Running two silmultaneous instances of mathematica using a command line

We have Mathematica 5.0  for Windows running a real-time SPC
manufacturing application. We can manually set two notebooks to run
simultaneously in two separate instances of Mathematica.  However, we
would like to programmatically  set up Mathematica so that an in-house
scheduler program shutdowns and starts both  Mathematica processes when
any out-of-our-control situation occurs.

When running our non-Mathematica scheduler, if we send  to execute
"Mathematica.exe first.nb" the application starts running first.nb
successfully.
If we send the second notebook to execute ("Mathematica.exe second.nb")
there is no new instance of Mathematica.
Instead the second.nb opens in the already existing Mathematica process
for the first notebook.

Manually we can click on the Mathematica shortcut and we can get two
instances of Mathematica running simultaneously.

We would like to do the same using a command line. Open two different
notebooks and have them run in separate Mathematica instances, though
running simultaneously in real time.

Could someone please advice us on how we can accomplish this.

Thanks,

Ariel Sepulveda

0
arielsep (3)

Instead of launching the Mathematica.exe binary in the installation
directory, launch the Mathematica.exe binary in
SystemFiles\FrontEnd\Binaries\Windows.  The former is a simple launcher
program which tries its hardest to redirect requests for opening notebooks
to running copies of the user interface.  The latter is the user interface
binary itself.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz@wolfram.com
User Interface Group
Wolfram Research, Inc.

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 04:49:54 -0400 (EDT), Sepulveda, Ariel wrote:
> We have Mathematica 5.0  for Windows running a real-time SPC
> manufacturing application. We can manually set two notebooks to run
> simultaneously in two separate instances of Mathematica.  However, we
> would like to programmatically  set up Mathematica so that an in-house
> scheduler program shutdowns and starts both  Mathematica processes when
> any out-of-our-control situation occurs.
>
> When running our non-Mathematica scheduler, if we send  to execute
> "Mathematica.exe first.nb" the application starts running first.nb
> successfully.
> If we send the second notebook to execute ("Mathematica.exe second.nb")
> there is no new instance of Mathematica.
> Instead the second.nb opens in the already existing Mathematica process
> for the first notebook.
>
> Manually we can click on the Mathematica shortcut and we can get two
> instances of Mathematica running simultaneously.
>
> We would like to do the same using a command line. Open two different
> notebooks and have them run in separate Mathematica instances, though
> running simultaneously in real time.
>
> Could someone please advice us on how we can accomplish this.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ariel Sepulveda

0
jfultz (571)