parametric and analytical geometry

hi all,

i am an architect and a newbie too mathematica. i wish to build a program
related to parametric  geometrical design (2 dimensional floor plans) and
parametric geometrical optimization.

a few questions pops up and will just write them randomly as i think of
one.
1. is there a way to draw vectors in mathematica the way we draw in
autocad--meaning by more intuitive freehand mouse and visually drawing it
instead of inputting formulas and nos. and rules? say, i want a quick
drawing of a house, it's more intuitive to draw vector lines using mouse.

2. how do i export vector drawings into mathematica from Autocad( dwg or
dxf) ?

3. how do i measure areas and lengths of segments or radius of curves of
the elements of the imported vector drawings?

4. If i don't import the file/drawing,  can mathematica "read" Autocad
drawings?

5. as mentioned,  I'm a newbie to mathematica and thought i should embark
on this project by improving my proficiency in analytical geometry first as
a starting point.

I wish to use mathematica to learn and self-study about analytical
geometry, is this possible and if so,  can mathematica "Teach" me?

any other suggestions as on how best to approach my 'project goals' are
welcome and thanks in advance for your assistance!

Jim

0
Jim

Exploring Analytic Geometry with Mathematica
For anyone interested in using Mathematica for 2D analytic geometry, a full textbook entitled "Exploring Analytic Geometry with Mathematica" (865 pages) is available as a free PDF file download from http://www.descarta2d.com. ...

Descarta2D (Exploring Analytic Geometry with Mathematica), Version 7
The Mathematica add-on package, Descarta2D, has been certified to be compatible with Mathematica Version 7 (previously certified for Versions 3-6). The entire textbook "Exploring Analytic Geometry with Mathematica" (including the user manual for Descarta2D) is available for free viewing and download at www.Descarta2D.com (both PDF and on- line versions, 865 pages, ~3Mb, are available). The corresponding Descarta2D Mathematica notebooks are available for purchase at the same web site (the notebooks are not required to read/ study the textbook, but they are needed to re-run t...

math =!= mathematica
Does somebody know why I get different behaviour for the following commands in a commandline session of mathematica 7 or inside a notebook? It also seems to be different in different Mathematica versions for the notebook format. See http://www.risc.jku.at/people/hemmecke/mathematica/ for the notebook files for Mathematica 5.2, 6.0, 7.0. Can someone explain the General::dupsym: The symbol Array with context A` already exists. message? Why does that message appear at all? If A`Array exists, then Mathematica should just use it, shouldn't it? According to http://reference.wol...

Math.random() and Math.round(Math.random()) and Math.floor(Math.random()*2)
Assuming one needs to have a function returning false or true on each call in pseudo-random order.and using JavaScript native Math.random() method as the basis of the pseudo-randomness. Say the variants of such function are: getAnswer1() { var n = Math.round(Math.random()); return n ? true : false; } getAnswer2() { var n = Math.floor(Math.random()*2); return (n==2) ? true : false; } Leaving obvious practical testing by platforms aside: Is there are theoretical considerations that pseudo-randomness (predictability) of either of above will be better or worse than the o...

Re: math =!= mathematica
On 3/23/10 at 4:23 AM, hemmecke@gmail.com (hemmecke) wrote: >Does somebody know why I get different behaviour for the following >General::dupsym: The symbol Array with context A` already exists. >message? Why does that message appear at all? If A`Array exists, >then Mathematica should just use it, shouldn't it? >According to >http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/tutorial/Contexts.html we >have: >`name a symbol in the current context >So why is Mathematica complaining? The message is not telling you the symbol exists in the current cont...

Learning maths with mathematica
Hi, I am going to fulfil a lifelong dream and will embark on a long distance physics university course in autumn after spending most of my working life as a professional musician in the abstract world of music. For this endeavour I have to brush up and recover my long lost maths basics. After discovering and trying out Mathematica I have purchased the home version of this amazing program which, after spending some time with it, I consider to be the swiss knife of everything. I would like to ask for recommendations about what would be the best way to use the program...

Mathematica at Math Camp
I taught a group of 32 smart high school kids some Mathematica this week, at the Vermont Governor's Institute in Mathematical Sciences, aka Math Camp. This is my second year doing it, and it's a ton of fun. I had the kids an hour a day in one of our computer equipped classrooms, and this year we added some additional optional computer time in the late afternoons so they could come back and continue working / playing around. (Last year some of them wanted more time, but there was no time in the schedule when they could come back.) You might enjoy looking at graphs and a...

PDETool Parametrized Geometry
Hi, I'm working on a PDE model for evaluating the pressure inside a elastomeric seismic isolator device. I am using Matlab's PDE Toolbox and I am not using the GUI (hand code only). I want to create a geometry file (see help pdegeom) that can be parametrized, so that it is easy to change the isolator geometry (changing domain size, shape, etc). I currently have a working function but it uses global variables to exchange parameters but I dont like using global variables so I'm looking for an alternative. �Any idea anybody? Maybe there is another mesh triangulation function out there...

math typesetting, Mathematica, MathML
wrote a blog about linear algebra, math typesetting, and Mathematica export, that might be of interest to lispers. http://xahlee.blogspot.com/2010/11/linear-algebar-math-typesetting-and.html ------------------------- Here's a linear algebra notes i wrote in 1998, using Mathematica version 3, with much math typesetting. linearAlgebraNotes.nb =E3=80=94 http://xahlee.org/cmaci/notation/linearAlgebraNotes.nb =E3=80=95 .. Mathematica 7 convert it to pdf very well. See: linearAlgebraNotes.pdf =E3=80=94 http://xahlee.org/cmaci/notation/linearAlgebraNotes.pdf =E3=80=95 .. Surpris...

Geometry Math Fonts Symbols??
I have been attempting to locate myth symbols in font format for the pc so I may type up math documentation in word. Symbols that are needed are primarily geometric. MathType has the parrellel symobl but not the others listed. Exmples: FOR ALL or FOR EVERY symbol SUCH THAT symbol PARRELLEL symobl PERPINDICULAR symbol THERE EXISTS symbol If you know of such a font set and where I can find it I would really appreciate it. Here's a list I put together some time ago for another ... similar ... request. = = = = = Math? Have you checked the AMS (American Mathematical Soci...

Re: Learning maths with mathematica
Berthold, I would suggest spending an hour per day following threads that seem interesting to you on this MathGroup's postings. Each example of problem or issue related to the use of Mathematica will expose you to practical solutions and very often deep insight that is hard to replicate with books or documentation read in isolation. Yours truly ... Syd Geraghty Syd Geraghty B.Sc., M.Sc. sydgeraghty@me.com San Jose, CA (408) 532 6852 Mathematica 8.0 for Mac OS X x86 (64-bit) (November 6, 2010) Licenses: L2983-5890, L3028-2592 MacOS X V 10.6.5 Snow Leopard MacBook Pro ...

What are files Z80.SYS, Z80CCP.SYS and PRMTVPVT.SYS for?
Had a good Christmas this weekend? I came across diskettes with "Mailmerge 3.0 and Calcstar version 1.45 for CP/M 8080", that seem to be for a Dec Rainbow machine. Besides a Mailmerge overlay and the Calcstar files, some CP/M and some CP/M-86 files, there are three files on the diskettes that I never have heard of before: Z80.SYS, Z80CCP.SYS and PRMTVPVT.SYS. There are no ASCII texts in PRMTVPVT.SYS. The only ASCII text in Z80.SYS (at the end of the file) is "EI SPHLDI XCHGPCHLXTHLRET HLT CMC STC CMA DAA RAR RAL RRC RLC NOP CPI ORI XRI ANI SBI IN SUI OUT ACI ADI CALLJMP LDA...

Proposed module: Math::Geometry::Multidimensional
a bunch of functions, not unlike those in Math::Geometry, but can be in as many dimensions as you like. Distance to a line in n-dimensions: sub distanceFromLine { my ($P, $M, $C) = @_; # point, gradients, intersects (symmetric) my $n = @$P; my $t = 0; my $d = 0; foreach my $i(0..$n-1){ my ($p,$m,$c) = map {$_->[$i]} ($P,$M,$C); $t += $m * ($p + $c); $d += $m**2; } $t /= $d; my $sos = 0; my $Q = []; # orthogonal point on line foreach my $i(0..$n-1){ my ($p,$m,$c) = map {$_->[$i]} ($P,$M,$C); my $q += $m * $t -$c; push @$Q, $q; $sos += ($...

An analytical solution to an integral not currently in Mathematica?
Question: Integral dx of 1/sqrt(Log[x] + a*x + b) (sorry if my notation is off; I just used the online integrator and don't have Mathematica proper, http://integrals.wolfram.com/index.jsp?expr=1%2Fsqrt%28Log%5Bx%5D+%2B+a*x+%2B+b%29) (the online integrator returned this as of the time of writing this (2013-07-13): "Mathematica could not find a formula for your integral. Most likely this means that no formula exists." ) Another system's unconfirmed answer (in that notation; sorry) (version 5.27.0): -sqrt(%pi)*%i*%e^(-a*x-b)*erf(%i*sqrt(log(x)+a*x+b)) Strangely, the ot...

Web resources about - parametric and analytical geometry - comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica

Parametric equation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In mathematics , parametric equation is a method of defining a relation using parameters . A simple kinematic example uses a time parameter to ...

MusicPlayer ColatPlayer - EQ (Parametric Equalizer) / Concert Effect (DSP/Reverb) on the App Store
Read reviews, compare customer ratings, see screenshots, and learn more about MusicPlayer ColatPlayer - EQ (Parametric Equalizer) / Concert Effect ...

Parametric

Parametric Drops 19% on Lower FYQ2 View; JP Morgan Cuts to Hold
Shares of manufacturing software maker Parametric Technology ( PMTC ) are down $5.16, or almost 19%, at $22.04, after the company this morning ...

Parametric Technology's software lets engineers visualize the challenge - The Boston Globe
NEEDHAM Outside the campus-like headquarters of Parametric Technology Corp. on a late summer afternoon, employees crowd around a pair of Callaway ...

In the Details: Parametric Pendants That Hit the Sweet Spot Between Handcraft and the Machine Made
... we're getting design education-y here on Core77, so it seemed appropriate to highlight a student project for this week's column. Parametric ...

Turtle Beach acquires Parametric Sound Corporation
Turtle Beach, makers of fine gaming headsets, has just announced plans to acquire Parametric Sound Corporation in a reverse merger. The transaction ...

To Enrich Its Brand, Boston Consulting Group Embraces Parametric Art
Using an algorithm, the prestigious management firm shows that even wonky text can be turned into something beautiful—and useful. When Massimo ...

Parametric, Qlik Slide As Jefferies Cuts Ratings
Shares of both Parametric Technology and Qlik Technologies are trading lower Monday morning after Jefferies reduced ratings on the two software ...

Patent US6275821 - Method and system for executing a guided parametric search - Google Patents
... for further selection and searching. The feature screen and search process, therefore, presents the user with a guided nonhierarchical parametric ...