Re: Output display of exponential function in Mathematica #3

On 12/4/05 at 5:57 AM, NewGuy@yahoo.com (New Guy) wrote:

>On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 11:05:41 +0000 (UTC), Jean-Marc Gulliet
><jeanmarc.gulliet@gmail.com> wrote:

>>Now, the base of the natural logarithm is written E (capital e).

>Beg to differ here.  The BasicInput.nb palette uses the small 'e'
>that is kind of double-struck.

The BasicInput palette displays the constants Pi and E in TraditionalForm. If you type

E//TraditionalForm

into an empty cell, the corresponding output cell will be the same character you get after clicking the entry button on the BasicInput pallete. The point is, to enter the constant E from the keyboard, you enter it as a capital E.

readnewsciv (914)

Re: Re: Output display of exponential function in Mathematica #3
To get the 'double struck small e' type esc e e esc, or click it off the palette. In any case, it is not the Latin small case e. David Park djmp@earthlink.net http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/ From: New Guy [mailto:NewGuy@yahoo.com] On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 11:05:41 +0000 (UTC), Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet@gmail.com> wrote: >Now, the base of the natural logarithm is written E (capital e). Beg to differ here. The BasicInput.nb palette uses the small 'e' that is kind of double-struck. Bookreader ...

Re: Re: Output display of exponential function in Mathematica
Log[1/E^.5] -0.5 Log[1/E^-.5] � .5 True Refine[1/E^x, 0<x<1] E^-x Or if you need to, Refine[Log[1/E^x], 0<x<1] -x Kris -------------- Original message -------------- > On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 08:24:53 +0000 (UTC), Bob Hanlon > wrote: > > >The output that you want is "unstable", i.e., Mathematica automatically > >converts it. > > > > Thanks. > > I have another question if you don't mind. > > I'm trying to just check and see if I got a whole bunch of > even-numbered study exercises r...

Re: Re: Output display of exponential function in Mathematica #2
You have to use the correct Mathematica syntax. E and Log instead of e and LN. You don't even have to use Simplif in this case. Log[1/E^2] -2 David Park djmp@earthlink.net http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/ From: New Guy [mailto:NewGuy@yahoo.com] On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 08:24:53 +0000 (UTC), Bob Hanlon <hanlonr@cox.net> wrote: >The output that you want is "unstable", i.e., Mathematica automatically >converts it. > Thanks. I have another question if you don't mind. I'm trying to just check and see if I got a whole bunch of even-nu...

Re: Output display of exponential function in Mathematica
On 11/30/05 at 10:08 PM, NewGuy@yahoo.com (New Guy) wrote: >I'm trying to just check and see if I got a whole bunch of >even-numbered study exercises right on exponents and natural logs. >The answers to the odds are in the book. >As an example, LN(1/e^2) equals what? >My answer is -1/2. I assume by LN you mean the natural logarithm and by e you mean the number 2.718... If so, the natural logarithm is written as Log in Mathematica and 2.718... is written as E, not e Assuming this is what you meant you should expect Mathematica to return -2 not -1/2. And that ...

Re: Output display of exponential function in Mathematica
The output that you want is "unstable", i.e., Mathematica automatically converts it. 25*5^h 5^(h + 2) You will have to force the form sr=n_Integer^(m_Integer+x_):>HoldForm[Evaluate[n^m]]*n^x; 5^(2+h)/.sr 5^h*HoldForm[25] ReleaseHold[%] 5^(h + 2) expr=5^(7x/2)-5^(x^2); Sqrt[5^x]*Simplify[expr/Sqrt[5^x], Element[x, Reals]] Sqrt[5^x]*(-5^(x^2 - x/2) + 125^x) Bob Hanlon > > From: Bookreader <Bookreader127@yahoo.com> > Date: 2005/11/26 Sat AM 02:47:04 EST > Subject: Output display of exponential function in Mathemat...

?E E is the exponential constant e (base of natural logarithms), with numerical value approximately equal to 2.71828. ?Log Log[z] gives the natural logarithm of z (logarithm to base e). Log[b, z] gives the logarithm to base b. Log[1/E^2] -2 E^-2 1/E^2 E^(-1/2) 1/Sqrt[E] Bob Hanlon > > From: New Guy <NewGuy@yahoo.com> > Date: 2005/11/30 Wed PM 10:08:53 EST > Subject: Re: Output display of exponential function in Mathematica > > On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 08:24:53 +0000 (UTC), Bob Hanlon <hanlonr@cox.net> > wrote: > ...

Output display of exponential function in Mathematica
How can I get Mathematica to display 25(5^h) when I input 5^(2+h)? Also, is there a way to solve this question? I've read the help. I'm studying for my final and am trying to find the answer to an even-numbered question from my text. Factor 5^(7x/2) - 5^(x^2), with sqrt(5^x) being one of the factors. The answer I get is sqrt(5^x) times( (5^7)-1). Thanks for showing me how to do these. Bookreader schrieb: > How can I get Mathematica to display 25(5^h) when I input 5^(2+h)? This is not easy, because Mathematica simplifies the input 25*5^h automagically to 5^(2+...

Re: Fyi, Listing of Mathematica 7 functions (1869 functions) #3
Ok, Final tally is completed. I get 2559 functions in Mathematica 7 (Kernel and AddOns) 1920 functions in the kernel, and the rest in the AddOns packages. A table showing each context and which functions in it is now on my page below http://12000.org/my_notes/compare_mathematica/index.htm in the version 7.0 row, look for the column before last. Determining which are the functions in the packages was bit more tricky since the InformationSytanx[] can't be used there. So had to do it the old way, i.e. get the usage information for each symbol and parse it out lookin...

Re: Mathematica Collect function #3
> Many thanks to all who have responded to my question. > The question I posted was actually a smaller section of what I had > originally planned on asking. I was hoping to use what I had learnt > from your answers and apply it to a larger problem but I haven't had > much success. > > What I want is to go from expression1: > -((P10 P20 P30)/Sqrt[2]) + (i P10 P20 P30)/Sqrt[2] - i P11 P20 P30 + > i P10 P21 P30 + (P11 P21 P30)/Sqrt[2] - (i P11 P21 P30)/Sqrt[2] - > P10 P20 P31 - (P11 P20 P31)/Sqrt[2] - (i P11 P20 P31)/Sqrt[2] + ( > P10 P21 P31)/Sqr...

Re: Mathematica 7 much slower than Mathematica 6 on Limit #3
Sir, thanks for the tip; wasn't aware of NLimit. It speeds things up. My original goal was to get this limit to d -> Infinity but 1000 was about as high as I could go. Now I got it up to 10^6 in steps and the result doesn't appear to be converging at all. At 10^7 I get errors. I had to use the Scale->1000 option to get above d-> 1000. Perhaps my NLimit attempt is futile; thanks for your help. Rob On Dec 27, 1:03 pm, "w...@wavebounce.com" <w...@wavebounce.com> wrote: > Sir, thanks for the tip; wasn't aware of NLimit. > > It speeds things u...

Re: Re: Mathematica Programmer vs. Programming in Mathematica
> -----Original Message----- > From: Steven T. Hatton [mailto:hattons@globalsymmetry.com] > Sent: 15 December 2005 10:30 > Subject: Re: Mathematica Programmer vs. Programming > in Mathematica > ....... > > I wonder what value there woudl be in trying to explain what makes > > Mathematica "functions" different from functions in > languages such as > > C in a book addressed to readers most of whom have no > knowledge of C > > and are not particualry interested in getting it? > > I suspect you will not find very many people who have never > programmed in Java, C#, or C++ and are likely to use > Mathematica extensively. I'm not really saying the > introduction should use these languages extensively as a > means of contrast. I'm saying that Mathematica should be > introduced very differently from the way these general > purpose languages are introduced. Hang on for a minute - our entire corridor is full of scientists who use Mathematica every day. And only a couple have used even C. Most scientists have grown up with Fortran, right? (at least judging from the way they use Mathematica! ;) So your statement that most Mathematica people start from Java or C is incorrect. > "Everything is an expression" should be explained in terms of > recursive data structures, which they are. Obviously, such a > presentation should i...

RE: Re: Re: Suggestion: Visualization of complex functions with Mathematica
I'd like to add the ComplexAnalysis package at my web site below: This package contains complex analysis routines and complex graphics routines. There are routines that convert the regular 2D Graphics into equivalent complex forms. For example ComplexLine[{z1,z2,z3...}] takes complex numbers for the point coordinates. There are routines for producing one or two panel plots or animations of complex functions. Each panel may be one of the following plot types. 1) Cartesian/PolarSurface - Plots the surface s[f[z]] where f is a complex function and s is a real function. 2) Cartesian...

Re: How to convert the expression 3*x to a function in Mathematica?
> In doing a program in Mathematica that receives an > expression called f and converts it to a function. > However the command Function[x,f] doesn't work, what > do I do? > In[1]:= f = 3 x; In[2]:= g = Function[x, f // Evaluate] Out[2]= Function[x, 3 x] ...

Re: Evaluation of boolean functions in Mathematica 8 #3
Thank you Bob for the excellent suggestions. I've never used Grid before, so I got side-tracked on learning about this function. I know there are many variations one can do along this theme. So, here's a variation that incorporated some of your ideas. I added a column that attempts to find a simpler version if it finds one. What is considered simpler is of course subjective, so this is only an attempt. :>) // ===== Main Function ===== TruthTable[equ_,steps_List:{}]:=Module[{v,data,min,hdg}, v = BooleanVariables[equ]; AppendTo[v,{steps,equ}]; (* If shorter versi...

Re: Re: Infrequent Mathematica User #3
On 2/4/04, Andrzej Kozlowski wrote: >Actually one can use Paul's argument to prove >the following stronger statement: > >Sum[(Subscript[x,i]/(1 + Sum[Subscript[x,j]^2, {j, i}]))^2, {i, n}] < 1 > >for every positive integer n. > >It is easy to see that this implies the >inequality in the original problem (use >Schwarz's inequality). MathWorld only gives the integral form at http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SchwarzsInequality.html The required form of the inequality is at http://mathworld.wolfram.com/CauchysInequality.html ...

Re: Mathematica to open an Excel spreadsheet and inject output into designated cells #3
You need to treat Excel as a database not an entire file that needs to be consumed. First have an ODBC or any other kind of (JDBC) Database connector Driver for Excel available on your system. Second Use Mathematica's SQL features http://www.connectionstrings.com/excel Look around for proper connection string, also be concerned with permissions issue on your system. Use the distinct SQL statements special to Excel. Use [SheetNames] and R[1]C[1] for ranges. Use SQL SELECT for retrieval Use SQL Insert for insertion/update. Focus on the data not the charts as if your...

Re: Mathematica- Use a previous equation into the function Function
On 8/1/10 at 4:58 AM, camille.segarra@gmail.com (Camille) wrote: >I am fairly new to mathematica. I am stuck with a problem I cannot >solve. I would like to call a previous equation into the function >Function. If a type directly the expression or copy paste it, it >works. However, when I call the expression by its name it does not. >Here is the code for a more precise explanation: > >In: ll Out: d + a x + h x^2 + b y + e x y + c z + j z^2 >In: Function[##, a x + b y + c z + d + e x y + h x^2 + j z^2] & @@ >{Listp} Out: Function[{a, b, c, d, e, h, ...

RE: Re: scaled complementary error function in Mathematica?
It would seem that by the time Exp[x^2]*Erfc[x] runs into exponent trouble, that the approximation 1/(x Sqrt[Pi]) would be sufficiently accurate for most numeric calculations. Thus, you might form a function like scaledErfc[ x_ ] := If[ x < 25000, Exp[x^2]*Erfc[x] , 1/(x Sqrt[Pi]) ] -----Original Message----- From: Peter Pein [mailto:petsie@dordos.net] Subject: Re: scaled complementary error function in Mathematica? Tanim Islam schrieb: > Hi: > > I was wondering if anyone had a package or notebook file that computes > the scaled complementary error functi...

Re: Re: Mathematica bug in handling trigonometric functions? (and more)
On Tue, 5 Apr 2005, dh wrote: > Hi APC, > I tried to simplify the problem a bit. There is definitly a bug that > Wolfram should take notice. It would be nice if WRI could give an answer . > > The folllowing is obviously correct: > Sum[Sin[k]*Cos[k + 1], {k, 1, 1}] > Out: Cos[2] Sin[1] > > When we do the same with indefinite summation: > Sum[Sin[k]*Cos[k + 1], {k, 1, n}] /. n -> 1 // Simplify // Expand > Out: Sin[1]/2 + Cos[2] Sin[1] > > we get an additional term: Sin[1]/2 !!! > > Sincerely, Daniel > > APC wrote: &g...

Re: Re: math glyphs from non-Mathematica font
On Fri, 22 May 2009 01:50:51 -0400 (EDT), skkaul wrote: > On May 10, 5:13 am, John Fultz <jfu...@wolfram.com> wrote: > >> <install= >> directory>/SystemFiles/FrontEnd/TextResources/UnicodeFontMapping.tr >> > Besides the comments, is there any documentation on this file? In > particular, what are type V and H entries, and what font is referenced > by -2? > > Thanks, > Shiva It's not documented because it's not intended for user consumption, although being able to edit it very rarely allows working around certain issues...

Re: Novice problem in mathematica syntax : Function of a function
hi, What I want to do is to : Plot Reflectivity: Refelectivity is an expression ( or a function ) depending on nfilm which in turn depends on epsmodel( which in itself is a function of 3 parameters and a variable ) therefore : epsmodel = f(a,b,c,d,x) (* result is a comlpex number *) nfilm = sqrt[epsmodel] reflectivity = ((nfilm - 1) / (nfilm +1))^2 I just want to plot reflectivity and see the variation in it when (a,b,c,x) varies ( using the Manipulate[] tool ) Please let me know how to do this in term of these functions ? the exact formalism for which I got the error : ...

Re: Re: Hide Mathematica kernel window #3
Hi Mukhtar <snippage> > Kernel window bears no function (except may be to force shut > down evaluation when mathematica stops responding to ALT+.) and I do > not see why it would be kept on desktop. May be it is beautiful. The kernel is quite useful in and of itself. For one, I can evaluate everything straight away -- I don't have to start the front end, hit "Evaluate", then wait for the kernel to load and my results to appear. In addition it is quite useful, provided your path is set accordingly, as a calculator in a console window. Rega...

Re: math =!= mathematica
On 3/23/10 at 4:23 AM, hemmecke@gmail.com (hemmecke) wrote: >Does somebody know why I get different behaviour for the following >General::dupsym: The symbol Array with context A` already exists. >message? Why does that message appear at all? If A`Array exists, >then Mathematica should just use it, shouldn't it? >According to >http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/tutorial/Contexts.html we >have: >`name a symbol in the current context >So why is Mathematica complaining? The message is not telling you the symbol exists in the current cont...

RE: Re: General--Difficulties in Understanding Mathematica Syntax #3
Hi Chris, do you think that the C# world will include solvers like Integrate, DSolve etc and are there plans to include the symbolic capabilities of Mathematica? These are examples of the key strenghts which keep us all paying for Mathematica upgrades. What you describe below leads me to wonder whether Wolfram are on the road to making the Front End better integrated with the web. It seems daft that the process of converting Notebooks to WebPages is so time consuming, and why cant we use GUIKit to create web ready interfaces? -----Original Message----- From: chris.chiasson@...

Web resources about - Re: Output display of exponential function in Mathematica #3 - comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica

Exponential decay - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A quantity undergoing exponential decay. Larger decay constants make the quantity vanish much more rapidly. This plot shows decay for decay constants ...

Opportunities For Women In the Exponential Era: Vivek Wadhwa at TEDxBayArea Ignite - YouTube
Vivek Wadhwa is Vice President of Academics and Innovation at Singularity University; Fellow, Arthur & Toni Rembe Rock Center for Corporate Governance, ...

SocietyOne hires architect of Lending Club's exponential P2P growth
... lender is about to ramp up for an attack on banks' highly-profitable personal lending books, SocietyOne has hired the architect of the exponential ...

Exponential Changes in Forecasting - AccuWeather.com
Meteorologists have gone from forecasting three days of weather to forecasting 25. New technology makes that possible.

Exponential algorithm making Windows XP miserable could be fixed
A decade of patches makes svchost.exe a very sad boy indeed.

Exponential complexity
This entry was posted on Tuesday, March 23rd, 2010 at 12:36 am and is filed under Burkean bells , Good News For Conservatives . You can follow ...

Cisco: In the Market for Finisar? Mobile Forecast Shows Exponential Growth through 2018
Shares of Cisco Systems (CSCO) are up 3 cents at $21.82, as a rumor apparently makes the round the company is considering buying fiber optics ...

Exponentials, Currying, and Universal Constructions
Haskell is a language deeply rooted in category theory. But as you don’t need to study the root system of Vitis vinifera in order to enjoy a ...

TrackingPoint Announces Exponential Growth For 2014
TrackingPoint Announces Exponential Growth For 2014 Company Restructures To Streamline Operations and Accelerate Growth PR Newswire PFLUGERVILLE, ...

"A truly greedy executive would keep a much lower profile than Shkreli: there would be no headline-grabbing ...
"... just boring but reliable ticks upward; no interviews, no tweeting, and absolutely no hip-hop feuds. A truly greedy executive would stay ...