Re: Chained-functional notation examples? #2

A query such as this might do what you have in mind. Here
directoryname should be changed to whatever directory you
want searched.

Select[FileNames[("*uid*" | "*UID*"), directoryname, Infinity],
     ((StringMatchQ[DirectoryName[#] , "*egal*"] && Today <
DayPlus[FileDate[#], 3]) &]

Also there is a case sensitive switch if you want to allow strings with
e.g. "uID". If you want to allow that uid only in the name and not full
string

Daniel Lichtblau
Wolfram Research

-------------------

On Tue, 06 May 2014 06:26:46 +0000, Unknown wrote:

 > I came to 'Mathematica' via Xahlee's criticism of the ad-hoc nature of
 > unix-piping [functional notation].  He claims [& I believe him] that
 > Mathematica has a better, more consistent notation.  But the facility of
 > PRE, IN & POST-fix alternatives, seems bad.  You want ONE way of
 > acieving the goal. More rules just increases mental load.
 >
 > A major benefit of functional [unix-piping] programming style, is that
 > you don't need to remember the-full-journey: you just need to remember
 > the previous stage's output. Nor do you need to remember several names:
 > the previous output is just "it".  A superficial read through a recent
 > article[s] here, about <collecting data from several servers, and
 > agregating it, and sending the result to a master> seemed very
 > interesting, and matches my ideas of using functional programming.  But
 > I can't afford to invest in ANOTHER notation/syntax, without good
 > prospect of productivety increase.
 >
 > Just as a test, how would Mathematica handle the following [or part of]
 > little task:
 >
 > search all files in Dir=tree D |
 >  which are less than N days-old |
 >  and which contain string S1 |
 >  and which contain string S2 .
 >
 > Actually, this seems not a good example, since it's biased towards the
 > *nix file system's format/syntax.
 >
 > Try:
 > Search in table of ListOfOpenFiles for lineS with path-P [field] |
 >  which have same tty-field as line with path-P2 & program-M [field]
 >
 > This sounds like a data-base problem?
 >
 > Or is there a nice list of 'such' Mathematica examples?
 >
 >  Thanks,
 >
 > == John Grant.

Here's a related real-live problem:
  list all files in Dir-tree:D |
  which are less-than daysOld:N |
  and contain "egal" in the FullPathName |
   and contain String:"uid" OR "UID"

0
Daniel

Re: Chained-functional notation examples?
On 5/6/14 at 2:26 AM, dog@gmail.com (Unknown) wrote: >I came to 'Mathematica' via Xahlee's criticism of the ad-hoc nature >of unix-piping [functional notation]. He claims [& I believe him] >that Mathematica has a better, more consistent notation. But the >facility of PRE, IN & POST-fix alternatives, seems bad. You want >ONE way of acieving the goal. More rules just increases mental load. If you are looking for a system with one way to achieve a given goal, Mathematica isn't it. There are multiple ways of achieving a result without using dif...

Re: Chained-functional notation examples? #4
A query such as this might do what you have in mind. Here directoryname should be changed to whatever directory you want searched. Select[FileNames[("*uid*" | "*UID*"), directoryname, Infinity], ((StringMatchQ[DirectoryName[#] , "*egal*"] && Today < DayPlus[FileDate[#], 3]) &] Also there is a case sensitive switch if you want to allow strings with e.g. "uID". If you want to allow that uid only in the name and not full string Daniel Lichtblau Wolfram Research ------------------- On Tue, 06 May 2014 06:26:46 +0...

Re: Chained-functional notation examples? #5
On 5/7/14 at 2:44 AM, dog@gmail.com (Unknown) wrote: >Here's a related real-live problem: >list all files in Dir-tree:D | which are less-than daysOld:N | and >contain "egal" in the FullPathName | and contain String:"uid" OR >"UID" It is not entirely clear what it is you are trying to do. There are a couple of ways to obtain a list of files in a given directory. First, if the directory is the current working directory, then FileName[] will return a list of every thing at the top level of the directory. But in this case, only the...

Re: Chained-functional notation examples? #3
A query such as this might do what you have in mind. Here directoryname should be changed to whatever directory you want searched. Select[FileNames[("*uid*" | "*UID*"), directoryname, Infinity], ((StringMatchQ[DirectoryName[#] , "*egal*"] && Today < DayPlus[FileDate[#], 3]) &] Also there is a case sensitive switch if you want to allow strings with e.g. "uID". If you want to allow that uid only in the name and not full string Daniel Lichtblau Wolfram Research ------------------- On Tue, 06 May 2014 06:26:46 +0...

Re: Re: Output display of exponential function in Mathematica #2
You have to use the correct Mathematica syntax. E and Log instead of e and LN. You don't even have to use Simplif in this case. Log[1/E^2] -2 David Park djmp@earthlink.net http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/ From: New Guy [mailto:NewGuy@yahoo.com] On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 08:24:53 +0000 (UTC), Bob Hanlon <hanlonr@cox.net> wrote: >The output that you want is "unstable", i.e., Mathematica automatically >converts it. > Thanks. I have another question if you don't mind. I'm trying to just check and see if I got a whole bunch of even-nu...

RE: Re: Readability confuses mathematica?
Hi David, >I would like to put some comments in here concerning the Notation package. I >think the package tackles a very useful and a very complicated problem. I >doubt if there are many people who could carry out what you have done. Thanks. >Still I find severe problems with the package. It is difficult to put my >finger accurately on them but I will make an attempt. I have, on a number of >occasions, spent many hours and even days trying to use the package and have >always given up in frustration. Perhaps my intellectual capability just >isn't ...

Re: Fyi, Listing of Mathematica 7 functions (1869 functions) #2
ref (me) > > I did use SyntaxInformation[], which I did not know about, and it is much > simpler. Except I am finding that SyntaxInformation[] only works on functions in System context. So I can't find it to determine which is a function and which is not for functions in other packages (i.e. outside the kernel). So I have to resort to the old method for determining which Symbol is a function or not for those. Compare the result for something not in the kernel with something outside: Needs["Combinatorica`"] SyntaxInformation[AddEdge] {} Synt...

Chained-functional notation examples?
I came to 'Mathematica' via Xahlee's criticism of the ad-hoc nature of unix-piping [functional notation]. He claims [& I believe him] that Mathematica has a better, more consistent notation. But the facility of PRE, IN & POST-fix alternatives, seems bad. You want ONE way of acieving the goal. More rules just increases mental load. A major benefit of functional [unix-piping] programming style, is that you don't need to remember the-full-journey: you just need to remember the previous stage's output. Nor do you need to remember several names: the previous outp...

Re: Mathematica Plot Functions #2
Thank you for your replies, I wanted to plot 2x. And it now works. I don't know how to thank you guys. You are great! ...

Re: Mathematica Collect function #2
expr1 = -(P10 P20 P30)/Sqrt[2] + (i P10 P20 P30)/Sqrt[2] - i P11 P20 P30 + i P10 P21 P30 + (P11 P21 P30)/Sqrt[2] - (i P11 P21 P30)/Sqrt[2] - P10 P20 P31 - (P11 P20 P31)/Sqrt[2] - (i P11 P20 P31)/Sqrt[2] + (P10 P21 P31)/Sqrt[2] + (i P10 P21 P31)/Sqrt[2] + P11 P21 P31; expr2 = ((1 + Sqrt[2]) i - 1)/4* (P10 - P11) - (1 + Sqrt[2] + i)/4* (P20 - P21) + (1 - Sqrt[2] + i)/4* (P10 - P11)*(P30 - P31) + (1 + (Sqrt[2] - 1) i)/4* (P20 - P21)*(P30 - P31); To get the form of expr2 from expr1 expr22 = Simplify[expr1, { ...

Re: Re: Re: Mathematica language issues #2
So far I could resist the temptation to participate in this discussion. However, in his mail Maxim Rytin presents some examples of which he thinks the result is unpredictable. Maybe there is some interest in how I predict the results of simple commands in which Unevaluated occurs. Of course these examples are of no practical interest. Unevaluated is meant to pass unevaluated arguments to a function body and as such it works perfectly. No one in practice is interested in (1+1)*Unevaluated[2+2]. The basic principle has been clearly explained by Andrzej Kozlowsky. Suppose we have a ...

Re: New to Mathematica- How to write functions???????? #2
On 7/23/05 at 5:32 AM, dave@Remove_Thisdbailey.co.uk (David Bailey) wrote: >Someonekicked ha scritto: >>new to mathematica, looked at the help, but did not get the help >>i needed.. >>I want to write a function that does multiple calculations in its >>body, then it returns a value. I am talking about functions >>similar to functions that you can declare in C++. can anyone give >>me an example? >>in C++, a function would be like, (note int means integer) >>int zzz(int s, int y) { >>int Q; Q = s*y; return Q; >>...

Re: Types in Mathematica, a practical example #2
Hi Kristen, Comments are interlaced in the text below, > -----Original Message----- > From: Kristen W Carlson [mailto:carlsonkw@gmail.com] > Subject: Re: EUREKA Re: Types in Mathematica, a > practical example > > Ingolf, > > I am happy for your Archimedean insight and admire how you > have delved into this area and found a solution, and come out > the other side appreciating Mathematica all the more. > > So don't feel insulted at this question, and it's my > ignorance of either your task or the style in other languages ...

Re: Re: EUREKA Re: Types in Mathematica, a practical example
Hi David, Comments are interlaced in the text below, > -----Original Message----- > From: David Bailey [mailto:dave@Remove_Thisdbailey.co.uk] > Subject: Re: EUREKA Re: Types in Mathematica, a > practical example > > Hello, > > If you want to compute with undefined array elements, why not > use subscript elements such as Subscript[a,1,2]. Hmmm, maybe... Let's see ax := {{Subscript[ax, 1, 1], Subscript[ax, 1, 2]}, {Subscript[ax, 2, 1], Subscript[ax, 2, 2]}} is not a good idea, since evaluation of ax gives an infinite loop. (There are o...

Web resources about - Re: Chained-functional notation examples? #2 - comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica