No more memory available.

During this calculation:

Det[m]

the kernel has jammed and the following message has been visualized

No more memory available.
Mathematica kernel has shut down.

it is possible to overcome this obstacle increasing the memory or it
is a non surmountable limit  of the  windows XP vers 32 bit ?

Thanks for the help

If you search this forum or google for key words like "no more memory
available" you would get your answer.

I personally suspect that Mathematica has problems with Intel HT
because running the same code on 64bit machine with 8gb of ram gives
the exact same error message, while running it on AMD cpu or Intel w/o
HT (or HT disabled) yields the result.  The easiest way to handle this
problem is to disable HT in bios.  Also, new version of Mathematica
might have addressed this problem. I know 5.0 does not.

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 06:13:03 +0000 (UTC), "Mukhtar Bekkali"
<mbekkali@gmail.com> wrote:

>If you search this forum or google for key words like "no more memory
>available" you would get your answer.
>
>I personally suspect that Mathematica has problems with Intel HT
>because running the same code on 64bit machine with 8gb of ram gives
>the exact same error message, while running it on AMD cpu or Intel w/o
>HT (or HT disabled) yields the result.  The easiest way to handle this
>problem is to disable HT in bios.  Also, new version of Mathematica
>might have addressed this problem. I know 5.0 does not.

I am using Mathematica 5.1

Excuse me

  calculation  is :

m= Table[i^2+i*j*3.23.....,{i,10000},[j,10000} ];
Det[ m]

the program jams for lack of memory. Now neglecting the nature of the
calculation above suitable I wonder me because this happens
My computer has 1 GB of Ram, Processor AMD 3400+ , Win XP 32 Bit.
I have tried to plan the virtual memory to a superior value to 4 GBs
hoping to resolve the problem. Looking however at the virtual memory
during the calculation is seen that at the most 2,3 GBs are used only.
I have tried then to realize the calculation installing Win XP 64 Bit
with file system Ntfs + Mathematica 5.2 (64 Bit)4 GB RAM,  but the
problem is not resolved
I think that increasing the RAM I could resolve but I don't understand
the nature of the problem. How is the memory managed? As it is
possible to esteem previously if my hardaware+software allows the
calculation that I want to perform?

Thanks for the help