Mathematica 9 does not read mathematica 8 ".mx" files

Having written a lot of code on M8, I recently switched to M9 and tried to
run the code which starts by loading an .mx file written by M8, but M9 wouldn't read it saying that it was written on another machine. This is a major incompatibility issue between M8 and M9. Fortunately I kept my M8 installation, so for now, M9 is useless to me.
Please a solution.

0
noomenov (2)

On Tuesday, December 11, 2012 2:23:46 AM UTC-5, NBM wrote:
> Having written a lot of code on M8, I recently switched to M9 and tried to
>
> run the code which starts by loading an .mx file written by M8, but M9 wouldn't read it saying that it was written on another machine. This is a major incompatibility issue between M8 and M9. Fortunately I kept my M8 installation, so for now, M9 is useless to me.
>
> Please a solution.

Keep V8 around, or convert your MX files to WDX.

Current and previous Mathematica documentation says that MX files are not portable across versions of Mathematica, i.e.

MX files cannot be exchanged between different operating systems or versions of Mathematica.

0
blueschi (99)

Re: Mathematica 9 does not read mathematica 8 ".mx" files
On 12/14/12 at 2:58 AM, noomenov@gmail.com (noomen mechri) wrote: >Thanks for your reply! yes, that's what I had to do ... rerun the >whole calculation on M9 which again took a few hours!! (I know ... >not good at optimizing code) But then what is the purpose of having >.mx files to save the workspace variables for future use ... if they >can only be read by the version in which they have been produced ... >it is senseless ... No. It is still useful for saving time from one session to the next in the same version on the same machine. It is just the .mx format cannot be used for something more than this at this point in time. Note, it is possible to create data files that do preserve variables that can be used across versions and platforms. For example, if you create a text file with a={{4,3,5},{3.24,5.38,3.98},{0,1,0}}; in it and load it with Get, then the variable a will be created with the expected value in any version of Mathematica on any platform. True, this will not load as quickly as a .mx file and you have more work to do to create this type of file form Mathematica than simply using DumpSave. Also, if you think about it, minimum load/write times for computations would be achieved by simply writing out whatever is in memory to storage in the format it is in. Anything else requires some CPU effort to modify format during the load/write process. And if you forgo any processing during the load/write process to mi...

[Mathematica 6] "formatting notebook contents" messages, why so many in Mathematica 6?
Hello; I noticed that using Mathematica 6 I keep getting pop-up window messages saying " formatting notebook contents" every once in a while. Any ideas why this is so? and what it means? ps. I do have Manipulate[] call somewhere in the notebook, not sure if it is related or not. Thanks, Nasser On Aug 12, 4:41 am, "Nasser Abbasi" <n...@12000.org> wrote: > Hello; > > I noticed that using Mathematica 6 I keep getting pop-up window messages > saying " > formatting notebook contents" every once in a while. > Any ideas...

problem with mathematica ---> Get::"noopen": "Cannot open ("Graphics`Graphics`'")."
Hi, everyone. I have a problem with Mathematica 9. In[1]:= << ComputationalGeometry` << Graphics`Graphics` << LinearAlgebra`MatrixManipulation` Get::noopen: "Cannot open \!\(\"Graphics`Graphics`\"\)" Out[2]= $Failed Get::noopen: "Cannot open \!\(\"LinearAlgebra`MatrixManipulation`\"\)." Out[3]= $Failed I actually have all of these three packages, ComputationalGeometry, Graphics`Graphics`, LinearAlgebra`MatrixManipulation`. The first one can be read, but the last two cannot be opened. How can I do? Thanks in advance. Bowen ...

"Mathematica was unable to open the file . . . "
Mac iBook, OS 9.2, Mathematica 4.2: When I open any notebook that has a "]" (right square bracket) in it, or type same into a new empty notebook, the above message comes up in a dialog box, followed by " . . . Mathematica 4.2 Files:System Files:FrontEnd:Text:Resources: Macintosh:UnicodeLanguageFontMapping.tr" Clicking the go-away button makes the box go away and Mathematica runs apparently OK, except all ]'s appear on screen replaced by, some days ago it was "oB" (in boldface, with the "o" being a raised degree sy...

Re: problem with mathematica ---> Get::"noopen": "Cannot open ("Graphics`Graphics`'")."
On 9/2/13 at 2:47 AM, bowen.raymone@gmail.com wrote: >I have a problem with Mathematica 9. >In[1]:= << ComputationalGeometry` ><< Graphics`Graphics` ><< LinearAlgebra`MatrixManipulation` >I actually have all of these three packages, ComputationalGeometry, >Graphics`Graphics`, LinearAlgebra`MatrixManipulation`. The first one >can be read, but the last two cannot be opened. The last two are obsolete packages. Functions in them were moved to the Kernel or replaced with other functions in the Kernel. The last version of Mathematica that installed these packages was version 8 and they were installed in the LegacyPackages directory inside the AddOns directory. They are not installed with version 9 which is why you are getting the error messages above. If you have these packages on your hard drive, they could be loaded using the full path name to the .m file. But, when you load them you will get lots of warning messages since many of the function names conflict with built-in functions. Also, they may well not work as expected in version 9. ...

Re: Just another Mathematica "Gotcha" #9
> In primary schools one does not learn about // or /. thus the need for > parentheses is subtle. Using FullForm (or writing in Lisp) makes such > issues disappear. Of course one of those was covered in elementary school. 4.5/.3 = ? > I think that making /. and // same precedence would not be a bad idea. > > The double (or triple) clicking on the operator is nice to know about, > but doesn't help for people who compose programs off-line. > > RJF I'm not convinced making them the same precedence would be without consequence. (Since we do...

Re: Mathematica 8 "natural language" capabilities
On 11/18/10 at 7:08 AM, jalex@lse.ac.uk (J. McKenzie Alexander) wrote: >Has anyone been able to get the "natural language" capabilities of >Mathematica 8 to work as described? If I type Ctrl+= followed by >=09plot sin x and cos x >as listed in the examples, I get an error message saying that no >Mathematica translations exist. Yet if I evaluate >=09WolframAlpha["plot sin x and cos x"] >I get the output I would expect. My guess is this has to do with the ambiguity present. Should plot sin x and cos x be translated to Plot[Sin[x]+...

mathematica 6 saves notebook to an "empy" file
Dear Mathgroup Recently I have encountered a very nasty problem with Mathematica 6.0. When I create a notebook and save this to a .nb file the resulting file is always 195 bytes large and only contains the following text (* Content-type: application/mathematica *) (*** Wolfram Notebook File ***) (* http://www.wolfram.com/nb *) (* CreatedBy='Mathematica 6.0' *) (* End of internal cache information *) No matter what was in the notebook. This means that effectively I cannot save my work anymore. As a work around I save my notebooks as a package file (*.m) and then co...

Mathematica does not see "}"
Hi, Any good idea why Mathematica 9.0.1 on MacOSX 10.8.5 is complaining about this line below? Sorry for the Input text, but plain text do not show it. In the code I copied and pasted this line from another place, but that should not matter. or should ? Looks to me that Mathematica is not seeing the "}" character on this line. Looks like it puts some invisible dirt there. I do not want to retype every character in the code. Copy and Paste should work. pLfmDerivationArray = Table[Read[rawfp, Word, WordSeparators -> {"\042 "}],{1}] Syntax::bktmcp : "Expression \"\[NoBreak]{"\042 "}],{1}]\ \[IndentingNewLine]\[NoBreak]\" has no closing \"\[NoBreak]"}"\ \[NoBreak]\"\[NoBreak]""\[NoBreak]." Syntax::bktmcp : "Expression \"\[NoBreak]{"\042 "}],{1}]\ \[IndentingNewLine]\[NoBreak]\" has no closing \"\[NoBreak]"}"\ \[NoBreak]\"\[NoBreak]""\[NoBreak]." Syntax::sntxi : "Incomplete expression; more input is needed \ \[NoBreak]""\[NoBreak]." or pLfmDerivationArray = Table[Read[rawfp, Word, WordSeparators -> {"\042 "}],{1}] Syntax::bktmcp : "Expression \"\[NoBreak]{"\042 "}],{1}]\[NoBreak]\" \ has no closing \"\[NoBreak]"}"\[NoBreak]\"\[NoBreak]""\[NoBreak]." Syntax::bktmcp : "Expression \"\[...

Re: mathematica 6 saves notebook to an "empy" file
I wonder if you might have fouled the global setting for the PrivateNotebookOptions->{"FileContents"} option. You can look at this in the Option Inspector (under the "Notebook Options" category). Set the scope to global, and if this option has an 'x' next to it, then click the 'x' to restore it to its default value. Another possibility would be to press Ctrl+Shift upon startup, which will clean-start Mathematica, removing all of its global settings...of which, the aforementioned option is one such setting. Sincerely, John Fultz jfu...

Re: Mathematica 8 "natural language" capabilities #4
However, the following works: plot sin x and cos x for x=0 to x=pi On 11/19/2010 5:09 AM, Bill Rowe wrote: > On 11/18/10 at 7:08 AM, jalex@lse.ac.uk (J. McKenzie Alexander) > wrote: > >> Has anyone been able to get the "natural language" capabilities of >> Mathematica 8 to work as described? If I type Ctrl+= followed by > >> =09plot sin x and cos x > >> as listed in the examples, I get an error message saying that no >> Mathematica translations exist. Yet if I evaluate > >> =09WolframAlpha["plot sin x and...

Re: Mathematica 8 "natural language" capabilities #2
On 11/19/10 at 5:11 AM, Kevin.McCann@umbc.edu (Kevin J. McCann) wrote: >Type just "=" with not control! You should see the orange equals, >then you are good to go. Try plot sin xy (shift return, and no space >between x and y in the xy). Interesting. In effect, this means the natural language interpreter makes different assumptions about inputs than the local kernel. Other things to try are plot sin ex plot sin ey plot sin y It appears the natural language interpreter does not allow a two letters to be interpreted as a single variable. This seems to mea...

Re: Mathematica 8 "natural language" capabilities #3
On 11/19/10 at 5:11 AM, hpd1@nyu.edu (Harvey P. Dale) wrote: >A single introductory equals sign (without Ctrl) allows natural >language queries of the kernel. Two introductory equals signs allow >natural language queries of Wolfram Alpha. Ctrl+== is used to >modify previously-entered queries. Not so. Disable your internet connection and try using a single equal sign as you suggest doing something such as plot sin x The result will a message saying an internet connection could not be established and that the feature requires an internet connection. That makes it ...

Trying to use Mathematica as "word processor" for my math homework #2
Howdy, I have recently returned to grad school, and am attempting to use mathematica as my "word processor" for my math-related homework. There are a few annoying things that keep happening to my attempts at this, and I thought I'd describe them here in hopes that someone would have some better suggestions. For an example of what I've been doing, see http://www.cse.psu.edu/~rsharris/spamlog/ExampleHW.nb My motivations are (a) it will give me a clean output that will be easier on the grader's eyes, (b) it will make it easier for me to edit changes to equations, etc., and (c) I can include mathematica-generated plots and import drawings from other packages. I've been doing this with some success from the beginning of the fall semester. I'm not incredibly sophistocated with mathematica, but have managed to do this using only InputForm and StandardForm cells (i.e. I have set the cells to DisplayAs one of those two forms, depending on whether the cell contains running text or equations). This sort of works, but there are many shortcomings: 1) Mathematica likes to auto format things, so it is difficult for me to get things to line up the way I want them to. This has made the inclusion of mathematical symbology in my running text difficult. I think I have discovered that displaying a cell as Text rather than InputForm is better, but haven't tried it much yet. 2) In many cases when I include a plot, or an i...

Ingolf Dahl's "SetFaceAndFont" palette broken in Mathematica 9
This refers to Ingolf Dahl's palette SetFaceAndFont -- see: http://www.familydahl.se/mathematica/#SetFaceAndFont I've been using it for some years as the quickest way to apply various formatting to selected text. E.g., in a Text cell select a Mathematica name and click the palette's button that changes the font to Courier. Or select some text and change its font to Times Italic. Or change the background color for the selection to a light yellow. But with Mathematica 9 (or at least 9.0.1), clicking one of the palette's buttons now applies the effect to the entire cell -- not just to the selection. Has anybody else experienced this? What might be the reason for the change in behavior and how might it be fixed? --- Murray Eisenberg murray@math.umass.edu Mathematics & Statistics Dept. Lederle Graduate Research Tower phone 413 549-1020 (H) University of Massachusetts 413 545-2838 (W) 710 North Pleasant Street fax 413 545-1801 Amherst, MA 01003-9305 Am 19.02.2013 07:09, schrieb Murray Eisenberg: > This refers to Ingolf Dahl's palette SetFaceAndFont -- see: > > http://www.familydahl.se/mathematica/#SetFaceAndFont > > I've been using it for some years as the quickest way to apply various > formatting to selected text. E.g., in a Text cell select a Mathematica > name a...

RE: Trying to use Mathematica as "word processor" for my math homework #2
Hi Bob, <snippage> > It seems like what I'm after is the same sort of set up that > someone writing > a paper for publicatiojn would need. Have looked for such > examples, but > have not found any. Try Paul Abbott's examples at http://www.physics.uwa.edu.au/~paul/publications.html. In the conference publications section, there are some tutorials. There are also some theses as notebooks that may suit your purposes. Regards, Dave. ========================================== Dr. David Annetts EM Modelling Analyst CSIRO DEM ...

Can I use Visual C++ to call "Mathematica 4.0" to open a "nb_file" and calculate the result .??
I get a problem that I have to write a friendly GUI users_form for a difficult mathematica file (nb file) that was written by some one else. Can I just call "Mathematica 4.0 kernel" to open a "nb_file" and calculate the result using DLL method or OLE method?? I try to understand what "mathlink " is for...... Is "mathlink" can do my job??? is it only for using that "C source code" to be calculated in mathematica?? Thanks Ming-Te Hsiung Hi, You must open the *Front...

nvidia cards that works with Mathematica 8 & Mathematica 9
Dear expects, I have a GeForce nvidia card (GTX670); trying to do CUDA programming. Mathematica 8 doesn't seem to recognise my card. I have 2 questions: [1]Is there any other way that I can make Mathematica 8 recognise GeForce nvidia card (GTX670)? [2]Does Mathematica 9 recognise GeForce nvidia card (GTX670)? [3] Where can i get the lists of nvidia cards cards recognised by Mathematica 8/9? Thank you in advance for your help guys. ...

Re: "set" data structure in Mathematica? (speeding up graph traversal function) #9
With this solution, if more than one graph is to be analysed then the memoized functions that don't take g as a parameter must be Cleared between uses otherwise the results will be incorrect. I prefer to take the cautious approach and write properly encapsulated code that removes such a risk. Presumably there is some way of handling it automatically that would retain the performance increase (perhaps by checking the DownValues of the main function to see if the graph has changed). But that assumes that you never want to call the subsidiary functions directly. It all depends on use ...

Re: "set" data structure in Mathematica? (speeding up graph traversal function) #8
Am 29.03.2011 13:52, schrieb Ray Koopman: .... > I also have a question. I have the impresssion that you prefer /; > conditional definitions to If tests in the body of a function. > If that's correct, do you have evidence that it's faster, or is it > just a stylistic preference -- you think the code is easier to read, > maintain, etc? >... I didn't have had a close look at all the suggestions, but I know that "/;" works in pattern matching and If[c,t,e] works in functions. Usually the latter are faster but sometimes patterns are easier to se...

Mathematica and "Ruby on Rails"
Re Mathematica 6.0.2 under MacOS 10.5. After a Ruby on Rails program has updated an SQL database such as MySQL, and Ruby has piped a "start" command to a Mathematica kernel, how would Mathematica respond to let Ruby know it had finished working on a calculation and updated the database? Thankx. Bruce On Jul 10, 3:59 am, Bruce Colletti <bwcolle...@verizon.net>ZZ wrote: > Re Mathematica 6.0.2 under MacOS 10.5. > > After a Ruby on Rails program has updated an SQL database such as MySQL, = andRubyhas piped a "start" command to a Mathematica ker...

"Accumulate" in Mathematica 6
Very sadly, Mathematica 6 is not supported under Irix - so I can't play with it practically - but I noticed in the online documentation that there is a new function "Accumulate[list]", defined to be equivalent to "Rest[FoldList[Plus, 0, list]]", giving a list of the successive accumulated totals of the elements in <list>. Funny. While it was considered obsolete and superseded by "FoldList" in Mathematica 2, Mathematica 1 (!) already did have a function "Accumulate", defined as Accumulate[f, g[e1, e2, e3, ...]] <==> g[e1, f[e1, e2], f[f[e1, e2], e3], ....] so that Accumulate[Plus, Range[5]] <==> {1, 3, 6, 10, 15} However, "Accumulate" in Mathematica 1 clearly was not restricted to "Plus" but rather specifically intended for dealing with functions that take exactly two arguments - so, I believe that "Accumulate" in Mathematica 6 is much less usable than the former in Mathematica 1. Maybe I'm missing something here - but what was the rationale behind re-implementing "Accumulate" in such a restricted version now? Thanks. /oskar Oskar Itzinger wrote: > Very sadly, Mathematica 6 is not supported under Irix - so I can't play with > it practically - but I noticed in the online > > documentation that there is a new function "Accumulate[list]", defined to be > equivalent to "Rest[Fol...

Mathematica "Interpolation" function
Hello, I'm trying to understand how mathematica produces interpolations in 1D with the "Interpolation" command. I understood it uses piecewise polynomial of the degree specified by InterpolationOrder. As far as I understand this method never produces truly smooth functions as nothing is done to elimitate the jump discontinuities in the derivatives of the joined polynomials. Iimagine that these discontinuities may be small, but they are nontheless there. Could anybody confirm this? Am I correct? Lorenzo Hi Lorenzo, you are right. Consider an interpolation w...

"Mathematica in Education and Research"
Just received the first email list-serve mailing that I can remember receiving from Mathematica in Education and Research "Volume 10 Issue number 4 is out now." <http://www.ijournals.net> including the ToC and brief abstracts for that issue. Don't know for sure how I got on this list, but I suspect I probably subscribed after seeing their List-Subscribe link: <http://www.ijournals.net/lists/?p=subscribe&id=2> in some posting on this group. I'd like to ask for any info anyone may have about the publication and distr...

Web resources about - Mathematica 9 does not read mathematica 8 ".mx" files - comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica

Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Principia states Newton's laws of motion , forming the foundation of classical mechanics , also Newton's law of universal gravitation , and ...

image processing - How do I find Waldo with Mathematica? - Stack Overflow
This was bugging me over the weekend: What is a good way to solve those Where's Waldo? [ 'Wally' outside of North America] puzzles, using Mathematica ...

Stephen Wolfram: The Background and Vision of Mathematica - YouTube
During the Wolfram Mathematica Virtual Conference 2011, Wolfram founder Stephen Wolfram shared the background and vision of Mathematica, including ...

Wolfram Mathematica coming to the iPad
It would appear that Wolfram, the company behind the Siri search engine is bringing its original product, Mathematica , to the iPad. In response ...

Premium Mathematica software free on budget Raspberry Pi
Wolfram Research is giving away its Mathematica software for use on the diminutive, $25 Raspberry Pi computers and debuting a brand-new programming ...

Stephen Wolfram: It was Steve Jobs who named 'Mathematica'
The creator of the answer engine in Siri writes about his long relationship with Jobs Wolfram. Photo: Creative Commons There are a several novel ...

700 New Functions In Wolfram Mathematica 10
Single biggest jump in new functionality in the software's history

New Wolfram Language Brings The Power Of Mathematica To Any Device
... is being expanded into a logic and knowledge engine that can operate locally or in the cloud. Wolfram Research's flagship program Mathematica ...

Mathematica and Wolfram On The Raspberry Pi
[Stephen Wolfram], possibly the only person on Earth who wants a second element named after him, is giving away Mathematica for the Raspberry ...

Wolfram Brings Mathematica Technical Computing to the Web
If you’re a fan of Wolfram’s Mathematica app, you’ll be pleased to hear its comprehensive tools for technical computing are now more accessible. ...