books are excelent ... The classes.m package is designed to show, that object oriented programming can be done in Mathematica. But nobody would consider it as more than an example that even a wonderfull functional programming language can be misused for nonsen...

Wolfram reinvents Mathematica with Mathematica 6 #2
Mathematica 6 is now available, introducing over 1,000 groundbreaking technologies developed over more than a decade at Wolfram Research. Mathematica 6 takes technical computing to a new level: more tightly bound, more natural, and more automated, applicable to a far wider range of areas than ever before. Central to this achievement is "instant interactivity"--taking models, computations, or just about any concept and turning them into fully interactive applications, sometimes within seconds. In addition to the new capabilities for instant development, Mathematica 6 is also optimized for the opposite end of the spectrum--infrastructure development--and everything in between. Key new features include: * Dynamic interactivity, allowing sophisticated interactive interfaces to be created from single lines of input * High-impact adaptive visualization for automated creation of high-fidelity function and data graphics * Language for data integration, including automatic integration of hundreds of standard data formats * Load-on-demand curated data for math, physics, chemistry, finance, geography, linguistics, and more * Symbolic interface construction for immediate creation of arbitrary interfaces from simple programs * Automated computational aesthetics, with algorithmic optimization for visual presentation Mathematica 6 is available for Windows NT/2000/XP/Vista, Mac OS X, Linux x86/Itanium, Solaris UltraSPARC/x86, HP-UX, IBM AIX, and compatible systems. For more i...

Mathematica.
Aloha, I'm interested in obtaining a copy of Mathematica for IRIX, but it appears that Wolfram has written off IRIX, as the last version listed on their site is Mathematica 4.2 for IRIX 6.2. Is there any way to obtain a copy? Also...what other companies have dropped IRIX support besides Adobe? Kai ...

Using a Mathematica Program to write a Mathematica Program
How can one write a Mathematica program the output of which is itself a Mathematica program? Here is a specific example. Suppose one runs FindLinearRecurrence on a sequence of numbers and Mathematica provides a list of the recurrence factors. What I would like is to run a program that would (1) enter the command "Linear Recurrence" plus the opening square bracket, (2) copy the output of the FindLinearRecurrence program, i.e., the recurrence factors (as a list), (3) determine the length of the list of those recurrence factors, (4) take from the sequence of numbers that h...

Mathematica at Math Camp
I taught a group of 32 smart high school kids some Mathematica this week, at the Vermont Governor's Institute in Mathematical Sciences, aka Math Camp. This is my second year doing it, and it's a ton of fun. I had the kids an hour a day in one of our computer equipped classrooms, and this year we added some additional optional computer time in the late afternoons so they could come back and continue working / playing around. (Last year some of them wanted more time, but there was no time in the schedule when they could come back.) You might enjoy looking at graphs and a...

Re: behavior from Mathematica 7 to Mathematica 8
On 11/19/10 at 5:10 AM, edskulsky@gmail.com (David Skulsky) wrote: >While testing Mathematica 8 on some heritage code, I found a problem >which a colleague traced to a behavioral change in Times[]. >Specifically, the documentation for Times[] states that "0 x >evaluates to 0, but 0.0 x is left unchanged." This appears to be >true in Mathematica 7 but not in Mathematica 8 (at least not under >Mac OS X 10.6.4). >I have informed Wolfram about this change (bug?). I can confirm getting 0. as the result of doing 0.0 x in version 8 but getting 0.x as the...

opening notebooks in mathematica player instead of mathematica
When I double click on a notebook I want just want to view it. Is there a way to default the assigned application to open the mathematica notebooks with the mathematica viewer instead of having mathematica boot up? If I want mathematica to boot up I'll click on the icon. That's on my doc. I'm running Mac OS X 10.5.6 (9G55) on a PowerBook G4 if that helps any. On Mar 12, 2:21 am, Steven Matthew Anderson <AdAstr...@mac.com> wrote: > When I double click on a notebook I want just want to view it. Is ther= e a way to default the assigned application to open the mat...

Re: Mathematica Programmer vs. Programming in Mathematica #2
On 12/13/05 at 3:41 AM, hattons@globalsymmetry.com (Steven T. Hatton) wrote: >Has anybody read both of Roman Maeder's books _The Mathematica >Programmer_ and _Programming in Mathematica_? I specifically mean >the out of print first volume of the former. Yes. I have copies of each within arms length of my desk. >Dose _The Mathematica Programmer_ give a significantly different >perspective than what is presented in _Programming in Mathematica_? I am not sure there is much difference in perspective. But there is a difference in the information covered. Prog...

Mathematica 6 -> Mathematica 7, Histogram problem
I have a feeling that this a stupid question but... In v6 one could convert a vector to a Histogram plot (where each entry in the vector represents a bar) by using the syntax: Needs["Histograms'"] Histogram[vector,FrequencyData->True] Since histograms have been included in the basic v7, this option has disappeared. My question is, is there any way to get the same result by using Histograms in v7? I am aware of the new function BarChart in v7, but I don't want to use it since I have to be able to do LOG plots on the x-axis, which the new histogram fun...

Change in Times[] behavior from Mathematica 7 to Mathematica 8
While testing Mathematica 8 on some heritage code, I found a problem which a colleague traced to a behavioral change in Times[]. Specifically, the documentation for Times[] states that "0 x evaluates to 0, but 0.0 x is left unchanged." This appears to be true in Mathematica 7 but not in Mathematica 8 (at least not under Mac OS X 10.6.4). I have informed Wolfram about this change (bug?). Eli David Skulsky ...

Web resources about - Gaussian Random Field Simulation in Mathematica - comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica

Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Principia states Newton's laws of motion , forming the foundation of classical mechanics , also Newton's law of universal gravitation , and ...

image processing - How do I find Waldo with Mathematica? - Stack Overflow
This was bugging me over the weekend: What is a good way to solve those Where's Waldo? [ 'Wally' outside of North America] puzzles, using Mathematica ...

Stephen Wolfram: The Background and Vision of Mathematica - YouTube
During the Wolfram Mathematica Virtual Conference 2011, Wolfram founder Stephen Wolfram shared the background and vision of Mathematica, including ...

Wolfram Mathematica coming to the iPad
It would appear that Wolfram, the company behind the Siri search engine is bringing its original product, Mathematica , to the iPad. In response ...

Premium Mathematica software free on budget Raspberry Pi
Wolfram Research is giving away its Mathematica software for use on the diminutive, $25 Raspberry Pi computers and debuting a brand-new programming ...

Stephen Wolfram: It was Steve Jobs who named 'Mathematica'
The creator of the answer engine in Siri writes about his long relationship with Jobs Wolfram. Photo: Creative Commons There are a several novel ...

700 New Functions In Wolfram Mathematica 10
Single biggest jump in new functionality in the software's history

New Wolfram Language Brings The Power Of Mathematica To Any Device
... is being expanded into a logic and knowledge engine that can operate locally or in the cloud. Wolfram Research's flagship program Mathematica ...

Mathematica and Wolfram On The Raspberry Pi
[Stephen Wolfram], possibly the only person on Earth who wants a second element named after him, is giving away Mathematica for the Raspberry ...

Wolfram Brings Mathematica Technical Computing to the Web
If you’re a fan of Wolfram’s Mathematica app, you’ll be pleased to hear its comprehensive tools for technical computing are now more accessible. ...