Continue Entering Statement - how to exit or quit

Let us assume that I entered this command:

m	= [’J’,’o’,’h’,’n’]

Immediately after it I am getting into the so called "Continue Entering Statement" mode.

How can I exit this mode and continue to enter correct commands, such as:
M =[12;34;56]

Thanks!
0
Sofia
7/26/2010 2:42:04 PM
comp.soft-sys.matlab 210004 articles. 11 followers. lunamoonmoon (258) is leader. Post Follow

"Sofia Häggberg" <hd.int.assNOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote in message <i2k6rs$951$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> Let us assume that I entered this command:
>
> m	= [&#8217;J&#8217;,&#8217;o&#8217;,&#8217;h&#8217;,&#8217;n&#8217;]
>
> Immediately after it I am getting into the so called "Continue Entering Statement" mode.
>
> How can I exit this mode and continue to enter correct commands, such as:
> M =[12;34;56]
>
> Thanks!

What is the "Continue Entering Statement" mode?  Did you type "..." somewhere that you're not showing us?  When I type

m = ['J','o','h','n']

and hit enter, MATLAB correctly displays

m =
John
0
Andy
7/26/2010 2:54:04 PM
"Sofia Häggberg" <hd.int.assNOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote in message <i2k6rs$951$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> Let us assume that I entered this command:
>
> m	= [&#8217;J&#8217;,&#8217;o&#8217;,&#8217;h&#8217;,&#8217;n&#8217;]
>
> Immediately after it I am getting into the so called "Continue Entering Statement" mode.
>
> How can I exit this mode and continue to enter correct commands, such as:
> M =[12;34;56]
>
> Thanks!

do you use the correct apostrophes(?)...

     m = ['J','o','h','n']
     n=[12;34;56]

us
0
us
7/26/2010 2:55:22 PM
"Sofia Häggberg" <hd.int.assNOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote in message <i2k6rs$951$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> Let us assume that I entered this command:
>
> m	= [&#8217;J&#8217;,&#8217;o&#8217;,&#8217;h&#8217;,&#8217;n&#8217;]
>
> Immediately after it I am getting into the so called "Continue Entering Statement" mode.
>
> How can I exit this mode and continue to enter correct commands, such as:
> M =[12;34;56]
>
> Thanks!

@Andy & @us

Both of you are right in some way!

I havent use the apostrophes that you used @Andy! And that generated problems :(

I have use this apostrophe &#8217; instead of ' and that lead me to the so called Continue Entering Statement... and what is this?

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/4103/screen1c.jpg

If you left-down where is the start button you will see that text!

And I am curious to know more about this... could someone explain it to me?

To posts about the same problem (which I am not able to understand so much):
http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/newsreader/view_thread/252795
http://www.mathworks.de/matlabcentral/newsreader/view_thread/138903

But may help you to explain it to me!

Thanks!
0
Sofia
7/26/2010 3:32:04 PM
"Sofia Häggberg" <hd.int.assNOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote in message <i2k9pk$llp$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> "Sofia Häggberg" <hd.int.assNOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote in message <i2k6rs$951$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> > Let us assume that I entered this command:
> >
> > m	= [&#8217;J&#8217;,&#8217;o&#8217;,&#8217;h&#8217;,&#8217;n&#8217;]
> >
> > Immediately after it I am getting into the so called "Continue Entering Statement" mode.
> >
> > How can I exit this mode and continue to enter correct commands, such as:
> > M =[12;34;56]
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> @Andy & @us
>
> Both of you are right in some way!
>
> I havent use the apostrophes that you used @Andy! And that generated problems :(
>
> I have use this apostrophe &#8217; instead of ' and that lead me to the so called Continue Entering Statement... and what is this?
>
> http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/4103/screen1c.jpg
>
> If you left-down where is the start button you will see that text!
>
> And I am curious to know more about this... could someone explain it to me?
>
> To posts about the same problem (which I am not able to understand so much):
> http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/newsreader/view_thread/252795
> http://www.mathworks.de/matlabcentral/newsreader/view_thread/138903
>
> But may help you to explain it to me!
>
> Thanks!

the statement starts with an [

     [cmplt_ ... % <- ... is the syntax for continuing
          <other stuff>

but you're missing the closing ]

          <stuff>,'all');
% instead of
          <stuff>,'all')];

that's why the editor thinks you want to continue...

us
0
us
7/26/2010 3:45:21 PM
"Sofia Häggberg" <hd.int.assNOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote in message <i2k6rs$951$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> Let us assume that I entered this command:
>
> m	= [&#8217;J&#8217;,&#8217;o&#8217;,&#8217;h&#8217;,&#8217;n&#8217;]
>
> Immediately after it I am getting into the so called "Continue Entering Statement" mode.
>
> How can I exit this mode and continue to enter correct commands, such as:
> M =[12;34;56]
>
> Thanks!

So how to say stop (quit or exit) to the editor I dont want to continue anymore?

Sofia
7/26/2010 3:55:20 PM
"Sofia Häggberg" <hd.int.assNOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote in message <i2kb58$l2d$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> "Sofia Häggberg" <hd.int.assNOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote in message <i2k6rs$951$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> > Let us assume that I entered this command:
> >
> > m	= [&#8217;J&#8217;,&#8217;o&#8217;,&#8217;h&#8217;,&#8217;n&#8217;]
> >
> > Immediately after it I am getting into the so called "Continue Entering Statement" mode.
> >
> > How can I exit this mode and continue to enter correct commands, such as:
> > M =[12;34;56]
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> So how to say stop (quit or exit) to the editor I dont want to continue anymore?

well... did you read my reply above(?)...

us
0
us
7/26/2010 4:22:08 PM
You need to type the word:  return

then hit the return (or enter key).  You are in KEYBOARD mode, your parenthesis and brackets are balanced.
0
Matt
7/26/2010 6:08:04 PM
"Matt Fig" wrote in message <i2kiu4$ktf$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> You need to type the word:  return
>
> then hit the return (or enter key).  You are in KEYBOARD mode, your parenthesis and brackets are balanced.
0
Pawan

exit() or sys.exit()
What is the difference on exit() and sys.exit() when called in the main body of a script? From the command line they seem to have the same effect. Aside: Just used a python dictionary in which the keys were compiled regular expressions. Provided a very elegant solution. Have to love it. Brendan wrote: > What is the difference on exit() and sys.exit() when called in the > main body of a script? From the command line they seem to have the > same effect. In Python <=2.4 you had to use sys.exit() because __builtins__.exit() griped: tchase@asgix:~$ python2.4 Python 2.4.4 (#2,...

Sys.exit() does not fully exit
I have this script: import os, thread, threading, time, sys class Script1(threading.Thread): def run(self): os.system('runScript1.py') class Script2(threading.Thread): def run(self): os.system('runScript2.py') if __name__ == '__main__': s = Script1() s.start() time.sleep(5) a = Script2() a.start() time.sleep(5) while True: answer = raw_input('Type "x" to shutdown: ') if answer == 'x': print 'Shutting down....' time.sleep(1) pri...

How to exit an executing program without quitting matlab
hi, By having a 'exit' or 'quit' inside a matlab program, I end up quitting matlab, not just the program under execution. How do i just exit the program. Thanks Rgards Sankar Try, control-c Alternately, you can investigate the debugging tools such as: >> help break >> help dbstop Sankar wrote: > > > hi, > By having a 'exit' or 'quit' inside a matlab program, I end up > quitting matlab, not just the program under execution. How do i > just > exit the program. > > Thanks > Rgards > Sankar see e.g., <return>...

F9 Code Running & Continue Entering Statement
Hi, I was just wondering what the reason might be for code execution to intermittently stop in the Command Window, giving me a "Continue entering statement" message when I've highlighted executable lines in the editor and pressed F9 to run it. If the answer is that a hard-return is required in my code, just as you would need when entering commands in the Command Window, I've already tried inputting them in my editor and still get the same result. Any tips would be appreciated. Hakan Korkut wrote: > > > Hi, > > I was just wondering what the reason might be f...

Using timer function in Matab
I am trying to implement a timer in Matlab to synchronize its data acquisition with a data logging device. Hence, i need something accurate, and not simply loops that fluctuates with processor speed. I have implemented the code shown below in an m-file: t = timer('TimerFcn','disp(''Hello World!'')','StartDelay', 2); start(t) delete(t); Its wierd, but the program stops at the 1st line, and gives me "continue entering statement" in the main matlab window. I have tried to key in the first two lines in the main matlab window, and it works. It ...

sys.stderr.write and sys.exit
Is the same use _sys.stderr.write('error message'); sys.exit(1)_ than _sys.exit('error message')_ ? Note: help(sys.exit) If the status is omitted or None, it defaults to zero (i.e., success). If the status is numeric, it will be used as the system exit status. If it is another kind of object, it will be printed and the system exit status will be one (i.e., failure). "GinTon" <jonas.esp@googlemail.com> writes: > Is the same use _sys.stderr.write('error message'); sys.exit(1)_ > than _sys.exit('error message')_ ? (Note: The underscore &...

'continue entering statement' + F9 code running -> possible bug?
Hi, I'm repeatedly experiencing a problem that has been discussed before (without a solution): http://www.mathworks.de/matlabcentral/newsreader/view_thread/138903 I am highlighting code in the Matlab editor, then try to run it by pressing 'F9'. Quite often, especially when for/if commands, function calls or line continuation statements ('...') are present in the highlighted code, I get a 'Continue entering statement' in the status bar. Hitting 'Enter' in the Command window does nothing except giving me a new line. Same with other expressions: 'end'...

if statement in an elseif block with a preceeding exit statement
I get this error message with this page: "Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/dhandler/ public_html/fakerockridge/tracing_reports.php on line 74". It is just an if/else problem. The line 74 is here: if($_POST['assign']=='Open in Excel'){ The preceeding elseif line has to go first: }elseif($_POST['redirect']&&$_POST['redirect']!=$_SERVER['PHP_SELF']){ Header("Location: ".$_POST['redirect'].".php?id=".$_POST['id']); exit; First we must know if there has been a sele...

m-file exiting without exiting Matlab
Matlab Users, I am sure Matlab can do this but haven't figured out how to implement this. I am building my own m-file and want to exit my m-file as part of a logic case but don't want to have to exit out of Matlab and then reload Matlab and then reload my m-file. What I want to do is exit out of the m- file and reload the m-file with very little down time. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks, Jim Jim Tedesco wrote: > Matlab Users, > > I am sure Matlab can do this but haven't figured out how to > implement this. I am building my own m-file and want to ...

exit or finish an m-file program but not exit matlab
Hello, I'm searching for something that would terminate an m-file program, sort of like "return 0" in C++. I have a condition that, if true, should give certain results and then stop the program. But I don't want to exit matlab, I want to see the results. I just don't want to continue with the rest of the code. I know about "quit" and "exit", but these shut down matlab, so I'm just wondering if there is anything else or should I put "if - else" statements to run the parts of the code that I want? Thank you! Hugh >> doc ret...

exit a script, but don't exit matlab
I can't seem to find a command that will exit a script without exiting matlab. Did I miss it, or is that not supported? Thanks. sorry, found it... return The command you want is "return" radar <lcaruso@tds.net> wrote in message <1451405534.94769.1273340521459.JavaMail.root@gallium.mathforum.org>... > I can't seem to find a command that will exit a script without exiting matlab. Did I miss it, or is that not supported? Thanks. ...

Exiting ISQL with / w/o exit & quit
Which is Suitable 1) or 2): 1) isql -Usa -Ppassword -Sserver_name << EOF go select * from table go EOF 2) isql -Usa -Ppassword -Sserver_name << EOF go select * from table go quit EOF Here in case 1) ,we r not exiting ISQL using exit or quit command. In this case , will the session be remained open/ resource might not be free properly. Or it is perfectly fine i.e. 2) does not give any advantage. There is no difference - in both cases the connection will get closed correctly. Michael michael.peppler@gmail.com wrote: > There is no difference - ...

Exiting Matlab
I have a very "simple" question. I run Matlab 5.3 under Windows XP. I create about 20 Figures with various subplots showing several multidimensional functions, which takes a couple of minutes to calculate. When I exit Matlab, it takes much longer time (ten minutes!!) to close all these 20 windows. Why? Can one reduce the exit time? (Interruption Matlab with the Windows ActivityManager gives the same effect). On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 16:30:12 -0500, Michael Brown wrote: > I have a very "simple" question. > I run Matlab 5.3 under Windows XP. I create about 20 Figur...

CONTINUE/EXIT
Has anyone on this list ever experienced any difficulties/unexpected behaviors using "CONTINUE" or "EXIT" in a loop? One of my colleagues has mentioned she has had problems with "CONTINUE" not behaving as expected in the past. Thanks, danny drdanny wrote: > Has anyone on this list ever experienced any difficulties/unexpected > behaviors using "CONTINUE" or "EXIT" in a loop? One of my colleagues > has mentioned she has had problems with "CONTINUE" not behaving as > expected in the past. Always worked fin...

quit matlab
I put quit force at the end of my .m file like this: function Ys = scale2(Y) % Scale the dataset into the one having zero means and unit variances % Usage: Ys = scale(Y) Y=load('velocity.dat') Mu = mean(Y); Sd = std(Y); if any(Sd == 0) ind = find(Sd == 0); error(['Feature ' num2str(ind) ' of Y1 cannot be scaled']) end for i = 1:size(Y,2) Ys(:,i) = (Y(:,i) - Mu(i))/Sd(i); end save vel.out Ys -ascii quit force Still it doesn't work?What is the problem?I want to terminate MATLAB. On 4/11/2012 7:15 AM, Milenko wrote: > > qui...

quit or exit
Can we pass quit or exit command from commandline? I want to do the following: matlab -r my script It starts matlab and runs myscript but I want to close the matlab after myscript has run from the commandline. How can I do that? "n o s p a m p l e a s e" <nospam.please@srivastava.mailshell.com> wrote in message news:e9a7db06.0403020721.14a895c9@posting.google.com... > Can we pass quit or exit command from commandline? > > I want to do the following: > > matlab -r my script > > It starts matlab and runs myscript but I want to close the matlab ...

how to make Matlab quit on an error ("quit if error"?)
I have a real-time GUI application where it is useless for the Matlab console to sit waiting at the prompt after an error occurs, because the user only understands clicking buttons, etc. So I'm after an analog to the "dbstop if error" command, so that Matlab quits after an error. (Then the user restarts the application, and I'll examine the logfile for the error message.) Any ideas? TIA try A(nan) = 9; catch quit end ...

Exiting from matlab
I am working in matlab to solve a portfloio optimization problem using fmincon function. However to some extreme cases the fmincon function goes into an infinite llop without producing any results. I have tried using the FunValCheck ste to On option now the function exists with an error on my local machine. However when i use the same on the server, it does produce the error rather it again goes into infinite loop. I am now unsure if the option FunValCheck hel;ps in exiting of matlab as this is very important for me. Does the function really help in exiting of matlab? if not what other means...

sys.exit()
In a code such as: if len(sys.argv) < 2: print "I need arguments!" sys.exit(1) Is sys.exit() really a good choice? Is there something more elegant? (I tried return but it is valid only in a function) -- -- Every sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology - Arthur C Anticlarke "Ivan Voras" <ivoras@fer.hr> wrote in news:bm3msp$fjo$1@bagan.srce.hr: > In a code such as: > > if len(sys.argv) < 2: > print "I need arguments!" > sys.exit(1) > > Is sys.exit() really a good choice? Is ther...

Continuation
Why does the following code print the line "doing other stuff" twice? def cc puts "do A" puts "----> 1. #{caller}" callcc { |cont| return cont} puts "----> 2. #{caller}" puts "do B" end puts "calling cc" cont = cc() puts "doing other stuff" cont.call() if cont puts "end of work" puts OUTPUT: calling cc do A ----> 1. remove2.rb:59 doing other stuff ----> 2. remove2.rb:59 do B doing other stuff end of work Responding to michelemendel@gmail.com: > Why does the following code ...

do..while statement in Matlab?
Dear All, I�m a novice to Matlab & this question may sound silly.i found that i need to use a do..while statement like the way we use Repeat..Until in C or something similar in other programming languages. I need my loop to be executed atleast once before deciding whether to continue with it or not. The obvious way in Matlab which i found was to repeat the code twice ie., use it once & then put it in a while loop. But, is there any other way to get rid of this repetetion of code, it would be nice to have something like a do..while. i saw in help that this is possible in Simulink but C...

what are the similar statements in macro for LEAVE , STOP and CONTINUE statements in Data step?
Hi All, I have got 2 questions. In data step (e.g in do loop) we use LEAVE and STOP statements. 1) While writing Macros, what can we use instead of LEAVE ,STOP and CONTINUE statements. I didn't see anything like %LEAVE, %STOP or %CONTINUE. 2) Also what does %ABORT statement do? Regards, Amar Mundankar. ...

atexit, sys.exit, sys.exitfunc, reaching end of source code
Hi, I am playing with the atexit module but I don't find a way to see the difference between a script calling sys.exit(<returncode>) and the interpreting arriving at the end of the source code file. This has a semantic difference for my applications. Is there a way to determine in an exithandler (that is registered using atexit.register) how I exited? Second question: is there a way to determine in my exithandler what the return code was. atexit doesn't seem to support that Third question: I can solve part of my problem by reassigning sys.exit = myfunction Is that a wise idea?...

when quit was called after starting another matlab session, it doesn't quit
Hello, I am running a m-script that makes a lot of memory leak, and it reaches 2GB in about 3 hours. Since I am calling a lot of functions that somebody else created, I figured it is easier to just restart the function whenever it reaches memory maximum, and resume the loop. So, I implemented [!matlab -r myMscript] in the loop, but it won't quit so it won't free up the memory. For example, the following script doesn't quit the matlab. for i = 1:100, if mod(i,20)==0, !matlab -r test=1 quit end end My matlab version is 7.7.0.471, and I have...

Web resources about - Continue Entering Statement - how to exit or quit - comp.soft-sys.matlab

User:Jimbo Wales/Statement of principles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
As we move forward with software and social changes, I think it is imperative that I state clearly and forcefully my views on openness and the ...

Category:Articles containing potentially dated statements from June 2006 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ...

Stuart Robert: Labor demands 'full statement' on trip to China, meeting with Chinese Government Minister ...
Federal Minister Stuart Robert under pressure to explain his trip to Beijing, amid revelations he met a Chinese Government Minister.

John Lewis Gives Misleading Statement on Bernie Sanders, Hillary Clinton
Rep. John Lewis issued a statement Thursday downplaying Bernie Sanders's role in the Civil Rights movement of the 1960s.

Donald Trump rips Ted Cruz in closing statement - Business Insider Deutschland
Donald Trump attacked Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) in his closing statement at the ABC News Republican debate on Saturday night.

Gov. Greg Abbott Statement Says Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia Has Died
Abbott said Scalia's "loyalty to the Constitution set an unmatched example" for Americans.

Cousins: Bigs 'made a statement' winning 2016 Skills Competition
... Search 54° Navigation Home Giants A's Sharks Warriors Kings 49ers Raiders Quakes Insiders More Tickets Shop Watch Cousins: Bigs 'made a statement' ...

Ginsburg Mourns Scalia’s Death In Moving Statement
'It was my great good fortune to have known him as working colleague and treasured friend.'

DSA speaks out on Steinem's statement
Here is part of the NPC Statement on Gloria Steinem. Gloria Steinem, who supports former Secretary of State Hill...

Iman Honors David Bowie With Her Own Fashion Statement Amid Grammys Tribute
Washington Post Iman Honors David Bowie With Her Own Fashion Statement Amid Grammys Tribute E! Online Iman is honoring David Bowie in her ...