Re: Re: Re: Re: Newly Released Mathematica 5.1 Delivers Unmatched Performance for Handling Data

John,

I was thinking of angular measurement. The following works...

Needs["Miscellaneous`Units`"]

Convert[(Pi/4)*Radian, �]
45 �

but the following, using an approximate value, does not work because Degree
immediately multiplies out undoing the conversion.

Convert[1.35 Radian, �]
1.35

The ExtendUnits package at my web site fixes this but at the expense of
putting a HoldForm on the degree symbol.

Needs["Miscellaneous`V4ExtendUnits`"]

1.35 Radian // ToUnit[�]
% // FullForm
77.3493 �
Times[77.34930234266115`, HoldForm[Degree]]

Since I generally consider value substitution and unit conversion as the
last step in a physical calculation this is not a huge problem. Still it
would be nice if units and numerical constants had different names.

David Park
djmp@earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: John Jowett [mailto:John.Jowett@cern.ch]

I'm not sure that it is necessary to have a unit Degree as Kelvin is already
there and is used, e.g., in the definition of BoltzmannConstant.   The
Miscellaneous`Units` has a special handling of temperature scales
(ConvertTemperature) that are not proportional to each other like other
units.   It seems a bit clumsy but I don't have much occasion to use it
myself.   Otherwise
Convert[5 Fahrenheit, Kelvin]

returns something that might be considered reasonable, with a warning
message.

"David Park" <djmp@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> John,
>
> Your idea about non-conflicting color names seems good. Also there should
be
> a unit Degree and a different name for the numerical constant.

0
djmp (1214)