Continue Entering Statement - how to exit or quit

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

Let us assume that I entered this command:

m	= [’J’,’o’,’h’,’n’]

Immediately after it I am getting into the so called "Continue Entering Statement" mode.

How can I exit this mode and continue to enter correct commands, such as:
M =[12;34;56]

Thanks!
0
Reply Sofia 7/26/2010 2:42:04 PM

See related articles to this posting

"Sofia Häggberg" <hd.int.assNOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote in message <i2k6rs$951$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> Let us assume that I entered this command:
>
> m	= [&#8217;J&#8217;,&#8217;o&#8217;,&#8217;h&#8217;,&#8217;n&#8217;]
>
> Immediately after it I am getting into the so called "Continue Entering Statement" mode.
>
> How can I exit this mode and continue to enter correct commands, such as:
> M =[12;34;56]
>
> Thanks!

What is the "Continue Entering Statement" mode?  Did you type "..." somewhere that you're not showing us?  When I type

m = ['J','o','h','n']

and hit enter, MATLAB correctly displays

m =
John
0
Reply Andy 7/26/2010 2:54:04 PM

"Sofia Häggberg" <hd.int.assNOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote in message <i2k6rs$951$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> Let us assume that I entered this command:
>
> m	= [&#8217;J&#8217;,&#8217;o&#8217;,&#8217;h&#8217;,&#8217;n&#8217;]
>
> Immediately after it I am getting into the so called "Continue Entering Statement" mode.
>
> How can I exit this mode and continue to enter correct commands, such as:
> M =[12;34;56]
>
> Thanks!

do you use the correct apostrophes(?)...

     m = ['J','o','h','n']
     n=[12;34;56]

us
0
Reply us 7/26/2010 2:55:22 PM

"Sofia Häggberg" <hd.int.assNOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote in message <i2k6rs$951$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> Let us assume that I entered this command:
>
> m	= [&#8217;J&#8217;,&#8217;o&#8217;,&#8217;h&#8217;,&#8217;n&#8217;]
>
> Immediately after it I am getting into the so called "Continue Entering Statement" mode.
>
> How can I exit this mode and continue to enter correct commands, such as:
> M =[12;34;56]
>
> Thanks!

@Andy & @us

Both of you are right in some way!

I havent use the apostrophes that you used @Andy! And that generated problems :(

I have use this apostrophe &#8217; instead of ' and that lead me to the so called Continue Entering Statement... and what is this?

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/4103/screen1c.jpg

If you left-down where is the start button you will see that text!

And I am curious to know more about this... could someone explain it to me?

To posts about the same problem (which I am not able to understand so much):
http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/newsreader/view_thread/252795
http://www.mathworks.de/matlabcentral/newsreader/view_thread/138903

But may help you to explain it to me!

Thanks!
0
Reply Sofia 7/26/2010 3:32:04 PM

"Sofia Häggberg" <hd.int.assNOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote in message <i2k9pk$llp$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> "Sofia Häggberg" <hd.int.assNOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote in message <i2k6rs$951$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> > Let us assume that I entered this command:
> >
> > m	= [&#8217;J&#8217;,&#8217;o&#8217;,&#8217;h&#8217;,&#8217;n&#8217;]
> >
> > Immediately after it I am getting into the so called "Continue Entering Statement" mode.
> >
> > How can I exit this mode and continue to enter correct commands, such as:
> > M =[12;34;56]
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> @Andy & @us
>
> Both of you are right in some way!
>
> I havent use the apostrophes that you used @Andy! And that generated problems :(
>
> I have use this apostrophe &#8217; instead of ' and that lead me to the so called Continue Entering Statement... and what is this?
>
> http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/4103/screen1c.jpg
>
> If you left-down where is the start button you will see that text!
>
> And I am curious to know more about this... could someone explain it to me?
>
> To posts about the same problem (which I am not able to understand so much):
> http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/newsreader/view_thread/252795
> http://www.mathworks.de/matlabcentral/newsreader/view_thread/138903
>
> But may help you to explain it to me!
>
> Thanks!

the statement starts with an [

     [cmplt_ ... % <- ... is the syntax for continuing
          <other stuff>

but you're missing the closing ]

          <stuff>,'all');
% instead of
          <stuff>,'all')];

that's why the editor thinks you want to continue...

us
0
Reply us 7/26/2010 3:45:21 PM

"Sofia Häggberg" <hd.int.assNOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote in message <i2k6rs$951$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> Let us assume that I entered this command:
>
> m	= [&#8217;J&#8217;,&#8217;o&#8217;,&#8217;h&#8217;,&#8217;n&#8217;]
>
> Immediately after it I am getting into the so called "Continue Entering Statement" mode.
>
> How can I exit this mode and continue to enter correct commands, such as:
> M =[12;34;56]
>
> Thanks!

So how to say stop (quit or exit) to the editor I dont want to continue anymore?

Reply Sofia 7/26/2010 3:55:20 PM

"Sofia Häggberg" <hd.int.assNOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote in message <i2kb58$l2d$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> "Sofia Häggberg" <hd.int.assNOSPAM@gmail.com> wrote in message <i2k6rs$951$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> > Let us assume that I entered this command:
> >
> > m	= [&#8217;J&#8217;,&#8217;o&#8217;,&#8217;h&#8217;,&#8217;n&#8217;]
> >
> > Immediately after it I am getting into the so called "Continue Entering Statement" mode.
> >
> > How can I exit this mode and continue to enter correct commands, such as:
> > M =[12;34;56]
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> So how to say stop (quit or exit) to the editor I dont want to continue anymore?

well... did you read my reply above(?)...

us
0
Reply us 7/26/2010 4:22:08 PM

You need to type the word:  return

then hit the return (or enter key).  You are in KEYBOARD mode, your parenthesis and brackets are balanced.
0
Reply Matt 7/26/2010 6:08:04 PM

"Matt Fig" wrote in message <i2kiu4$ktf$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> You need to type the word:  return
>
> then hit the return (or enter key).  You are in KEYBOARD mode, your parenthesis and brackets are balanced.
0
Reply Pawan 2/26/2014 10:57:08 PM

  • submit to reddit
  • Email
  • Follow

F9 Code Running & Continue Entering Statement
Hi, I was just wondering what the reason might be for code execution to intermittently stop in the Command Window, giving me a "Continue entering statement" message when I've highlighted executable lines in the editor and pressed F9 to run it. If the answer is that a hard-return is required in my code, just as you would need when entering commands in the Command Window, I've already tried inputting them in my editor and still get the same result. Any tips would be appreciated. Hakan Korkut wrote: > > > Hi, > > I was just wondering what the reason might be f...

Using timer function in Matab
I am trying to implement a timer in Matlab to synchronize its data acquisition with a data logging device. Hence, i need something accurate, and not simply loops that fluctuates with processor speed. I have implemented the code shown below in an m-file: t = timer('TimerFcn','disp(''Hello World!'')','StartDelay', 2); start(t) delete(t); Its wierd, but the program stops at the 1st line, and gives me "continue entering statement" in the main matlab window. I have tried to key in the first two lines in the main matlab window, and it works. It ...

'continue entering statement' + F9 code running -> possible bug?
Hi, I'm repeatedly experiencing a problem that has been discussed before (without a solution): http://www.mathworks.de/matlabcentral/newsreader/view_thread/138903 I am highlighting code in the Matlab editor, then try to run it by pressing 'F9'. Quite often, especially when for/if commands, function calls or line continuation statements ('...') are present in the highlighted code, I get a 'Continue entering statement' in the status bar. Hitting 'Enter' in the Command window does nothing except giving me a new line. Same with other expressions: 'end'...

if statement in an elseif block with a preceeding exit statement
I get this error message with this page: "Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/dhandler/ public_html/fakerockridge/tracing_reports.php on line 74". It is just an if/else problem. The line 74 is here: if($_POST['assign']=='Open in Excel'){ The preceeding elseif line has to go first: }elseif($_POST['redirect']&&$_POST['redirect']!=$_SERVER['PHP_SELF']){ Header("Location: ".$_POST['redirect'].".php?id=".$_POST['id']); exit; First we must know if there has been a sele...

Exiting ISQL with / w/o exit & quit
Which is Suitable 1) or 2): 1) isql -Usa -Ppassword -Sserver_name << EOF go select * from table go EOF 2) isql -Usa -Ppassword -Sserver_name << EOF go select * from table go quit EOF Here in case 1) ,we r not exiting ISQL using exit or quit command. In this case , will the session be remained open/ resource might not be free properly. Or it is perfectly fine i.e. 2) does not give any advantage. There is no difference - in both cases the connection will get closed correctly. Michael michael.peppler@gmail.com wrote: > There is no difference - ...

quit or exit
Can we pass quit or exit command from commandline? I want to do the following: matlab -r my script It starts matlab and runs myscript but I want to close the matlab after myscript has run from the commandline. How can I do that? "n o s p a m p l e a s e" <nospam.please@srivastava.mailshell.com> wrote in message news:e9a7db06.0403020721.14a895c9@posting.google.com... > Can we pass quit or exit command from commandline? > > I want to do the following: > > matlab -r my script > > It starts matlab and runs myscript but I want to close the matlab ...

CONTINUE/EXIT
Has anyone on this list ever experienced any difficulties/unexpected behaviors using "CONTINUE" or "EXIT" in a loop? One of my colleagues has mentioned she has had problems with "CONTINUE" not behaving as expected in the past. Thanks, danny drdanny wrote: > Has anyone on this list ever experienced any difficulties/unexpected > behaviors using "CONTINUE" or "EXIT" in a loop? One of my colleagues > has mentioned she has had problems with "CONTINUE" not behaving as > expected in the past. Always worked fin...

what are the similar statements in macro for LEAVE , STOP and CONTINUE statements in Data step?
Hi All, I have got 2 questions. In data step (e.g in do loop) we use LEAVE and STOP statements. 1) While writing Macros, what can we use instead of LEAVE ,STOP and CONTINUE statements. I didn't see anything like %LEAVE, %STOP or %CONTINUE. 2) Also what does %ABORT statement do? Regards, Amar Mundankar. ...

Statement of variable continuity
One in need came rising and one not in need came riding on a camel came 1 and threaded a female writhing and threaded the needlessly a camel three-dimensionally through the eye of the needle and nonetheless many were still waiting to enter the kingdom "Martin Michael Musatov" <musatovatattdotnet@gmail.com> wrote in message news:96944574-0fac-4c2b-a2d1-087ab7cfa5c7@j4g2000yqj.googlegroups.com... > One in need came rising and one not in need came riding on a camel > came 1 and threaded a female writhing and threaded the needlessly a > camel three-dimensionall...

while statement exits too soon!
Hi Folks, In the following code: while read CURLINE do SCRIPT=${CURLINE} set +x sqlplus ${CONNECT_STRING} @${SQLDIR}/${SCRIPT} >> ${PRGLOGFILE} set -x done < $file I find the code exits after reading the first line! If the sqlplus code line is commented, the code completes all cycles. Let me know if anyone has seen this before! Saket On 2006-03-09, saketkhanna@gmail.com wrote: > Hi Folks, > > In the following code: > > while read CURLINE > do > SCRIPT=${CURLINE} > set +x > sqlplus ${CONNECT_STRING} @${...

Help with ENTER Statement
Hi All: I am working with a Tandem COBOL program which uses ENTER Statements to call C language programs. These statements employ "USING" "GIVING" constructs: < ENTER C "BLAHBLAH" USING WS_BLAH_BLAH WS_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH GIVING WS_MORE_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH > I need to see the "Official" Tandem syntax for this statement, but after 3 full days of internet and library searches I'm starting to wonder if any Tandem COBOL manuals/references still exist. HP COBOL describes an abbreviated ENTER statement: < ENTER language program_name >...

optional exit statement
here is an easier version of what i want to do Code: #!/bin/bash echo "Enter file name" echo "You can enter maximum 3 file" for (( i=1; i<=3;i++)) until [ "$*" = "" ] do echo "Enter file ${i}" read fil_$i done //do the rest of the code the probleam is, my input needs three input. but what i want to do is to put an optin of optional break, say instead of three, i have only one input ...so, if i put "0", the code should ixit for loop and do the rest of the things. how can i do that? On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 04:20:02 -0300, rudra &...

error and exit statements
Hi everyone It is common practice to write Exit_Some: 'A Exit Sub|Function Err_Some: 'B resume exit_some However, in my work I call line A it and line B err, is there something wrong with simplifying this???? it: 'A Exit Sub|Function err: 'B resume exit_some --- Please immediately let us know (by phone or return email) if (a) this email contains a virus (b) you are not the intended recipient (c) you consider this email to be spam. We have done ou...

WAIT UNTIL exit statement
I'm testing the mark/space of a clock burst (10 cycles, every now & again). I wait for the first rising edge (another evnt occurs just beforehand, so I know when to start looking), I record the time, then go into a loop wait for the falling edge, record the time calc the high time, wait for the rising record the time, calc the low time and then comapre hi & lo times to are to within the required percent mark space After ten loops, the the loop exits and the process then starts afresh waiting for the initial trigger event. All well & good so far. However, a reset can occur at ...

Press enter to continue
My friend is trying to code a small c program where he wants to force the user to press enter and only enter to continue. Currently he is using getchar() with a loop but you can type any number of characters, which are echoed to screen before you have to press enter. For example:- do { /* Begin loop */ printf("\Press Enter"); /* Output to screen */ } while ((ch = getchar()) != '\n') ; /* While ( Condition - must press enter ) */ junk mail <michael.rook@ntlworld.com> scribbled the following: > My friend is trying to co...

Continuing fprintf statements
This has got to be easy! Can long fprintf statements be continued? e.g., suppose I have a long format string inside an fprintf statement like the following (this is an attempt to set up column headers across a page like we used to do with FORTRAN in the old 132-column line printer days). fprintf(NTAPE6,' TEMP HE - THETA HE - S G - TS\n') It seems like all the obvious attempts at using ellipses "..." (or not using them) generates errors. Thanks! Ken <kbannister@ara.com> writes: > This has got to be easy! Can long fprintf statements be continued? > &...

Exiting or Quiting AutoCAD
Hi all, Is there a way to EXIT or QUIT Autocad without confirming weather to save drawing or not. I sometimes open many drawings at one time and then modify one or several drawings, but when I EXIT or QUIT I have to confirm Save or not each drawing. I know it will be my reasonability to make sure I save any modified drawing. Your will be greatly appreciated ! FYI Using AutoCAD 2005 - XP-PC Windows only Charlie If you don't pan, zoom or change anything acad will just exit. I don't know of any way to do what you want from acad. You could use the operating system........

Mafia enter/exit vehicle?
What is the control to do this? I'm on the molotov party mission, and have gotten to the bar, but cannot figure out how to get out of the car. Thanks, Nickolas <nickolas80@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1140302796.204580.218930@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > What is the control to do this? > I'm on the molotov party mission, and have gotten to the bar, but > cannot figure out how to get out of the car. > > Thanks, > Nickolas > Holy shit! Are you serious man? I don't remember the standard key binding because I played it ages ago, but if y...

Why not an EXIT statement for an if ... endif construct ?
Suppose you have a lot of things happening inside an if-endif construct, but a certain condition skips all of it: IF (something) THEN some stuff IF (.NOT.EXITCONDITION) THEN Lots of other stuff ENDIF ENDIF Wouldn't it be more legible programming to be able to say IF (something) THEN some stuff IF (EXITCONDITION) EXIT Lots of other stuff ENDIF This can of course be achieved with the dreaded Go to or by enclosing the whole code inside a dummy DO loop running from 1 to 1. Hello, "Exit from any labeled construct" is a feature on the work list for f08. See http://www.j...

Is there a way to exit from loop statements?
Is there a way to exit from loop statements? I assume you mean with SKILL?! Normal Loop prog( ( i ) i = 1 while( i <= 10 printf( "I = %n\n" i ) i++ ) ) Exit from Loop prog( ( i ) i = 1 while( i <= 10 printf( "I = %n\n" i ) i++ when( i == 5 return( i ) ) ) ) But this is not a popper programming manner, as you might know. There may be other programming ways to solve your problem. Bernd Rajeswaran M wrote: > Is there a way to exit from loop statements? ...

exit from command and continue the script
How do I exit the top command(continous running command supplied by IBM-AIX 4.3) to capture the output of it in a text file for parsing, every minute. I execute this in a shell script. Thanks in advance. Ram wrote: > How do I exit the top command(continous running command supplied by > IBM-AIX > 4.3) to capture the output of it in a text file for parsing, every > minute. I execute this in a shell script. Ummm.... Is this related to Java? If so, how? -- Andrew Thompson * http://www.PhySci.org/ Open-source software suite * http://www.PhySci.org/codes/ Web & IT Help * http...

quit/exit in cron scripts
Is there any way to have a quit or exit in a matlab script that only works when teh scfript is run from the command line with -r, such as when it is a cron job. This would allow me to run the same script as a cron and from the MATLAB prompt. On 18 Des, 13:05, "dormant" <rod.stew...@uwiseismic.com> wrote: > Is there any way to have a quit or exit in a matlab script that only works when teh scfript is run from the command line with -r, such as when it is a cron job. > > This would allow me to run the same script as a cron and from the MATLAB prompt. In the matlab doc...

Halt, stop, quit, exit?
Does Python have a command that just stops all processing? Simon On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 13:55:19 +0100, Simon Faulkner <news@titanic.co.uk> wrote: >Does Python have a command that just stops all processing? Yes : sys.exit (value) See the library docs for details. However, IMO this is normally the wrong thing. I would normally raise an exception, and the outer level of processing would have a try block that catches all exceptions (by name for those which can be anticipated) reporting details of why the program stopped. Should you decide that later that you only want to abort part o...

Exit/Continue handler for any errors
Is there a way to declare exit/continue handler for what ever errors that happen in a compound statement?The reason I am asking this is, I am doing more than one dcl in the statement, I may get a 'table already exists' or 'parent row not found' errors. I just want to log them in a table instead of running the SP and piping the output to a text log,go through the rigor of reading it. Please help.. Arun Srinivasan wrote: > Is there a way to declare exit/continue handler for what ever errors > that happen in a compound statement?The reason I am asking this is, I &g...