Numerical Solver for 2D/3D (Reaction-)Diffusion equation

I'm trying to solve numerically a 2d/3d reaction-diffusion equation
using NDSolve. The system can be solved for one spatial dimension (+
time dimension), but it does not converge for two spatial dimensions
(x,y,t). Actually, I'm trying to use polar coordinates (r, phi, t),
because the problem has a point source.

I'm using NDsolve with the following method:
Method -> {"MethodOfLines", "SpatialDiscretization" ->
{"TensorProductGrid", "Coordinates" -> myGrid}

which fails. Can you recommend a better method to solve the problem in
2D (and eventually in 3D) ?

Kind regards,
   Alois

0
Alois

On Tue, 4 Jan 2011, Alois wrote:

> I'm trying to solve numerically a 2d/3d reaction-diffusion equation
> using NDSolve. The system can be solved for one spatial dimension (+
> time dimension), but it does not converge for two spatial dimensions
> (x,y,t). Actually, I'm trying to use polar coordinates (r, phi, t),
> because the problem has a point source.
>
> I'm using NDsolve with the following method:
> Method -> {"MethodOfLines", "SpatialDiscretization" ->
> {"TensorProductGrid", "Coordinates" -> myGrid}
>
> which fails. Can you recommend a better method to solve the problem in
> 2D (and eventually in 3D) ?
>
> Kind regards,
>   Alois

Alois,

you find an example of one way to do it here

http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/Conferences/7549/

Hope this helps,
Oliver

0
Oliver
1/6/2011 7:06:54 AM
On Tue, 4 Jan 2011, Alois wrote:

> I'm trying to solve numerically a 2d/3d reaction-diffusion equation
> using NDSolve. The system can be solved for one spatial dimension (+
> time dimension), but it does not converge for two spatial dimensions
> (x,y,t). Actually, I'm trying to use polar coordinates (r, phi, t),
> because the problem has a point source.
>
> I'm using NDsolve with the following method:
> Method -> {"MethodOfLines", "SpatialDiscretization" ->
> {"TensorProductGrid", "Coordinates" -> myGrid}
>
> which fails. Can you recommend a better method to solve the problem in
> 2D (and eventually in 3D) ?
>
> Kind regards,
>   Alois

Alois,

things like

eqn = \[Rho]*cp*D[u[t, x, y], t] - \[Lambda]*
     D[u[t, x, y], x, x] + -\[Lambda]*D[u[t, x, y], y, y] ==
   f + r*u[t, x, y]*If[x == p1X, y == p1Y, 1, 0]

NDSolve[Join[{eqn},
    bc, ic], u, {t, 0, tEnd}, {x, 0, xEnd}, {y, 0, yEnd},
   Method -> {"MethodOfLines",
     "SpatialDiscretization" -> {"TensorProductGrid",
        MaxPoints -> {35, 35}, MinPoints -> {35, 35}
       }}
   ];

work in principal. Now, the exact details depend on the equation
parameters. Note that the Max and Min points need to be chosen
such that the tensor grid generates a point {p1X,p1Y}.

Hth,
Oliver

0
Oliver
1/8/2011 8:39:19 AM
Hi!

You can see my implementayion: http://sources.codenet.ru/file/4784/Brusselator.zip
The created in Borland C++ Builder, but it for grafics. Greather of the code you can easy to adapt for other compilers. Comments in russian, but code in c++.

2D/3D reaction-diffusion solver
hiya, is there anything for matlab that will solve a 2D/3D reaction- diffusion problem? I know of pdepe that does 1D, and pdetoolbox that does 2D, but otherwise, would I have to write my own code? thanks! On 2/14/2011 6:44 PM, shawn wrote: > hiya, > > is there anything for matlab that will solve a 2D/3D reaction- > diffusion problem? I know of pdepe that does 1D, and pdetoolbox that > does 2D, but otherwise, would I have to write my own code? > > thanks! I just looked at pdetool, and it does not look it can do 2D diffusion-reaction pde. What are specs of your proble...

2D/3D reaction-diffusion solver in matlab
Hiya, For my phd thesis, I wrote a custom unstructured finite element (tri / tet) 2D/3D reaction-diffusion solver in matlab. It uses an adams- bashforth / trapezoidal predictor-corrector time integrator with a customised GMRES linear solver (which itself uses matlab's '\' operator), with adaptive time-stepping based on the Gresho and Sani depiction in their CFD books. Hence, this thing handles multiple space and time scales - which I needed for the computational cell biology modeling I performed. Note, there's no Newton solver in it...yet? Anyway, I'm curio...

Numerical solution to two-dimensional reaction diffusion equation
Hi everyone, I want to numerically solve the following nonlinear two dimensional reaction-diffusion equations by discretising the spatial derivatives using finite difference so that I end up with a set of odes that can be solved using an ode solver -- method of lines. I have had a go at coding the problem in Matlab but got unrealistic/unexpected results. Can someone please have a look at my code and shed some light? I would appreciate any assistance as I am still learning my way around Matlab. Many thanks. The three equations read: du_1/dt=d^2u_1/dx^2 + d^2u_1/dy^2 + u_1u_2-u_1+u_2u_3; ...

reaction diffusion equation !
Dear sir Can NDSolve in Mathematica solves the nonlinear reaction diffusion equation in two dimensions (Tt-Uxx-Uyy=f(U) with Drichlit B.C.). I ask u kindly to send me the mathematica program solves the transient heat equation in two dimension or the heat diffusion equation if u already have it. Thanks in advance for help and cooperation regards khaled sayed Khaled Sayed Mahmoud Ibrahim Department of MathematicsFaculty of ScienceHelwan University Helwan, Cairo, EgyptTel.: (+20)18-25-35-272 Fax: (+20)-2-25588-586k_s_mahmoud@hotmail.com ...

3D diffusion equation
I need to solve diffusion problem in 3 D with an arbitrary diffusion tensor. Could someone please suggest me if there is any such programme already written or exiting in matlab? ...

Convective diffusion equation in 2D
Hello all, I'm trying to find a nice and neat way to numerically solve the convective diffusion equation da/dt = D (d^2/dx^2 + d^2/dy^2) a - v da/dx where a is the concentration of my solute, D is the diffusion constant, and v is the surrounding fluid velocity in the x direction. I thought that there was a small chance that maybe someone else here has attempted something similar. Is it even possible to solve this equation? As always, any suggestions would be much appreciated. Cheers, Dan dantimatter wrote: > Hello all, > > I'm trying to find a ni...

Convective diffusion equation in 2D
Hello all, I'm trying to find a nice and neat way to numerically solve the convective diffusion equation da/dt = D (d^2/dx^2 + d^2/dy^2) a - v da/dx where a is the concentration of my solute, D is the diffusion constant, and v is the surrounding fluid velocity in the x direction. I thought that there was a small chance that maybe someone else here has attempted something similar. Is it even possible to solve this equation? As always, any suggestions would be much appreciated. Cheers, Dan dantimatter <dantimatter@gmail.com> wrote in message <1186153073.038814.223160@d30g20...

cnvdgn just 3D->2D and not 2D->3D
Hi @ all, I=B4ve a mix of 3D and 2D files in one folder (about 4000 files). I want to batch convert all 3D files to 2D und leave the 2D files 2D. Is there a possibility to prevent that cnvdgn converts the 2D files into 3D, and just convert the 3D Files into 2D. Thanks in advance brg Andreas run the files through EDG to find out which are 3D and then move the 2D out of the folder ...

Palatino numerals in maths equations?
I'm trying to consistently use Palatino fonts in my thesis. That includes all numerals. In the main body of text, writing '2' returns a '2' in the Palatino font once complied, but in math mode the '2' is in Times Roman font I think. I've tried using the packages (stabbing in the dark basically). mathpple mathpazo palatinomath palatino palatcm with no luck. Any ideas? Thanks. Chrisr <chrisr@es.co.nz> writes: > mathpple > mathpazo > palatinomath > palatino > palatcm The correct way to use Palatino is mathpazo.sty (see FAQ, psnfss...

How to manipulate matrix dimension (2D->3D and 3D->2D)?
1. 2D -> 3D a = zeros(20,30); How to create a 1X20X30 matrix b from a? 2. 3D -> 2D b = zeros(1,20,30); How to create a 20X30 matrix a from b? Any reply will be highly appreciated, :) In article <g29s1q$a2l$1@fred.mathworks.com>, Tao <tw@ualberta.ca> wrote: >1. 2D -> 3D >a = zeros(20,30); >How to create a 1X20X30 matrix b from a? b = permute(a, [3,1,2] ); Or b = reshape(a, [1, size(a)]); >2. 3D -> 2D >b = zeros(1,20,30); >How to create a 20X30 matrix a from b? a = permute(b, [2, 3, 1]); Or a = reshape(b, size(b,2), []); Or a = squeeze(b);...

Solving a differential equation numerically in Mathematica
Hi all, Does anyone know if Mathematica can numerically solve a second order differential equation? Blake Jackson wrote: > Hi all, > > Does anyone know if Mathematica can numerically solve a second order differential equation? > Sure it can. Search the documentation for *NDSolve* [1]. For example (adapted from [2], which is a nice and short introduction to solving ODEs with Mathematica), In[1]:= sol = NDSolve[ {Derivative[2][x][t] + gamma*Derivative[1][x][t] + x[t]^3 == A*Cos[t], x[0] == 0.6, Derivative[1][x][0] == 1.25} /. {gamm...

solving nonlinear integral equations numerically with mathematica?
is it possible to solve nonlinear integral equations numerically with mathematica? i'm trying to solve the following integral equation for the function p[x]: (1 + x^2/5)^(-5) Exp[ArcTan[x]] == p[x] Integrate[p[s] Exp[.5 x s], {s, -Infinity, Infinity}] note this integral equation is nonlinear, ie. not of fredholm or volterra type, due to multiplicative p[x] in front of the integral. i've looked around the documentation for dsolve, ndsolve, ..., but i couln't find any mention of integral equations in the mathematica documentation. searching this lis...

Getting all the zeros/solutions of an equation (numeric solver)
hi everybody, I'd like to know which is best way to solve this kind of equations with HP-50G http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=%28x-senx%29^5-x^2%288192%2F0.7^8%29*%280.4706*0.015%2F%280.004^0.5%29%29^3%3D0 I've stored this equation in the HP but when I try to solve it using "solve equation" a lot of times I'm just getting the first solution, which is 0, as shown in the WolframAlpha graph. How can I be 100% sure that I'll get all the zeros when solving? Which method would you advise? Thank you!!...

Solve the Advection-Diffusion-Reaction (ADR) equation
Hi, I`m trying to solve the 1D advection-diffusion-reaction equation dc/dt+u*dc/dx=D*dc2/dx2-kC using Fortan code but I`m still facing some issues. first I solved the advection-diffusion equation without including the source term (reaction) and it works fine. but when including the source term (decay of substence with the fisr order decay -kC)I could not get a correct solution. I have read that I need to use the spliting time mthod or as called also the operator time method, but I do not know how to apply it. Could any one help to provide a simple code for solving this advection-diffusion...

Solve 1D advection-diffusion-reaction equation
Hi, I`m trying to solve the 1D advection-diffusion-reaction equation dc/dt+u*dc/dx=D*dc2/dx2-kC using Fortan code but I`m still facing some issues. first I solved the advection-diffusion equation without including the source term (reaction) and it works fine. but when including the source term (decay of substence with the fisr order decay -kC)I could not get a correct solution. I have read that I need to use the spliting time mthod or as called also the operator time method, but I do not know how to apply it. Could any one help to provide a simple code for solving this advection-diffusion...

from a 2d-figure to an interactive 3d model? is it possible with mathematica?
http://postimage.org/image/jr35rwdel/ the image above represents spacing rules for engineer stuff. if you look at it you will see the spacing can be summarized as: 1. 7 foot radius circle drawn around the center point of the rectangle. This never changes no matter what the dimensions of the rectangle. So we can ignore this. 2. On the south side of the rectangle, starting at the left and right corners, a 30 degree line is drawn (making a triangle ABC). Once the line reaches the 7 foot radius circle, it only goes 13 foot past it and then curves like a partial circle, keeping 20 fe...

Digits, VPA, N, Matlab, Mathematica
Hello, Can someone help me with an issue about digits and vpa command? The limit of digits in matlab is only 50? For example, I've done the following test: >> digits Digits = 100 >> vpa((1+sqrt(5))/2,100) ans = 1.618033988749894902525738871190696954727172851562500000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 (note the 0's) Now, using Mathematica i've able to get it: In[1]:= N[(1+Sqrt[5])/2,100] Out[1]= 1.618033988749894848204586834365638117720309179805762862135448622705260462818902449707207204189391137 Question 1) : How can I get the same answer in Matlab a...

More experimentation with single photo 2D -> 3D & other inverse problems in 1D/2D/3D DSP. YouTube demos.
This is really meant as the latest in a series I posted over irregular inte= rvals since last summer, in which I'm going to try and explain some of the = tricks used and call out some of the *real* issues that I'd like to tackle = (like reverse "signal demasking" and reverse "layering") These are the demos where some of the tricks are shown off. Bear in mind th= at everything comes from single photos -- no triangulation, no built-in 3D = models, etc. Lighting, coloring, texture, etc. are also inferred from the p= hotos, not built-in or hard-coded. [0] 2D...

[Mathematica 6] Editing 3D graphics? (Editing tool for 2D only)
I really like the 2D graphics editing tool. It allows me to add annotation to plots when it is too hard to code these directly. I had a need now to the same but on a 3D plot. It seems the tool only works on 2D (it says on it 2D :) So, I was wondering if one know of a way to edit (add annotation) to a 3D plot? If not, I hope WRI would add such a support in 6.1 thanks, Nasser Nasser Abbasi wrote: > I really like the 2D graphics editing tool. It allows me to add annotation > to plots when it is too hard to code these directly. > > I had a need now to the...

Mathematica hangs when solving sys. of equations w/ certain parameters
I am trying to find local maxima of an objective function by solving the FOCs of a function of 4 control variables (pL,pH,phiL,phiH) and 3 parameters (c, pDBS,phiDBS). The objective function is f[pL_,phiL_,pH_,phiH_,pDBS_,phiDBS_,c_] = \ (pL-0.5c*phiL^2)*((pH-pL)/(phiH-phiL) - pL/phiL) + \ (pH-0.5c*phiH^2)*((pDBS-pH)/(phiDBS-phiH) - (pH-pL)/(phiH-phiL)) I find the FOCs by differentiating with respect to each of the 4 control variables, and then I solve the system using Solve[] (see details below) For certain values of the parameters (c, pDBS, phiDBS), the Solve[] routine works f...

Re: from a 2d-figure to an interactive 3d model? is it possible with mathematica? #4
Start simple and add one thing at a time evaluating the results at each step. Refer to the online documentation often until you are much more experienced--I still use the documentation often. Bob Hanlon On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 6:50 AM, luke wallace <lukewallace1990@gmail.com> wrote: > Holy cow. I can't believe that is even possible from just typing code. > It looks like an alien language to me how can I ever hope to know what > I'm doing and write that stuff myself? Are you using some kind of > graphical interface to arrive at that code or something, o...

No more memory available... when using ExplicitEuler method for Diffusion equations in Mathematica NDSolve
Hi, This is my first message to the math group, and I am really new to Mathematica as well. I would really appreciate if someone could help me with this, as I did not find much help in the documentation or the forum regarding my problem. Here are the details: I have these three diffusion equations that I need to solve using the NDSolve function. solution = {r, a, s} /. First[NDSolve[{D[r[x,t], t] == -r[x,t] + �[(s[x,t] - a[x,t] + g[x,t] - Subscript[c, r])/Subscript[b, r]], Subscript[�,a]*D[a[x,t],t] == D[a[x,t], x, x] - a[x,t] + �*�[(s[x, t] - a[x, t] + g[x,t] - Subscrip...

Re: from a 2d-figure to an interactive 3d model? is it possible with mathematica? #2
Use Manipulate. Here is a partial example : Manipulate[ Module[ {tan, ll, lr, ur, r, pt, t}, tan = Tan[30 Degree]; ll = {-w/2, -d/2}; lr = {w/2, -d/2}; ur = {w/2, d/2}; r = Sqrt[(20 + d/2)^2 + (w/2)^2]; pt = {x, y} /. FindRoot[ {tan == (x - w/2)/(y - d/2), x^2 + y^2 == r^2}, {x, 12}, {y, 20}]; t = ArcTan @@ Reverse[pt]; Graphics[ {Thin, Circle[{0, 0}, 7], Line[{{-7, -4}, {-7, 4}}], Circle[{0, 0}, r, -90 Degree + {-t, t}], {AbsoluteDashing[{6, 6, 72, 6}], Line[{{0, 9}, {0, -22 - d/2}}]}, {White, EdgeForm[Thick], Re...

Matlab program of gaussian beam (2D or 3D) using helmholtz equation
i want to write Matlab program of gaussian beam (2D or 3D) using helmholtz equation.... if anyone could give the full program, that will help me to do my project work...... thank you :) "Debashis Roy" <deba4u@ymail.com> wrote in message <lhv04i$6sf$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>... > i want to write Matlab program of gaussian beam (2D or 3D) using helmholtz equation.... if anyone could give the full program, that will help me to do my project work...... > > thank you :) If anyone could give the full program, they WILL do your project work, not just h...

Web resources about - Numerical Solver for 2D/3D (Reaction-)Diffusion equation - comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica

Numerical - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Equilibrium - Can You Strike A Numerical Balance? on the App Store on iTunes
Get Equilibrium - Can You Strike A Numerical Balance? on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Numerical Simulation of Nix's Rotation - YouTube
This is a numerical simulation of the orientation of Nix as seen from the center of the Pluto system. It has been sped up so that one orbit of ...

Gillian Heinrich’s has numerical advantage at Sunday’s Gold Coast races
THERE will be a Chris Waller-like feel at the Gold Coast races on Sunday when local trainer Gillian Heinrich saddles up four of the 10 runners ...

Today’s Best Apps: Numerical, The Tonight Show, Digestable And R-TYPE II
... simply tap an item for more information, such as manufacturing process and any common side effects, typically stated in layman’s terms. Numerical: ...

Numerical: Calculator Without Equal
Holen Sie sich „Numerical: Calculator Without Equal“ im App Store. Sehen Sie sich Screenshots, Bewertungen und Kundenrezensionen dazu an.

Download this app right now: Numerical for iPhone and iPad is now free
... deals on well-designed apps, however, we'll also bring them to your attention individually — and such is the case with Andrew J Clark's " Numerical ...

FOMC Minutes: "Most participants agreed numerical thresholds could be useful"
... response to incoming data on the economy . Many participants thought that more-effective forward guidance could be provided by specifying numerical ...

Quentin Tarantino's Next Western Reportedly Has A Numerical Title
Quentin Tarantino is a filmmaker who is known for making particular kinds of films, with adrenaline and testosterone always on full display, ...

Divided Fed considers numerical triggers for rates policy
AFP Divided Fed considers numerical triggers for rates policy CNBC.com WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The US Federal Reserve may adopt numerical thresholds ...