Re: Re: math glyphs from non-Mathematica font

On Fri, 22 May 2009 01:50:51 -0400 (EDT), skkaul wrote:
> On May 10, 5:13 am, John Fultz <jfu...@wolfram.com> wrote:
>
>> <install=
>> directory>/SystemFiles/FrontEnd/TextResources/UnicodeFontMapping.tr
>>
> Besides the comments, is there any documentation on this file? In
> particular, what are type V and H entries, and what font is referenced
> by -2?
>
> Thanks,
> Shiva

It's not documented because it's not intended for user consumption, although
being able to edit it very rarely allows working around certain issues. It's
not secret, either, but I'm not inclined to give a big lecture about it.  I'd
prefer to focus on things that affect more users.  But, in brief...

H = character that spans horizontally (plus a list of glyph indices which
compose the parts)
V = character that spans vertically (plus glyph indices)
-2 = character which maps to font 2 on non-Greek systems and pulls from the
system fonts on Greek systems.  Unicode does not distinguish between Greek
characters used for language and those used for math (except for the special
case of epsilon), so we have to instead.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz@wolfram.com
User Interface Group