how to run a shell command in mathematica?

Hi,
I want to change some file's mode such as "chmod a+x some-file" in
mathematica, what should i do?

thx!

0
sunyb (3)

Type in the following command in your Mathematica notebook

Run["chmod a+x some-file"]
0
phy (2)
12/28/2012 7:55:06 PM
Type in the following command in your Mathematica notebook

Run["chmod a+x some-file"]

0
phy (2)

running mathematica from command line
Hi All, I am trying to run mathematica from the command line with the following statements on my mac: 1) mathematica has no problem with the statement below /Applications/Mathematica.app/Contents/MacOS/MathKernel -noprompt -initfile test.m 2) however, mathematica automatically quit the program as soon as I execute the following command. nohup nice /Applications/Mathematica.app/Contents/MacOS/MathKernel -noprompt -initfile test.m > output.out & I was wondering if there is a special command to run under the Mac. Please help. Thanks ...

Running programs from the command line in Mathematica
Hello, Basically, I would like to run the following command from Mathematica: idl /users/burkart/idlpro/autoexportdata.bat If I type this command into a terminal (I'm running Mac OSX Leopard), it works perfectly well. However, if I try the same thing using Mathematica's Run[] command, it does not execute and I get the following result: In[9]:= Run["idl /users/burkart/idlpro/autoexportdata.bat"] Out[9]= 32512 The error code Run[] produces is the same every time and I don't know what it means (might be OS-specific). The command, when executed from the term...

after install mathematica in archlinux .i can not run math or
The last step, I choose register later. Then I can not run math or mathematica. it says bad command or filename. How to do with it? thanks On Sep 6, 12:07 am, ww <huxiaopengs...@gmail.com> wrote: > The last step, I choose register later. > Then I can not run math or mathematica. it says bad command or > filename. > > How to do with it? > thanks It sounds like your path does not include the directory in which you installed Mathematica. Did you get any errors when installing? What version of Mathematica is it? You might try to install it again. Call ...

How to run Mathematica nb file in command line in windows?
How to run Mathematica nb file in command line in windows? For example, you can autorun a file.nb after double click a .bat file in windows I can not handle it well. Thanks On Sep 19, 2:38 am, timedcy <time...@gmail.com> wrote: > How to run Mathematica nb file in command line in windows? > For example, you can autorun a file.nb after double click a .bat file > in windows > I can not handle it well. > Thanks "C:\Program Files\Wolfram Research\Mathematica\7.0\Mathematica.exe" G: \data\birthday.nb "C" would be the drive where your prog...

problem with running mathematica with & sign from command line
Hi All, I am trying to run a notebook that I have created from command line with & sign at the end, and ran into a problem with mathematica quitting the program immediately. I am running mathematica on my Mac. I have no problem when running from the command line with the following statement without the "&" sign: /Applications/Mathematica.app/Contents/MacOS/MathKernel -noprompt -initfile test.m where "test.m" is a script that contains the notebook that I have created. However, mathematica is automatically stop executing when I run from the command lin...

Running two silmultaneous instances of mathematica using a command line
We have Mathematica 5.0 for Windows running a real-time SPC manufacturing application. We can manually set two notebooks to run simultaneously in two separate instances of Mathematica. However, we would like to programmatically set up Mathematica so that an in-house scheduler program shutdowns and starts both Mathematica processes when any out-of-our-control situation occurs. When running our non-Mathematica scheduler, if we send to execute "Mathematica.exe first.nb" the application starts running first.nb successfully. If we send the second notebook to execute ("...

math =!= mathematica
Does somebody know why I get different behaviour for the following commands in a commandline session of mathematica 7 or inside a notebook? It also seems to be different in different Mathematica versions for the notebook format. See http://www.risc.jku.at/people/hemmecke/mathematica/ for the notebook files for Mathematica 5.2, 6.0, 7.0. Can someone explain the General::dupsym: The symbol Array with context A` already exists. message? Why does that message appear at all? If A`Array exists, then Mathematica should just use it, shouldn't it? According to http://reference.wol...

Best command for running shell command
I'm a little bit confused about what is the best way to run a shell command, if I want to run a command like xxxxxx -a -b > yyyyyy where I'm not interested in the output, I only want to make sure that the command was executed OK. How should I invoke this (in a Unix/linux environment)? The command module seem to give the resulting output and the various popen commands seem to be similar. In article <0001HW.C0D95C2600E03045F0284530@News.Individual.DE>, Donald Duck <bluejump@mac.com> wrote: > I'm a little bit confused about what is the best way to run a...

Mathematica
Hi All Any one knows if there are any good summary of important command to be use in mathematica with simple instruction and graphics to go along? I just started using this software and hope to grab some basics. The tutorial in the software not too appealing for me. I do not know why rgds and thanks Jason Jason, The best thing is to give yourself a crash course in Mathematica before attempting to use it in your work or studies. The best course is to work through most of Part I of The Book, actually typing in commands and seeing that they work. The only way to learn the s...

Mathematica
http://www.wolfram.com/ Mathematica seems to have similar problems or did I miss something? (Sure thing!) *\jk not the q's wrote: > http://www.wolfram.com/ > > Mathematica seems to have similar problems or > did I miss something? (Sure thing!) Similar problems to what? -- Dr Jon D Harrop, Flying Frog Consultancy http://www.ffconsultancy.com/products/?u "Jon Harrop" <jon@ffconsultancy.com> wrote in message news:UKOdnUZhX4DzJ97VnZ2dnUVZ8tfinZ2d@posted.plusnet... > not the q's wrote: >> http://www.wolfram.com/ >&...

[Mathematica 6] Sudden shutdown of Mathematica. No error messages, no traces, no warning. Mathematica just disappears from desktop
I've noticed this now more than one time. I would say this has happened to me about 5-6 times already since I started using Mathematica 6 which is about 2 weeks now. This is what happens: I'll be working on an open notebook, and do something, for example, just now, I went to do SAVE AS to save the notebook. Mathematica would just disappear in split second. No errors, nothing. I look and it is just gone. All windows gone. No traces. I have to restart Mathematica. And I just lost all my work for the last 30 minutes. Strange thing is now when I open the document sin...

can I run unix shell command in the ModelSim shell?
Hi, Just wonder if I can run unix shell command in the Modelsim shell, expecially those time/date command? Thanks. clinton__bill@hotmail.com wrote: > Hi, > Just wonder if I can run unix shell command in the Modelsim shell, > expecially those time/date command? ModelSim uses Tcl as its scripting language so (almost) anything you can do from Tcl can be done in ModelSim. Tcl has a variety of shell and file interaction commands available. Of course, if you want to execute Unix commands, you need to be running on a Unix (or Cygwin) system. Note that Tcl commands are NOT direct...

Wolfram reinvents Mathematica with Mathematica 6
Mathematica 6 is now available, introducing over 1,000 groundbreaking technologies developed over more than a decade at Wolfram Research. Mathematica 6 takes technical computing to a new level: more tightly bound, more natural, and more automated, applicable to a far wider range of areas than ever before. Central to this achievement is "instant interactivity"--taking models, computations, or just about any concept and turning them into fully interactive applications, sometimes within seconds. In addition to the new capabilities for instant development, Mathematica 6 is also optimiz...

Wolfram reinvents Mathematica with Mathematica 6
Mathematica 6 is now available, introducing over 1,000 groundbreaking technologies developed over more than a decade at Wolfram Research. Mathematica 6 takes technical computing to a new level: more tightly bound, more natural, and more automated, applicable to a far wider range of areas than ever before. Central to this achievement is "instant interactivity"--taking models, computations, or just about any concept and turning them into fully interactive applications, sometimes within seconds. In addition to the new capabilities for instant development, Mathematica 6 is also optimiz...

Web resources about - how to run a shell command in mathematica? - comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica

Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Principia states Newton's laws of motion , forming the foundation of classical mechanics , also Newton's law of universal gravitation , and ...

image processing - How do I find Waldo with Mathematica? - Stack Overflow
This was bugging me over the weekend: What is a good way to solve those Where's Waldo? [ 'Wally' outside of North America] puzzles, using Mathematica ...

Stephen Wolfram: The Background and Vision of Mathematica - YouTube
During the Wolfram Mathematica Virtual Conference 2011, Wolfram founder Stephen Wolfram shared the background and vision of Mathematica, including ...

Wolfram Mathematica coming to the iPad
It would appear that Wolfram, the company behind the Siri search engine is bringing its original product, Mathematica , to the iPad. In response ...

Premium Mathematica software free on budget Raspberry Pi
Wolfram Research is giving away its Mathematica software for use on the diminutive, $25 Raspberry Pi computers and debuting a brand-new programming ...

Stephen Wolfram: It was Steve Jobs who named 'Mathematica'
The creator of the answer engine in Siri writes about his long relationship with Jobs Wolfram. Photo: Creative Commons There are a several novel ...

700 New Functions In Wolfram Mathematica 10
Single biggest jump in new functionality in the software's history

New Wolfram Language Brings The Power Of Mathematica To Any Device
... is being expanded into a logic and knowledge engine that can operate locally or in the cloud. Wolfram Research's flagship program Mathematica ...

Mathematica and Wolfram On The Raspberry Pi
[Stephen Wolfram], possibly the only person on Earth who wants a second element named after him, is giving away Mathematica for the Raspberry ...

Wolfram Brings Mathematica Technical Computing to the Web
If you’re a fan of Wolfram’s Mathematica app, you’ll be pleased to hear its comprehensive tools for technical computing are now more accessible. ...