Mac OS X 10.5 - Mathematica 5.1 hangs - 6.0 works?

I have Mathematica 5.1. After the upgrade of Mac OS X to 10.5 (Leopard)
it seems to hang forever when I start it, using 95%+ of CPU time.

Is it not compatible? And is version 6.0 compatible?

I could not easily find the information on Wolfram's website.

TIA

Marc

--
remove bye and from mercial to get valid e-mail
<http://www.heusser.com>

On Nov 12, 4:15 am, Marc Heusser
<marc.heus...@byeheusser.commercialspammers.invalid> wrote:
> I have Mathematica 5.1. After the upgrade of Mac OS X to 10.5 (Leopard)
> it seems to hang forever when I start it, using 95%+ of CPU time.
>
> Is it not compatible? And is version 6.0 compatible?

I just tried 5.1.1 and it runs on 10.5.  6.0 & 5.2 certainly run fine
on 10.5.  Is the problem not that it is hanging, but perhaps that is
just taking a very long time to start up?  I have observed that
sometimes Rosetta takes a while to start up.  Are you seeing the
problem on an Intel machine?

-Rob

0
ragfield (223)
11/13/2007 8:32:39 AM
On Nov 12, 10:15 am, Marc Heusser
<marc.heus...@byeheusser.commercialspammers.invalid> wrote:
> I have Mathematica 5.1. After the upgrade of Mac OS X to 10.5 (Leopard)
> it seems to hang forever when I start it, using 95%+ of CPU time.
>
> Is it not compatible? And is version 6.0 compatible?
>
> I could not easily find the information on Wolfram's website.

I can't comment on Mathematica 5.1 but I have Mathematica 6.0
installed on Leopard and it seems to be fine except for an error
installing the Notebook Indexer. I say seems to be fine since I am not
a Mathematica user, just someone who has to check stuff like whether
or not Mathematica installs and launches OK as part of their job. If
it installs and launches without spewing errors I assume it's OK
unless someone complains.

When I first ran Mathematica I was asked whether I wanted to install
the  Wolfram Notebook Indexer plugin for Spotlight. I said yes and the
installer did it's stuff then told me:

The following install step failed: run postinstall script for Wolfram
Notebook Indexer. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

According to the logs it tried to /System/Library/Frameworks/
ApplicationServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/
Support/lsregister
and that doesn't exist. lsregister exists but it's at /System/Library/
Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/
Support/lsregister
I suspect the plugin isn't working but can't be bothered to try and
workout how to test that. Can't find any references to the issue as
yet, I was looking to see if there were any on this group.

mike

In article <fhbnf7$qsl$1@smc.vnet.net>, ragfield <ragfield@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Nov 12, 4:15 am, Marc Heusser
> <marc.heus...@byeheusser.commercialspammers.invalid> wrote:
> > I have Mathematica 5.1. After the upgrade of Mac OS X to 10.5 (Leopard)
> > it seems to hang forever when I start it, using 95%+ of CPU time.
> >
> > Is it not compatible? And is version 6.0 compatible?
>
> I just tried 5.1.1 and it runs on 10.5.  6.0 & 5.2 certainly run fine
> on 10.5.  Is the problem not that it is hanging, but perhaps that is
> just taking a very long time to start up?  I have observed that
> sometimes Rosetta takes a while to start up.  Are you seeing the
> problem on an Intel machine?
>
> -Rob

Yes, it is a Mac Book Pro.
I have version 5.1.0. To verify, I just started it up again - and it
runs.
So I will see whether I can upgrade to 5.2 or at least 5.1.1 for free.

Thank you

Marc

--

inevercheckthisaddress@hotmail.com wrote:
> I can't comment on Mathematica 5.1 but I have Mathematica 6.0
> installed on Leopard and it seems to be fine except for an error
> installing the Notebook Indexer. I say seems to be fine since I am not
> a Mathematica user, just someone who has to check stuff like whether
> or not Mathematica installs and launches OK as part of their job. If
> it installs and launches without spewing errors I assume it's OK
> unless someone complains.
>
> When I first ran Mathematica I was asked whether I wanted to install
> the  Wolfram Notebook Indexer plugin for Spotlight. I said yes and the
> installer did it's stuff then told me:
>
> The following install step failed: run postinstall script for Wolfram
> Notebook Indexer. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.

To to follow up on this, I wrote to Wolfram and got this back:

------------------
In testing the compatibility of Mathematica with Mac OS X 10.5
('Leopard'), we have found an issue that prevents the Spotlight
Notebook
Indexer from installing. We are working with Apple to  resolve this
problem. The compatibility of Mathematica with Leopard	is not
otherwise
affected.
------------------

mike

If the Spotlight notebook indexer is already installed before going to
Leopard, it is still present -- as reported by Mathematica itself.

I filed a bug about this problem to both Apple and Wolfram during the
beta tests for both Mathematica 6 and Leopard.

george

On Nov 15, 2007, at 5:43 AM, inevercheckthisaddress@hotmail.com wrote:

> inevercheckthisaddress@hotmail.com wrote:
>> I can't comment on Mathematica 5.1 but I have Mathematica 6.0
>> installed on Leopard and it seems to be fine except for an error
>> installing the Notebook Indexer. I say seems to be fine since I am
>> not
>> a Mathematica user, just someone who has to check stuff like whether
>> or not Mathematica installs and launches OK as part of their job. If
>> it installs and launches without spewing errors I assume it's OK
>> unless someone complains.
>>
>> When I first ran Mathematica I was asked whether I wanted to install
>> the  Wolfram Notebook Indexer plugin for Spotlight. I said yes and
>> the
>> installer did it's stuff then told me:
>>
>> The following install step failed: run postinstall script for Wolfram
>> Notebook Indexer. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.
>
> To to follow up on this, I wrote to Wolfram and got this back:
>
> ------------------
> In testing the compatibility of Mathematica with Mac OS X 10.5
> ('Leopard'), we have found an issue that prevents the Spotlight
> Notebook
> Indexer from installing. We are working with Apple to  resolve this
> problem. The compatibility of Mathematica with Leopard	is not
> otherwise
> affected.
> ------------------
>
> mike

0
georgevw3 (125)
11/16/2007 10:19:59 AM
So much for beta testing, right?

Bobby

--
DrMajorBob@bigfoot.com

0
drmajorbob (532)
11/17/2007 10:29:55 AM
In article <fhc3it$4td$1@smc.vnet.net>,
 Marc Heusser <marc.heusser@byeheusser.commercialspammers.invalid>
 wrote:

> In article <fhbnf7$qsl$1@smc.vnet.net>, ragfield <ragfield@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Nov 12, 4:15 am, Marc Heusser
> > <marc.heus...@byeheusser.commercialspammers.invalid> wrote:
> > > I have Mathematica 5.1. After the upgrade of Mac OS X to 10.5 (Leopard)
> > > it seems to hang forever when I start it, using 95%+ of CPU time.
> > >
> > > Is it not compatible? And is version 6.0 compatible?
> >
> > I just tried 5.1.1 and it runs on 10.5.  6.0 & 5.2 certainly run fine
> > on 10.5.  Is the problem not that it is hanging, but perhaps that is
> > just taking a very long time to start up?  I have observed that
> > sometimes Rosetta takes a while to start up.  Are you seeing the
> > problem on an Intel machine?
> >
> > -Rob
>
> Yes, it is a Mac Book Pro.
> I have version 5.1.0. To verify, I just started it up again - and it
> runs.
> So I will see whether I can upgrade to 5.2 or at least 5.1.1 for free.

Mathematica 5.1.0.0 runs stable on MAc OS X 10.5.1 on an Intel Core 2
Duo machine.

I still haven't figured out where to download Mathematica 5.1.1 or 5.2
but did not encounter problems.

Marc