2D plot of surface slice

I have a surface created with TriScatteredInterp, exactly as in the example here:
http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/ref/triscatteredinterpclass.html

Now i need a 2D line plot of the intersection of a vertical plane with this surface.  This should be a very common problem, just the depth/elevation profile of a surface along a line, but I cannot find an example.
0
Noel
11/19/2009 7:20:22 PM
comp.soft-sys.matlab 209315 articles. 11 followers. lunamoonmoon (258) is leader. Post Follow

"Noel Black" <tex.noel@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a surface created with TriScatteredInterp, exactly as in the example
>here:
> http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/ref/triscatteredinterpclass.html
>
> Now i need a 2D line plot of the intersection of a vertical plane with
> this surface.  This should be a very common problem, just the
> depth/elevation profile of a surface along a line, but I cannot find an
> example.

Hi Noel,

When viewed from the Z direction your slice plane is line in the X-Y plane.
You just need to create a poly-line in the X-Y plane, compute the
corresponding values on the surface and plot them.
Here's an example that refers to the same data set;
Let's take a line that goes from (-2,-2) to (2,2) in the X-Y plane
The poly-line is as follows;
xl = (-2:0.25:2)';
yl = (-2:0.25:2)';

% Now evaluate the elevation on the surface
zl = F(xl,yl);

% Next plot the line on the surface
% Due it sampling inaccuracies the line will weave above and below the
surface facets.
% I will lift it up a tad to make the plot look pretty

mesh(qx,qy,qz);
zl_lifted = zl + max(zl)*0.05;
hold on;
plot3(xl,yl,zl_lifted, '-k', 'LineWidth',1.4)
hold off

How's that?

Damian

0
Damian
11/20/2009 4:22:01 PM
"Noel Black" <tex.noel@gmail.com> wrote in message <he45pm$1qv$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> I have a surface created with TriScatteredInterp, exactly as in the example here:
> http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/ref/triscatteredinterpclass.html
>
> Now i need a 2D line plot of the intersection of a vertical plane with this surface.  This should be a very common problem, just the depth/elevation profile of a surface along a line, but I cannot find an example.

give a look at this:

http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/10408-contours-for-triangular-grids

http://www.advancedmcode.org/
0