Huffman-Code

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has ever implemented the
famous Huffman-Code with Scilab.

Best regards,

J=FCrgen

0
iso

In Scilab I'm not aware of any existing implementation (apart from SIP
that uses Huffman codes to compress images, probably in C) but I have
not searched thoroughly.

A way to go could be to translate Matlab implementations for Huffman
codes, such as:

http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/loadFile.do?objectId=4900&objectType=file
http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/loadFile.do?objectId=2818&objectType=FILE

Scilab has an automatic translator that should be able to do the work
for you.

Cheers,
Francois

0
Francois
12/2/2005 10:36:56 AM
Thanks a lot for your hint. I forgot to look at the Matlab-ressources.
Have to see, if I can put those M-files to work.

Have a nice weekend,

J=FCrgen

0
iso

A quantum analog of Huffman coding vs. a Huffman coding
A quantum analog of Huffman coding has been proposed by Samuel L. Braunstein, Christopher A. Fuchs, Daniel Gottesman, Hoi-Kwong Lo (http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/9805080). Is "A quantum analog of Huffman coding" a Huffman coding? -- Alex Vinokur email: alex DOT vinokur AT gmail DOT com http://mathforum.org/library/view/10978.html http://sourceforge.net/users/alexvn ...

Coding Gain: Huffman Code
Hey All, Could someone tell me how to find out the coding gain if Huffman coding i used. The BER without coding is 0.1. I found the Huffman code of th alphabet and got an efficiency of 98 %. How do I calculate the coding gai or the BER when the coding is used for a specific SNR value? Thanks, Nisha On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 08:03:22 -0600, "Nisha_Malh" <farah727rash@gmail.com> wrote: >Hey All, > >Could someone tell me how to find out the coding gain if Huffman coding is >used. The BER without coding is 0.1. I found the Huffman code of the >alphabet and got an eff...

Huffman Coding and Arithmetic Coding
Hi everybody, i m trying to find somebody who ever worked on Huffman coding... Trying to use files found in File Exchange, and i ve got a lot of errors I don't understand... Please, contact me if u know stg about image compression... Thanx "amelie" <amelie.quinet@reseau.eseo.fr> wrote in message news:ef2ca1d.-1@webx.raydaftYaTP... > Hi everybody, > > i m trying to find somebody who ever worked on Huffman coding... > Trying to use files found in File Exchange, and i ve got a lot of > errors I don't understand... > > Please, contact me if u know...

source code in matlab for huffman coding
hi.iam in need of source code in matlab for huffman coding using the default table, i tring to write this code but i cann't write it. could you send to me function to generat huffman table without input ...

has anyone used scilab to write math then xcos a block in it to put their code then something to turn their model into HDL hardware description language?
has anyone used scilab to write math then xcos a block in it to put their code then something to turn their model into HDL hardware description language? ...

request for source code of adaptive huffman coding

huffman coding
I am working on image compression I want huffman encoding in maple,would you mind help me? Thanks ...

To Code or Not to Code?
Just read a paper with the very interesting title, "To code or not to code: lossy source-channel communication revisited", Gastpar et al, IEEE Trans Information Theory, May 2003, p 1147. It's available for free here... http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/~gastpar/01197846.pdf As far as I can tell, the idea is that although source and channel coding can be separated without loss of optimality (Shannon) it can be overly complex, and less complex systems can get close to this opimality by combining source and channel coding, or at least matching them in some way. This sounds like a pret...

Why is this code not the same as that code?
---- this code* ---- procedure TChatForm.FileListenItemClick(Sender: TObject); begin FileListenItem.Checked := not FileListenItem.Checked; if FileListenItem.Checked then begin ClientSocket.Active := False; ServerSocket.Active := True; Statusbar1.Panels[0].Text := 'Listening...'; end else begin if ServerSocket.Active then ServerSocket.Active := False; Statusbar1.Panels[0].Text := ''; end; end; procedure TChatForm.FileConnectItemClick(Sender: TObject); begin if ClientSocket.Active then ClientSocket.Active := False; if InputQuery('Computer to connect to', 'Address Name:', Server) then if Length(Server) > 0 then begin clientsocket.Host := Server; clientsocket.Active := True; FileListenItem.Checked := False; end; end; ------------------ ---- that code* --- procedure TChatForm.FileListenItemClick(Sender: TObject); begin FileListenItem.Checked := not FileListenItem.Checked; if FileListenItem.Checked then begin ClientSocket.Active := False; ServerSocket.Active := True; Statusbar1.Panels[0].Text := 'Listening...'; end else begin if ServerSocket.Active then ServerSocket.Active := False; Statusbar1.Panels[0].Text := ''; end; end; procedure TChatForm.FileConnectItemClick(Sender: TObject); begin if ClientSocket.Active then ClientSocket.Active := False; if Input...

huffman code
hi, i need a computer program(MATLAB) that generates Huffman codes for a source alphabet (word file) thanx sir, ...

To code or not to code?
To code or not to code, that is question! Reporting from Lotus Notes Applications has never been easy. Notes developers usually need to write reams of code to create even the simplest of reports. Check this - a single-level cross-tab report takes about 2 days of code writing! Creating reports with higher functionality only means more coding and more complexities. Is there an alternative to this? You bet there is! Introducing IntelliPRINT Reporting - a cutting-edge next generation solution for Lotus Notes reporting. It is a native Lotus Notes solution that acts as an add-on lay...

Huffman coding
respected sir, Please send me full coding of this program. thank you. Phase 1 Tasks Read the message to be encoded and compute character frequencies for each character in the message (include the EOF character). Store these frequencies in an array indexed by each character's ASCII code. Print out each character with its frequency. Create a priority queue prioritized by the smallest frequency for the characters in the message. The priority queue is to be implemented using the heap ADT. The code has been covered in the lectures. Using the priority queue, create a Huffman tree for...

huffman coding over and over again
Is it possible to do huffman coding over and over again? Maybe try to flip the even or odd bits between each recoding? Maybe try other transformations between each coding to shuffle the data so it seems as if it's a new piece of data so it can be recoded again. When we want to decompress the data, we would do a huffman decode then shuffle it back to the way it was, then decode again...etc... Is it possible? Thanks Rich Koup wrote: > Is it possible to do huffman coding over and over again? Maybe try to flip > the even or odd bits between each recoding? Maybe try other transfo...

huffman coding
Can someone show me a quick example of what huffman coding does in C ? I am going to continue learning this subject. Bill "Bill Cunningham" <nospam@nspam.invalid> wrote in message news:490fc7ef$0$5491$bbae4d71@news.suddenlink.net... > Can someone show me a quick example of what huffman coding does in C ? > I am going to continue learning this subject. > > Bill http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huffman_coding "Bill Cunningham" <nospam@nspam.invalid> writes: > Can someone show me a quick example of what huffman coding does in C ? ...

[...]

Coding to the ][, Coding to the ///?
Now that I've gotten some very limited /// stuff running (thanks to MESS)...I've been thinking of trying to code to the ///. Fortunately, getting software to the emulated /// is a snap. I'd just use the same strategy as I use for the ][, using the emulated ][+ from ApplePC. Save to a ProDOS disk, boot on the ///. The questions become a bit more complex here. 1. I assume the 40x24 text mode works similarly to the ][. Running on MESS, part of the text screen would periodically get "colorized", and I suspect the color memory is stored on text page 2. This woul...

atexit, sys.exit, sys.exitfunc, reaching end of source code
Hi, I am playing with the atexit module but I don't find a way to see the difference between a script calling sys.exit(<returncode>) and the interpreting arriving at the end of the source code file. This has a semantic difference for my applications. Is there a way to determine in an exithandler (that is registered using atexit.register) how I exited? Second question: is there a way to determine in my exithandler what the return code was. atexit doesn't seem to support that Third question: I can solve part of my problem by reassigning sys.exit = myfunction Is that a wise idea?...

Math.random() and Math.round(Math.random()) and Math.floor(Math.random()*2)
Assuming one needs to have a function returning false or true on each call in pseudo-random order.and using JavaScript native Math.random() method as the basis of the pseudo-randomness. Say the variants of such function are: getAnswer1() { var n = Math.round(Math.random()); return n ? true : false; } getAnswer2() { var n = Math.floor(Math.random()*2); return (n==2) ? true : false; } Leaving obvious practical testing by platforms aside: Is there are theoretical considerations that pseudo-randomness (predictability) of either of above will be better or worse than the o...

[Log File] Creating Length-Limited Huffman Codes Using n-ary Huffman Template Algorithm
===================================== Creating Length-Limited Huffman Codes ===================================== #============================================= # n-ary Huffman Template Algorithm # http://sourceforge.net/projects/huffman-ta # Version 2.4 #............................................. # Alex Vinokur # http://up.to/alexvn # alex DOT vinokur AT gmail DOT com #--------------------------------------------- # MINGW # GNU gcc version 3.3.3 #--------------------------------------------- # START # Thu Sep 30 18:28:43 2004 #===============...

scicos-HDL the install steps don't match what is there in the stable scilab or scicos programs does it still work? can I convert some math functions that work in scilab to verilog?
scicos-HDL the install steps don't match what is there in the stable scilab or scicos programs does it still work? can I convert some math functions that work in scilab to verilog? On Aug 10, 11:12=A0pm, "joshua w." <josh...@gmail.com> wrote: > scicos-HDL the install steps don't match what is there in the stable > scilab or scicos programs does it still work? can I convert some math > functions that work in scilab to verilog? scicos-HDL does not work with scilab anymore. Scicos is now a separate project called ScicosLab. it is based on version 4.x of scicos. I have tried using scicos-HDL and found it to be lacking. Basically this was some grad students class project and doesn't seem to be well maintained. Also it is not part of the scicos consortium so I don't think you will get much support. But, I think it will install with ScicosLab 4.3 Dave would you think I could install it to xcos somehow? would their be a way to turn scilabs math equations I write into a model block in xcos then save it as a model of some sort then something else turn that model data into hdl? How about the c output any good results with that? On Aug 11, 3:59=A0pm, "dscol...@rcn.com" <dscol...@rcn.com> wrote: > On Aug 10, 11:12=A0pm, "joshua w." <josh...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > scicos-HDL the install steps don't match what is there in the stable > > scilab or scicos programs ...

huffman coding finding
i cannot find any huffman coding with simulink..i really dont know how to link M-file with simulink..any one really to help ...

Huffman Code #2
Hi, I need a matlab program that generate the Huffman codewords of a set of symbols if their properties are known.. thanx On 8 Apr 04 14:56:45 -0400 (EDT), rosy wrote: >Hi, >I need a matlab program that generate the Huffman codewords of a set >of symbols if their properties are known.. >thanx Hi rosey you can find mfiles about huffman codding &de-codding in follow link http://www.cs.wright.edu/~fdgarber/740/default.html good luck Ahmad ...

huffman coding #4
Hi I have to write a program which will be encode and decode file, using the optimal huffman coding. Can somebody help me??:) I don't have any idea who to do that. thanks in advance Lukasz "Lukasz" <lkondrad@poczta.onet.pl> wrote in message news:cmt9j7$p6m$1@news.cc.tut.fi... > Hi > > I have to write a program which will be encode and decode file, using the > optimal huffman coding. Can somebody help me??:) I don't have any idea who > to do that. > > thanks in advance > > Lukasz > > who?... you! :-) Where are you stuck? Do you...

Web resources about - Huffman-Code - comp.soft-sys.math.scilab