Help: Font problem

Hello,

I'm a Mathematica user, I use Mathematica 5. My OS CentOS 3. I have a
problem about fonts when I use Mathematica.

In the worksheet, it will be many squares when I press BackSpace button,
so I can't delete words while I'm typing.

How to solve the problem?

Thank you very much~

Regards,

Amy Lee

On 15 Sep, 09:12, Amy Lee <openlinuxsou...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a Mathematica user, I use Mathematica 5. My OS CentOS 3. I have a
> problem about fonts when I use Mathematica.
>
> In the worksheet, it will be many squares when I press BackSpace button,
> so I can't delete words while I'm typing.

I'm not quite sure what you're describing here, but it sounds as if
the Backspace key is not working.
Probably it is mapped to a character that doesn't exist in the font,
so it gets displayed as a square.

Why this might be, and what to do about it is discussed here:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/BackspaceDelete/index.html

John Payne

Amy Lee wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a Mathematica user, I use Mathematica 5. My OS CentOS 3. I have a
> problem about fonts when I use Mathematica.
>
> In the worksheet, it will be many squares when I press BackSpace button,
> so I can't delete words while I'm typing.

I am just guessing, but try turning off NumLock and take a look at this:
http://support.wolfram.com/mathematica/systems/linux/general/configurenumlock.html

--
Szabolcs

0
szhorvat (1435)
9/16/2007 8:12:49 AM
Thank you everyone, I've solved the problem.
Regards~

Amy Lee

yahoo.com.au mail problems problems problems
Hello, in the last month I encountered big problems to read mail from yahoo.com.au server. There is no chance to connect to e-mail /www based server. Having logged to www.yahoo.com.au mail window doesn't open waiting for an image from au.adserver.yahoo.com server is that server dead, making reading mail completely impossible ? Ping says, that server is unreachable. What can I do to make things better as in previous months ? Ple ...

Mathematica Font problems
On page ten of the Mathematica v5.2 Tutorial the last equation is: 1 + x^2 + x^4 + x^5 /. x -> 3 But in the actual Tutorial notebook, the -> is a single character that is typed in by ESC->ESC and the font is shown to be Courier New. When I copy the equation and paste it into MS Word, the font changes the right arrow to Mathematica1Mono so remains a single character, because the standard Windows true type Courier New has no right arrow. Mathematica installs "Mathematica1Mono" font along with others. Apparently Mathematica also has a special version of Courier N...

Help with math problem
Hi, Can anyone help me to solve the next math problem? I need to find a math formula that, when I multiple 18 give me the value of= 42, and also that same formula when I multiply 78 give me the value of 185= .. What we are trying to do is that, when the formula be apply to numbers be= tween 18 and 78, the result be between 42 and 185. Thank you for all the help you can provide to me. ...

Help Help Help Help Help
please,help us . we have a seious problem, we are designing a radio controlled car that is guided by the PC, to send the data wireless between the PC and the Car and vice versa. we use 2 transmitter/reciever circuits from 2 seperate radio controlled car each running with a different frequency (27 MHz & 40 MHz)and modify the functionality of each to do the disered work. but on mounting a transmitter(40MHz) and reciever(27MHz) on the car, and attach another transmitter(27MHz) and reciever(40MHz) to the PC; we found that on sending signals from the car to the PC on the transmitter & rec...

Help, pdf font problem
Hi, I've produced a document using InDesign CS and created a PDF file. When viewed under Acrobat (and MacOS Preview) everything looks fine and it prints OK. But when the proofs arrived from the printing company there seems to be a kerning/tracking (?) problem with one particular font. In particular, in any words with a "j" and an "i" together they are just too close to each other and are almost touching. This is not the case on the PDF, they are separated nicely and don't touch. Where to start looking and how to fix this problem? I don't know what softw...

Help with optimization problem in Mathematica
Hello, does anyone know an example of optimization problem which is multidimensional, multicriteria with more than one decision variables ?? Can you give me some references about the topic and if you have some examples? Thanks for your collaboration. ...

Help: X Fonts Problem
Hello, When I'm in Gnome I delete the contents of /tmp directory, after that I can't start ant GUI program. When I restart the computer and then go to runlevel 5, the X server is crashed with following messages: ....... Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list! Fatal server error: could not open default font 'fixed' ....... I really feel confused, then I add a font path into XF86Config file "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts". Then I use &q...

Help: X Fonts Problem
Hello, When I'm in Gnome I delete the contents of /tmp directory, after that I can't start ant GUI program. When I restart the computer and then go to runlevel 5, the X server is crashed with following messages: ....... Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list! Fatal server error: could not open default font 'fixed' ....... I really feel confused, then I add a font path into XF86Config file "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts". Then I use "startx&quo...

help!help!help!help!
I am a student.I am going to make a simulation of a robot (FANUC Robot M-16iB) under the matlab\simulink environment . It is a normal 6DOF robot.I want to realize any angle and any speed (under the max speed) and any position and orientation control. As I just starting to do this new field,I have no experience about it. Can you give me some simulation demo or examples for 6DOF robot? I am very eager to get these.Please write back to me as soon as possible,thank you! Sincerely, Connie&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288;&#12288; zhanglijuan920@sohu.c...

Font problem need help!!!
I recently purchased a Toshiba Tecra 800 with ACPI BIOS v.9.30 and it came loaded with win98. The problem is the font appear to be some wierd type like "system" and the everything is extremely hard to read. I reloaded windows and the font is still bad. Any ideas on what could be wrong? Could it be the display adapter? Clip wrote: > I recently purchased a Toshiba Tecra 800 with ACPI BIOS v.9.30 and it > came loaded with win98. The problem is the font appear to be some > weird type like "system" and the everything is extremely hard to read. > I reloaded windows a...

Problem rendering fonts (?) in mathematica
Hi, I'm running mathematica on Linux mdk 10. Now, everything works fine in shell mode but when I try to use the GUI, all sorts of funny things happen... The backspace key doesn't seem to work. Whenever I press backspace or delete, I get a bunch of squares. see screenshot of problem at http://www.ph.utexas.edu/~daneel/matherr/ Also, the shift+enter dowsn't work, although evaluations can be carried out from the "kernel->evaluate" menu in the GUI Is it a problem with the font server not knowing the path to a font that mathematica nneds, or do I need...

Re: Mathematica Font problems
On 5/31/06 at 6:31 AM, ski@acrobytes.com (Skillman Hunter) wrote: >On page ten of the Mathematica v5.2 Tutorial the last equation is: 1 >+ x^2 + x^4 + x^5 /. x -> 3 But in the actual Tutorial notebook, the >-> is a single character that is typed in by ESC->ESC and the font >is shown to be Courier New. If you set your default input and output format types suitably, you will see Mathematica replace the character sequence "->" to a single character with no need to use the esc key. >When I copy the equation and paste it into MS Word, the font change...

problem with kerkis math fonts
Hi, I want to use kerkis fonts in a beamer presentation but it seems that some symbols are missing. Please, look at this minimal example, if I use lmodern fonts $ \mathbf{\hat{x}}$ works, but not with kmath. Is it a problem with this package? Is it something that am I doing wrong? ------------------------------------- \documentclass[smaller]{beamer} \usepackage[latin1]{inputenc} \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} \usepackage{amsmath} \usepackage{amssymb} \usepackage{kerkis,kmath} %\usepackage{lmodern} \usefonttheme[onlymath]{serif} \begin{document} \begin{frame} $\mathbf{\hat{x}}$ $\mathbf{\hat{a}}...

Math mode and font selection help
Hi guys, I'm new to latex, and I was wondering if you guys could help me out. This is what I want to include in my document: Lys Ser Asp Leu Ile Glu Gly Arg Gly Ile Pro Gly Tyr Arg Stop AAA TCG GAT CTG ATC GAA GGT CGT GGG ATC CCC GGG TAC CGG TAG And I need some sections of the below sequence to have an underbrace with a label (eg, \underbrace{ATCGAA}_{This subsequence is...} I have the following problems with accomplishing this: 1. To use the underbrace, it seems to need to be in math mode, which is fine, but then it italicizes all the characters and strings th...

Web resources about - Help: Font problem - comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica

"The Yale Problem"
... nice woman who was trying to help them, and reducing her to tears. As we’ve seen more and more of this, I’ve begun calling it, “the Yale problem,” ...

January 2016: New Year, Old Problems Edition
... Drop in Nissan Leaf, Toyota Prius demand more than offset gains from Tesla, Chevy Volt Continue reading January 2016: New Year, Old Problems ...

3 of the world’s most popular Apple bloggers all say Apple has a serious problem
... above the rest. According the three of the most popular and widely respected Apple bloggers in the world, however, Apple has a serious problem ...

3 of Apple's closest watchers say the company has a growing problem
... closest watchers, blogger John Gruber, columnist Walt Mossberg, and blogger Jim Dalrymple, all agree that the company has a growing problem ...

Air bag problem: Automakers to recall 5M vehicles
Continental Automotive Systems says moisture can get inside its air bag control computers, causing power supplies to corrode and fail

Japan's two China problems
"The current situation of the Chinese economy is not good for anybody," a top Japanese diplomat told CNBC.

Continental recalls 5 million vehicles for a different kind of airbag problem
This recall, which is completely separate from Takata's recall, involves a faulty control unit.

Sanders: I Have ‘A Real Problem’ With Clinton Speaking Fees
'Money in politics is something the American people are deeply concerned about'

Anthony Martial Is Manchester United's Best Player, And That's Their Problem
Judging by the club’s post-Alex Ferguson travails, it would’ve been perfectly fitting if Anthony Martial—Manchester United’s last-minute solution ...