Basic question about Matlab guide

I have a matlab 7.0.1 on windows xp machine, and I was trying to learn
guide from the example in the manual, basically there are three push
buttons in a panle  to choose the type of graph (surf, contour, mesh)
and a pop up menu to choose different data, and a axis. I've
encountered strange problems.

The first time when I finish the gui design and test it, the figure
(axis) does not show up, also push buttons are covered by the panel and
can not be seen. I have set figure visible.

Then I decided to start over, this time I were able to see all the
components initially, but after I choose contour, the three push
buttons disappear, although the figure is updated, the code works fine
for me to switch between mesh and surf, but I can never go to contour,
once I go there, all three push buttons disappear and I can go nowhere
from there.

Anybody encountered the same problems and know why? Thanks a lot for
your help, please email the answer to helium_mercury@hotmail.com, if
it's appropriate.

Best,

Sinbad

helium_mercury@hotmail.com wrote:

> I have a matlab 7.0.1 on windows xp machine, and I was trying to
> learn
> guide from the example in the manual, basically there are three
> push
> buttons in a panle to choose the type of graph (surf, contour,
> mesh)
> and a pop up menu to choose different data, and a axis. I've
> encountered strange problems.
>
> The first time when I finish the gui design and test it, the figure
> (axis) does not show up, also push buttons are covered by the panel
> and
> can not be seen. I have set figure visible.
>
> Then I decided to start over, this time I were able to see all the
> components initially, but after I choose contour, the three push
> buttons disappear, although the figure is updated, the code works
> fine
> for me to switch between mesh and surf, but I can never go to
> contour,
> once I go there, all three push buttons disappear and I can go
> nowhere
> from there.
>
> Anybody encountered the same problems and know why? Thanks a lot
> for
> your help, please email the answer to helium_mercury@hotmail.com,
> if
> it's appropriate.
>
> Best,
>
> Sinbad

One thing I learned to to always make the panel/button group and then
'drag and drop' the UIcontrols into them. This solves many problems
that you are encountering and also lets you align them easier. (you
can't align objects in a panel if they were initially created 'under'
the panel) This is a problem MathWorks is aware of and fixing.
arun

Matlab Guide Question
I have a problem that I cannot see an edit box in the Guide editor, but it appears when I run the GUI. I can't select it do delete it. I see that there is code in the .m file for it but I can't select it in the Guide. I would like to get rid of it entirely. Can you find it's handle while the GUI is running? You might want to try: findobj('style','edit') % If it is labeled with a string, put that in too. I seem to think that GUIDE GUIs have the handles invisible though. If that is the case, when you launch the GUI, do so with an output argument. H = mygui; findobj('parent',H,'style','edit') Once you have the handle, you can delete it. What version are you using? /RXJJoWa'{aKCGPaNhQKaaEEGGDaJhOMCCVa[CRGCVQDO;QQVCCaWQ"INQP On Feb 6, 11:49=A0pm, "Camron Call" <camronc...@gmail.cam> wrote: > I have a problem that I cannot see an edit box in the Guide editor, but i= t appears when I run the GUI. =A0I can't select it do delete it. =A0I see t= hat there is code in the .m file for it but I can't select it in the Guide.= =A0I would like to get rid of it entirely. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------= --- Can you try enlarging the background figure? Perhaps the edit box is located outside the boundaries that you are currently using for the figure. Enlarging the main figure may bring the edit box back into view. ...

Basic Matlab question?
1. Why isn't 3 divided by 2 equal 1.5 in matlab? 2. In matlab, why is 2/3 equal to 0? Isn't 2/3 equal to 0.667? That's what my Matlab says :) >> 2/3 ans = 0.6667 >> 3/2 ans = 1.5000 So what exactly is your problem? the answers are not abnormal in matlab. try it again properly. "Thomas Cruz" <tcruz1@unm.edu> wrote in message <i83pbo$dhl$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > 1. Why isn't 3 divided by 2 equal 1.5 in matlab? > > 2. In matlab, why is 2/3 equal to 0? Isn't 2/3 equal to 0.667? "martin Müllinger" <zettinger@gmx.de> wrote in message <i83qj5$5uq$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > That's what my Matlab says :) > > >> 2/3 > > ans = > > 0.6667 > > >> 3/2 > > ans = > > 1.5000 However, >> int32(3)/2 ans = 2 In C you'd get 1. Integer arithmetic is not done with integers in MATLAB... :) Cris. "Thomas Cruz" <tcruz1@unm.edu> wrote in message news:i83pbo$dhl$1@fred.mathworks.com... > 1. Why isn't 3 divided by 2 equal 1.5 in matlab? It should be, unless (as some of the other posters have guessed) one or both of your 2 or 3 are actually stored using an integer data type: disp(3/2) disp(int8(3)/2) disp(3/uint16(2)) > 2. In matlab, why is 2/3 equal to 0? Isn't 2/3 equal to 0.667? See above. This behavior is documented...

How does matlab work in this issue ? a matlab principle question
Hello everyone I have an ODE solver computing the temperature every month during a year this script will do the job for j=1:12 [t,T]= ode45(@monthly_solver,tspan,Tic,[],monthly_heat(j),h2(j),); end where Tic is the intial temperature and J loops represents the months Now the question is about matlab principle and how does it work with the initial condition? i mean as the last temperature of the 1st month is the begining temperture of the 2nd month and the last temp. of the 2nd month is the begining temp. of the 3rd month and so on. Do i need to write a command to do ...

Basic question on DLLs in Matlab
Does anybody know a good tutorial about how to implement DLLs written in C++ in Matlab? I'm also a beginner in C++, so I practically don't know anything about how to write a DLL (apart from some very basic introduction). I'd be especially interested in how to include functions in the DLL, and how to call them in Matlab. Can be as simple as a standard IO-command. Any help is welcome, so as to get an idea how this works fundamentally. ...

Basic questions about Matlab/NNT
Hi! I am a newbie in case of artificial neural networks. Please answer simple ;-) I need to implement digit classification (OCR) with numbers 0..9 as output and approx. 3800 training images. I also have ~1800 test images. I found the OCR example shipped with Matlab and played with it. It uses a feedforward NN with backpropagation (newff). Here my questions: How can I determinate the optimal number of training images? If I use 3800 it takes some time to train. I played with subsets of 200, 400, 500, 800 images and the results where not linear increasing. Should I "re-train"...

Some basic questions about MATLAB operation
Hi, I have recently started using MATLAB for a DSP and a Communication Theory class. I have some questions about how MATLAB does some things. 1. To plot a graph, say a sinusoid, I always do this: t=0:.1:10; a=sin(t); plot(t,a) What does MATLAB do to generate the data for the points that are not in increments of .1? for example sin(1.13)? Does it interpolate to generate the graph? Is this sinusoid only valid for .1 increments? In fact, a function in MATLAB is inherently discrete, but we use it to model continuous functions (its 'domain' is actually only 101 samples)? 2. I'm having trouble mixing up the indices of the array (1..101 for t matrix) and the actual values (t(1)=0 t(1)=0.1, etc.)I am doing a lot of shifting of functions (such as f(x) = x -> f(x-2) = x-2) and this is messing me up, I usually get the error, "indices must be positive or logicals.." Mathematically, it makes sense to compute f(x(1)-2) for x(1)=1, but it doesn't make sense in MATLAB to ask for f(-1). This brings me to the question of what is a reasonable matrix size for x. -100:.1:100 ? Does it depend on the precision you need? Is there a 'convention' used to model functions? 3. I had a misconception that MATLAB was very close to mathematical notation. In fact, you have to interpret a lot when using it, often going back to the theory to make sure computations make sense. So am I using it the 'right' way. Usually only crunching huge amounts of numbers? I know...

**** Misc. question for Matlab Basics **** Must see----
hi everyone need ur help for following questions. 1. can we make EXE in Matlab? how? 2. How can we make SETUP of the project? 3. Can we connect our database (microsoft access or ms excel or other form) with .m file in matlab? if no then how can we use database in matlab.? 4. Can we generate reports from the database using matlab application. 5. can anyone fillup this tables and give me equations for images taken for study purpose? magification Pixel mm 20x 1 ? 40x 1 ? 60x 1 ? 80x 1 ? 100x 1 ? if yes then how? reply me soon because i need it urgently.. you can mail me also dhaval_patel_1@yahoo.com, dhaval4friends@indiatimes.com, Regards Dhaval Dhaval Patel wrote: > > > hi everyone > need ur help for following questions. > > > 1. can we make EXE in Matlab? how? yes, with matlab compiler (help mcc) > > 2. How can we make SETUP of the project? > > 3. Can we connect our database (microsoft access or ms excel or > other > form) with .m file in > matlab? if no then how can we use database in matlab.? yes, use matlab database toolbox (if you have), it is very well documented. > > 4. Can we generate reports from the database using matlab > application. > > 5. can anyone fillup this tables and give me equations for images > taken for study purpose? > > > magification Pixel mm > > > 20x 1 ? > 40x 1 ? > 60x 1 ? > 80x 1 ? > ...

very basic matlab question..please read #2
Hi everybody, I wrote this code in matlab solve('a-2=0') matlab wrote: ans = 2 this means that a is equal to 2. But when I write a matlab wrote: a but matlab must know that a =2 . But I think it doesn't match. It doesn't know that a is equal to 2. How can I write the code? Thanks a = solve('a-2=0') and the help-function in matlab helps really ;-)) Slash ...

Matlab AM question
Dear all, I am trying to implement a very simple version of an AM receiver in Matlab but as I am new to this software package I seem to be getting nowhere. So far I have searched the web and Matlab books for examples that would help me to understand how this could be done without much success. I now this is probably a silly thing to ask but could anyone guide me in the right direction, i.e. links to websites, etc. or maybe provide me with a hints. Anything would help really. Your help is much appreciated. Thanks Justin. -- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------- "There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes" Fourth Doctor Who(Tom Baker) Doctor Who Web Site www.doctorwho.hopto.org "Justin Champion" <j.c.champion@staffs.ac.uk> wrote in news:30efnvF2vttghU1@uni-berlin.de: > > Dear all, > I am trying to implement a very simple version of an AM > receiver in > Matlab but as I am new to this software package I seem to be getting > nowhere. So far I have searched the web and Matlab books for examples > that would help me to understand how this could be done without much > success. I now this is probably a silly thing to ask but could anyone > guide me in the right direction, i.e. links to websites, etc. or maybe > provide me with a hints. Anything would help really. > > Your help is much appreciated. &g...

question about Matlab
I have 2 signals with sampling freq 50Hz and different duration. a[n] = [a1 a2 a3 .... an] b[n] = [b1 b2 b3 ............................... bn] In matlab, how to find: A[z]xB[z] A[z]/B[z] Z'(A[z]/B[z]) where Z'() is the inverse Z transform. Thank you! Edw ...

Some questions on matlab
Hi all, i am using matlab and encountered some problems. Kindly advice. 1)i am using newff function to create a neural network.After which, someone advised me to set some of the parameters ,for example, net.performFcn,net.trainParam.goal and many more. But i tried using my matlab help and search for function to llok up for what these parameters do. However, i can't find any help on these parameters. Where can i find them? 2)i intend to use the train function to train my network. In the train function, according to the help file,we can also give T(network targets) as input. Can someone ki...

Calling Compiled MATLAB from MATLAB
Hello everyone, How do I compile MATLAB M files into a form that can then be called from within the MATLAB interpreter? A roundabout way would seem to be to (somehow) Turn the matlab code into C (I think mcc does this), then compile this C code into MEX format and call that. Is there an easier way? I have the MATLAB compiler, so I just need to know what to do with it to get this to work. Thanks in advance, Sina sina.tootoonian wrote: > > > Hello everyone, > > How do I compile MATLAB M files into a form that can then be called > from within the MATLAB interpreter? A roundabout way would seem to > be > to (somehow) Turn the matlab code into C (I think mcc does this), > then > compile this C code into MEX format and call that. Is there an > easier > way? I have the MATLAB compiler, so I just need to know what to do > with > it to get this to work. > > Thanks in advance, > > Sina > > HELP MEX > HELP MEX Or, better, HELP MCC help pcode pseudo code is useful to obfuscate code - protect algorithms, yet still run at full speed and be distributable to other matlab users sina.tootoonian wrote: > > > Hello everyone, > > How do I compile MATLAB M files into a form that can then be called > from within the MATLAB interpreter? A roundabout way would seem to > be > to (somehow) Turn the matlab code into C (I think mcc does this), > then > compile this C code into MEX format and call that...

Few Questions About MATLAB
Hi, was wondering if anyone could help. there are a few things i need to know about some Matlab functions 1- if Pwelch and fft are used to find the Spectral Power Density. but how come when u apply them to the same data, the graphs look different? 2- when using the sendmail function, how does Matlab make the connection and send the data? ive looked at the code that Matlab uses for "sendmail" but its very difficult to understand. if anyone could help, i would be really greatful . thanks. ...

question in matlab
I have been plotted a 3D counter plot via the commands [C,h]=contour3(w,p,green3,10); t = clabel(C,h,'labelspacing',72) get(t(1)) with run the comment in matlab recived this output: Annotation = [ (1 by 1) hg.Annotation array] BackgroundColor = none Color = [0 0 0] DisplayName = EdgeColor = none Editing = off Extent = [0 0 0 0] FontAngle = normal FontName = Helvetica FontSize = [10] FontUnits = points FontWeight = normal HorizontalAlignment = center LineStyle = - LineWidth = [0.5] Margin = [2] Position = [-0.661507 0.649385 -0.01794] Rotation = [290.824] String = -0...

question about matlab
i made a *.m file with de next code q=1.6e-19; Vd=-80; Eo=8.85e-14; E=11.9*Eo; Na=logspace(10,19,20); E_rup_1=20+5*log(Na/1e14)+Na/1e17; E_rup_2=sqrt((-2*q*Na*Vd)/E)*1e-4; semilogx(Na,E_rup_1,Na,E_rup_2) I have ploted in logaritimic scale the functions, "E_rup_1" and "E_rup_2" depending off Na, on the plot and for a Na value, the 2 functions are equal. How can i get the Na value? Thanks If you're trying to graphically determine at which value(s) of Na the two curves are equal, try ginput. HELP GINPUT Kyle beporo wrote: > > > i made a *.m file with de n...

questions on matlab
Dear Sir My name is Tusajigwe, student from Brighton University taking MSC in Digital Electronics and Communication. Now am doing a research on Wireless Communication which concern with email alert to GSM users on their cell pohones,what i want from this project is to make GSM users to receive email alert when they have got new mail and this service will be offered by GSM operator ways of achieving 1)To establish link between ISP and SMS centre,because e-mail alert will be in the form of text message and ISP is the one who knows if someone has mail after see it ISP forward to SMS centre by us...

Few matlab questions
Hello, I have this questions for you. I hope some one can help me. So I have a background image and I want to insert another image over it. A ball for example. But this ball get on top of the background and it streches to full screan. 1) How to make matlab plot a picture in its original size. I don`l want to be stretched. 2) My ball picture is a PNG file so i need not to show the transparent pixels. I used: A = imread('ball.png','BackgroundColor','none'); image(A) but it isn`t working.. 3) Can I load an animation or sound in the plot ...

Matlab how to question?
I am a student of engineer, and I am in a course that's call numeric calculus. I have to do a shore an I'm stuck in a question. I have to minimize the error of an aproximation and make a matlab program that do that, just receiving a few points in two dimensions. More clearly, I will receive a table with 20 points, like (x1,y1)(x2,y2)...(x20,y20), and with the method "ortogonal square minimus" (Something like that) I have to minimize the error of an aproximate polynomial. Some clues? I would apreciate a lot any help anyone may do. Thanks. jim In article <4025405.1180395885...

Matlab basics
I am new to matlab and I need to learn it in order to simulate Ultra Wide band wireless characteristics . I will be simulating Pulse Position modulation and I will need matlab to plot out some graphs to work out stuff like SNR and bit error rate . Its supposed to work using a set of fundamental equations I am not very farmiliar with Matlab . Can anyone suggest a book or possible website I can use to get to grips with the basics . Many thanks guys ...

Matlab plots outside Matlab
I'm making an end-user application where I would like to use Matlab functionality both for calculation and plotting. Matlabs GUI builder guide does not satisfy my needs (no support for f.ex. internal frames and other nescessities), so I'm planning to compile my Matlab code and use other API (Java, QT or something) for GUI. My problem is then, that I loose access to the neat plotting commands availible under matlab GUI... Is there a way of integrating Matlabs plot functionality into another GUI system? - has it been done? - I appreciate any response! - P�l Berge ...

parallel matlab
Hi all, I'm going to work on a project involving a parallel version of MATLAB - I'm aware of various efforts like MATLAB-*P and so on Right now I need to read up on some material regarding MATLAB internals eg: How are the ATLAS(or is it BLAS) routines called in MATLAB? How does MATLAB's C code store information in memory, cache'ing etc? How is one to get at those? Do you know of any suitable reference(s)/resource(s)? Thank you very much, Aravind ...

Matlab
Hello , I'm a new user in Matlab. So should you advise matlab notes , documentation please ? <azatserver113@gmail.com> wrote in message news:7b4e75e2-40c6-43bb-acc6-2553123ba649@googlegroups.com... > Hello , > > I'm a new user in Matlab. So should you advise matlab notes , > documentation please ? > At the MATLAB command prompt type this command: doc This will show the documentation included as part of your installation. I recommend reading through the Getting Started section of the MATLAB documentation first, and executing the examp...

matlab
any one please can help me sploving the following question 1________Given the causal system y[n] =3D 0.9y[n-1] + x[n], find H(z) and sketch the pole-zero plot. See the functions roots.m and zplane.m. 2___ Plot the magnitude and phase of H(z) on the frequency axis from 0 =E2=80=93 =EF=81=B0, or normalized frequency 0 - 1, and label the graphs. S= ee the freqz.m command. hani_al_yazidi@hotmail.com wrote: > any one please can help me sploving the following question > > > 1________Given the causal system > > y[n] = 0.9y[n-1] + x[n], > > find H(z) and sketch the pole-zero plot. See the functions roots.m and > zplane.m. > > 2___ Plot the magnitude and phase of H(z) on the frequency axis from 0 > – , or normalized frequency 0 - 1, and label the graphs. See the > freqz.m command. It looks like homework. State what you tried and what error messages you got and someone who knows Matlab will probably help. We try not to do homework here, but (like gods) we do help those who help themselves. Jerry -- Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can get. ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯&...

can Matlab support 32-bit matlab version scripts on 64-bit version of matlab
can Matlab support 32-bit matlab version scripts on 64-bit version of matlab in windows platform?.if yes , how is the performance better ? please do answer this question thank u "Gangamma " <gangvsng@gmail.com> wrote in message <hvmr7h$sn0$1@fred.mathworks.com>... > can Matlab support 32-bit matlab version scripts on 64-bit version of matlab in windows platform?.if yes , how is the performance better ? Yes, Matlab program written in 32/64 bits are compatible accepted MEX file. 64-bit version can handle larger array but does *NOT* improve speed. Br...

Web resources about - Basic question about Matlab guide - comp.soft-sys.matlab

Waleed Aly questions why begging is illegal on The Project
'Maybe the reason we are punishing the homeless for begging us to help isn't because we object to taking some coins out of our pocket. Maybe ...

Detectives question man over murder
POLICE are investigating the murder of a man at Port Adelaide.

Waleed Aly questions why begging is illegal on The Project
'Maybe the reason we are punishing the homeless for begging us to help isn't because we object to taking some coins out of our pocket. Maybe ...

Odd questions on Google Opinion Rewards ask what you would pay for Project Ara modules
Project Ara has been very quiet this year, with the last we really heard from the Mountain View company being a “re-route” announced last year. ...

Ricky Gervais Asks the Big Questions in Verizon's Latest Campaign
Every weekday, we bring you the Ad Age/iSpot Hot Spots, new and trending TV commercials tracked by iSpot.tv, a company that catalogs, tags and ...

11 questions we're asking ourselves after 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice'
Zack Snyder's bleak vision of the iconic characters left us with a few things to ponder, like, why is life so awful?

Chevrolet SportsNet Central Update: Red Sox lingering questions, Final & Frozen Fours
Chevrolet SportsNet Central Update: Red Sox lingering questions, Final & Frozen Fours

Must-Ask Questions For Potential Software Developers
Asking the right questions in an interview can save you from making a bad hire.

Residents fed up, still asking questions about gas leaks in neighborhood
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — The smell of gas still smothers a Kansas City neighborhood and residents say the damage from the fumes goes beyond a bothersome ...