Control of Matlab event loop from C or Matlab

I was wondering if there is a way to control Matlab event loop? Is
there a way to make Matlab be able to respond to key presses in Matlab
GUI or call from C (via engine) and to either pause or stop its
execution. I know that Matlab can execute items on its 'event queue'
when pause() or drawnow() etc are called, but that means that I have to
explicitly  put those in the code. Is there some way that would be more
elegant?

Second question is about the 'event queue.' How does one add things to
the event queue? How can I add a call from, say, C engine such as
evalString() to the event queue?

any help/advice appreciated,
Patrycja

0