Can't seem to get any functions to work in 7.8.0 Student

Hello everyone,

I just installed a student version (7.8.0 R2009aSV) of Matlab on my MacBook and have activated it.

I can't seem to find any of the functions Im used to using in matlab - like 'freqz' for example.

I type 'help freqz' into the command line, and it says 'freqz not found'.

Could someone help me resolve this?  Im not new to Matlab, just new to using Matlab on my own computers - I always had it on computers at work or school.

Thanks!
Mike
0
Michael

"Michael " <michael.zartarian@gmail.com> wrote in message <holmls$p2r$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> Hello everyone,
>
> I just installed a student version (7.8.0 R2009aSV) of Matlab on my MacBook and have activated it.
>
> I can't seem to find any of the functions Im used to using in matlab - like 'freqz' for example.
>
> I type 'help freqz' into the command line, and it says 'freqz not found'.
>
> Could someone help me resolve this?  Im not new to Matlab, just new to using Matlab on my own computers - I always had it on computers at work or school.
>
> Thanks!
> Mike

a hint:
- FREQZ is part of the signal proc tbx...

% to make sure it's installed,
% look at the output of
     ver signal;

us
0
us
3/27/2010 7:51:05 PM
"us " <us@neurol.unizh.ch> wrote in message <holnj9$8cq$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> "Michael " <michael.zartarian@gmail.com> wrote in message <holmls$p2r$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I just installed a student version (7.8.0 R2009aSV) of Matlab on my MacBook and have activated it.
> >
> > I can't seem to find any of the functions Im used to using in matlab - like 'freqz' for example.
> >
> > I type 'help freqz' into the command line, and it says 'freqz not found'.
> >
> > Could someone help me resolve this?  Im not new to Matlab, just new to using Matlab on my own computers - I always had it on computers at work or school.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Mike
>
> a hint:
> - FREQZ is part of the signal proc tbx...
>
> % to make sure it's installed,
> % look at the output of
>      ver signal;
>
> us

Here is my output for ver signal:
MATLAB Version 7.8.0.347 (R2009a)
MATLAB License Number: STUDENT
Operating System: Mac OS X  Version: 10.6.2 Build: 10C540
Java VM Version: Java 1.6.0_17-b04-248-10M3025 with Apple Inc. Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM mixed mode
Warning: No properly formatted Contents.m file was found for 'signal'.
> In ver>disp_single_toolbox at 424
  In ver at 81

------------------

I though the sig processing toolbox was standard for the student version?  What do I need to do to get it to work?

Thanks,
Mike
0
Michael
3/27/2010 8:13:05 PM
Dear Michael!

> Here is my output for ver signal:
> Warning: No properly formatted Contents.m file was found for 'signal'.

Please look in the Contents.m of the signal processing toolbox and tell us, what you find there. After the installation this file must be properly formatted!

Good luck, Jan
0
Jan
3/28/2010 12:33:05 AM
"Jan Simon" <matlab.THIS_YEAR@nMINUSsimon.de> wrote in message <hom841$sqi$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> Dear Michael!
>
> > Here is my output for ver signal:
> > Warning: No properly formatted Contents.m file was found for 'signal'.
>
> Please look in the Contents.m of the signal processing toolbox and tell us, what you find there. After the installation this file must be properly formatted!
>
> Good luck, Jan

Hi Jan,

thanks for the reply!

i think we're getting to the bottom of this...when going through the 'toolboxes' folder in my Matlab install directory, I see lots of toolbox folders, but not 'signal' or none that look like it.

Is the signal toolbox simply stored in a folder called signal with a path of toolboxes->signal?

Thanks, Mike
0
Michael
3/28/2010 5:31:08 PM
"Michael " <michael.zartarian@gmail.com> wrote in message <hoo3or$5n4$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> "Jan Simon" <matlab.THIS_YEAR@nMINUSsimon.de> wrote in message <hom841$sqi$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> > Dear Michael!
> >
> > > Here is my output for ver signal:
> > > Warning: No properly formatted Contents.m file was found for 'signal'.
> >
> > Please look in the Contents.m of the signal processing toolbox and tell us, what you find there. After the installation this file must be properly formatted!
> >
> > Good luck, Jan
>
> Hi Jan,
>
> thanks for the reply!
>
> i think we're getting to the bottom of this...when going through the 'toolboxes' folder in my Matlab install directory, I see lots of toolbox folders, but not 'signal' or none that look like it.
>
> Is the signal toolbox simply stored in a folder called signal with a path of toolboxes->signal?
>
> Thanks, Mike

it's (for r2010a prof)

     p=[matlabroot,filesep,'toolbox',filesep,'signal']
     dir(p);
%{
..          eml        sigdemos   sigtools
...         mcc.enc    signal     sptoolgui
%}
% however, your error message tells CSSM that your signal proc tbx is not installed...

us
0
us
3/28/2010 6:05:08 PM
> % however, your error message tells CSSM that your signal proc tbx is not installed...
>
> us

OK, no signal toolbox installed seems to be the case.

I thought it came standard in Matlab installs, even the student editions, no? I'll call Mathworks on Monday since this is essentially now a sales related issue.

I just want to do my homework at home and not drive to campus :-(

Thanks,
Mike
0
Michael
3/28/2010 6:20:23 PM

>> % however, your error message tells CSSM that your signal proc tbx is not
>> installed...
>>
>> us
>
> OK, no signal toolbox installed seems to be the case.
>
> I thought it came standard in Matlab installs, even the student editions,
> no? I'll call Mathworks on Monday since this is essentially now a sales
> related issue.

The Student Version does include Signal Processing Toolbox; for the
professional edition, it is an add-on product.

http://www.mathworks.com/academia/student_version/

From the fact that it's not installed indicates to me that either you didn't
select it (or deselected it) during the installation process, or that
something went wrong during the installation process and it was not
installed even when it should have been.  You may want to try reinstalling
and watching the progress of the installer to make sure that it does in fact
install this toolbox; if that doesn't resolve the problem then contacting
Technical Support for installation help is the right next step.

--
Steve Lord
slord@mathworks.com

0
Steven
3/29/2010 2:16:08 PM

> From the fact that it's not installed indicates to me that either you didn't
> select it (or deselected it) during the installation process, or that
> something went wrong during the installation process and it was not
> installed even when it should have been.  You may want to try reinstalling
> and watching the progress of the installer to make sure that it does in fact
> install this toolbox; if that doesn't resolve the problem then contacting
> Technical Support for installation help is the right next step.
>
> --
> Steve Lord
> slord@mathworks.com
> comp.soft-sys.matlab (CSSM) FAQ: http://matlabwiki.mathworks.com/MATLAB_FAQ

Steve,

Thanks for the reply.  Re-downloaded and re-installed.  Found the toolbox and I believe I am all set now.

Thanks to all who chimed in and helped me out so I can move on to using Matlab for the good stuff (DSP homework).

Mike
0
Michael