Re: Re: X-windows display of Mathematica graphics run remotely on Mac OS X machine

on 08/14/03 5:07 AM, Lot-o-fun at lotofun@hotmail.com wrote:

>> Seems as if what you really want is an X11 front end.  Then you do as
>> 'normal', i.e., fire up the local front end and have it talk to the kernel
>> on the Mac.  Unless you're really wanting the Mac to be sending the
>> window/graphics info, i.e. run an X11 front end on the Mac but have it
>> display on the other machine.  In that case, I'm completely clueless (though
>> my guess is that it can't be done that way).
>
> An X11 front end that runs on the Mac would be fine.  Even better would
> be a way to display graphics only using X11, so that at any computer
> that has X11 capability, I could login remotely to the Mac and run
> Mathematica on the command line but not give up the graphics.

What you describe is pretty much *exactly* what a front end does.  So, you'd
be using an X11 front end on whatever box you're on and it would connect to
a kernel running on the Mac.  (Note: no need to have an X11 front end
running on the Mac, although such a thing is at least theoretically possible
given that Apple has released an X11 for OS X.)

- Eric.
--

Eric Strobel (fyzycyst@NOSPAM^mailaps.org)

I'm searching for myself...  If I get back before I return, please
make sure I stay here.

fyzycyst (2)

In article <bhi5bc$hl5$1@smc.vnet.net>, Eric L. Strobel
<fyzycyst@comcast.net> wrote:

> What you describe is pretty much *exactly* what a front end does.  So, you'd
> be using an X11 front end on whatever box you're on and it would connect to
> a kernel running on the Mac.  (Note: no need to have an X11 front end
> running on the Mac, although such a thing is at least theoretically possible
> given that Apple has released an X11 for OS X.)

There are several good reasons to have the setup I described (running
Mathematica remotely on the command line using ssh, displaying graphics
locally via X11).  Here's one: I wouldn't need to install a Mathematica
front end on the local machine to run Mathematica remotely, only X11.
Since X11 and ssh are widely available, this would expand my ability to
run Mathematica while not sitting in my office.

-Lotofun

0
lotofun61 (67)