Available serial ports

Hello,
I'm creating a small GUI with a serial object. Now I want to find the serial ports of my machine that are available. Is there a way to do it with Matlab without the use of the Instrument Control Toolbox? I know, it is possible with " instrhwinfo('serial') " (see: http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/newsreader/view_thread/249631 ). But I don't have the Instrument Control Toolbox.

Best regards
Frank
0
Frank

"Frank Lorenz" <frank.lorenz@delphi.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I'm creating a small GUI with a serial object. Now I want to find the
> serial ports of my machine that are available. Is there a way to do it
> with Matlab without the use of the Instrument Control Toolbox? I know, it
> is possible with " instrhwinfo('serial') " (see:
> http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/newsreader/view_thread/249631 ).
> But I don't have the Instrument Control Toolbox.

Hi Frank,

There isn't a clean solution provided in base MATLAB to do what you want.
If you would like to see that functionality, the best way voice your
interest is to make an enhancement request with tech support.

Since a serial port name in itself does not tell you what is connected on
the other side and communicating with all serial devices can lead to
problems, you probably do want some user input regarding which serial port
to use even if you do have a list of ports.

0
Trent