No Memory Available

Dear Mathematica Experts,

I am using NDSolve to do integration in time for 24 variables. I can choose
only to do the integration for a short time range, otherwise I get the
error:

No more memory available.
Mathematica kernel has shut down.
Try quitting other applications and then retry.

What frustrates me is that I get this error only after a minute or so
although I can accept to carry out the run for a much longer time to reach
the steady state solution but this error prevents me from this by killing
the whole kernel.
I tried to set the Historylength to zero with no improvement.
I checked the documentation and previous threads on this error but could not
find any thing useful.

Is there a way I can increase the allocated memory even virtually, or may be
tell Mathematica to wipe the memory out during the run?

Thanks in advance.

--
Adel Elsabbagh
http://www.svlab-asu.com/aelsabbagh.html

0
aelsabbagh (15)

Adel Elsabbagh wrote:

> I am using NDSolve to do integration in time for 24 variables. I can choose
> only to do the integration for a short time range, otherwise I get the
> error:
>
> No more memory available.
> Mathematica kernel has shut down.
> Try quitting other applications and then retry.

<snip>

> Is there a way I can increase the allocated memory even virtually, or may be

Though you did not tell us, I believe you are using a 32-bit system,
which mean that depending on the combination of hardware and operating
system, a user process can get between 2 and about 3 GB of virtual
memory maximum. This is hardware (Intel, AMD, PowerPC, Sparc,
....)/operating system (Linux, UNIX, MAC OS X, Windows
98/Me/XP/Vista/Server2003...) dependent.

> tell Mathematica to wipe the memory out during the run?

ClearSystemCache["Numeric"] or ClearSystemCache[] might help reclaiming
some memory (assuming you are using version 6.x.x).

http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/ref/ClearSystemCache.html

Anyway, it is really hard to be specific without any hint about your
hardware, software, and the system you are trying to solve.

Regards,
-- Jean-Marc

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 2:43 PM, Adel Elsabbagh  wrote:

<snip>

> I have an Intel Core 2 Duo processor (2.66GHz), with 3GB ram. OS is 32 bit
> windows XP Pro.
> I am using Mathematica 6.0

[... Cross posted to MathGroup ...]

OK. AFAIK, the default/standard system configuration of Windows XP
Professional 32-bit edition allows only 2 GB of memory per user
process, i.e. each individual user/application process will not be
allowed by the operating system to request memory over this 2 GB
limit, even though the theoretical limit is 4 GB on a 32-bit system.

Now, there exist two switches for this version of Windows that allows
the system to allocate up to 3 GB per user process. See the following
articles [1, 2] to get detailed explanations and directions about how
to use them:

"On 32-bit versions of Windows, the /3GB parameter enables 4-gigabyte
(GB) random access memory (RAM) Tuning, a feature that enlarges the
user-mode virtual address space to 3 GB and restricts the kernel-mode
components to the remaining 1 GB.  [1]"

Alone and/or combine with $HistoryLength=0 and ClearSystemCache[],
this might solve your memory issue.

Best regards,
- Jean-Marc

[1] "A description of the 4 GB RAM Tuning feature and the Physical
Address Extension parameter",
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291988

[2] "Memory Management - Demystifying /3GB"
http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/archive/2007/03/23/memory-management-demystifying-3gb.aspx