Can Matlab 6.5.1 (R13) and 7.0 (R14) coexist on Windows?

Hi!

I just installed R14 in parallel to R13 and it seems that this affected
the behaviour of R13. One example is the following:

Directly from the example in 'help dfilt/df2sos' I get an error:

    [z,p,k] = butter(30,0.5);
    [s,g] = zp2sos(z,p,k);
    Hd = dfilt.df2sos(s,g)

??? The number of colums of the state matrix must be a multiple of 15.

As I'm using the output of one matlab function as input to another, this
should never fail. :-(

A colleague of mine has only R13 and there it works. I assume R14
destroyed my R13 installation partially.

Any help is appreciated!

Joachim

PS: Of course, R14 is installed in a different directory. ;-)
PPS: This did work ok with R12 and R13 on one machine.

Joachim Selinger:
> I just installed R14 in parallel to R13 and it seems that this
affected the behaviour of R13.
     [z,p,k] = butter(30,0.5);
     [s,g] = zp2sos(z,p,k);
     Hd = dfilt.df2sos(s,g)
yields an error...

we run r13.1/r14 concurrently on the same wintel machine without any
problem. also, your code runs fine.
must be something rather local (java?)
us
0
us1 (8051)
7/19/2004 3:20:02 PM
That happens to me as well, except that in my case it causes Matlab
6.5 to crash whenever I run both at the same time. It's fine if I
only run one Matlab at a time.

Joachim Selinger wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I just installed R14 in parallel to R13 and it seems that this
> affected
> the behaviour of R13. One example is the following:
0
calc_r (1)
7/20/2004 1:48:20 AM
Hi US!

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 11:20:02 -0400
us <us@neurol.unizh.ch> wrote:

> Joachim Selinger:
> > I just installed R14 in parallel to R13 and it seems that this
> affected the behaviour of R13.
>      [z,p,k] = butter(30,0.5);
>      [s,g] = zp2sos(z,p,k);
>      Hd = dfilt.df2sos(s,g)
> yields an error...
>
> we run r13.1/r14 concurrently on the same wintel machine without any
> problem. also, your code runs fine.
> must be something rather local (java?)

Hmmm.. strange. I thought that Matlab uses the Java that comes with
Matlab and not the one that is installed on the machine itself. Am I
right?

If I check the execution path of matlab on the commandline ( !path ) I
see that somehow matlab R14 has both matlab bin directories there; the
one for R13 and for R14, although I didn't put them in my environment
path! Maybe this is the reason for the problems?

Any further ideas out there?

Joachim
Hi Joachim,

You may be right about the path thing. The R13 MATLAB may be finding
libraries in the R14 bin/win32 directory and running into these errors
because of imcompatible code. In the short-term, make sure that if you are
running R14, it's bin/win32 directory is before R13's on the path and
vice-versa. We are investigating this and will try provide a better solution
asap.

Sean

"Joachim Selinger" <joachim.selinger@de.bosch.com> wrote in message
> Hi US!
>
> On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 11:20:02 -0400
> us <us@neurol.unizh.ch> wrote:
>
> > Joachim Selinger:
> > > I just installed R14 in parallel to R13 and it seems that this
> > affected the behaviour of R13.
> >      [z,p,k] = butter(30,0.5);
> >      [s,g] = zp2sos(z,p,k);
> >      Hd = dfilt.df2sos(s,g)
> > yields an error...
> >
> > we run r13.1/r14 concurrently on the same wintel machine without any
> > problem. also, your code runs fine.
> > must be something rather local (java?)
>
> Hmmm.. strange. I thought that Matlab uses the Java that comes with
> Matlab and not the one that is installed on the machine itself. Am I
> right?
>
> If I check the execution path of matlab on the commandline ( !path ) I
> see that somehow matlab R14 has both matlab bin directories there; the
> one for R13 and for R14, although I didn't put them in my environment
> path! Maybe this is the reason for the problems?
>
> Any further ideas out there?
>
> Joachim

0
scote (115)
7/20/2004 2:45:41 PM
Sean Cote:
<SNIP problem running r13.x/r14 concurrently...

> You may be right about the path thing.
> In the short-term, make sure that if
> you are running R14, it's bin/win32 directory is before R13's on
the path and vice-versa.

hmmm, interesting notion.

     e=evalc('!path');
     p=strread(e,'%s','delimiter',';')

r13.1: p=
'PATH=G:\usr\r13.1\bin\win32'
'g:\usr\r14\bin\win32'
'MANY MORE'
'g:\usr\r14\bin\win32'
'g:\usr\r13.1\bin\win32\'

r14: p=
'PATH=G:\usr\r14\bin\win32'
'g:\usr\r14\bin\win32'
'MANY MORE'
'g:\usr\r14\bin\win32'
'g:\usr\r13.1\bin\win32\'

the question is: where does get ML get its path from, which it puts
in front of the list upon startup? the <prefdir>/*.prf? the
registry?

us
0
us1 (8051)